Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

When I played through ME1 the second time I gave myself this hideous yellow suit of armor with an obscene amount of shields and a rifle that one shot anything in the game and just turned on speed in the mako levels. Flying off the side because you ran too fast was funny. It also made the final fight with Saryn hilarious because he'd say something, get shot, have a cutscene, get shot, have a cutscene, get shot, die in cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drifter posted:

I'm playing Mass Effect 3 now, as a Vanguard, and the Venom (?) shotgun thing is a loving beast. A half-second to charge up and you have a one-shot grenade launcher. Even the normal mode is a brutal pulverizer.

But yeah, I've only ever played as an Adept, and although I think mage is much more fun, Vanguard is a lot more frantic sometimes.

I don't remember what the class names are anymore but for ME 3 all of a sudden I really felt the influence of games like Uncharted and Vanquish and I made my character as much of a run 'n' gun shotgun/melee beast as possible. Previously in ME 1 and 2 I was all about that mage life.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ME2 Vaunguard on insanity is not a good time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rinkles posted:

Disagree, but I can understand why you would feel that way.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Rinkles posted:

my first playthrough on insanity was with a vanguard and it was a cakewalk

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Disagree, but I can understand why you would feel that way.

inflatable fish posted:

my first playthrough on insanity was with a vanguard and it was a cakewalk

I must be missing something, or you didn't use the main power very often (or used that shotgun reload glitch).

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Rinkles posted:

I must be missing something, or you didn't use the main power very often (or used that shotgun reload glitch).

Reave is a good bonus power that allows you to hang back sometimes, though it does involve hanging out with that Space Holden Caulfield motherfucker to get.

I always brought Jack for free warp ammo too and to set up biotic explosions on charging.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mymla posted:

Well I mean, anyone can, you just hold down mouse 1 until it falls over. I did this with every geth colossus and tresher maw in the game, because you get more xp killing them on foot than with the mako.

It's me, I'm the minmax sperg.

I said without breaking a sweat. Your way involves sweat and overheating weapons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Did anyone ever like playing as an Engineer? I heard people gush about everything else at some point (esp. Vanguard/Infiltrator) but no one ever seemed to give a gently caress about Engineers.

I played Adept and they seemed basically like a worse version.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Zore posted:

Do Engineers have Lift/Singularity?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

JawKnee posted:

Do Engineers have Lift/Singularity?

No, thats why they're worse.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zore posted:

Did anyone ever like playing as an Engineer? I heard people gush about everything else at some point (esp. Vanguard/Infiltrator) but no one ever seemed to give a gently caress about Engineers.

I like engineer in 3 because it's fun to be a beep boop technowizard instead of full-on psychic wizard for a change of pace (and iirc you have the right combo of abilities to do any kind of tech explosion you care to do) but I didn't much care for them in 2 or 1.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Zore posted:

No, thats why they're worse.

Right, I misinterpreted that as saying that adepts were worse, my bad

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I haven't played MP in a while but I remember having a blast with a melee focused Krogan sentinel, not sure if it really carries over to a SP play though

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I said without breaking a sweat. Your way involves sweat and overheating weapons.

Your weapon doesn't overheat once you get some mods in it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mymla posted:

Your weapon doesn't overheat once you get some mods in it.

If you just hold the mouse button down it will eventually. Like when you are fighting a Colossus.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Reclaimer posted:

Reave is a good bonus power that allows you to hang back sometimes, though it does involve hanging out with that Space Holden Caulfield motherfucker to get.

I always brought Jack for free warp ammo too and to set up biotic explosions on charging.

Followers die so quickly on insanity, but I was never great at managing them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rinkles posted:

Oh, I used it all the time, and never abused the glitch to my knowledge. You have to get good at the point blank headshots and picking your targets wisely to not be left too exposed during your cooldown, but you can be a nigh unstoppable pinball of death on insanity and I wouldn't have it any other way. Something like a mech can be a bit tricky, but that's what the other powers are for, such as the aforementioned Reave once you unlock it.

If I recall correctly, I preferred the Evisercator shotgun, but also made good use of the rapid fire one you pick up when recruiting Samara. It's been long enough I've forgotten its name. Once I had something like the Tempest, I also liked charging with that and just mad dumping on fools point blank. Seemed to work really well.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 17, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

If you just hold the mouse button down it will eventually. Like when you are fighting a Colossus.

Enough cooling mods and no gun will ever overheat.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Zore posted:

I loved playing as an Engineer in 3. Combat Drone and Sentry Turret are really overpowered and make any fight a cakewalk.
Someone hiding behind cover? Send in a drone to flush them out.
Chokepoint? Set up a turret.
Have shields, barriers? Overload them.
Geths charging you? Sabotage/hack them.
Cerberus set up a turret? Hack it and watch it mow them down
Humans need dealing with? Cryo blast then explode them with incinerate.
The funniest is spawning a drone behind a guardian because they turn around without fail and you can shoot them in the back while your drone is electrocuting them.
Basically Engineers can solo the entire game with their skill set. They can prime and detonate their own tech explosions and evolve their skills right and there is nothing they can't handle.
Engineers are great and under rated.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Helith posted:

I loved playing as an Engineer in 3. Combat Drone and Sentry Turret are really overpowered and make any fight a cakewalk.
Someone hiding behind cover? Send in a drone to flush them out.
Chokepoint? Set up a turret.
Have shields, barriers? Overload them.
Geths charging you? Sabotage/hack them.
Cerberus set up a turret? Hack it and watch it mow them down
Humans need dealing with? Cryo blast then explode them with incinerate.
The funniest is spawning a drone behind a guardian because they turn around without fail and you can shoot them in the back while your drone is electrocuting them.
Basically Engineers can solo the entire game with their skill set. They can prime and detonate their own tech explosions and evolve their skills right and there is nothing they can't handle.
Engineers are great and under rated.

