Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Blackfyre posted:

I r dum

EDIT: One of the beatings in the film? Can't remember THX all that well now.
The link is a YouTube video showing it in context. It's that weird holo TV thing he watches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I'm probably blind and/or missed it the first time it was posted, but if it was, it's worth a second shout-out.

/noclip has made a feature-length documentary on the making of Doom 2016 and how the iD games came to inspire a company that had almost none of the old people left: Resurrecting Doom. It's pretty neat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tippis posted:

I'm probably blind and/or missed it the first time it was posted, but if it was, it's worth a second shout-out.

/noclip has made a feature-length documentary on the making of Doom 2016 and how the iD games came to inspire a company that had almost none of the old people left: Resurrecting Doom. It's pretty neat.
It wasn't posted in here, but it's really, really good!

The creator also recorded some stuff for thing about Quake 3 (and a bit of the first two games) that'll go up in the new year.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, I said this in another thread, but one of the great take-aways from that documentary that has some bearing on what's often being discussed here is: what's in a name.

A lot of the things they show from Doom 4 1.0 seems really neat, but it also doesn't look like “Doom.” It seems this is what iD realised themselves, and why they decided to restart the project as an actual Doom game. In this era of remakes and reboots, it's very refreshing to see that there is still some understanding of this part of classic brand.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

It wasn't posted in here, but it's really, really good!

It was. :v:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Someone put together a 30mn documentary on the cancelled Doom 3 sequel and how it turned into DO4M: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS6SBnccxMA

Nition posted:

Part two of the Doom doco is out now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsoVQWnSOfM

But yeah, it's a good documentary - I'm super impressed with the production quality on it considering the guy is funding it with his Patreon.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I started playing Tormentor's The City of the Damned: Apocalypse and I'm having a hell of a time with it. Love the atmosphere and architecture and it plays really well, but is it supposed to be really, like impossibly difficult? I'm playing on the 3rd difficult setting and figured out that it's better to run away a lot of the time, but the hellhounds keep shredding me and I had to cheat to kill the big spiders in the room with the Spider key. I haven't found anything other than the revolver though...did I miss a more powerful weapon?

WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony is up next. I got gzdoom running fullscreen now (3200x1800 monitor resolution; turns out if you window, maximize the window, then go fullscreen it works properly) and I'm stoked to check out these big projects I haven't played.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
For anyone that plays Descent 1 and 2, the first new version of DXX Rebirth in 3 years came out this week!

http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/news/dxx-rebirth-v0-60-beta-1-released/

quote:

What’s new in this version:

Merged code bases and massive code refactorization. [Massive thanks to kp]
    Homing projectiles now behave like in the original game running at 30 FPS! [Thanks to Drakona, Lothar, roncli, A Future Pilot, Ryusei117 and more]
    Fixed FPS fluctuations with VSync. [Thanks to derhass]
    Flashing effects properly scale to ingame brightness setting.
    In addition to quicksave, there is now a quickload key!
    Original base input sensitivity for all devices and mouse overrun option for mouse. [Thanks to the Retro team]
    Improved collision detection, fixing player damage being way too low in some occasions. [Thanks to Drakona]
    Reworked OPTIONS menu.
    New texture filtering options! [Thanks to beware]
    Optional timers displaying countdowns for cloak and invulnerability.
    New tracker for Multiplayer games. Including UDP hold-punching ability so hosts don’t need to have their ports open [Massive thanks to A Future Pilot]
    Drastically improved positional accuracy and less latency in Multiplayer games.
    Revamped powerup management in Multiplayer which properly handles and prevents loss and excess of powerups.
    Important packets in Mulitplayer are handled in proper order, fixing a multitude of packet-loss related issues.
    A plethora of new Multiplayer options. [Thanks to the Retro team, A Future Pilot and many more]
    Proper chaff effect for bombs in D2X-Rebirth Multiplayer as intended in the original game but never implemented correctly.
    Headlights on player ships will now properly render according to headlight state of the player.
    “Bright Players” Multiplayer option will now only affect players instead of all polygon models.
    Improved thief bot to (hopefully) work more accurate in Multiplayer.
    New Multiplayer GAME INFO screen that can be toggled ingame, too.
    Fixed some Multiplayer scoring oddities.
… and many, many more bugfixes and improvements.

This version actually runs at a smooth framerate with vsync turned on!

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 15, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

my bony fealty posted:

I started playing Tormentor's The City of the Damned: Apocalypse and I'm having a hell of a time with it. Love the atmosphere and architecture and it plays really well, but is it supposed to be really, like impossibly difficult? I'm playing on the 3rd difficult setting and figured out that it's better to run away a lot of the time, but the hellhounds keep shredding me and I had to cheat to kill the big spiders in the room with the Spider key. I haven't found anything other than the revolver though...did I miss a more powerful weapon?

WolfenDoom: Blade of Agony is up next. I got gzdoom running fullscreen now (3200x1800 monitor resolution; turns out if you window, maximize the window, then go fullscreen it works properly) and I'm stoked to check out these big projects I haven't played.

