Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
In general, it allows you to use the type-checker as a more general theorem prover - using the same principles of checking if a value will always be an Int, you can extend that to check if a value will always be an Int that is between 0 and 255. It's basically using types as specifications of what the program actually means (the idea is that you can encode arbitrary amounts of information in types to asymptotically approach a compile-time check that verifies literally all the features you want from your program. Obviously, we're no where near there, and it's not likely that's a reachable goal, but dependent types let you opt in to compile time checking of interesting guarantees.)

In some arguments, this is meant to take the place of unit tests - instead of writing tests that run a function and check, for some set of inputs, that the outputs are the ones you expect, you can use dependent types to encode in the type of the function that the function will only ever return types you expect (like the type of (++) on Vect embedding the length, ensuring that the Vect you get back is of the correct length.) Theoretically, you could, instead of unit tests of some abstract property, use dependent typing to create functions that express proofs of properties of your system (like the associativity of operations, or invariants of functions.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's an attempt to further increase our ability to "Make invalid values unrepresentable."

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Right - we're trying to reduce the domain of our functions to exactly the ones we're interested in, where traditional typed programming makes us write functions that accept a whole bunch of stuff that we don't care about and don't ever want as input, but have to acknowledge because we need to have total functions over whatever input type we use.

To some extent, what these dependent types let us do is move specification from the output of a function, where we weaken the image of the function to allow for more inputs, to a function where we've strengthened the domain instead (for example - Haskell List head operates on all Lists, but will error on an empty list; Idris Vects operate only on non-empty lists, and guarantee that they don't error.) This does sometimes constitute a burden when calling a function (having to provide proof of a non-empty list), but allows us to use the result of functions much more easily (not having to care about errors; we can also get rid of a lot of functions that return Maybe a by restricting the input type to only inputs that would allow defined outputs, which means when we call those functions, we can assume that we have valid output.)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Asymmetrikon posted:

...we can also get rid of a lot of functions that return Maybe a by restricting the input type to only inputs that would allow defined outputs...

I've been munging some nested data structure in Elm and I want this so bad!!!

This point should be in the marketing of dependent type langs.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Genuine question: What's the real world utility of dependent types?
Same as static types, but moreso. They enable the compiler to check for violations of more of your code's invariants. For simple code sometimes a compiler can even infer parts of your code for you!

e: Whoops, this has already been answered thoroughly. Oh well.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

this is a really cool talk about using type providers to do type safe aws deployments

https://youtu.be/QMPum88xluE

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Ralith posted:

e: Whoops, this has already been answered thoroughly. Oh well.
No, you did bring up a great point - because of greater specification of types, dependently typed languages allow the compiler to do way more generation of code than ordinary type systems; that's one of the subjects Edwin Brady was interested in (you can see one of his talks about this here.)

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
re: dependent types, https://coq.inria.fr the coq proof assistant is really cool, it uses dependent types.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Dependent types are p much the best CS invention in my short lifetime. They can theoretically eliminate runtime errors. Making your program total and terminating is sometimes an additional benefit.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's an Idris book whose first chapter is available online. It's worth a read if you're interested in what sort of examples Edwin Brady chose to illustrate the power of dependent types, but you won't get a lot of detail.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Alternatively, Software Foundations is available for free in its entirety. It teaches dependent types using Coq, which has many of the fancy features Idris dreams of, up to and including a smart editor tightly integrated with the compiler. This is the language that CompCert, the proven-correct C compiler, is written in.

xtal posted:

Dependent types are p much the best CS invention in my short lifetime. They can theoretically eliminate runtime errors. Making your program total and terminating is sometimes an additional benefit.
Intuitionistic type theory was introduced in 1972. Sorry to say, you're old.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 2, 2016

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If I want to write in Lisp and distribute a binary to my users, is Racket my best option these days?

Weekend Bridges
Apr 8, 2015

by Smythe

rt4 posted:

If I want to write in Lisp and distribute a binary to my users, is Racket my best option these days?

