Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
If you do go with EVGA for a 1050Ti, get the SC version. The overclock isn't the reason, though. The base 1050Ti just uses a simple solid aluminum finned heatsink, while the SC uses a heatpiped assembly. It shouldn't matter, but I think it's worth an extra :10bux: or so for the sake of the card's longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, I saw that in the document you linked but those are outer dimensions, it doesn't really help that much because it's not possible to tell the internal structure from that. For instance I don't know if that card I linked will fit hight/depth wise, the length should be OK as long as they did not put other components overhanging the motherboard. Also you have to hope that they are using standard ATX pinouts on the power connectors for that mobo, sometimes they use nonstandard ones and if you hook up a standard PSU it can just fry the mobo. I remember when Dell used to do that so you needed to pay through the nose for a lovely Dell PSU instead of just buying a decent off the shelf one.

My previous computer was also a prebuilt with an aftermarket PSU so I'm hoping for the best. :v:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you do go with EVGA for a 1050Ti, get the SC version. The overclock isn't the reason, though. The base 1050Ti just uses a simple solid aluminum finned heatsink, while the SC uses a heatpiped assembly. It shouldn't matter, but I think it's worth an extra :10bux: or so for the sake of the card's longevity.

Funny enough the SC version appears to be cheaper than the plain Ti on Amazon.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 16, 2016

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Grundulum posted:

My impression from following this thread is that (1) EVGA's failures were unrelated to thermal issues, and due instead to capacitors failing, (2) this happened more spectacularly than other failure modes and so got more press. I don't remember hearing that the overall rate of failure was more or less than other brands'.

I don't know about anyone else but I've had nothing but loving annoying problems with the 2 EVGA 1070s I've got, the first one I RMA'd then the second one has loving identical issues, that were entirely introduced by this card and I can't find any fault with my system at all. It's a huge pain in the rear end.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cat doter posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I've had nothing but loving annoying problems with the 2 EVGA 1070s I've got, the first one I RMA'd then the second one has loving identical issues, that were entirely introduced by this card and I can't find any fault with my system at all. It's a huge pain in the rear end.

Well yeah but your issue is super weird and not at all typical, it's really hard to say if the card being an EVGA 1070 has anything to do with it.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well yeah but your issue is super weird and not at all typical, it's really hard to say if the card being an EVGA 1070 has anything to do with it.

Yeah I wouldn't go as far as saying the card is the issue but damnit, I got an EVGA 1070 and it doesn't work properly and I'm mad. I'm gonna blame them just to feel better.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
i got my EU evga thermal mod kit yesterday!

not going to bother with the application tho, i entrust EVGA:s support i guess

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

My free tube of thermal paste still hasn't arrived :mad:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got my thermal pads a while ago, not gonna use 'em 'cause the waterblock came with some too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For some reason I got really bored and tried overclocking for the very first time. I moved some sliders, typed numbers, watched floating islands and steampunk boats maybe like 20 times. I made my scores go higher which is cool I guess, but then the drivers started crashing and I got cute little black triangles on my screen. That was an interesting experience I think. I even got achievements for it because EVGA precision x software has steam achievements for some really odd reason. Did I miss out on the golden era of overclocking, or was it always this tedious and sorta uneventful? I was sorta hoping my 1070 SC would do digital backflips or whatever but all I got was a lotta fan noise and some coil whine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dali Parton posted:

For some reason I got really bored and tried overclocking for the very first time. I moved some sliders, typed numbers, watched floating islands and steampunk boats maybe like 20 times. I made my scores go higher which is cool I guess, but then the drivers started crashing and I got cute little black triangles on my screen. That was an interesting experience I think. I even got achievements for it because EVGA precision x software has steam achievements for some really odd reason. Did I miss out on the golden era of overclocking, or was it always this tedious and sorta uneventful? I was sorta hoping my 1070 SC would do digital backflips or whatever but all I got was a lotta fan noise and some coil whine.

Nah, it used to be a bit more interesting, but they have both made it easier & less risky and more restrictive. Nvidia has essentially made software, namely GPU-Boost, that in the current(3.0) version gets you like 90% of the OC that you would get OCing manually so the gains are pretty small, on AMD's side the cards tend not to OC very well, though that should hopefully change as they get away from GloFo. We also used to see stuff like modded firmware and other hacks but Nvidia is using signed firmware these days and it's questionable how much modded firmware would help considering how much Nvidia is already able to squeeze out of these chips with GPU-Boost 3.0.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah for this particular generation OC'ing isn't very fruitful. Which is actually great, but still kind of sad. I'm sure AIBs aren't too happy about it but that's just the cost of Boost 3.0. I have no problems at all with consistent products that "OC" themselves to nearly their limits thats all we really want anyway but I will miss the tinkering of course.

