Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bob James posted:

Hunter Thompson had a few ideas on improving baseball.

http://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=860846

This is up there with the North Korean rules for scoring basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is up there with the North Korean rules for scoring basketball.

Share this with the rest of the class

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Explosionface posted:

A lot of Cubs fans disagree with how he was used as well. :v:

To be fair, he WAS overused in Game 6, but you won a Championship you wife beating piece of poo poo.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Soul Glo posted:

Share this with the rest of the class

It's... strange.

quote:

In 2013, former NBA star and oddball Dennis Rodman visited North Korea at the behest of its leader, Kim Jong Un. The pair took in a game of basketball, which is extremely popular in North Korea. The game was very strange, however, and revealed to the rest of the world the North Korean basketball scoring system.

Everybody knows that slam dunks are awesome. In North Korea, they’re even more awesome, worth three points rather than two.

Distance shots—taken from past the arc around the basket—are still worth three points. However, if the shooter makes the goal without the ball touching the rim, a “swish” or “nothing but net,” the three-pointer becomes a four-pointer.

When Shaquille O’Neal played in the NBA, opposing teams developed a strategy called “hack-a-Shaq”: intentionally fouling O’Neal late in a close game so he’d have to take free throws, of which he had a less than 50 percent success rate. This would have been a bigger problem for O’Neal if he’d played in North Korea—points are deducted for missed free throws.

Talk about a buzzer-beating, come-from-behind victory: A successful shot taken from anywhere on the court during the final three seconds of a game is worth eight points.

Games can end in ties. The one Rodman saw ended with a score of 110 to 110.

It’s worth noting that Kim John Un’s father, previous North Korean leader, Kim Jong Il, was possibly the world’s greatest golfer. In 1994, the North Korean state-run media reported that he shot a round at 38 under par…including 11 holes-in-one. The brutal, isolationist dictator of a country reportedly dotted with prison camps and “reeducation facilities” had his feat verified by 17 witnesses, which also happened to be the first time he ever played golf.

http://www.bathroomreader.com/north-korean-basketball-rules

Also, if you don't know of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader and like all sorts of knowledge about interesting and weird and random poo poo in short article format, check one out. They even have themed ones. The Baseball one is really good.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 17, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am 100% behind adopting the rule that missed free throws subtract points.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I mean, gently caress North Korea and all, but I'd watch the poo poo out of a North Korean rules basketball game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Your Taint posted:

I mean, gently caress North Korea and all, but I'd watch the poo poo out of a North Korean rules basketball game.

Yeah it sounds like a Futurama version of basketball or something, just add robots instead of malnourished, brainwashed people

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sydin posted:

If the situation in game 6 had been reversed: Cubs up 3-2 in the series but the Indians winning 7-2 in the 7th at Wrigley with nine outs that still needed recording, do you think Francona would have hesitated for a heartbeat to put in Miller?

Francona had Keith Foulke throw 2.2 innings in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS down 3-0, and then 1.1 innings the next night, both times coming in when the Red Sox didn't even have a lead. Playoff Tito gives no fucks. Win the game tonight and worry about tomorrow when it happens. (also, :rip: Keith Foulke's career, it died for my baseball sins)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Your Taint posted:

To be fair, he WAS overused in Game 6, but you won a Championship you wife beating piece of poo poo.

He won a WS but he's also worried about his future earnings. Of course, he got the biggest reliever contract of all time so yeah

Also results don't dictate whether a decision was correct or not

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

He won a WS but he's also worried about his future earnings. Of course, he got the biggest reliever contract of all time so yeah

Also results don't dictate whether a decision was correct or not

I never said they did. The decision was wrong. Chapman should not have been out there for a 3rd inning in Game 6 (maybe even a 2nd) and I was among those here totally against the decision at the time.

But dude, you won a World Series. And the fans and media loved you. and you got the biggest contract for a reliever in history. It just seems petty and classless to be running down Joe Maddon's decisions now, 6 weeks after the fact.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

But dude, you won a World Series. And the fans and media loved you. and you got the biggest contract for a reliever in history. It just seems petty and classless to be running down Joe Maddon's decisions now, 6 weeks after the fact.

Here's the loving quote:

"Personally, I don't agree with the way he used me, but he is the manager and he has the strategy. My job is to be ready, to be ready to pitch, however that is, however many innings that is, I need to be ready for that. I need to go in and do my job."

That's perfectly loving reasonable.