I don't think that's really an issue for many Common Lisp or Scheme implementations, ie, use whatever.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Racket requires a runtime be installed so imho you might as well use Clojure. SBCL and Chicken can make static linked binaries from Common Lisp and Scheme code but they are hard to cross compile.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Athas posted:

My experience is that it is terrible to use in practice. As an experiment, I had a module in my compiler that I decided to implement using all this type-level magic. While I got it to work, I ended up spending a ton of time proving arithmetic identities (like x+(y-z)=(x+y)-z) to satisfy the type checker. This is also a serious PITA in real dependently typed languages, but they generally have tooling to generate trivial but tedious proofs. I have since replaced it with dynamic checks that fail if my desired invariants are invalidated. Works fine and is much easier to understand and modify.

I did research on a "practical" dependently-typed language for a year in grad school, and yeah, this was my experience: you spend a lot of time proving basically trivial things. And that was for well-known problems like discussing the length of a list; my experience with trying to prove novel things about real programs (this time in Coq) was that even formulating the types in a way that allowed a proof to proceed was just an unending series of major research problems, which is not a surprise to anybody who's ever done real mathematics, but which constantly seems to surprise the CS folks.

My takeaway was that you should always strive to write code that you could make a rigorous argument about. Having done that, you should then go write good documentation about your preconditions and check them with assertions.

Smoke_Max
Sep 7, 2011

I find refinement typing (such as LiquidHaskell) to be a pretty good compromise between power and usability. Just being able to say simple things like "this integer argument is positive and less than 100" without having to pass around a billion proofs between functions is great for me.

Smoke_Max fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 18, 2016

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know if Typed Racket or Clojure has support for quasi-dependent types? Gradual types seem like a nice compromise to me since you don't need to type absolutely​ everything​, and you can still statically verify them.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Another interesting approach to encoding/checking code is Dafny.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

xtal posted:

Does anyone know if Typed Racket or Clojure has support for quasi-dependent types? Gradual types seem like a nice compromise to me since you don't need to type absolutely​ everything​, and you can still statically verify them.
A year or so ago when I was working on some Typed Racket code (a rather nice experience, though compile times aren't great) I heard about an ongoing effort to add dependent types to it; I haven't kept up with it but it's a good direction to look.

rjmccall posted:

I did research on a "practical" dependently-typed language for a year in grad school, and yeah, this was my experience: you spend a lot of time proving basically trivial things. And that was for well-known problems like discussing the length of a list; my experience with trying to prove novel things about real programs (this time in Coq) was that even formulating the types in a way that allowed a proof to proceed was just an unending series of major research problems, which is not a surprise to anybody who's ever done real mathematics, but which constantly seems to surprise the CS folks.

My takeaway was that you should always strive to write code that you could make a rigorous argument about. Having done that, you should then go write good documentation about your preconditions and check them with assertions.
My experience with Idris was consistent with this, but I remain strongly of the opinion that it's good to have the ability to make strong, precise statements in your type system, even if actually doing so to the maximal extent is a gigantic can of worms. Nothing's forcing you to use every tool available to you at all times.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Stupid Haskell Newbie Question:

I'm working through "Haskell From First Principles" and I'm confused about an exercise. The exercise says to write your own version of squish. All the answers I can find on the net are something like:

code:
squish :: [[a]] -> [a]
squish [] = []
squish (x:xs) = x ++ squish xs
This gives the correct output - for [[1,2,3],[4,5]] it gives [1,2,3,4,5]. But I can't understand why it works, given that:

code:
(\(x:xs) -> x) 

or 

squish2 (x:xs) = x
gives [1,2,3]. The head in all these functions is a list. The anonymous function and squish2 each return a list, not the first item of a sub-list, and I can't understand why the "correct" version of squish doesn't do the same. (i.e. I can't figure out why the output isn't [[1,2,3],whatever] rather than [1,2,3,4,5]). Am I missing something really obvious?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Not sure I quite understand, but "a ++ b" concatenates two lists. The second clause of squish returns x ++ squish xs, where x is a list and squish xs is also a list. If we apply it to [[1,2,3],[4,5]], we match like:

code:
squish [[1,2,3],[4,5]]
squish ([1,2,3]:[[4,5]])       -- desugar list
[1,2,3] ++ squish [[4,5]]      -- match on second clause of squish
[1,2,3] ++ squish ([4,5]:[])   -- desugar list
[1,2,3] ++ [4,5] ++ squish []  -- match on second clause of squish
[1,2,3] ++ [4,5] ++ []         -- match on first clause of squish
[1,2,3] ++ [4,5]               -- concatenate
[1,2,3,4,5]                    -- concatenate

