Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I want to visit the parallel universe where the Clone Wars movie we got was left as 4 episodes, or was only screened as a tv film or something. And then the Clone Wars theatrical release could have been one of the better, more technically impressive, story arcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MisterBibs posted:

The first major chunk of RLM's review of TFA was kvetching that the newer generation is already complaining that the younger generation was already realizing that the prequels were just as fine as the originals, undeserving of the hate they got.

20 years from now, there won't be people around (or at least listened to) that remember there was outrage about them at all.

what

they're bad movies

this isn't some conspiratorial narrative by hateful nerds, they're just bad

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Saving Private Ryan was dumb and all the characters were cyphers. None of them ever explained how they had wound up in the US Army in France (not sure about this, the names were confusing) or why they were fighting the Nazis (again, names are hard and I might have misremembered this?). Why does the titular private (can't remember his name either) stay and fight? I think the movie needed some reshoots so every character had a monologue explaining what they were doing and why.

Plus also there was no tension, everyone knows the Nazis lose so the characters just went through the motions of the plot.

IIRC, Captain Miller was a kindergarten teacher who got drafted and is seen as a respected black tower leader by his soldiers, and shares this bit of information to distract his soldiers who are getting upset about their orders placing their lives below the life of another soldier for no reason other than the personal whim of someone with stars on their collar.

Private Ryan stays and fights because they've all got a common cause, and it in his estimation it is total bullshit that he somehow gets coddled with special treatment, and isn't going to turn his back on holding a very important bridge that is vital to the war effort. He ultimately lives and the soldiers sent to rescue him die, but they don't die in vain because his commitment to the greater cause gave their sacrifice meaning. Their orders threw their lives away of anyone that died at the expense of someone else's life that had no reason to matter more than theirs. Their actions in the end gave their lives meaning, in that every single loss they took from the landing to the bridge ended up being required to hold that bridge and ultimately protecting their brothers in arms and moving the ball forward forward on defeating the Nazis who were evil as gently caress and needed to be fought.

At least that is what I remember off the top of my head from when I saw it in theaters when it first came out. Sorry, Rogue One just wasn't a very good war movie in my opinion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Magic Hate Ball posted:

what

they're bad movies

this isn't some conspiratorial narrative by hateful nerds, they're just bad

Ah; they're actually pretty good. Not incredible, but good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

what

they're bad movies

They're good movies, and your children/grandchildren will roll their eyes when you talk about how bad they are. The cinematic equivalent of saying that football should be like Da Bears in 85.

Your legacy will be a "some people got mad at these movies" line on whatever incarnation of Kids React To Old Star Wars videos (since the prequels will be Old Star Wars, lumped with the OT).

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 17, 2016

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Some people just can't accept the obvious shittiness of the prequels.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The dialogue in Saving Private Ryan actively informs the viewer about the psychologies of the characters. The dialogue in Rogue One serves to move one scene to the next.

jivjov posted:

Ah; they're actually pretty good. Not incredible, but good.

meesa step in the poopy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Right, here's the thing about Rogue One. This is a movie that is "a statement, not a manifesto." It adds very little to the larger Star War idea. It's a strong genre exercise and a super fun demonstration of ideas that were already present, implicitly, in its seven predecessor films. Apparently (because we don't yet have any counterexamples), this is what separates the Anthology from the Episodes - Episodes develop the core ideas further, usually in unexpected directions.

Expectations are what cause movies to get backlash, so Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is going to have a very strong reputation.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Just got out of a vendor's kind iPIC viewing.

Good Bits:
-Pacing was pretty well done. No waiting around, stuff flowed nicely.
-The story seemed WAY more cohesive than TFA. That one just seemed disjointed as hell; this one unfolded in a consistent way.
-Action parts were all cool.
-The Death Star finally gets used in a way that makes it really earn its scary chops. Sure, whacking Alderaan was bad, but here it seemed more mobile and lethal and imminently threatening.