This entire thing is ridiculous.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

Here's the loving quote:

"Personally, I don't agree with the way he used me, but he is the manager and he has the strategy. My job is to be ready, to be ready to pitch, however that is, however many innings that is, I need to be ready for that. I need to go in and do my job."

Someone is salty.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Your Taint posted:

Someone is salty.

I am petty and classless.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"Hi Aroldis, you were used funny in the World Series. How do you feel about that?"

"I didn't like it but I was ready to do my job"

~*~ rage ensues ~*~

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

Here's the loving quote:

Actually, that's only part of the loving quote. Here's more of the loving quote. I hope you loving enjoy it. loving.

quote:

"There were couple of games, but the one I can point to is Game 6," Chapman said when asked for specifics for his criticism. "The game was open and I don't think he needed to [leave] me in the ninth. The important game was going to be Game 7 because we had that game almost won. The next day I came in tired."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18292641/new-york-yankees-closer-aroldis-chapman-says-chicago-cubs-manager-joe-maddon-misused-playoffs

e: loving

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 17, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Him and literally every baseball analyst said the same thing though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Your Taint posted:

Actually, that's only part of the loving quote. Here's more of the loving quote. I hope you loving enjoy it. loving.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18292641/new-york-yankees-closer-aroldis-chapman-says-chicago-cubs-manager-joe-maddon-misused-playoffs

Your take on this appears to be that he's not wrong but he's not allowed to talk about it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

The Chicago Cubs won the 2016 World Series.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Your Taint posted:

Your Taint posted:

Someone is salty.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In retrospect perhaps I should have just let this die on the last page instead of carrying it over because :barf:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Sydin posted:

In retrospect perhaps I should have just let this die on the last page instead of carrying it over because :barf:

YES YOU SHOULD HAVE

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Your Taint posted:

Your Taint posted:

Someone is salty.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dexo posted:

Him and literally every baseball analyst said the same thing though.

Hell, he was just a half-year rental. It'd be a mistake NOT to go full Dusty Baker on him.

And it's not like he'd gotten extensive action the first half of the year. He was probably well rested! :haw:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The more I look back on it, even being the best team in MLB, even after winning the World Series, it had to be done in the Cubsiest way

- Shut out 4 times in the playoffs, most ever by a championship team (and possibly of any team)
- 6th team in history to be shut out twice in the World Series and win it
- Tied playoff record for biggest 9th inning comeback
- First team in MLB history to win a series after getting shut out in 2 consecutive games
- First team in MLB history to win a World Series Game 7 in extra innings on the road
- Lose a 1-0 World Series Game 3 with the wind blowing out at 15MPH against one of the biggest fly ball% and home run% pitchers in baseball
- Indians' top RBI producer (5) was a guy who drove in 17 RBI all season
- 4 runs allowed in Game 7 due to a wild pitch bouncing off Ross' mask and Chapman's first HR allowed all season
- Won NLDS despite a .200 team BA due to 6 of their 17 runs driven in by pitchers
- MVP Zobrist the 7th player in MLB history to win the World Series in 2 consecutive years with 2 different teams
- Series came down to a Golden Pitch

When I drill down into how it all happened the less and less likely it seems and Flags Fly Forever™ so it really drives home how lucky they were to win and how easily even great teams can end up without a championship.

I also realized that I've spent an obscene amount of money on championship gear and collectibles and yet I want more.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CubsWoo posted:

- Shut out 4 times in the playoffs, most ever by a championship team (and possibly of any team)

I randomly heard the stat after the last Cubs shutout in the postseason, it's happened 4 times previously if I remember right. Obviously the other three that I've forgotten happened after expanded playoffs, but the 4th one was the 1905 Giants.

They shut out the Philly A's in every win in that World Series, the A's actually won game 2 with a shutout of their own. But that just let Christy Mathewson pitch another game. He went CGSO in games 1, 3 and 5, the other shutout was Joe McGinnity in game 4 who also went the distance.

e: Oh it's from the other direction than you were thinking. The Indians pitched four shut outs in the playoffs but not all against the Cubs. Yeah unsurprisingly the Cubs are the first team to actually win doing that as far as I know, but I guess the Philly A's at least tied them for shutouts in the postseason.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 17, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The Indians actually had five shutouts in the postseason (ALDS G2, ALCS G1/G5, WS G1/G3), which is a new record for any playoff team. The Cubs only had two, NLDS G1 and NLCS G6.

The other amazing stat was that in games where the Cubs scored at least one run, they were 11-2 and outscored their opponents 75 to 43.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 17, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh if that's right I must have heard it after WS game 1. I could have sworn it was at the point when all the Cubs fans here had given up...