I still run an OC due to the still-huge memory OC on the table but I imagine that will be taken care of at some point as well.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

penus penus penus posted:

Yeah for this particular generation OC'ing isn't very fruitful. Which is actually great, but still kind of sad. I'm sure AIBs aren't too happy about it but that's just the cost of Boost 3.0. I have no problems at all with consistent products that "OC" themselves to nearly their limits thats all we really want anyway but I will miss the tinkering of course.

I still run an OC due to the still-huge memory OC on the table but I imagine that will be taken care of at some point as well.

I'm really happy with the auto-overclocking thing.

I absolutely never want to have to bother with overclocking to get all of the potential out of a product and then have this thought in the back of my mind that every time something crashes, it might be because of the OC.
I can not wait for the future where every part of my computer joins in and manual overclocking (or even having to manually set the bios to use XMP for memory) becomes a long-forgotten relic of the past.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Dali Parton posted:

I was sorta hoping my 1070 SC would do digital backflips or whatever but all I got was a lotta fan noise and some coil whine.
I don't get it, what is there to expect other than faster performance? I'm trying to think of an example of what sort of digital backflips you might have imagined happening but I'm coming up empty.

With older hardware OCing used to be a bit more complicated and also a fair bit more time consuming, arguably was even more boring years ago but also more fruitful.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Geemer posted:

I absolutely never want to have to bother with overclocking to get all of the potential out of a product and then have this thought in the back of my mind that every time something crashes, it might be because of the OC.
I can not wait for the future where every part of my computer joins in and manual overclocking (or even having to manually set the bios to use XMP for memory) becomes a long-forgotten relic of the past.

Supposedly AMD's upcoming Zen does something similar where it'll OC up until it starts hitting thermal limits, so we're getting there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nah, it used to be a bit more interesting, but they have both made it easier & less risky and more restrictive. Nvidia has essentially made software, namely GPU-Boost, that in the current(3.0) version gets you like 90% of the OC that you would get OCing manually so the gains are pretty small, on AMD's side the cards tend not to OC very well, though that should hopefully change as they get away from GloFo. We also used to see stuff like modded firmware and other hacks but Nvidia is using signed firmware these days and it's questionable how much modded firmware would help considering how much Nvidia is already able to squeeze out of these chips with GPU-Boost 3.0.
Yeah thats probably what they meant in the Youtube videos when they mentioned Pascal cards already effectively have overclocking built in. On top of that, my card was already factory OC'd so I wasn't imagining some crazy numbers.

Col.Kiwi posted:

I don't get it, what is there to expect other than faster performance? I'm trying to think of an example of what sort of digital backflips you might have imagined happening but I'm coming up empty.

With older hardware OCing used to be a bit more complicated and also a fair bit more time consuming, arguably was even more boring years ago but also more fruitful.
Hyperbolizing here. This comes after years of reading PC Gamer and Maximum PC both online and in print back in the mid/late 2000s. There was always some sort of excitement in the articles about the benefits of overclocking, bountiful gains, fun experiences. Yeah I know overclocking only produces speed increases, I just thought the process wouldn't be so...meh.

Geemer posted:

And yeah even though I'm kinda bummed about the lack of tinkering, i've grown to like things that automate themselves for the most part. I used to be all about fussing around with settings and stuff, but I like it to just work.

So yeah all in all maybe its best that overclocking is already loosely automated, just in terms of everyday practicality. Sometimes I just get the urge to work on something just to spin my wheels.

Wacky Delly posted:

Supposedly AMD's upcoming Zen does something similar where it'll OC up until it starts hitting thermal limits, so we're getting there.
I think the part that got me the most excited was the bit where processors will detect the cooling solution employed. Like differentiate between stock, air, water, whatever. This is also probably marketing BS, but it would be cool to install a nice HSF or AIO water cooler and have the machine automatically go faster. That would be mega cool.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's probably just the same thing as pushing up the limits of the processor while staying inside whatever defined thermal limit.

My guess is that some smart cookie over at AMD recognized that different cooling solutions have different temperature curves as it heats up over time and not just different max thermals, and that when it detects a given curve, it kicks in a corresponding profile.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/220941257

quote:

980 Ti users get first spot in line for 1080 Ti pre-orders, or “Step Up” offer

:monocle:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's me. I'm ready to "Step Up"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, I saw that in the document you linked but those are outer dimensions, it doesn't really help that much because it's not possible to tell the internal structure from that. For instance I don't know if that card I linked will fit hight/depth wise, the length should be OK as long as they did not put other components overhanging the motherboard. Also you have to hope that they are using standard ATX pinouts on the power connectors for that mobo, sometimes they use nonstandard ones and if you hook up a standard PSU it can just fry the mobo. I remember when Dell used to do that so you needed to pay through the nose for a lovely Dell PSU instead of just buying a decent off the shelf one.