Bad Bits:

-CGI Tarkin stood out as noticeable. I went in with that expectation, but once I saw it I couldn't unsee it. Another person put it nicely: If it was an all-cgi movie it'd be OK, but around non-cgi people it stood out
-CGI Leia wasn't great. But it was 2 seconds and not really noticeable if you weren't looking for issues
-Jyn being rescued by Prince Caspian at the last second from a monologuing Bad Guy who killed her parents seems kinda lame. After her Big drat Speech at Yavin and the shuttle she doesn't do much more than freeclimb a tape library and push butan receive bacon align dish.
-Prince Caspian somehow surviving a fall straight out of a cartoon, then getting up and somehow making it to the roof was even more contrived
-The Westworld beach ending. At least Westworld acknowledged it was all artifice.

All in all it was hella-entertaining and better than at least 2 of the prequels.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 17, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I was rooting for the death star.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Super Fan posted:

I loathe the prequels and I'm glad they're mostly being ignored from here on out. 20 years from now they'll be rightfully forgotten.

I think what you'll see, as Disney feeds you interpolation/reboot after interpolation/reboot, is that people talk about the prequels as much or more. I mean, we are almost 20 years out from TPM already and still talking about it, and the innovation in the prequels by comparison to our first round of interpolation/reboots is already making the latter ;) good ;) Star Wars movies look kinda weaksauce.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I was rooting for the death star.

Yeah, Magic Hate Balls gotta stick together.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Cyclomatic posted:

IIRC, Captain Miller was a kindergarten teacher who got drafted and is seen as a respected black tower leader by his soldiers, and shares this bit of information to distract his soldiers who are getting upset about their orders placing their lives below the life of another soldier for no reason other than the personal whim of someone with stars on their collar.

Private Ryan stays and fights because they've all got a common cause, and it in his estimation it is total bullshit that he somehow gets coddled with special treatment, and isn't going to turn his back on holding a very important bridge that is vital to the war effort. He ultimately lives and the soldiers sent to rescue him die, but they don't die in vain because his commitment to the greater cause gave their sacrifice meaning. Their orders threw their lives away of anyone that died at the expense of someone else's life that had no reason to matter more than theirs. Their actions in the end gave their lives meaning, in that every single loss they took from the landing to the bridge ended up being required to hold that bridge and ultimately protecting their brothers in arms and moving the ball forward forward on defeating the Nazis who were evil as gently caress and needed to be fought.

At least that is what I remember off the top of my head from when I saw it in theaters when it first came out. Sorry, Rogue One just wasn't a very good war movie in my opinion.

I'm guessing that you actually picked all this up from the DVD commentary since everything you've said about Rogue One suggests that you have trouble inferring anything at all about how or why people behave. Rogue One's not exactly a deep or subtle movie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

homullus posted:

Hahaha. we did it!!!

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

homullus posted:

I think what you'll see, as Disney feeds you interpolation/reboot after interpolation/reboot, is that people talk about the prequels as much or more. I mean, we are almost 20 years out from TPM already and still talking about it, and the innovation in the prequels by comparison to our first round of interpolation/reboots is already making the latter ;) good ;) Star Wars movies look kinda weaksauce.

Nah, the prequels are a punchline at this point.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Regarding the final scene with Jyn and Cassian and why it was done that way, I thought it was a direct homage to the film Deep Impact. There's a bunch of props from that film sitting around the ILM offices - you can see them in the tour part of the Twitch livestream of the actors last week. Gareth probably got inspired to do that scene while hanging around ILM

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Bongo Bill posted:

Right, here's the thing about Rogue One. This is a movie that is "a statement, not a manifesto." It adds very little to the larger Star War idea. It's a strong genre exercise and a super fun demonstration of ideas that were already present, implicitly, in its seven predecessor films. Apparently (because we don't yet have any counterexamples), this is what separates the Anthology from the Episodes - Episodes develop the core ideas further, usually in unexpected directions.

Expectations are what cause movies to get backlash, so Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is going to have a very strong reputation.

Breaking new ground isn't required for having characters delivering dialog that both informs the viewer what makes that particular character tick and exposes the relationships between the characters only for the viewer to then watch how those various psychologies face their death or prospect thereof, and how they respond to the death of people they have known relationships with and respond to that.

