Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Jon Dore is one of my fav guests on SPY but he makes it his mission to ruin the show every time, so it's probably only fun if you're already familiar with the rhythm of the show, to see how he ruins it.

Yeah Dave trying to mask his genuine irritation at everything Jon Dore says and does is a delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Greggy posted:

google says yes (not in a "heh lmgtfy" way, i just am not familiar with that show and only know him from SPY)

Nah it's just funny since he was the star of this very well known sitcom in Canada that had a lot of repeats on TV, so he's pretty well-known in Canada for this mediocre (but I enjoyed it) sitcom but absolutely not known outside of here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veu-Cm7aHMw

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Disney is producing a new DuckTales show with Bobby Moynihan, Ben Schwartz, Danny Pudi, and Kate Micucci, but not Joe Wengert

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Sharparoni posted:

Disney is producing a new DuckTales show with Bobby Moynihan, Ben Schwartz, Danny Pudi, and Kate Micucci, but not Joe Wengert

Don't forget David Tennant as... Scrooge McDuck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZek9PFMYOw

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So I've been listening to the old episodes of CBB and I have to say that I think I prefer that format to the current one. That's not to say I don't still love CBB, just that things were a lot more relaxed. I dunno. Just my observation.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/809846803101122560

Uh, did not see that coming :stare:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That sounds great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Whoa. Saw that news story pop up earlier but didn't bother to click through. That sounds terrific.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So I've been listening to the old episodes of CBB and I have to say that I think I prefer that format to the current one. That's not to say I don't still love CBB, just that things were a lot more relaxed. I dunno. Just my observation.

A-greed.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The only thing I don't like about old CBB is Scott used to do the thing where he'd reset endlessly, radio style, as a joke & now he mostly only does it up top.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

I hope he drafted in Don DiMello to sexy it up. "Bring out the girls" indeed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This Ducktales CBB cast is amazing. Hopefully Disney lets them promote it as a group on an ep.

e: Or they just do it anyway.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Teenage Fansub posted:

This Ducktales CBB cast is amazing. Hopefully Disney lets them promote it as a group on an ep.

e: Or they just do it anyway.

Next solo bolo is just an hour straight of Scott and Benny Schwaz singing the Ducktales theme song

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Dacap posted:

Next solo bolo is just an hour straight of Scott and Benny Schwaz singing the Ducktales theme song

And then Fourvel comes in and murders them.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Was Dr. Green from anything before this ep?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
No, I think he's new. I liked the character, though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Too bad they didn't play Big Chunky Bubbles' "review" from the Montreal show as that was easily the best part.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

I must be in the minority but Scott and Paul bullshitting in the Best Of's and breaking into song every five seconds is completely unlistenable. I'd like to use the Best Of's to get people into the podcast but there's no way they'll sit through 20 minutes of that nonsense to get to the really great parts (although I guess you could say that's an accurate description of the podcast in general). Needless to say, I just skip the Solo Bolo's entirely.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think most CBB fans like it but yeah I've skipped the past couple best ofs (and all the solo bolos after the first one)

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i love that a new star wars is gonna come out every time they do best ofs from now on so they'll spend at least 20 minutes or more talking about it every year

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not a fan of the Solo Bolos but I could listen to Scott & PFT bullshit all day long.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Listening to PFT bullshit with Scott is second only to listening to PFT bullshit with Eban Schletter's musical accompaniment.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I wonder if Scott will ever fundamentally change the format of the podcast. I remember him telling the story of when he ran the live Comedy Death Ray show, and how it ended up continuing for much longer than he originally intended for it to run. My favorite part of the best-ofs is that he partially drops character.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Hey what is the go-to podcast app on iOS these days? I've used Downcast for years but it's getting really buggy and the latest version seems like it's about 6 months overdue. I know Overcast is free with a $10(!) subscription but I'm not sure what that adds exactly and there's Pocket Casts, which I've never used. Overcast claims low-battery usage cuz their server handles the RSS refreshing but maybe that's a Premium feature, not sure if Pocket Casts has the central server thing.

I don't do any of that bullshit like listen at double speed because I'm not a monster. Podcast app reviews seem to think that is the ultimate killer feature. Also Downcast has no way to make a custom playlist which is crazy and something I get pissed about when I spend 9 hours working on my car with my hands covered in poisonous chemicals. So custom playlists would be great.