Dell and HP both still do this AFAIK, at least as recently as a couple years ago. We used to order the Optiplex 3020/7020 towers and instead of the regular 24-pin ATX power, it had some garbage proprietary 10-pin connector. Found out the hard way when I suspected a recently past warranty box had a bad PSU, but couldn't do any testing on it :argh: similar happened with some older Optiplex 800/900 series boxes, had some janky 30 pin connector or something and you either had to get a new PSU from Dell or pray you could find a working adapter from ATX to DBP (Dell Bullshit Proprietary).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Dell and HP both still do this AFAIK, at least as recently as a couple years ago. We used to order the Optiplex 3020/7020 towers and instead of the regular 24-pin ATX power, it had some garbage proprietary 10-pin connector. Found out the hard way when I suspected a recently past warranty box had a bad PSU, but couldn't do any testing on it :argh: similar happened with some older Optiplex 800/900 series boxes, had some janky 30 pin connector or something and you either had to get a new PSU from Dell or pray you could find a working adapter from ATX to DBP (Dell Bullshit Proprietary).

Oh, I knew about that, but in the really bad old days Dell would use a 24-pin ATX connector but with the pinouts completely different, so you could totally plug in a standard ATX PSU, it would just ram 12v into ground and murder the mobo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Why is this a LinkedIn jobs URL? I don't have LinkedIn so I can't view it. Could you post the whole thing?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The important parts are they confirmed the 1080 TI (without specs, just the name) and there's a new 10 dollar a month "elite" program for streaming games like the old Geforce Now program, but the new one is supposed to give additional benefits like free games and prizes.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They have an entire cabinet full of 980 ti to give to new employees. Barely keep the door closed most days.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Just ordered a Poweredge T20 brand new a couple weeks back and it uses a PSU with a normal ATX12V 4-pin connector, a proprietary 8-pin and nothing else. The 8-pin plugs in about where a 24-pin would on a standard board and next to it, another connector coming out of the motherboard supplies power to all of the drives.

I'm pretty sure you can get a passive adapter to turn a normal 24-pin into that 8-pin though and use a normal PSU with it for not much cost.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Why is this a LinkedIn jobs URL? I don't have LinkedIn so I can't view it. Could you post the whole thing?
It's a posting for a Senior Marketing Manager for Nvidia. Aside from the job requirements, here's the interesting parts:

quote:

Most Recent Geforce Rewards Product/Program Description

I think of GFE Rewards as more than giveaways -- it’s a Club with exclusive benefits for GFE users.

Through the Club we can help improve our customer’s gaming experience and build a GeForce/GFE community.

Annual Benefits To All GFE Users

“Club GeForce” should provide 3 classes of rewards to GFE users:

Free full copy of exclusive Indie game (1x/year)
Free custom skin or in-game item for AAA game (1x/qtr)
Early beta access for Talos and NVIDIA 1st party content
Exclusive hardware discounts for gaming gear

Weekly Giveaways And Prizes

Free AAA game codes and In-game currency
Early beta access to AAA games
Accessories to help gamers enjoy gaming better (HMDs, SHIELDs, Keyboards, etc)
Golden tickets to gaming events (Blizzcon, PAX, etc)

Targeted Spot Prizes To Drive Sentiment, Reward Behavior, And Grow Advocates

Free game codes for users who report a confirmed bug or contribute useful feature enhancement requests
Free game codes to our most active Share and GeForce Forum users
Free game codes to users who rank most negative and most positive on our sentiment tools
980 Ti users get first spot in line for 1080 Ti pre-orders, or “Step Up” offer

Club GeForce Also Provides Benefits Outside Of GFE
  • Early Registration and Invitations to Club GeForce Meetups, GeForce LAN and Community Events
  • GeForce Forum badges and rankings based on years in the Club
As The Program Develops, We Introduce ‘Club GeForce Elite’ -- Which Has a $10/mth Fee And Gives Gamers
  • Rotating bundle of free games from our GFE app store (4x games per quarter)
  • Free GeForce PC in the cloud subscription
  • Exclusive skins, in-game items, and GeForce Gear

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I sent out a RMA to MSI which was recieved on the 2nd. Still no updates other than "arrived". It was odd because one day it was on "Replacement" but then rolled back to "arrived" the day after. Do they normally take this long? Newegg and EVGA were lightning fast with their replacements. But I have no idea whats taking MSI. They were the only company to make me pay for shipment too.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Dali Parton posted:

I sent out a RMA to MSI which was recieved on the 2nd. Still no updates other than "arrived". It was odd because one day it was on "Replacement" but then rolled back to "arrived" the day after. Do they normally take this long? Newegg and EVGA were lightning fast with their replacements. But I have no idea whats taking MSI. They were the only company to make me pay for shipment too.