Yes, the movie failed to deliver an expansion of the universe or its ideas as a whole. Nobody was really expecting it too, so no backlash.

However, the movie ALSO failed to deliver an inner self contained universe of characters within the movie that is literally what makes a war movie work. Anyone expecting a war movie didn't get one, so expect a bit of a backlash from people expecting an actual war movie.

The movie did showcase a metric shitload of new action figures and other starwars merch. So expect a strong reputation from people that wanted to watch a two hour long toy commercial (and there isn't anything wrong with that if that is your thing, but the movie was NOT sold as that).

edit:

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I'm guessing that you actually picked all this up from the DVD commentary since everything you've said about Rogue One suggests that you have trouble inferring anything at all about how or why people behave. Rogue One's not exactly a deep or subtle movie.

Since I saw the movie once in a theater, I really didn't. But you are 100% correct, Rogue One is not a deep or subtle movie. It is a very long high budget toy commercial, and I deeply recommend that anyone who wants to watch a Star Wars toy commercial head out and see this movie because it is absolutely amazing as that. I deeply caution people against seeing this in the theater if they want to see a war movie set in the Star Wars universe, as Rogue One doesn't even get close to even being half baked in that respect.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 17, 2016

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Goreld posted:

Regarding the final scene with Jyn and Cassian and why it was done that way, I thought it was a direct homage to the film Deep Impact. There's a bunch of props from that film sitting around the ILM offices - you can see them in the tour part of the Twitch livestream of the actors last week. Gareth probably got inspired to do that scene while hanging around ILM

That was what it reminded me of too, no kiss in that scene either.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Always sad when beloved robots die. Think that was the saddest death in the movie.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Vegetable posted:

Always sad when beloved robots die. Think that was the saddest death in the movie.

The only character i gave a poo poo about, probably because he sounded as cynical of life as i am.

*he died as he lived, pushing buttons*

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This was more of a frontal assault movie than a heist movie.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did you not notice her breaking down when she watched the hologram of her father explaining that he missed her, and what his plan for the Death Star was? She stays with Cassian in the hopes of seeing her father again because she was putting up a tough exterior and seeing him again cracked that exterior. Jyn finally gets to see him after 16 years or however long and he dies within minutes. She lashes out because the Rebels killed him but decides to take his message to the leaders anyway, because its what he wanted. They don't believe her so and she goes on the mission herself, with the people who do believe her. The Empire took her family, and has taken the families and lives of other people. She decides to fight against the Empire.

What's so hard to get about this?

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I liked how the war was portrayed in this. Assassinations, bombings, ambushes, espionage etc. Good poo poo.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

As much as I liked the robot (best character out of all of them), they just came off too much as a watered down version of HK 47. Was like watching another actor try and play a cannibal after Anthony Hopkins dropped the mic on that particular role for all time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's kinda silly how the scene with Diego Luna killing a single informant is supposed to convince us that rebels do bad things too. That scene later where Rogue One's volunteer are like "yeah we all done some nasty poo poo," no you haven't, we haven't seen it, nobody believes you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyclomatic posted:

As much as I liked the robot (best character out of all of them), they just came off too much as a watered down version of HK 47. Was like watching another actor try and play a cannibal after Anthony Hopkins dropped the mic on that particular role for all time.

There is a better version of Hannibal played by an actor who was in this film. :colbert:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I think there was originally a deeper movie being made but at some point got side tracked. The first quarter of the movie set up some things that never paid off. Prime examples are the Iraq insurgent battle and Saw being a not Vader.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The parts of the movie I liked best: everything that was actually new
The parts I liked worst: all the references and tie-ins to the other movies which ranged from harmless at best (the cantina guys) to tawdry at worst (the last 30 seconds)

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

UmOk posted:

I think there was originally a deeper movie being made but at some point got side tracked. The first quarter of the movie set up some things that never paid off. Prime examples are the Iraq insurgent battle and Saw being a not Vader.