The shotgun is in the graveyard, near the hospital and past the (closed) weapons shop.

Yeah, I missed it too. :v: Its a really good map tho!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Thyrork posted:

The shotgun is in the graveyard, near the hospital and past the (closed) weapons shop.

Yeah, I missed it too. :v: Its a really good map tho!

Thanks! That explains that clue with the red X I couldn't figure out, I think. Took me about 30 minutes after to finish off the map, really liked the hell carnival section, very Blood-esque.

Anyone have recommendations for more good single player conversion wads? I've got the new WolfenDoom one as mentioned.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

So for the first time in years I tried to play Quake coop with 2 friends on Quakespasm and Arcane Dimensions 1.5.
The problem is that when I host or join the game, it lags horribly for everyone (ping more than 1000), with lots of PACKET OVERFLOW showing up on console when I join. When only my 2 friends are playing it's all good and smooth, so the problem is clearly me. But I'm not downloading anything else and I'm the only one using the wifi network. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Should I switch to Mark V or something?

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 16, 2016

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Negrostrike posted:

So for the first time in years I tried to play Quake coop with 2 friends on Quakespasm and Arcane Dimensions 1.5.
The problem is that when I host or join the game, it lags horribly for everyone (ping more than 1000), with lots of PACKET OVERFLOW showing up on console when I join. When only my 2 friends are playing it's all good and smooth, so the problem is clearly me. But I'm not downloading anything else and I'm the only one using the wifi network. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Should I switch to Mark V or something?

The particle effects in AD aren't really network friendly (there's no client-side processing of that kind of thing in quake, so the movement of every particle is sent over the network). I'd try setting the cvar
pre:
temp1 262144 
on the server (or the client who's hosting the game) to disable particle effects and shell casings, and see if it performs better.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/738064131119538176

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I was imagining Stayin' Alive before I listened to it but this is good too

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I would have gone with the Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive" but maybe that's too easy.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

It's no Belmont Strut but the Quake 2 animations in general are quite wonderful.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Heavy_D posted:

The particle effects in AD aren't really network friendly (there's no client-side processing of that kind of thing in quake, so the movement of every particle is sent over the network). I'd try setting the cvar
pre:
temp1 262144 
on the server (or the client who's hosting the game) to disable particle effects and shell casings, and see if it performs better.

Thanks for the tip. I tried again and got no lag, probably was having some issues with my ISP yesterday. Though some objects, gibs, projectiles kept disappearing very frequently, especially when there were many objects at once in view. I'm guessing AD is not the best choice for coop, maybe.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Try mark V or FTE, they have better optimised networking than QS

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Some of the test maps in AD are pretty fun! I liked the "rotation and exploration" and the "breakables" ones; "ogres and knights" was cool too. They're basically normal levels, but shorter, which to be honest is a nice change of pace after the gigantic sprawling levels that are the main part of AD.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Negrostrike posted:

Thanks for the tip. I tried again and got no lag, probably was having some issues with my ISP yesterday. Though some objects, gibs, projectiles kept disappearing very frequently, especially when there were many objects at once in view. I'm guessing AD is not the best choice for coop, maybe.

I guess you might still be seeing "packet overflow" messages appear, what you're describing is typical when that's occuring. Your options are try to find an engine with larger packets/better optimisation (like the suggestions above), play a map that isn't so large/open, or to run a different mod. e1m2quoth isn't all that long (being an e1m2 remix) but it does have different monsters and puzzles in coop mode.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm finally going to try to finish Doom 3. I know it's not "doom" but it's still a very good game in its own right. I get why it's maligned but it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

chaosapiant posted:

I'm finally going to try to finish Doom 3. I know it's not "doom" but it's still a very good game in its own right. I get why it's maligned but it's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

if you're playing on hard prepare to loving hate yourself when they introduce Lost Souls. after a point I stopped trying to kill them because they're just too bullet spongey and their AI acts weird.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Does anyone know about this weird mouse acceleration with Fitzquake Mark V?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

chaosapiant posted:

I replayed it last February or so and it really was as bad as I remembered. At least the first 3/4 are - the decent bits are near the end of the game, which seems like poor planning on the team's part.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Linguica posted:

I replayed it last February or so and it really was as bad as I remembered. At least the first 3/4 are - the decent bits are near the end of the game, which seems like poor planning on the team's part.

I think I've only ever made it as far as the Archvile, as I remember being disappointed by how much of a pushover he was. I've tried to play through Doom3 on at least 5 separate occasions but it's just such a slog to get through to the last quarter of the game and it's just not god drat worth it. gently caress Doom3. It's a bad, boring game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I liked it, also it came out before FEAR. There to me had been a drought of good single-player FPS games* for a couple years before Doom 3 hit, and it worked for me. I do agree it didn't age super well, though I don't replay most games, but I actually played Resurrection of Evil for the first time around 2013, with BFG edition on a steam sale. I really liked that, plus it's more fast-paced and has a super shotty, so I guess that one aged better.