Which was probably game 1 :v:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
It was literally the first inning of game one iirc.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Cub fans in these threads were so fatalistic you wouldn't realize that the Cubs didn't trail at any point in the World Series after the end of the top of the 4th inning in game 5.

PS Goldmine the Game 7 thread, Pear Baby thanks you

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

The more I look back on it, even being the best team in MLB, even after winning the World Series, it had to be done in the Cubsiest way

- 6th team in history to be shut out twice in the World Series and win it
- Tied playoff record for biggest 9th inning comeback
- First team in MLB history to win a series after getting shut out in 2 consecutive games
- First team in MLB history to win a World Series Game 7 in extra innings on the road
- Lose a 1-0 World Series Game 3 with the wind blowing out at 15MPH against one of the biggest fly ball% and home run% pitchers in baseball
- Indians' top RBI producer (5) was a guy who drove in 17 RBI all season
- 4 runs allowed in Game 7 due to a wild pitch bouncing off Ross' mask and Chapman's first HR allowed all season
- Won NLDS despite a .200 team BA due to 6 of their 17 runs driven in by pitchers
- MVP Zobrist the 7th player in MLB history to win the World Series in 2 consecutive years with 2 different teams
- Series came down to a Golden Pitch

When I drill down into how it all happened the less and less likely it seems and Flags Fly Forever™ so it really drives home how lucky they were to win and how easily even great teams can end up without a championship.

I also realized that I've spent an obscene amount of money on championship gear and collectibles and yet I want more.

Granted I was extremely pessimistic of our chances when we were down 2-1 to the Dodgers and the bats were asleep, and we were down 3-1 to the Indians and the bats were asleep again. But the Cubs battled back in lots of games this year (or should i be saying last year now?) and won several games they had no business winning.

It felt different this year from about mid-April on. There wasn't a way they couldn't win a game-- they could keep close in a pitcher's duel, slug with anyone, get a great defensive play when they needed it. Yeah they had some luck along the way, but it was about drat time.

I've got MLB.tv so I can watch Cubs games until around Spring Training, but I'm already sick of this winter poo poo and it's 106 days until Opening Day.

Also thank you for teaching me a new baseball term. I had to google what a Golden Pitch was.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 17, 2016

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Intruder posted:

So wtf is going on with EE? I can't believe the best hitter on the market is having so much trouble finding a landing spot

No wonder players hate the QO

It's bizarre, because even factoring the inevitable decline from age, he's been a remarkably steady hitter in the past five seasons. He's also proven that he can play 1B adequately, so he shouldn't scare off NL teams. Imagine a team like Cleveland (yes, I understand there's budget constraints with them) adding a player like EE?

Five years ago, he would have got what he wanted and more, probably.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Also thank you for teaching me a new baseball term. I had to google what a Golden Pitch was.

Here's every World Series Golden Pitch:

New York Giants/Boston Red Sox, 1912, Game 8, Series tied 3-3-1

Mathewson pitching to Yerkes, 1 out bottom 9, runner on 2nd, Giants leading 2-1 - Walk
Mathewson pitching to Speaker, 1 out bottom 9, runners on 1st and 2nd, Giants leading 2-1 - Single, 1 RBI, Golden Pitch scenario ends, Red Sox eventually win game 3-2.

St. Louis Cardinals/New York Yankees, 1926, Game 7

Alexander pitching to Meusel, 2 outs bottom 9, runner on 1st, Cardinals leading 3-2 - Babe Ruth caught stealing 2nd base, Cardinals win.

New York Yankees/San Francisco Giants, 1962, Game 7

Terry pitching to Hiller, 1 out bottom 9, runner on 1st, Yankees leading 1-0 - Strikeout
Terry pitching to Mays, 2 outs bottom 9, runner on 1st, Yankees leading 1-0 - Mays doubles, runner to 3rd
Terry pitching to McCovey, 2 outs bottom 9, runners on 2nd and 3rd, Yankees leading 1-0 - Lineout, Yankees win.

Oakland A's/Cincinnati Reds, 1972, Game 7

Fingers pitching to Rose, 2 outs bottom 9, runner on 1st, A's leading 1-0 - Flyout, A's win.

Cleveland Indians/Florida Marlins, 1997, Game 7

Mesa pitching to Johnson, 1 out bottom 9, runner on 1st, Indians leading 2-1 - Single, runner to 3rd
Mesa pitching to Counsell, 1 out bottom 9, runners on 1st and 3rd, Indians leading 2-1 - Sacrifice fly, 1 RBI, Golden Pitch scenario ends, Marlins eventually win game 3-2.

