Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Okay, question time: how many of you thought of Frank Booth from Blue Velvet when Saw Gerrera was using his mask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Finally a prequel I can get behind. Everyone dying was a great call, and I can't watch to watch this and A New Hope back to back because of it.

I'm glad sass has more of a place in new Star Wars, Kasdan/Lucas were not that great at it.

lol at anyone whining about a guy named Dark Father making a double dad joke.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Okay, question time: how many of you thought of Frank Booth from Blue Velvet when Saw Gerrera was using his mask?

Me and there's no way they weren't thinking about it. On top of of course being a major Vader parallel.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I thought Cushing was well done, Leia was a bit of a disaster.

Sorry, i'm going to have to ask for clarification on this. Tarkin has a complex and lined face, had lots of screen time, and performed complex facial expressions and spoke full sentences. He looked like a cartoon character. Leia has a far less complex face, much smoother and less wrinkled. She was on screen for one second, had a slight smile and said one word. For these reasons I found Leia far less egregious than Tarkin.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Silver Brushes posted:

Me and there's no way they weren't thinking about it. On top of of course being a major Vader parallel.

Yeah, it wasn't just the fact that he pulled it out and huffed on it, but he also detached and bit loopy afterwards. Dude's totally on the Star Wars equivalent of nitrous.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Wait - hold the gently caress up.

Watching Episode 2 right now - and there's a scene, albeit briefly, where one of the separatists hands Count Dooku full fledged plans for the Death Star. Was Galen Erso NOT the designer of the Death Star? OR was he just partial developer or something? I'm confused.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Partial developer, he mainly worked on the superlaser and the kyber crystals powering it.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Partial developer, he mainly worked on the superlaser and the kyber crystals powering it.

Ah, so just the main weapon systems. Makes far better sense now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

If hes just doing the super laser why is he naming the entire project after his daughter and putting in huge design flaws to other unrelated areas of the station?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

banned from Starbucks posted:

If hes just doing the super laser why is he naming the entire project after his daughter and putting in huge design flaws to other unrelated areas of the station?

The timing actually works out if you accept that Jyn is 22 years old. He was working on the project when she was a small child so that time wise would be pretty close. Episode 3 you see them constructing the Death Star and they complete it in Rogue 1 which is 22 years later.

Not sure if I am suppose to spoiler this but anyway:

Super Laser has to have power so he designed it on that basis. It could require a exhaust port that would travel to the center of the Death Star

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Hollismason posted:

The timing actually works out if you accept that Jyn is 22 years old.

I don't think so tim

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well I guess it would actually be 18 years later between Episode 3 and Rogue 1. Anyway the timing does actually work out. The Death Star is being constructed at the end of Episode 3. So we know that Korven is working on that. It's just finishing construction 17 years later. If 6 years later her father goes to work on it then it's still not fully constructed which is enough time to work in the design flaw.

The timing of it all works.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Really kinda surprised that Disney let them make a tentpole billion dollar movie where everyone loving dies in some pretty bleak ways. The violence, while not graphic, was realistic in ways that you don't often see in aimed at kids movies. Like mads death wasn't a composed body lying prim and proper on the ground, dudes leg was twisted up under him. Bodies sent flying by explosives had a realist kinetic movement to them, and so did the people getting mowed down, or shot in the head by Asian gunman. I imagine a whole host of 10 and 12 year olds being brought to the theater by their nerd dad and leaving just sad as hell that none of the awesome guys survived.

The movie was good. I loved the attempts at more epic shots that gave a sense of depth to the universe. Star Wars is the least good when people are talking about republic this or empire that and the best when showing that stuff in dramatic ways.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Well I guess it would actually be 18 years later between Episode 3 and Rogue 1. Anyway the timing does actually work out. The Death Star is being constructed at the end of Episode 3. So we know that Korven is working on that. It's just finishing construction 17 years later. If 6 years later her father goes to work on it then it's still not fully constructed which is enough time to work in the design flaw.

While the timing works, thinking about it more: The designs that are handed to Dooku are fully fledged out. The weapon systems have already been designed too - or else, why the huge main weapon array on the designs shown when they are handed to Dooku?

I wonder how the conversation went when Galen snuck the port exhaust into the design?

"Hey Galen, we love the work you've done with the Kyber crsytals, but the original designs didn't include this suspicious vent that leads all the way into...."
"It's an air vent for the air conditioning systems. Some added comfort for our Death Star compatriots."
"But it doesn't make any sense, Galen. Why change the original plans if they'd been fledged out already and..."
"AIR CONDITIONING"

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Hollismason posted:

According to Wookiepedia she is meant to be 21 years old which, clearly she is in her early thirties but it's not a big deal.

e: maybe they already had the exhaust port it's just that Galen made it so that anything shot down there would light the whole thing up

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
Tarkin and Leia looked real good. That's all.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Tarkin and Leia looked real good. That's all.