(* the NOLF games a few years earlier were probably the last ones that I really dug until Doom 3. I think we've talked about there being a dry couple years in the early-to-mid 2000s in here before)

Also, for me a game aging well is a bonus, lots of great games (at the time) I wouldn't feel like sitting through today. Plus there's such an endless supply of games to check out anyway.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I also played Doom3 at launch and while I had friends who blew everyone off to keep chugging through it over the course of countless evenings (to the point that mutual friends began to worry), I was one of those assholes who was too turned off by the slow pace and necessity for the flashlight.

The early 2000's are when I began going to a lot of LAN parties and while there was a lot of Quake, it was mostly dominated by Codename Eagle and later Battlefield 1942. Not surprisingly, I don't remember too many multiplayer shooters from that period until Call of Duty hit the scene but maybe that's just because everybody was too busy playing Codename Eagle (it wasn't, nobody did).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

My LAN parties from the end of the 90's were dominated by Quake 2 and Unreal and then Early 2000's by UT and Quake 3. By 2004 everyone started to play BF1942 and I have to admit that goofing with jeeps and so was a good change of pace.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

chaosapiant posted:

Doom 3's engine is a great piece of work but the gameplay loop fundamentally isn't very fun. It's slow, dark, and cramped. It isn't scary, just annoying. About the only thing I remember fondly about it is the way you could interact with computers, which must have taken a gigantic amount of work to implement but ultimately contributes hardly anything to the actual gameplay. Chronicles of Riddick came out the same year and attempted to hit a lot of the same beats but it is a better game in just about every way. I still replay that one every now and again.

Cat Mattress posted:

Some of the test maps in AD are pretty fun! I liked the "rotation and exploration" and the "breakables" ones; "ogres and knights" was cool too. They're basically normal levels, but shorter, which to be honest is a nice change of pace after the gigantic sprawling levels that are the main part of AD.

I can't remember which one is which but there's a sky-castle test map that I really liked. There's another map sort of like it in the 1.5 update which was great: not enormous, still bigger than most Q1 levels, but just big enough. "Arcane Monstrosity" was the name I think.

Question for anyone else who played AD 1.5: What do I do with the serpent runekey in "Leptis Magna"? After running through pretty much the whole map again I gave up and noclipped around for a while, but I still have no idea.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I played through Chronicles of Riddick: EfBB at launch and was pretty blown away at how much better it was compared to Doom 3 in virtually every way and that was the XBOX version. It does stuff right that even games released today manage to gently caress up and the health system it uses is, I think, the best in any FPS game.

The mech sequences are also just so loving fun, the sort of fun that Doom 3 managed to avoid because it was trying way too hard to be serious.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

SwissCM posted:

I played through Chronicles of Riddick: EfBB at launch and was pretty blown away at how much better it was compared to Doom 3 in virtually every way and that was the XBOX version. It does stuff right that even games released today manage to gently caress up and the health system it uses is, I think, the best in any FPS game.

The mech sequences are also just so loving fun, the sort of fun that Doom 3 managed to avoid because it was trying way too hard to be serious.

While not a terrible game, there was too much hype on Doom 3 even when Riddick has the same graphical breakthroughs and is more fun to play. It's so unfair but that's how it is. :shrug:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

skasion posted:

Question for anyone else who played AD 1.5: What do I do with the serpent runekey in "Leptis Magna"? After running through pretty much the whole map again I gave up and noclipped around for a while, but I still have no idea.

No idea either. I found 24 out of 25 secrets, killed every single monster, and don't know what this key did, if it did anything. It's too bad the HUD doesn't show the non-standard keys so one could see if it is removed upon opening some door somewhere.

Arcane Monstrosity was a fun map.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I had forgotten about Chronicles of Riddick. I need to play that again at some point because thinking back that game did so much stuff so drat well it was crazy.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm also currently replaying Doom 2. Haven't played it since I was a teen in the 90s. I don't remember the levels being as much of an unfun slog as I'm seeing here. Doom 1 still holds up really well by comparison.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

I had forgotten about Chronicles of Riddick. I need to play that again at some point because thinking back that game did so much stuff so drat well it was crazy.

Fond memories of slamming down some necro bastards or even when you mess up technique

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh man, the melee combat from Riddick was just too good :swoon:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That game was way better than it had any right to be. I think it's better than the second Riddick movie.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Linguica posted:

the best bit is when your in hell and box the hell zombies with your fists

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

you get to BE Vin Diesel

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

skasion posted:

Cat Mattress posted:

No idea either. I found 24 out of 25 secrets, killed every single monster, and don't know what this key did, if it did anything. It's too bad the HUD doesn't show the non-standard keys so one could see if it is removed upon opening some door somewhere.

When you first enter the sewers after escaping from the moving spike wall trap, there's a wall that's blown open by a spider summoning ghost. There's a crack in the floor inside that room (that's just small enough to be a pain in the rear end to enter) that will lead you underwater toward one of the plot tomes and another breakable wall. This leads to the serpent chamber where you fight a huge onslaught of enemies for some ammo, a red armor, and a little easter egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Something about the melee kill animations in Riddick makes me feel a bit ill. They're just brutal, especially when you stab someone in the eye with a shiv.