Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You guys know there is a way to permanently get rid of the foliage, right? Hold space bar and a set of options will appear on the right side of the screen. One of the options is to hide foliage whenever you press space, with a little lock symbol next it. Click the lock and foliage will always be hidden whenever the camera/a unit of yours (I think) is anywhere near trees.

Since I did that I've never had problems with forest battles, and I did that on my first play through when the game had just come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
That only hides foliage in an area relative to the camera, which means loads of units that I can't pay proper attention to.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I don't know why they didn't just make most of the trees stylized colossal trees that the camera can fit under. Regular trees give me a drat headache.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Pause the game and go have a look. For multiplayer you're out of luck, but at least your enemy is operating under the same restriction.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DeathSandwich posted:

My guess is that game 2 is probably going to be High Elves/Dark Elves/Lizardmen/Skaven with Daemons of Chaos, Skaven in the old world (pre-order bonus?), and Greenskin or Vampire pirates being the post release DLCs.

Game 3 will be a return to the badlands and the surrounding areas, Consisting of Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarves, Ogres clans, Dwarves, and Greenskins with Nagash's vampire apocalypse being the endgame. At that point all the 'major' races are pretty much accounted for and you could do DLC for Araby, Border Princes and some of the separate-ish subfactions, including Ogre mercenaries for all the other races.

There's no way that they would launch Lizardmen and Skaven at the same time without having a Lustria Pestilens start. The skaven are like the only natural home field opponent for the Lizardmen to face because every other non-Lizard presence on Lustria is tiny and tentative at best.

I'd imagine they'll take a cue from what they've learned with Wood Elves and have each Skaven LL start as separate factions in different places. One can start in Skavenblight(Thanquol? He's the most famous skaven there is so I would be stunned if he wasn't there) and a Pestilens start in Lustria(Lord Skrolk, I suppose).

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Carcer posted:

Pause the game and go have a look. For multiplayer you're out of luck, but at least your enemy is operating under the same restriction.

Having to constantly pause and pan around is exactly why I don't like those maps. Hope this helps.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I almost doubt we'll get Lustria. The lizards are the only faction worth mentioning over there, the map is bloated as it is, and they've said that naval combat is out. It would make more sense to just give them an island nearby, or say that there's a lizard man invasion army setting up shop in the Old World. I wouldn't be mad, really, having the lizard men have to cross a giant ocean every time they want to sack Bastonne would suck.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Man, no wonder Durthu is mad with so many tree haters in here.

I finished the mini campaign as the Wood Elves and got Mousillon! Now to choose them in MP and confuse people who don't know about the Red Duke and El Syf...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gay Horney posted:

I almost doubt we'll get Lustria. The lizards are the only faction worth mentioning over there, the map is bloated as it is, and they've said that naval combat is out. It would make more sense to just give them an island nearby, or say that there's a lizard man invasion army setting up shop in the Old World. I wouldn't be mad, really, having the lizard men have to cross a giant ocean every time they want to sack Bastonne would suck.

It would be super weird to have Dark Elves without Naggaroth or High Elves without Ulthuan so you're already building separate continental land masses to begin with.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

They really need a 'disable all foliage' option. Leave the stumps or shadows so I know where the forest is, but let me see what is going on.

Hold space bar during battle and then click "disable foliage" and select the padlock next to it. It does exactly what you're looking for.

E: fb badly

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Those of you who rushed conquest of the other elf factions with Durthu (early Oak of Ages ambushes, etc), how did you manage it? I've restarted this opening a few times to see if I can get it right, and it hasn't worked out so far. Most of the time they head for Waterfall Palace instead of the Oak, whether they detect the ambush or not. When I do get it to work, the survivors (which is usually quite a lot, since Durthu's starting army isn't ideal for chasing down routing units) simply fall back to their capital and its sizable garrison. What's the trick here?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Kanos posted:

I'd imagine they'll take a cue from what they've learned with Wood Elves and have each Skaven LL start as separate factions in different places. One can start in Skavenblight(Thanquol? He's the most famous skaven there is so I would be stunned if he wasn't there) and a Pestilens start in Lustria(Lord Skrolk, I suppose).

I think they are going to do this from now on given how popular it has been starting with King and Warlord. They have announced the third LL for Bretonnia is Alberic of Bordeleaux, which I can't imagine any other reason for that particular choice other than Bordeleaux's start being further south and next to Mousillon.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I realize it's been a couple pages but lmao forever at the dude who was complaining about armies destroying his backfield and yet refused to build walls

Kanos posted:

It would be super weird to have Dark Elves without Naggaroth or High Elves without Ulthuan so you're already building separate continental land masses to begin with.

