Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

First Styx worth playing?

It's a really rough game in a lot of ways. It has a lot of potential and I enjoyed it but I wouldn't blame anyone for finding it really dated and rough compared to a lot of other stealth games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

First Styx worth playing?

If you like reloading saves a lot it can be, but its a get caught and you're hosed sort of stealth game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I kind of play Hitman that way despite my best intentions :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

I kind of play Hitman that way despite my best intentions :(

Hitman is great when you roll with the punches. Once you are getting shot its too late though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

Why read when video games have such rich stories

I listen to audiobooks while I play games sometimes. I think I am literally addicted to multitasking. If I'm not doing 4 things at once, I feel like I'm wasting my time. Because I have so little free time. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

To be fair, the soundtrack to Spec Ops: The Line was absolutely loving incredible, besides The Black Angels it had the most sad Mogwai song (or maybe the most sad song EVER?) in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ3bATVTykM

e: "Will you miss me, when I'm gone?" :qq:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That pic is correct, The Black Angels rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mix4N87GM3g

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So far I've killed three people by accident in Until Dawn, but I think that I am finding most of the clues. I am bad at the QTEs because the controls are kind of wacky. Still really digging the PS4 controller, though. It's so comfortable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

That pic is correct, The Black Angels rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mix4N87GM3g

Fun(?) fact, that first Black Angels album was their attempt at doing "a concept album based entirely on the Velvet Underground song "Venus in Furs"".

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bicyclops posted:

Still really digging the PS4 controller, though. It's so comfortable.

It's been said it's like holding a boob.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Styx is pretty fun, and you don't have to reload if you get caught, but you cannot fight your way out situations like a tank. It's not like most stealth games where you can just fight people when you get caught, which is actually kind of cool. You get a lot of tools to use to mitigate combat.

It has some issues, but if you like stealth games, it's worth it.

I didn't actually beat it, but I think I got 3/4 of the way through...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

So far I've killed three people by accident in Until Dawn, but I think that I am finding most of the clues. I am bad at the QTEs because the controls are kind of wacky. Still really digging the PS4 controller, though. It's so comfortable.

Please post when you're done, I have opinions on how death works in that game

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

God drat, Code Talker needs to shut his old gob.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Copulation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

only around the perfect burg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like how in X2 and X3 when they fully upgrade your charge shot they change it to a two button press that makes you stop moving. Makes me never want to use the charge shot again in the boss battles that demand extreme precision.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Copulation.

Pronounciation.

In Training posted:

I don't like how in X2 and X3 when they fully upgrade your charge shot they change it to a two button press that makes you stop moving. Makes me never want to use the charge shot again in the boss battles that demand extreme precision.

Shoot them while jumping.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SO far though X3 is cooler than X2, although I dont really like them leaning harder and harder on "come back to this level with X Y and Z upgrade to get the bonus items!". In X1, outside of the dash from chill penguin, it was also just cleverly hidden in the environment.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

THE

DINČ

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of Styx, how is that Orcs and Gobbos game that's in the same universe? It looks vaguely interesting.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I prolly won't ever replay Spec Ops because the game isn't good enough to want to, but it's worth playing once and I'm glad of it exists

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgzrYwKOeok

This game looks so good :allears:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

anyone remember zombiu?

who would have thought the best launch game for the Wii U was a ubisoft FPS that might as well have been called "Zombie"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In Training posted:

SO far though X3 is cooler than X2, although I dont really like them leaning harder and harder on "come back to this level with X Y and Z upgrade to get the bonus items!". In X1, outside of the dash from chill penguin, it was also just cleverly hidden in the environment.

X3 is definitely awful about this, but the power curve is super satisfying toward the end.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Looper posted:

Please post when you're done, I have opinions on how death works in that game

I just finished. There were only three survivors because I can't do the aiming in the QTEs. Probably going to play through it again to collect everything, but how much I gently caress with who lives and who dies and stuff is probably going to depend on how the "replay a chapter" thing works, because I'm not playing through the whole game over and over again just to save the one guy who you have to press Triangle really quickly to save.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Either way it was an interesting introduction to the Playstation 4, because it does an interesting job of displaying the graphical capabilities and forces you to use all of the available controls in the most absolutely rudimentary way.

I would have told you I was decently good at QTEs before playing it, because of stuff like the Jecht Shot, but there's something about having no warning and not noticing until your time is almost up that one is even happening that makes me panic too much to find the basic controls. I hope the Chapters for the New Game Plus sort of thing work like I want them to, because I want to play around with who lives and dies.

The most heroic character was Hayden Panettiere's Magical Towel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's something incredibly surreal about the mix of attempts at horror tropes mixed with incredibly video game mechanics. It's even bad just... weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

It's been said it's like holding a boob.

I like holding boobs better.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bicyclops posted:

I like holding boobs better.

Depends on the game, really.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm going to be travelling for about a week next week, so I bought Final Fantasy 6 for my iPad. Is there anything dumb I should know before getting into it (e.g. "don't sell your starting equipment" or "name all your characters 'Sephiroth' for mega lols")

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a pretty easy game so do whatever and enjoy the wonderful story and art

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I'm going to be travelling for about a week next week, so I bought Final Fantasy 6 for my iPad. Is there anything dumb I should know before getting into it (e.g. "don't sell your starting equipment" or "name all your characters 'Sephiroth' for mega lols")

When you reach the end of the floating content do not leave when you are given the prompt to do so. Instead wait. Otherwise you'll permanently lose a character.

When the world map changes (I donno how much you know about the game so I'm being vague on spoilers) there's a triangle-shaped island in the upper-right corner of the map. There's an enemy there called Zone Seeker who absorbs your party members with an attack. If you let him eat all of them you unlock a hidden dungeon with a bonus character you can't get otherwise.

Those are the only two big ones I can think of.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dragon Quest XI trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHYS2OWYW0

Also some gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCMRiZx78Jk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The iPad sprites seem pretty shoddy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

That's because they are. The phone ports of those games look awful, especially the characters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am so loving tired of this happening during world-record pace runs

http://puu.sh/sShC8/eec32d1c03.webm

(in case you can't tell what happened, a guy shot from around a corner and put me into the dying state, but because he was around the corner I couldn't shoot him to get back up so I just died and there was nothing I could do)

edit: I was ahead of my own time by like an entire minute too :negative:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 17, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bicyclops posted:

I hope the Chapters for the New Game Plus sort of thing work like I want them to, because I want to play around with who lives and dies.

It probably doesn't, the game treats your first playthrough as the 'canon' storyline and the only way to do things differently is to select the chapter you want to change then play the whole game from there. But it'll never stick, even if you finish the game again the chapter select will default back to your first play through.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 17, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MGS5's writing is so bad that it's becoming a chore to complete the game.

Jay Rust posted:

I straight up could never play a game that ugly.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lurdiak posted:

MGS5's writing is so bad that it's becoming a chore to complete the game.

I straight up could never play a game that ugly.

I'd have to try pretty hard to notice the one on the left but oy loving vey the one on the right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pixel art is soooooo 1994. Bulbous RPG Maker sprites are gonna be the new hotness, trust me on this.

You get used it though. But I hope FF6 doesn't require precise platforming at any point, but hoo boy the mobile controls are bad. If an NPC is walking around it takes me ten seconds to line myself up properly to talk to them.

• Locked thread