A while yes, 16 days to get an answer after being received no not really thats getting into "wtf" phase. Unfortunately you're going to have to call, which will inevitably give you an answer you already know, but its necessary sometimes to kick someone in the rear end down the food chain

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm looking for a budget card around the price of a GT 730 2GB DDR3, which is currently on offer on Amazon at a nice £42. Yep, it's a terrible card, I know, but better than my 8800 GS. Everything is relative, right? Any budget cards expected to replace the GT 730 line-up in the near future? Might as well wait if it's only a couple of weeks or months away.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Exioce posted:

I'm looking for a budget card around the price of a GT 730 2GB DDR3, which is currently on offer on Amazon at a nice £42. Yep, it's a terrible card, I know, but better than my 8800 GS. Everything is relative, right? Any budget cards expected to replace the GT 730 line-up in the near future? Might as well wait if it's only a couple of weeks or months away.
Nothing that low end, no. The GT 730 is the best you'll get in that price range for the foreseeable future.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Nothing that low end, no. The GT 730 is the best you'll get in that price range for the foreseeable future.

Cheers. Gone ahead and ordered then. I'll finally be able to watch HD video without stuttering! (perhaps)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Exioce posted:

The cheapest thing in the current NVIDIA lineup is the GTX 1050. Or the next step up is the 1050 Ti, which is ~20% faster.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-GeForce-1050-StormX-Graphics/dp/B01M7RRV7R/

There's also the RX 460. Roughly the same performance as the GTX 1050 and slightly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/PowerColor-AXRX-460-2GBD5-OC-Express-Black/B01J9FFV14/

The GT 730 (and many other low-end cards from that time period) are actually carryovers from old architectures. There are several versions of the GT 730, depending on the version it can actually be as old as Fermi - so only a year or two newer than your 8800 GS. It certainly won't have H265 decode support, since that was introduced in Maxwell, and Fermi was rather notorious for power consumption and high temperatures.

Unfortunately there is a "minimum buy-in" to graphics cards. Yes, the RX 460 is twice the price of the GT 730 - but it's literally 8 times the performance. (note: I used the GT 430 there instead since it's the same GF108 chip but without the Kepler versions of the card mixed in too) If it's the Kepler version, the RX 460 is still almost five times as fast (again: the GT 635 is the same chip, and actually clocked slightly higher than the 730) You pay a pretty decent chunk of money just to have literally anything that plugs into the slot, and there are huge performance gains to stepping up even a little bit in price.

If you have a recent processor, have you considered just using the iGPU? If all you want is H264 video decode, it can do that. AMD has had it starting with the Phenom lineup, and Intel has had it starting with Sandy Bridge.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 19, 2016

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Paul MaudDib posted:

The cheapest thing in the current NVIDIA lineup is the GTX 1050. Or the next step up is the 1050 Ti, which is ~20% faster.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-GeForce-1050-StormX-Graphics/dp/B01M7RRV7R/

There's also the RX 460. Roughly the same performance as the GTX 1050 and slightly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Graphics-Cards/PowerColor-AXRX-460-2GBD5-OC-Express-Black/B01J9FFV14/

The GT 730 (and many other low-end cards from that time period) are actually carryovers from old architectures. There are several versions of the GT 730, depending on the version it can actually be as old as Fermi - so only a year or two newer than your 8800 GS. It certainly won't have H265 decode support, since that was introduced in Maxwell, and Fermi was rather notorious for power consumption and high temperatures.

Unfortunately there is a "minimum buy-in" to graphics cards. Yes, the RX 460 is twice the price of the GT 730 - but it's literally 8 times the performance. (note: I used the GT 430 there instead since it's the same GF108 chip but without the Kepler versions of the card mixed in too) If it's the Kepler version, the RX 460 is still almost five times as fast (again: the GT 635 is the same chip, and actually clocked slightly higher than the 730) You pay a pretty decent chunk of money just to have literally anything that plugs into the slot, and there are huge performance gains to stepping up even a little bit in price.

If you have a recent processor, have you considered just using the iGPU? If all you want is H264 video decode, it can do that. AMD has had it starting with the Phenom lineup, and Intel has had it starting with Sandy Bridge.