It will be a huge loving hassle to switch apps so I'd like to just do it once by obeying the Earwolf thread hive mind.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I've been using Overcast for a year now and I like it a lot. It auto deletes podcasts when you finish and gives you the ability to make a playlist which is kinda all I cared about tbh. I don't really have any complaints.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Giving Overcast a try with the CBB Specials feed. I used it before just for the web interface but not the actual app. It's got ads on the root interface but seems decent. Doesn't seem to have the classic simple Music.app style playlist builder but more options than Downcast at least.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Unmerciful posted:

I must be in the minority but Scott and Paul bullshitting in the Best Of's and breaking into song every five seconds is completely unlistenable. I'd like to use the Best Of's to get people into the podcast but there's no way they'll sit through 20 minutes of that nonsense to get to the really great parts (although I guess you could say that's an accurate description of the podcast in general). Needless to say, I just skip the Solo Bolo's entirely.

The song stuff was mostly in the beginning.

Worth listening to because they replayed Jessica McKenna's amazing freestyle raps

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Haven't listened yet, do they sing some classic Jizz music?

e: totally called it, 5mins in. some things never change

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 20, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

el_caballo posted:

Hey what is the go-to podcast app on iOS these days? I've used Downcast for years but it's getting really buggy and the latest version seems like it's about 6 months overdue. I know Overcast is free with a $10(!) subscription but I'm not sure what that adds exactly and there's Pocket Casts, which I've never used. Overcast claims low-battery usage cuz their server handles the RSS refreshing but maybe that's a Premium feature, not sure if Pocket Casts has the central server thing.

I don't do any of that bullshit like listen at double speed because I'm not a monster. Podcast app reviews seem to think that is the ultimate killer feature. Also Downcast has no way to make a custom playlist which is crazy and something I get pissed about when I spend 9 hours working on my car with my hands covered in poisonous chemicals. So custom playlists would be great.

It will be a huge loving hassle to switch apps so I'd like to just do it once by obeying the Earwolf thread hive mind.

I started using Pocket Casts a couple months ago, simple interface and syncs between devices, I dig it so far.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think I've seen the Huawei brand for maybe 20 years before hearing any pronunciation. Thank's Scott. Thanks Wahway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like that they brought up just how mean PFT characters are towards Scott, as I've been bingeing the UK and Aus tour episodes recently and he is really relentless.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Unmerciful posted:

Sounds like the new Hollywood Handbook is for you.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think I've seen the Huawei brand for maybe 20 years before hearing any pronunciation. Thank's Scott. Thanks Wahway.

There was an ad where he called them "Hoo-ahh-way-ee" so it's not the easiest to figure out.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

el_caballo posted:

Overcast is free with a $10(!) subscription

:wtc:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Don't know about premium freemium?

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
I mean, it looks like most of the poo poo I care about is in the free version (except for importing already downloaded old podcast mp3s off my PC, which is lame) but I really prefer the Downcast interface to Overcast. Easier to see which episode you've started but not finished, the 2 min jump forward is handy when I have to listen to WTF, no ads, etc.

Just wish it didn't have weird graphics problems every other day where 90% of your list is disappears and the screen stops responding.

I may have to give Pocket Casts a try. The web player is a $9 add-on but it's one-time only and might be worth it. Pocket Casts also has a central server I think and seems like it has classic playlist function, where you can just add one ep at a time without any autoplaylist bullshit. I don't know why that is so hard for Downcast and even Overcast to do. The loving Howl app has it come on guys.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 20, 2016

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've been using Overcast since this month and I like it but the yearly sub is crazy. I'd gladly pay him $10 once since I use it so much. I like the vocal boost and smart speed functions and the whole "when you press play after leaving a podcast paused for 5 minutes, it plays the first time" unlike Apple's podcast app since the last major update.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I'm not subscribed and I don't think I notice a difference to be honest. I had to open the app up to confirm there are ads, because it's literally just a small banner at the top of the podcast list.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I think the only thing you get besides no ads is the ability to upload audio files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm not a fan of the Solo Bolos but I could listen to Scott & PFT bullshit all day long.
I like both of these things, but I do find the singing intolerable.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like that they brought up just how mean PFT characters are towards Scott, as I've been bingeing the UK and Aus tour episodes recently and he is really relentless.
Oh drat, now I'm REALLY bummed I didn't get to listen to those tours. People ripping into Scott is my favourite thing.

I remember on the first tour (back when I had dat Howl) the characters were making fun of Scott for his terrible intro and he finally got defensive and was like "you try coming up with stuff to say to an audience every night like this". And I was scratching my head a little because I never understood the point of his rambling intros. I mean just get the characters out straight away. Him trying to muster a story out about what sandwich he had that day or whatever was always the worst part of the tour and begging to be skipped.