Asymmetrikon fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 2, 2017

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Gnumonic posted:

The anonymous function and squish2 each return a list, not the first item of a sub-list, and I can't understand why the "correct" version of squish doesn't do the same. (i.e. I can't figure out why the output isn't [[1,2,3],whatever] rather than [1,2,3,4,5]). Am I missing something really obvious?
The first item of a nonempty list-of-lists is a list.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gnumonic posted:

The head in all these functions is a list. The anonymous function and squish2 each return a list, not the first item of a sub-list, and I can't understand why the "correct" version of squish doesn't do the same. (i.e. I can't figure out why the output isn't [[1,2,3],whatever] rather than [1,2,3,4,5]). Am I missing something really obvious?
Are you confusing ++ and : or something? If x is a list of a's, x ++ y will be as well.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gnumonic posted:

Stupid Haskell Newbie Question:

I'm working through "Haskell From First Principles" and I'm confused about an exercise. The exercise says to write your own version of squish. All the answers I can find on the net are something like:

code:
squish [] = []
This gives the correct output - for [[1,2,3],[4,5]] it gives [1,2,3,4,5]. But I can't understand why it works, given that:

code:
(\(x:xs) -> x) 

or 

squish2 (x:xs) = x
gives [1,2,3]. The head in all these functions is a list. The anonymous function and squish2 each return a list, not the first item of a sub-list, and I can't understand why the "correct" version of squish doesn't do the same. (i.e. I can't figure out why the output isn't [[1,2,3],whatever] rather than [1,2,3,4,5]). Am I missing something really obvious?

I'm also a Haskell beginner, but I'm a bit further along with you. This is how I figured this out when I ran into it a bit ago.

Using GHCI, you can inspect the types of operators. Compare the types of (:) and (++)

code:
(:) :: a -> [a] -> [a]
(++) :: [a] -> [a] -> [a]
So (:) takes an element and a list and adds that element to the list. (++) takes a list and a list and concatenates them. The type of your squish function is

code:
So any call to squish requires a list of lists of a, and it returns a list of a. So then the confusing line of squish is:

code:
Pattern matching against (x:xs) gives you the head element in x and the rest of the list in xs. In other words,

code:
x :: a
xs :: [a]
The confusion here is that the type a is actually a list itself, so x is of type [a] and xs is of type [[a]]. So what you're doing is you're calling (++) on an object of type [a] (x) and another object of type [a] (the return value of squish). This is totally legal and will return an object of type [a]. So what squish is doing is chopping off each head element of the input list sequentially, concatenating that to the result of squishing the tail, and ending when it is fed the empty list. This concatenates all of the sublists of the input [[a]] and gives you the squished result.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm doing some Elixir practice projects and the concept of OTP and functions as processes is definitely interesting, but I'm having a hard time understanding the real world application of it and why you would want to structure a system that way, and what kind of common problems/notable systems and products call for OTP. What is it usually used for? Phoenix always talks about chat apps 'n stuff, but that seems like a different thing to me.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I'm doing some Elixir practice projects and the concept of OTP and functions as processes is definitely interesting, but I'm having a hard time understanding the real world application of it and why you would want to structure a system that way, and what kind of common problems/notable systems and products call for OTP. What is it usually used for? Phoenix always talks about chat apps 'n stuff, but that seems like a different thing to me.

Rather than making a very long post about this from scratch, I'll source a transcript of a talk I gave on 'The Zen of Erlang' that mentions what OTP can bring to system structure: http://ferd.ca/the-zen-of-erlang.html

With supervisors (rounded squares), we can start creating deep hierarchies of processes. Here we have a system for elections, with two trees: a tally tree and a live reports tree. The tally tree takes care of counting and storing results, and the live reports tree is about letting people connect to it to see the results.

By the order the children are defined, the live reports will not run until the tally tree is booted and functional. The district subtree (about counting results per district) won't run unless the storage layer is available. The storage's cache is only booted if the storage worker pool (which would connect to a database) is operational.

