Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

So did anyone else get Uncanny Valley from seeing CGI Peter Cushing? Dude looked just a bitttt off

It's almost as if the animators wanted to show off how realistically they could animate facial muscles, but when you think about ANH, Cushing's performance was way more nuanced than obvious facial cues. I didn't buy it.

So I just got out of the movie and my favorite part was when Gold and Red Leaders made their cameos. I thought I was gonna have a seizure I was so excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Wasn't that rebel gonna grenade the tank which Jyn was right under

I guess I didn't catch that; I thought the rebel was close by the tank but was going to throw it at another guy, and Diego shot him to block her path off in a "don't you try to run off" act

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Did Porkins have a cameo?????

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fat_Cow posted:

So did anyone else get Uncanny Valley from seeing CGI Peter Cushing? Dude looked just a bitttt off

I think a part of it might have been to artistic input; it seemed like they gave him darker eyes and mouth to make him more sinister, whereas Tarkin in the OT was pretty formal.

I didnt catch that it was CGI at the time; I figured they had got a lookalike and used some makeup/prosthetics.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They hosed with his complexion as well. He had to much color in his flesh.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 17, 2016

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Vegetable posted:

It's kinda silly how the scene with Diego Luna killing a single informant is supposed to convince us that rebels do bad things too. That scene later where Rogue One's volunteer are like "yeah we all done some nasty poo poo," no you haven't, we haven't seen it, nobody believes you.

They were never gonna go full-tilt on the whole "band of psychopaths" angle, this is Star Wars after all. Anyone working for the rebellion is going to be-at worst-the kind of guy who'd shoot first and Diego Luna's action's are in line with that. I enjoyed it as every point where Suicide Squad failed as a "suicide mission" film, Rogue One succeeded. At least within the confines of a PG-13 blockbuster.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

They were never gonna go full-tilt on the whole "band of psychopaths" angle, this is Star Wars after all. Anyone working for the rebellion is going to be-at worst-the kind of guy who'd shoot first and Diego Luna's action's are in line with that. I enjoyed it as every point where Suicide Squad failed as a "suicide mission" film, Rogue One succeeded. At least within the confines of a PG-13 blockbuster.

I mean, it kind of helped that It really was a suicide mission, as any film with roots in the Seven Samurai framework should be.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Do Star Destroyers ever do anything but get shot?

I'm trying to remember seeing them do anything in any movie that isn't just floating there.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm trying to remember seeing them do anything in any movie that isn't just floating there.

Launch Tie's?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

They gently caress a lot of Separatist ships up in the opening of ROTS.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

The Star Destroyer that Vader arrived in immediately blew up/disabled every Rebel ship that hadn't already jumped to hyperspace.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

They have a shitload of guns and they launch Tie Fighters. Also, they have like 30,000 people on board which is crazy.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
SD's greebly unpainted design always made me see them as basically emblematic of the imperial army; enormous, imposing, and resource-powerful, but really lovely on its own. It exists to move fighters from point A to point B, and has some guns to fire ineffectively at a ship flying in a straight line.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The rebels in Rogue One are shown as assassins, spies who will kill anyone to keep their secret, terrorists, and US military style collateral damage bombers. Through Saw's partisans, General Draven, and Cassian we see the side of the rebels that would not be shown in a regular trilogy movie (at least not on purpose, i could see some of that funny movie magic 'well actually this probably killed lots of innocents'). The rebels of the OT would not assassinate a scientist being forced to work against his will for the Empire. They would rescue his rear end in a daring mission and he'd help the alliance by making something or revealing a secret.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Linguica posted:

The parts I liked worst: all the references and tie-ins to the other movies which ranged from harmless at best (the cantina guys) to tawdry at worst (the last 30 seconds)

Huh, I thought it was the other way around. The cantina guys were trite and pointless; stuff like the last 30 seconds were plot-related and part of the way the movies were tied together.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Blue milk was the best cameo. Disappointed at no gonk droid.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, re: it being a frontal assault rather than a heist, someone just pointed out the ANH opening crawl:

quote:

"It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy...."

Fits more perfectly than I remember.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So are the people in Jed'ha (Forest Whitaker, Donnie Yen, the other guy) adherents of like, Force Islam?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Another thing this movie retroactively improves on ANH: Wedge: Look at the size of that thing! Red Leader, who a few days/weeks ago participated in the suicidal battle to steal the plans, ending in the death star itself and its power being revealed: Cut the chatter, Red 2

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Easily my favorite prequel, and the best extended battle sequence of any of them. Baze, Chirrut and K2 were the best parts. Loved that Chirrut was a conduit of the Force like Han/Jar-Jar instead of doing the usual Jedi poo poo. Made it a lot more impactful. Also, they make a cute couple. K2 was hilarious and the character I'm most attached to. Vader's double pun was exceptional.

My only beef was the references got way too on the nose in most places.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I liked it a lot, I wasn't particularly attached to any of the characters, but I'm not sure I was supposed to be. Finally some war in Star Wars. My only big nitpicks would be:

-The scene with Krennik and Vader and Vader's McFortress was pretty pointless and kind of takes the piss out of Vader's (still pretty awesome) appearance at the end of the movie.

-I'm not really sure why Donnie Yen and his friend with the gun join up with Jyn and Cassian. They're fun enough, but they really don't serve much purpose at all until serving as familiar faces in the ground battle outside the tower at the end.

-Get the gently caress out of here C-3PO

Maybe a controversial take reading the rest of the thread, but I actually thought CGI Leia looked way better than CGI Tarkin, probably because we get a much quicker look at her.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

General Dog posted:

Maybe a controversial take reading the rest of the thread, but I actually thought CGI Leia looked way better than CGI Tarkin, probably because we get a much quicker look at her.