I keep seeing people refer to him as "Saw." Was that really his name? I thought it sounded like Saul.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I thought the robot was a perfect amount of snark and not over the top.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

El Disco posted:

I keep seeing people refer to him as "Saw." Was that really his name? I thought it sounded like Saul.

I thought the same thing but no, it's officially Saw Gerrera.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So did anyone else get Uncanny Valley from seeing CGI Peter Cushing? Dude looked just a bitttt off

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just saw the movie. Was pretty great, much darker and moody than FA (still like both) without being angsty, the final end was a little long but very well done. The k2 was pretty awesome and reinforced the focus on free droids that FA hinted at (HK comparison is a little silly; K2 didn't hate anyone even jokingly. He was more like an active Marvin the Martian). Vader had a fat mask.

I was a little concerned by all the leaks about inserting a bunch of EU characters or whatever, but they didn't hog the screen, did their parts, and avoided the cardinal sin of incestual extended stories (not actually progressing through their arc).

The ending was good but the vader boarding pushed the themes in a very unsubtle and blunt way. It was still a nice sequence, but it felt like the product of a writer being told "put a Vader fight scene in" and making the best of it.

Vegetable posted:

It's kinda silly how the scene with Diego Luna killing a single informant is supposed to convince us that rebels do bad things too. That scene later where Rogue One's volunteer are like "yeah we all done some nasty poo poo," no you haven't, we haven't seen it, nobody believes you.

Did you miss the part where he was on a mission to kill her father, and only had doubts because of what she said? This being after lying to her about the mission, not informing the rebels that he could be a defector/not integral to the star, presumably planning on killing the pilot on the way back/during since y'know he was buddies with the father...etc.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 17, 2016

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Movie was really good, I liked that it was a bit of a different look at the war and the universe.

As much as the prequels were poo poo I think this movie could have stood to be a bit more like Revenge of the Sith, all the battles felt small scale and lacklustre to me

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Did you miss the part where he was on a mission to kill her father, and only had doubts because of what she said? This being after lying to her about the mission, not informing the rebels that he could be a defector/not integral to the star, presumably planning on killing the pilot on the way back/during since y'know he was buddies with the father...etc.
But we don't ever see this poo poo unfolding. Hell, it's barely even implied. The mission was only to kill the dad, a known Imperial collaborator. By any measure a modern audience sees this as part and parcel of war, like starfighters gunning each other down.

The only bad poo poo that the rebels do are hardly dark at all. Having them say "yeah we nasty" is at best humorous

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

Movie was really good, I liked that it was a bit of a different look at the war and the universe.

As much as the prequels were poo poo I think this movie could have stood to be a bit more like Revenge of the Sith, all the battles felt small scale and lacklustre to me

Well, the final battle was a surprised and scrambled Rebel fleet vs. An ambushed garrison on an unnotable planet (considering the Death Star plans were named after the protagonist its possible even the garrison didnt know what they had), the battle grows as it goes on but the RotS one was specifically two giant combined-force armies in active traditional war

I get what you mean though. They stumbled a little trying to juggle insurgent guerilla fights with large scale "Star Wars-y" space fights.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vegetable posted:

Along those lines what was up with Cassian shooting one of Saw's rebels in the market?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Edit: Misunderstood initial question; my bad.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 17, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Vegetable posted:

But we don't ever see this poo poo unfolding. Hell, it's barely even implied. The mission was only to kill the dad, a known Imperial collaborator. By any measure a modern audience sees this as part and parcel of war, like starfighters gunning each other down.

The only bad poo poo that the rebels do are hardly dark at all. Having them say "yeah we nasty" is at best humorous

I guess I just have to agree to disagree, taking along his daughter on an assassin mission she was unaware of is pretty cold. There's a lot of nice subtle quirks between him and the blonde admiral that help sell the idea that Diego is his wetworks guy.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

howe_sam posted:

Along those lines what was up with Cassian shooting one of Saw's rebels in the market?

That guy was about to toss a grenade at the tank Jyn was hiding behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

howe_sam posted:

Wasn't that rebel gonna grenade the tank which Jyn was right under

• Locked thread