The supervision strategies (one-for-one, one-for-all, rest-for-one) let us encode these requirements in the program structure, and they are still respected at run time, not just at boot time. For example, the tally supervisor may be using a one for one strategy, meaning that districts can individually fail without effecting each other's counts. By contrast, each district (Quebec and Ontario's supervisors) could be employing a rest for one strategy. This strategy could therefore ensure that the OCR process can always send its detected vote to the 'count' worker, and it can crash often without impacting it. On the other hand, if the count worker is unable to keep and store state, its demise interrupts the OCR procedure, ensuring nothing breaks.

The OCR process itself here could be just monitoring code written in C, as a standalone agent, and be linked to it. This would further isolate the faults of that C code from the VM, for better isolation or parallelisation.

Another thing I should point out is that each supervisor has a configurable tolerance to failure; the district supervisor might be very tolerant and deal with 10 failures a minute, whereas the storage layer could be fairly intolerant to failure if expected to be correct, and shut down permanently after 3 crashes an hour if we wanted it to.

In this program, critical features are closer to the root of the tree, unmoving and solid. They are unimpacted by their siblings' demise, but their own failure impacts everyone else. The leaves do all the work and can be lost fairly well — once they have absorbed the data and operated their photosynthesis on it, it is allowed to go towards the core.

So by defining all of that, we can isolate risky code in a worker with a high tolerance or a process that is being monitored, and move data to stabler process as information matures into the system. If the OCR code in C is dangerous, it can fail and safely be restarted. When it works, it transmits its information to the Erlang OCR process. That process can do validation, maybe crash on its own, maybe not. If the information is solid, it moves it to the Count process, whose job is to maintain very simple state, and eventually flush that state to the database via the storage subtree, safely independent.

If the OCR process dies, it gets restarted. If it dies too often, it takes its own supervisor down, and that bit of the subtree is restarted too — without affecting the rest of the system. If that fixes things, great. If not, the process is repeated upwards until it works, or until the whole system is taken down as something is clearly wrong and we can't cope with it through restarts.

There's enormous value in structuring the system this way because error handling is baked into its structure. This means I can stop writing outrageously defensive code in the edge nodes — if something goes wrong, let someone else (or the program's structure) dictate how to react. If I know how to handle an error, fine, I can do that for that specific error. Otherwise, just let it crash!

This tends to transform your code. Slowly you notice that it no longer contains these tons of if/else or switches or try/catch expressions. Instead, it contains legible code explaining what the code should do when everything goes right. It stops containing many forms of second guessing, and your software becomes much more readable.

When taking a step back and looking at our program structure, we may in fact find that each of the subtrees encircled in yellow seem to be mostly independent from each other in terms of what they do; their dependency is mostly logical: the reporting system needs a storage layer to query, for example.

It would also be great if I could, for example, swap my storage implementation or use it independently in other systems. It could be neat, too, to isolate the live reports system into a different node or to start providing alternative means (such as SMS for example).

What we now need is to find a way to break up these subtrees and turn them into logical units that we can compose, reuse together, and that we can otherwise configure, restart, or develop independently.

OTP applications are what Erlang uses as a solution here. OTP applications are pretty much the code to construct such a subtree, along with some metadata. This metadata contains basic stuff like version numbers and descriptions of what the app does, but also ways to specify dependencies between applications. This is useful because it lets me keep my storage app independent from the rest of the system, but still encode the tally app's need for it to be there when it runs. I can keep all the information I had encoded in my system, but now it is built out of independent blocks that are easier to reason about.

In fact, OTP applications are what people consider to be libraries in Erlang. If your code base isn't an OTP application, it isn't reusable in other systems. [Sidenote: there are ways to specify OTP libraries that do not actually contain subtrees, just modules to be reused by other libraries]

With all of this done, our Erlang system now has all of the following properties defined:
  • what is critical or not to the survival of the system
  • what is allowed to fail or not, and at which frequency it can do so before it is no longer sustainable
  • how software should boot according to which guarantees, and in what order
  • how software should fail, meaning it defines the legal states of partial failures you find yourself in, and how to roll back to a known stable state when this happens
  • how software is upgraded (because it can be upgraded live, based on the supervision structure)
  • how components interdepend on each other
This is all extremely valuable. What's more valuable is forcing every developer to think in such terms from early on. You have less defensive code, and when bad things happen, the system keeps running. All you have to do is go look at the logs or introspect the live system state and take your time to fix things, if you feel it's worth the time.