I agree 100%.

Tarkin didn't look too bad in a few shots, but there were a handful where it was especially noticeable and it made me think about it in every other scene

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Oh man, I hadn't even considered the fact that people would be able to call R1 "the good prequel/best prequel". That's gonna be fun.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
While they got popped easier due to what the Rebels had, man did they make AT-ATs menacing for once.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'd be curious to know what was changed in the reshoots. The rumor was all about adding levity and making the characters more likable, but with the end result I didn't really find any of the protagonists particularly likable (which is fine) or quippy (which is appropriate).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

General Dog posted:

I'd be curious to know what was changed in the reshoots. The rumor was all about adding levity and making the characters more likable, but with the end result I didn't really find any of the protagonists particularly likable (which is fine) or quippy (which is appropriate).

Gallery here has a bunch of shots that aren't in the movie.

It looks almost like they entirely redid the Scarif ground stuff from scratch.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

General Dog posted:

There are a lot of obvious punch-up moments (Donnie Yen complaining about getting bagged, some of K2's early lines, etc.,) the Scarif battle appears to be significantly different between the trailers and the film (far, far, far beyond what could simply be called alternate takes,) and Forest Whitaker's character appears to have been entirely reshot, which I'm going to guess points to Jyn initially being an active member of Saw Guerrera's faction that Mon Mothma recruits, which was changed because america wouldn't like the main character of their holiday blockbuster being a terrorist that acts like actual terrorists.

Also, I have no evidence, but based on my gut feelings, I'd bet hard cash that the only Vader scene in the original script was the massacre at the very end, and everything else was added in the reshoots because executives have never heard of the phrase "too much of a good thing."

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 17, 2016

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
One thing that I'm trying to figure out is how did 3PO, R2, and Leia get on the blockade runner if it's in admiral fishy's ship.
R2 and 3PO are just standing around Yavin when they find out Rogue One is attacking and everyone takes off, and where is Leia at that she can get onto the ship before it heads into battle?
Am I miss remembering lord British telling Mon Mothma that the admiral is already on his way to the fight? If he's already on his way, how do the gay robot couple and CGI Princess catch him up in hyperspace?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

its all nice on rice posted:

One thing that I'm trying to figure out is how did 3PO, R2, and Leia get on the blockade runner if it's in admiral fishy's ship.
R2 and 3PO are just standing around Yavin when they find out Rogue One is attacking and everyone takes off, and where is Leia at that she can get onto the ship before it heads into battle?
Am I miss remembering lord British telling Mon Mothma that the admiral is already on his way to the fight? If he's already on his way, how do the gay robot couple and CGI Princess catch him up in hyperspace?

No, he said that the General joined the fight. The General was flying an X-Wing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MisterBibs posted:

While they got popped easier due to what the Rebels had, man did they make AT-ATs menacing for once.

I liked the part where they shot one and the head got knocked to the side, and then looked back. That, the Death Star looking straight at White Cape Guy, and the big pointy ship arriving out of hyperspace and loving everything up were all great. Just neat ways to emphasize the insistent menace of the empire.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Answer: Raddus is leaving and taking his fleet to Scarif. They mobilize the fighter squadrons (who arrive with Raddus). While they are mobilizing Bail goes to talk to Captain Antilles who owns C3PO and R2D2. We see the droids in the hanger while the fighters are launching to join Raddus. Presumably Captain Antilles collects his droids, loads em up on the Tantive IV, and they also go with Raddus. They don't have to already be in Raddus' ship, they simply have to dock with Raddus' ship after its disabled and get the plans, which is most likely what happened. It all works chronologically & just plain logically.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Jimmy smits isn't british jesus christ

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Ok my confusion is abated. Thank you.

E: Lord British refers to the British dude with the stache
Ee: he literally says "mum!" too

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Dear lord that movie loving sucked. I mean the first two thirds of the movie being a boring slog was bad enough, we had some Tron Legacy grade uncanny valley CGI humans, but the one thing I can't loving forgive is that they were running the movie above 24fps so it looked like a soap opera (which I guess helped match the performances).

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
High frame rates are good.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ok my confusion is abated. Thank you.

E: Lord British refers to the British dude with the stache
Ee: he literally says "mum!" too

Oh you meant that guy. Well in that case he says ma'am, not mum he's not talking to his mother. I thought it was Bail Organa who had that conversation with Mon mothma about the general going to his ship

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

Oh you meant that guy. Well in that case he says ma'am, not mum he's not talking to his mother. I thought it was Bail Organa who had that conversation with Mon mothma about the general going to his ship

I thought he said Mon :>

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Fat_Cow posted:

Yes but primarily only in scenes where he was framed with a human in-shot. It was definitely the best I've seen in terms of CGI, but there's still a gap to cross before we get out of the valley. In the shots where it was just him, it was much easier to forget that he's been dead for 20+ years.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

My favorite new halloween costume: Saw Guerrera's Black Scout Trooper Helmet with Leather Jacket Terrorist. Saw's whole terrorist organization was one of my favorite parts of the movie. I kind of wish we got the version where Jyn was an active terrorist who gets picked up by Cassian on Jedha. Presumably the beginning stays the same but instead of being in Wobani shes attacking the convoy while Cassian is looking for his contact and saves him from the stormtroopers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Neurolimal posted:

The ending was good but the vader boarding pushed the themes in a very unsubtle and blunt way. It was still a nice sequence, but it felt like the product of a writer being told "put a Vader fight scene in" and making the best of it.

Yeah, this is how I felt. Vader's one of my favorite characters, and it was a cool scene on its own, but it felt kinda immature to tack it onto this movie. I felt that way about the entire ending.

• Locked thread