Oh man, I got extreme uncanny valley feelings from Tarkin and it pulled me out of every scene he was in.

He looked over animated to me, if that makes any sense. His eyes, cheeks and all his facial muscles just seemed to be in constant motion, twitching and darting around. Too much color detail too. Other actors in the scene looked more flat (like they were filmed human beings), but Tarkin popped out like a CGI demo reel and made my brain go "Nope, that dude's not real" immediately.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm sincerely sorry, but you're lying to yourself if you think that kind of sarcasm and dad puns are even remotely similar

A dad pun accompanied by him nearly strangling a man to death with magic.

Vader is darkly comedic and loves to gently caress with people. I just posted this in the Other Movie Forum too but that's basically the difference in him and Kylo Ren; he's confident enough to know he can get away with it, while Kylo is a big self-serious tryhard.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Everyone dying isn't the downer it should be, because the movie doesn't give it any time. Before you know it you got your cool Vader scene and then audience pleasing cameo.

There's no real complexity or substance to any of it, aside from the idea that the Rebellion is a total mess, and that they've had to do some questionable things. But that's just glossed over anyway.

I see the novelization is out now, and as these things are always based on scripts rather than the finished film, it'll be interesting to see what's different

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Philip Rivers posted:

Also good:
- The Straights get incinerated in atomic hellfire :unsmigghh:

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

smoobles posted:

Oh man, I got extreme uncanny valley feelings from Tarkin and it pulled me out of every scene he was in.

He looked over animated to me, if that makes any sense. His eyes, cheeks and all his facial muscles just seemed to be in constant motion, twitching and darting around. Too much color detail too. Other actors in the scene looked more flat (like they were filmed human beings), but Tarkin popped out like a CGI demo reel and made my brain go "Nope, that dude's not real" immediately.

I get where you're coming from, but it's entirely your problem to overcome. For me, the reaction was "That dude's not real, and it's awesome."

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Was Leia done with the same CGI as Tarkin or was that some weird overlay work on top of archival footage or something? It looked much more "real" than Tarkin to me but I'm not sure if it was just because it was a really short shot in bright light, or if they spent more money on it, or what.

Tarkin was distracting in a couple shots, but it wasn't a huge deal. Any time he was kinda in the shadows and not standing right next to a real person, it was really hard to tell. I think his head was just slightly too big or something, though. Super minor nitpick regardless - it's fuckin' amazing how far things have come since, like, that CGI Beowulf thing.

Oh and shout out to the random rebel who was inexplicably dressed exactly like a US soldier in Vietnam and had a really heroic "I'll go" line before being instantly shot dead and slumping over in a doorway. It probably wasn't intended to be as funny as I found it, though.

Also there was some old guy next to me who I'm pretty sure caught the original trilogy in theaters and he was laughing his rear end off at basically every line the reprogrammed droid whose name I have forgotten said. He also let out a tiny squeal when the whole ending boarding sequence started. Was kinda neat seeing someone relive part of their childhood in real time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The end of Rogue One puts the start of A New Hope in a whole new light.

The protestations by Leia that they are a diplomatic ship on a peaceful mission seemed previously to be genuine attempts at persuading Vader he had made a mistake.

Now we know he chased them straight from the battle so Leia knows that Vader knows she is lying, and is just saying it to show that she won't tell him anything.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

I get where you're coming from, but it's entirely your problem to overcome. For me, the reaction was "That dude's not real, and it's awesome."

My issue was that for a moment it left me strongly expecting something weird to happen, like him sprouting tentacles from his face or whatnot.

It's not some sense of puritan hatred for CGI, it is simply distracting.

Maybe they should have made him a hologram of "the guy is off to somewhere, communicating remotely" in the scenes where he actually did real acting and spoke, using a real mask for the scenes where his presence is necessary, without straining it too much with active acting.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

Felicity Jones looked real good. That's all.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

smoobles posted:

It reminded me of the very nice looking 3d models from the battlefront games or something, was a little jarring. Leia I thought they wouldn't show so it was a surprise when she delivered the last line.

I love that they had the two heroes basically have a front row seat for a nuclear blast.

This is a series that had a cartoon rabbit doing slapstick and now they can tell stories that are very different from the mainline trilogy

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Judge Ito Boxing posted:

I get where you're coming from, but it's entirely your problem to overcome.

What an odd thing to say.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cross-Section posted:

I wonder if a reveal that her necklace was made from a Kyber crystal was thrown out with the other cuts.