In a nutshell, the Zen of Erlang and 'let it crash' is really all about figuring out how components interact with each other, figuring out what is critical and what is not, what state can be saved, kept, recomputed, or lost. In all cases, you have to come up with a worst-case scenario and how to survive it. By using fail-fast mechanisms with isolation, links & monitors, and supervisors to give boundaries to all of these worst-case scenarios' scale and propagation, you make it a really well-understood regular failure case.

That sounds simple, but it's surprisingly good; if you feel that your well-understood regular failure case is viable, then all your error handling can fall-through to that case. You no longer need to worry or write defensive code. You write what the code should do and let the program's structure dictate the rest. Let it crash.

OTP is pretty much instrumental to that.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

MononcQc posted:

Rather than making a very long post about this from scratch, I'll source a transcript of a talk I gave on 'The Zen of Erlang' that mentions what OTP can bring to system structure: http://ferd.ca/the-zen-of-erlang.html

With supervisors (rounded squares), we can start creating deep hierarchies of processes. Here we have a system for elections, with two trees: a tally tree and a live reports tree. The tally tree takes care of counting and storing results, and the live reports tree is about letting people connect to it to see the results.

By the order the children are defined, the live reports will not run until the tally tree is booted and functional. The district subtree (about counting results per district) won't run unless the storage layer is available. The storage's cache is only booted if the storage worker pool (which would connect to a database) is operational.

The supervision strategies (one-for-one, one-for-all, rest-for-one) let us encode these requirements in the program structure, and they are still respected at run time, not just at boot time. For example, the tally supervisor may be using a one for one strategy, meaning that districts can individually fail without effecting each other's counts. By contrast, each district (Quebec and Ontario's supervisors) could be employing a rest for one strategy. This strategy could therefore ensure that the OCR process can always send its detected vote to the 'count' worker, and it can crash often without impacting it. On the other hand, if the count worker is unable to keep and store state, its demise interrupts the OCR procedure, ensuring nothing breaks.

The OCR process itself here could be just monitoring code written in C, as a standalone agent, and be linked to it. This would further isolate the faults of that C code from the VM, for better isolation or parallelisation.

Another thing I should point out is that each supervisor has a configurable tolerance to failure; the district supervisor might be very tolerant and deal with 10 failures a minute, whereas the storage layer could be fairly intolerant to failure if expected to be correct, and shut down permanently after 3 crashes an hour if we wanted it to.

In this program, critical features are closer to the root of the tree, unmoving and solid. They are unimpacted by their siblings' demise, but their own failure impacts everyone else. The leaves do all the work and can be lost fairly well — once they have absorbed the data and operated their photosynthesis on it, it is allowed to go towards the core.

So by defining all of that, we can isolate risky code in a worker with a high tolerance or a process that is being monitored, and move data to stabler process as information matures into the system. If the OCR code in C is dangerous, it can fail and safely be restarted. When it works, it transmits its information to the Erlang OCR process. That process can do validation, maybe crash on its own, maybe not. If the information is solid, it moves it to the Count process, whose job is to maintain very simple state, and eventually flush that state to the database via the storage subtree, safely independent.

If the OCR process dies, it gets restarted. If it dies too often, it takes its own supervisor down, and that bit of the subtree is restarted too — without affecting the rest of the system. If that fixes things, great. If not, the process is repeated upwards until it works, or until the whole system is taken down as something is clearly wrong and we can't cope with it through restarts.

There's enormous value in structuring the system this way because error handling is baked into its structure. This means I can stop writing outrageously defensive code in the edge nodes — if something goes wrong, let someone else (or the program's structure) dictate how to react. If I know how to handle an error, fine, I can do that for that specific error. Otherwise, just let it crash!