Hmm, you've given me some serious pause for thought now about getting that card, and I've cancelled my order. My entire set-up is completely ancient. We're talking a Wolfdale E5400 cpu. Perhaps it would be more economical to just wait for the Christmas sales and buy the budget build components recommended in this forum? I do want to get back into gaming a little, things like Elite Dangerous (Low graphical setting is okay with me, if not ideal), so a discreet GPU card is to a certain degree necessary. Maybe the RX 460 is the absolute minimum I really should go for.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Yeah, if nvidia ever does gp108 cards they probably won't be out until like late spring next year if ever. I guess for amd all of the crap polaris 11s are going to oems?

e: yeesh yeah you might as well just buy a rx460 or even a $200 walmart special laptop. I bet even that would be like 5 times faster than your computer.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 19, 2016

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Anybody have any advice on frame rate limiting? I usually run at 120hz, and I've heard various advice stating stuff like 118 to reduce lag, but this doesn't matter if you set pre-rendered frames to 1 or vsync is off, or 124 to maybe prevent tearing? Doesn't seem to be any real evidence I can find.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Lowclock posted:

Anybody have any advice on frame rate limiting? I usually run at 120hz, and I've heard various advice stating stuff like 118 to reduce lag, but this doesn't matter if you set pre-rendered frames to 1 or vsync is off, or 124 to maybe prevent tearing? Doesn't seem to be any real evidence I can find.

What are you going for? What are you trying to improve/reduce/etc.?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Jan posted:

What are you going for? What are you trying to improve/reduce/etc.?
Power consumption and fan noise mostly. Most of what I can find about frame rate limiting is conjecture and bickering on counterstrike and moba forums, so I was wondering if there's any actual objective measurable information on the subject anywhere.

edit: or maybe I should just use adaptive vsync??? I'd prefer no input lag over no tearing, but I'm wondering what technique will get the best compromise between the two without shelling out a grand on gsync monitors.

edit2: or fast sync and an fps limit just over refresh rate? Too many options.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 19, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Exioce posted:

Hmm, you've given me some serious pause for thought now about getting that card, and I've cancelled my order. My entire set-up is completely ancient. We're talking a Wolfdale E5400 cpu. Perhaps it would be more economical to just wait for the Christmas sales and buy the budget build components recommended in this forum? I do want to get back into gaming a little, things like Elite Dangerous (Low graphical setting is okay with me, if not ideal), so a discreet GPU card is to a certain degree necessary. Maybe the RX 460 is the absolute minimum I really should go for.

TBH I'd consider just replacing the entire PC - you can probably get an off lease Sandybridge HP 8200 (or whatever the Lenovo and Dell equivalents are) for virtually nothing

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

even a $200 walmart special laptop. I bet even that would be like 5 times faster than your computer.

No, usually not because those tend to use "Celeron" Atoms. Gotta aim a little bit higher than $200 to get a real processor in a laptop.

dissss posted:

TBH I'd consider just replacing the entire PC - you can probably get an off lease Sandybridge HP 8200 (or whatever the Lenovo and Dell equivalents are) for virtually nothing

You can on the other hand do something like this for around $200, but I'd at least spend enough to get a system that can take a full-profile 2 slot GPU if you buy some OEM refurb or you're going to be sad when you go to pick one out.

This topic of discussion popped up pretty recently in the PC Parts Picking thread and I said to get a used GPU if you want to spend less than $100 and get good value. You can get a 7850 for like $50 and those are a hell of a lot better than an 8800 GS - they might even be half as good as a $100 1050.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 19, 2016

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Lowclock posted:

Power consumption and fan noise mostly. Most of what I can find about frame rate limiting is conjecture and bickering on counterstrike and moba forums, so I was wondering if there's any actual objective measurable information on the subject anywhere.

edit: or maybe I should just use adaptive vsync??? I'd prefer no input lag over no tearing, but I'm wondering what technique will get the best compromise between the two without shelling out a grand on gsync monitors.

edit2: or fast sync and an fps limit just over refresh rate? Too many options.

i use fastsync and my framelimit at 120 in BF1 (monitor is overclocked to 76 hz) and it's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

penus penus penus posted:

A while yes, 16 days to get an answer after being received no not really thats getting into "wtf" phase. Unfortunately you're going to have to call, which will inevitably give you an answer you already know, but its necessary sometimes to kick someone in the rear end down the food chain

Yeah I called them after 7 days and they essentially said it could take up to a month and there's nothing they could do about it. Their website officially says 5-15 business days. Ill give them a call in the morning. I'm going to be out of town for a month at the end of the week and I have this feeling they're going to magically be done right when that happens.