It actually really bugs me because the reshoots are super obvious, mostly from all the trailer material. The whole tie fighter scene is COMPLETELY different (tie fighter on the platform).

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wonder if a reveal that her necklace was made from a Kyber crystal was thrown out with the other cuts.

I am confused, I thought that that was how the blind guy picked her out of the crowd, somehow sensing the necklace. I thought it was pretty clear that that's how it worked.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Caeks posted:

Wait - hold the gently caress up.

Watching Episode 2 right now - and there's a scene, albeit briefly, where one of the separatists hands Count Dooku full fledged plans for the Death Star. Was Galen Erso NOT the designer of the Death Star? OR was he just partial developer or something? I'm confused.

Hahaha, N-word Please! Nobody else remembers Episode 2, not even the people who made Episode 2.

Anyway, the original designers were murdered by Vader in episode 3. The team tasked with building it could easily have changed things around, refined them, whatever.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I appreciate those walker things were somewhat frightening this time around. The way they came lumbering out of the mist was a good reminder of how the Empire operates. :v:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

poptart_fairy posted:

I appreciate those walker things were somewhat frightening this time around. The way they came lumbering out of the mist was a good reminder of how the Empire operates. :v:

The theatre actually shook as their first steps were heard. It was awesome.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

My Q-Face posted:

Hahaha, N-word Please! Nobody else remembers Episode 2, not even the people who made Episode 2.

Anyway, the original designers were murdered by Vader in episode 3. The team tasked with building it could easily have changed things around, refined them, whatever.

Are you talking about the Seperatist leaders? I don't think they designed the Death Star.

In real life, the A-10 has some ridiculous tank-killing gatling gun. When they built the prototype, the cannon hadn't been finalised, so they basically jammed in a stock 20mm Vulcan that pretty much every fighter had. I figure it's something like that. We've got this plan, we're iffy on the specifics but we have a WiP idea of how much space we'll need and where it'll fit into the design. Given that they're working with some insane energy requirements, it's not hard to imagine that design-process taking nearly 2 decades, even if the skeleton of the station was pretty much done years prior. It's not like they had a test-bed planetkiller laser somewhere; they were building the first iteration directly on the battle-station. They didn't even know if they'd get a successful test firing on Jedha.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm sincerely sorry, but you're lying to yourself if you think that kind of sarcasm and dad puns are even remotely similar

Yeah, Vader just pulling a pun pulled me out of the movie. But some people liked it I guess?

But Vader was less a character and more just "Vader" in the pop-culture sense of what Vader is. He had nothing to do but show up and look badass.

Zapp Brannigan
Mar 29, 2006

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, Vader just pulling a pun pulled me out of the movie. But some people liked it I guess?

But Vader was less a character and more just "Vader" in the pop-culture sense of what Vader is. He had nothing to do but show up and look badass.

I think it was more of a "cat playing with a mouse" moment for the character, but a "ha ha I see what he did there!" throw at the audience. In the same light, it's not really out of step with how he behaves in the OT. Basically going back to Vader willy nilly killing an admiral and promoting a captain to take his place on the spot over and over. Or maybe they just wanted to get as many lines from JEJ before he dies so they can use them in the future?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

The protestations by Leia that they are a diplomatic ship on a peaceful mission seemed previously to be genuine attempts at persuading Vader he had made a mistake.

I mean I didn't think the Empire had "we literally just saw you" suspicions, but IMO the audience never had reason to doubt whether the Death Star plans were on that ship.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think they forgot to put characters in this movie.

I think there's too many of them. Unlike the films of a trilogy, which can take their time introducing, developing, and resolving characters over 6+ hours, this kind of one-off has to do it just like any other film, but it still has an ensemble like Star Wars. They really should've focused on Jyn and Cassian and their growing relationship/differing values (which I don't necessarily mean romantically, but if they wanted to go that route it would've made it seem more natural), the cool kung fu Force monk (who's a really interesting and striking character), and Krennick, the film's antagonist. Every line and scene that involves the big dude with the gun or the wacky (?) Imperial pilot distracts from the characters whose development actually matters to the film.

Baku fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 17, 2016

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
I just got back from this. It's pretty dismal. Forest Whitaker's character was hilariously lame. I like him as an actor but he was given absolutely nothing to work with in that script. The main character is a charisma black hole. Her speech to the rebel soldiers was cringeworthy, if anything I bet it would make them fight worse. The two guys they pick up at the temple had cool gimmicks, and Riz Ahmed is good in everything. Too bad he's not given enough to do here. Overall I'd consider the movie to be around Phantom Menace quality.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Shut up nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Bum the Sad posted:

Shut up nerd.

Some people just hate fun.