I'm also fond of neural shock as an overload evolution. Now overload is a hitscan stun, and neatly replaces cryo blast for most purposes.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Cythereal posted:

I'm also fond of neural shock as an overload evolution. Now overload is a hitscan stun, and neatly replaces cryo blast for most purposes.

Oh yeah, then add in the fact you can also evolve overload to chain overload so it jumps from enemy to enemy and it makes overload useful for everything, health, shields, barriers and groups all at once. It can damage them all at the same time.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

But do they even lift

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

JawKnee posted:

Mark Meer would have made a poor femshep I agree

Male Shepard sounds much more dumb and naive often, it's both hilarious and endearing. It's better if you take things much less seriously.

I laughed out loud at a line in ME3 about the Rachni queen being back and helping the reapers
"B-But the queen promised she would go away and stay hidden or be destroyed!"

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ainsley McTree posted:

But do they even lift

They have drones for that :awesomelon:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Both Shepard voice actors were great in different ways. Hale was certainly the better at being the world weary soldier and as the renegade. Meer got better as the serious went along. When it came to playing I usually went Femshep do to being a big fan of Hale but I have DudeSheps too.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Meer’s voice just doesn’t work for a lot of the Renegade options (somewhere I saw someone describe it as sounding like “The dad from the Brady Bunch trying to sound like a badass”), but if you play ManShep as an amiable boyscout it’s fine. He nails a lot of the sarcastic line too.

Also, for some weird reason, ManShep’s voice works really well if you give him the most grizzled face possible. It’s kind of strange, because in real life Meer’s kind of a pretty boy-looking fellow.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mass effect was meer's first big role wasn't it? he was never gonna be as good as hale, who I assume came out of the womb doing voicework for baby characters

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
BioWare voice acting is pretty dang good across the board. I can't recall anyone since, say, the first ME who I felt was anything worse than adequate

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Jennifer Hale this time won't be a playable character, but the AI that is in your character's brain. Telling you stuff, mocking your ability to fight well and judging your relationship choices.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crabtree posted:

Jennifer Hale this time won't be a playable character, but the AI that is in your character's brain. Telling you stuff, mocking your ability to fight well and judging your relationship choices.

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite relationship on the Nexus."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Blastedhellscape posted:

Meer’s voice just doesn’t work for a lot of the Renegade options (somewhere I saw someone describe it as sounding like “The dad from the Brady Bunch trying to sound like a badass”), but if you play ManShep as an amiable boyscout it’s fine. He nails a lot of the sarcastic line too.

Also, for some weird reason, ManShep’s voice works really well if you give him the most grizzled face possible. It’s kind of strange, because in real life Meer’s kind of a pretty boy-looking fellow.

I played him as a renegade on my first run and later as well. I liked it, though I also found it funny.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blastedhellscape posted:

Agree completely. Meer sounded far too nice to be a renegade. You have to balance it out with a grizzled face like this one then it clicks:

You want to stick to darker skin tones to really bring out the terminator glowing bits. This femship is further along the renegade thing but the terminator bits look more painted on (which they are, the darker skin just blends it better).

Angry, bitter, tired femshep was the best one in ME2.

I was one of those crazy people who played through ME2 about a dozen times with a variety of characters. Only did a single run of ME3 and had no interest in a second playthrough outside of playing the Leviathan DLC which was ok.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Agree completely. Meer sounded far too nice to be a renegade. You have to balance it out with a grizzled face like this one then it clicks:

You want to stick to darker skin tones to really bring out the terminator glowing bits. This femship is further along the renegade thing but the terminator bits look more painted on (which they are, the darker skin just blends it better).

Angry, bitter, tired femshep was the best one in ME2.

I was one of those crazy people who played through ME2 about a dozen times with a variety of characters. Only did a single run of ME3 and had no interest in a second playthrough outside of playing the Leviathan DLC which was ok.

Agree, gruff-looking and dark skin is the way to go with manshep.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Literally all custom shepards look bad. The only good ones are the default ones

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I dunno, I liked my custom manShep, whenever I saw promo material for the default guy in ME2 trailers I was like, who's this generic jock? Some alterations to the Shep looked fine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Literally all custom shepards look bad. The only good ones are the default ones

You could argue that for ME3 since the default heads for both versions were clearly using higher quality assets than what you could make custom ones with.

ME1 & 2? Nah, you can make plenty of good custom ones if that rocks your boat. The trick is to make them look angry because you should be mashing all those red buttons.

Anyway ME3 is the Robocop 3 of the series so we should just forget about it except as an object lesson of "do not".

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I really liked ME3, other than the space kid, the ending etc. Still would put it in third place though.

(Robocop 3 may be more watchable than Robocop 2 but I don't wanna split hairs/rewatch either of those. And I loves Peter Weller so that's saying something)

(everybody see the Peter Weller/Sam Elliott zany action flick Shakedown)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 17, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had this grand idea of playing through the entire trilogy in anticipation of this game (I never actually played ME3, but ME1&2 are some of my favorite games) but I'm having such a hard time getting into ME1 :qq: The clunky controls and UI, and most importantly the spider-eyelashes, skeletal-looking, fish-lipped player character. I'm the type of person who spends literal hours in character creators, but I just can't make anything resembling a human being in ME1s.
And you spend so much of the game looking at that face too :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Metal posted:

(Robocop 3 may be more watchable than Robocop 2 but I don't wanna split hairs/rewatch either of those. And I loves Peter Weller so that's saying something)

Peter split before Robocop 3 so you're totally good to go ahead and join the hate.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107978/fullcredits/

^Stop trying to make "pretty" shepards and just add on all the scars and heavy goth makeup you can.