Yeah, additionally the supposed full map has a pretty truncated ocean area so movement issues should be mitigated.

It's hard to say what they'll do with Lustria though, because its a whole bunch of lizards and then a big rat city, which which seems like it'd get tedious. And then lorewise you've got pirates of both the undead and human variety, and then there's Estalian conquistadors, and then some orcs, miscellaneous native tribes, Amazons, probably something I'm forgetting, but those are all pretty small as described and stuff like the Amazons have official lore that'ss basically 'they exist' and then some fan stuff so I can't image they'll ever show up outside of an event.

Are animators and modelers expensive? I guess they'd have to be if the jabberslythe would've cost as much as Charlemagne to develop

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, the absolutely most boring start is probably going to be High Elves. There are no other races whatsoever living on Ulthuan which means, aside from the odd Dark Elf invasions (and I'm willing to bet there will be Dark Elves on the island at the start of the game), you're going to have to wander over the ocean to battle anything other than two stripes of elves. Especially since naval combat is apparently out.

Everyone else has at least two races, and most more, near themselves to begin with, and don't have to travel far by land to find others.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Naval combat is out? Wasn't the ships for every faction so far datamined?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, the absolutely most boring start is probably going to be High Elves. There are no other races whatsoever living on Ulthuan which means, aside from the odd Dark Elf invasions (and I'm willing to bet there will be Dark Elves on the island at the start of the game), you're going to have to wander over the ocean to battle anything other than two stripes of elves. Especially since naval combat is apparently out.

Everyone else has at least two races, and most more, near themselves to begin with, and don't have to travel far by land to find others.

Isn't part of the high elves schtick that all the different city-states are good at different stuff? Like one is all about chariots and smashing dudes with axes, one is elf ninjas, one is cavalry focused, one is really good at wizards, etc. So in addition to dark elves loving around, maybe each sub-faction will field rosters that are similar at the core, but operate slightly differently in terms of elite units. Kind of like how Wood Elves are elf focused and the tree faction is tree focused. I thought that Chaos likes to dick around on the island too because of all the magic.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

RentACop posted:

It's hard to say what they'll do with Lustria though, because its a whole bunch of lizards and then a big rat city, which which seems like it'd get tedious. And then lorewise you've got pirates of both the undead and human variety, and then there's Estalian conquistadors, and then some orcs, miscellaneous native tribes, Amazons, probably something I'm forgetting, but those are all pretty small as described and stuff like the Amazons have official lore that'ss basically 'they exist' and then some fan stuff so I can't image they'll ever show up outside of an event.

They have some units that you can pull from mordheim's Lustria expansion and worse comes to worse you could make their entire faction a giant bloodbowl team.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Isn't part of the high elves schtick that all the different city-states are good at different stuff? Like one is all about chariots and smashing dudes with axes, one is elf ninjas, one is cavalry focused, one is really good at wizards, etc. So in addition to dark elves loving around, maybe each sub-faction will field rosters that are similar at the core, but operate slightly differently in terms of elite units. Kind of like how Wood Elves are elf focused and the tree faction is tree focused. I thought that Chaos likes to dick around on the island too because of all the magic.

The mountains are full of gribbly things that can come down. So.. demons and beastmen

Otherwise, the Helfs tend to do a lot of venturing forth to keep the waystone network working. Which could be used as a reason to get them off the island.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Necroskowitz posted:

Hold space bar during battle and then click "disable foliage" and select the padlock next to it. It does exactly what you're looking for.

E: fb badly

I want to turn it off for the whole map and this only disables it near the camera.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Yukitsu posted:

They have some units that you can pull from mordheim's Lustria expansion and worse comes to worse you could make their entire faction a giant bloodbowl team.

I would be very down for an entire faction of rogue bloodbowl players.

Lord Koth posted:

They should have Waaagh Grom start on the island..

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

ssmagus posted:

Naval combat is out? Wasn't the ships for every faction so far datamined?

Naval combat is not out, and yes there are stats/icons in the game for three ships per side already.

https://imgur.com/a/fjAjA#pCuVa92

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah i think that polish interview or whatever is not exactly correct anymore, if it ever was.

Naval Combat will make them a ton of dosh, so why wouldn't they?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kanos posted:

There's no way that they would launch Lizardmen and Skaven at the same time without having a Lustria Pestilens start. The skaven are like the only natural home field opponent for the Lizardmen to face because every other non-Lizard presence on Lustria is tiny and tentative at best.