New York Yankees/Arizona Diamondbacks, 2001, Game 7

Rivera pitching to Bell, 0 outs bottom 9, runners on 1st and 2nd, Yankees leading 2-1 - Bunt forceout, runners do not advance
Rivera pitching to Womack, 1 out bottom 9, runners on 1st and 2nd, Yankees leading 2-1 - Double, 1 RBI, Golden Pitch scenario ends, Diamondbacks eventually win game 3-2.

San Francisco Giants/Kansas City Royals, 2014, Game 7

Bumgarner pitching to Perez, 2 outs bottom 9, runner on 3rd, Giants leading 3-2 - Foulout, Giants win.

Chicago Cubs/Cleveland Indians, 2016, Game 7

Montgomery pitching to Martinez, 2 outs bottom 10, runner on 1st, Cubs leading 8-7 - Groundout, Cubs win.

The only Golden Pitch scenario I can find where the batting team won a winner-take-all game (WC, G5 for DS/earlier CS, G7 otherwise) on specifically a Golden Pitch is the 1992 NLCS when the Braves' Cabrera singles home Justice and Bream to beat the Pirates 3-2. That game had 5 batters come up in Golden Pitch situations.

E: There's also the 1995 ALDS when Martinez doubled home Cora and Griffey to beat the Yankees 6-5 - they were down 5-4 at the time so a theoretical triple play would also end the game with a Yankees win.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 17, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Twin Cinema posted:

It's bizarre, because even factoring the inevitable decline from age, he's been a remarkably steady hitter in the past five seasons. He's also proven that he can play 1B adequately, so he shouldn't scare off NL teams. Imagine a team like Cleveland (yes, I understand there's budget constraints with them) adding a player like EE?

Five years ago, he would have got what he wanted and more, probably.

I mean there's also the problem that there aren't many deep pocketed teams particularly hurting for a 1B/DH type, and it sounds like EE was convinced he was going to get paid. Apparently the Jays offered him 4/80 but later took it off the table?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Edwin hasn't played more than 80 games in the field since 2010 so that probably rules out most NL teams and the only AL teams who seem to need a 1B/DH hybrid player are ones that don't want to spend Edwin money + lose a draft pick to get him. I think he goes back to the Jays on a QO-level contract or maybe the Marlins back up the truck after not hitting on any of their major overspend targets and try to make him work as an everyday 1B.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Sydin posted:

I mean there's also the problem that there aren't many deep pocketed teams particularly hurting for a 1B/DH type, and it sounds like EE was convinced he was going to get paid. Apparently the Jays offered him 4/80 but later took it off the table?

My understanding is that they offered him the deal, he rejected, and then they quickly signed Morales. Oddly enough, Morales is the oldest player to get a multi-year contract this year.

CubsWoo posted:

Edwin hasn't played more than 80 games in the field since 2010 so that probably rules out most NL teams and the only AL teams who seem to need a 1B/DH hybrid player are ones that don't want to spend Edwin money + lose a draft pick to get him. I think he goes back to the Jays on a QO-level contract or maybe the Marlins back up the truck after not hitting on any of their major overspend targets and try to make him work as an everyday 1B.

He hasn't played more than 80 games, but this year proved that he can play the position without issue. He was pretty much the Jays everyday 1B as the season wore on. Mind you, he probably would have stayed the DH if Smoak didn't suck poo poo at the plate. I don't think it's likely a NL team signs him, but I was just saying that he's not a black hole defensively at 1B, so it shouldn't scare off NL teams.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I don't have much sympathy for his situation in that case, 4/80 is a fantastic offer for a 33 year old 1B/DH. Yeah he's good but he's not loving Pujols, take the drat contract that will keep you well paid through age 37.

e. Unless there were other non-financial reasons behind him not wanting to stay with the Jays I guess. I admit to not being abreast of the status of his relationship with the Jays.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

E: There's also the 1995 ALDS when Martinez doubled home Cora and Griffey to beat the Yankees 6-5 - they were down 5-4 at the time so a theoretical triple play would also end the game with a Yankees win.

That would have been the most loving Mariners thing ever. Bonus points if the triple play was because both of Edgar's knees just exploded or something.

Side note - the Ruth one will never not be funny.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

White Sox avoid arb with Abreu, sign a 1-year deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey guys remember when the Tigers were going to get younger and cheaper?

Apparently that just meant trading Cameron Maybin. :shrug:

• Locked thread