Err yeah, I got it backwards, meant skaven in the old world as a pre order, adding them to the first game in skavenblight.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gejnor posted:

Has Naval Combat ever really worked well in any TW game, though?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, I thought it was pretty clear that naval combat was out for this particular release. A second game focusing around the various elves would presumably be much more navy-focused and they could spend time actually making those battles fun to play. Perhaps.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Night10194 posted:

No but that hasn't stopped em from trying for like 6 games

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
It was originally planned to be in but the latest word as far as I'm aware is that it would take up too much resources for what it would add to the game.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Gejnor posted:

Yeah i think that polish interview or whatever is not exactly correct anymore, if it ever was.

It's possible they don't have the license for Warhammer Fantasy naval IP, however, since that's all contained in Man O' War, which is being developed for PC by Evil Twin.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Night10194 posted:

Ive said it before and i'll say it again: with them not having to focus on historial accuracy then they can make the naval combat more arcade:y fun. Just think how nuts that could be with Ironclad dwarf ships, sea-monster units, goddamned skaven/dwarf subs, sleek & fast dark elf raider ships that shoot explosive ballista bolts... and then basic wood and cannon/trebuchet boats as well for the Empire and Bretonnia.

Kestral posted:

It's possible they don't have the license for Warhammer Fantasy naval IP, however, since that's all contained in Man O' War, which is being developed for PC by Evil Twin.

Then why make all the effort of adding models, techs, admirals and those ship icons for every race? They've got the licence i think. Its not as if Evil Twin would have exclusive rights, nor would they really work the same way since thats more of a.. a what a privateers game? So its not even as if they are in direct competition.

Gay Horney posted:

It was originally planned to be in but the latest word as far as I'm aware is that it would take up too much resources for what it would add to the game.

Im not sure this is valid for the triology, consider they mentioned how well the game is selling and that their plans/funding has expanded almost exponentially.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 17, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Fall of the Samurai had awesome naval combat. Napoleon and Empire were okay, but everything else has been bad.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I would love to see amphibious attacks on port cities.

Undead could just Jason Voorhees their way to shore!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Fall of the Samurai had awesome naval combat.

Hell yeah it did.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Gejnor posted:

Because it would cost a ton of dosh

Lassitude posted:

Naval combat is not out, and yes there are stats/icons in the game for three ships per side already.

https://imgur.com/a/fjAjA#pCuVa92

Yes, there were plans early on for naval combat which is why the launch factions have datamined icons. I'm pretty sure that nobody has found anything for beastmen or wood elves though which is pretty telling in my opinion.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 17, 2016

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Kainser posted:

I'm pretty sure that nobody has found anything for beastmen or wood elves though which is pretty telling in my opinion.

Make the Beastmen Narwhal a reality.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I didn't know my armies could be ambushed when sitting in ambush stance.

The whole marching setup doesn't make much sense. My troops weren't the ones moving.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

sassassin posted:

I didn't know my armies could be ambushed when sitting in ambush stance.

The whole marching setup doesn't make much sense. My troops weren't the ones moving.

How is this even possible? Was it Beastmen?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Beat the Grand Campaign as Wood Elves and it was the first time I'd played a game where almost all the factions got wiped out. It was just me, Dwarves and Border Princes at the end. I had so many sacrificial pits on the map from just scooping up free real estate left behind by everyone being mad at one another and not me that during the final battle Malagor evaporated under one salvo of arrow fire. Just winked out of existence! Malagone.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Beat the Grand Campaign as Wood Elves and it was the first time I'd played a game where almost all the factions got wiped out. It was just me, Dwarves and Border Princes at the end. I had so many sacrificial pits on the map from just scooping up free real estate left behind by everyone being mad at one another and not me that during the final battle Malagor evaporated under one salvo of arrow fire. Just winked out of existence! Malagone.

But don't you hate elves?

... Hang on, that's Coolguye isn't it? Sorry, not used to your dishonoured avatars yet. I should probably look at that Lp.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Stephen9001 posted:

But don't you hate elves?

... Hang on, that's Coolguye isn't it? Sorry, not used to your dishonoured avatars yet. I should probably look at that Lp.

Yeah, I'm fine with elves and really like Warhammer Fantasy Elves. Especially the Wood Elves because they're just nuts, and I agree that the new range buff on them made them a bit too ridiculous in the grand campaign at least.

I figure I'll play a Beastman run as Morghur next and see what it's like to stare down the fusillade of hell-arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Corrode posted:

How is this even possible? Was it Beastmen?

It was beastmen, and it was a damned close fight. If the minotaurs hadn't decided to chase my cavalry instead of wrecking my lines I would've been hosed.

• Locked thread