This tends to transform your code. Slowly you notice that it no longer contains these tons of if/else or switches or try/catch expressions. Instead, it contains legible code explaining what the code should do when everything goes right. It stops containing many forms of second guessing, and your software becomes much more readable.

When taking a step back and looking at our program structure, we may in fact find that each of the subtrees encircled in yellow seem to be mostly independent from each other in terms of what they do; their dependency is mostly logical: the reporting system needs a storage layer to query, for example.

It would also be great if I could, for example, swap my storage implementation or use it independently in other systems. It could be neat, too, to isolate the live reports system into a different node or to start providing alternative means (such as SMS for example).

What we now need is to find a way to break up these subtrees and turn them into logical units that we can compose, reuse together, and that we can otherwise configure, restart, or develop independently.

OTP applications are what Erlang uses as a solution here. OTP applications are pretty much the code to construct such a subtree, along with some metadata. This metadata contains basic stuff like version numbers and descriptions of what the app does, but also ways to specify dependencies between applications. This is useful because it lets me keep my storage app independent from the rest of the system, but still encode the tally app's need for it to be there when it runs. I can keep all the information I had encoded in my system, but now it is built out of independent blocks that are easier to reason about.

In fact, OTP applications are what people consider to be libraries in Erlang. If your code base isn't an OTP application, it isn't reusable in other systems. [Sidenote: there are ways to specify OTP libraries that do not actually contain subtrees, just modules to be reused by other libraries]

With all of this done, our Erlang system now has all of the following properties defined:
  • what is critical or not to the survival of the system
  • what is allowed to fail or not, and at which frequency it can do so before it is no longer sustainable
  • how software should boot according to which guarantees, and in what order
  • how software should fail, meaning it defines the legal states of partial failures you find yourself in, and how to roll back to a known stable state when this happens
  • how software is upgraded (because it can be upgraded live, based on the supervision structure)
  • how components interdepend on each other
This is all extremely valuable. What's more valuable is forcing every developer to think in such terms from early on. You have less defensive code, and when bad things happen, the system keeps running. All you have to do is go look at the logs or introspect the live system state and take your time to fix things, if you feel it's worth the time.

In a nutshell, the Zen of Erlang and 'let it crash' is really all about figuring out how components interact with each other, figuring out what is critical and what is not, what state can be saved, kept, recomputed, or lost. In all cases, you have to come up with a worst-case scenario and how to survive it. By using fail-fast mechanisms with isolation, links & monitors, and supervisors to give boundaries to all of these worst-case scenarios' scale and propagation, you make it a really well-understood regular failure case.

That sounds simple, but it's surprisingly good; if you feel that your well-understood regular failure case is viable, then all your error handling can fall-through to that case. You no longer need to worry or write defensive code. You write what the code should do and let the program's structure dictate the rest. Let it crash.

OTP is pretty much instrumental to that.

Any chance you have a recording of this?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Ochowie posted:

Any chance you have a recording of this?

First conference was a private corporate one. I made a second presentation at reactive summit in austin earlier this year which was recorded though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIPijEqrNI

The matching slide copies are at http://www.slideshare.net/Reactivesummit/the-zen-of-erlang

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Good talk, loved the notorious bsd cameo.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What is the best language to use on a Raspberry Pi? Haskell runs fine but lens has been compiling for over a day

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

xtal posted:

What is the best language to use on a Raspberry Pi? Haskell runs fine but lens has been compiling for over a day

How is this different from normal? :v:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

xtal posted:

How is ghc cross-compilation? Could you compile it on a different machine and then just move the binaries over?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

VikingofRock posted:

How is ghc cross-compilation? Could you compile it on a different machine and then just move the binaries over?

It 's awful, but maybe I can compile to C or an intermediate LLVM code and finish the process on the pi. The problem is that my build pipeline doesn't really support that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MononcQc posted:

First conference was a private corporate one. I made a second presentation at reactive summit in austin earlier this year which was recorded though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIPijEqrNI

The matching slide copies are at http://www.slideshare.net/Reactivesummit/the-zen-of-erlang

Informative and entertaining. You got multiple laughs out of me, so I assume the audience's silence was from awe at your sheer presence.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

xtal posted:

If you can live without being MAXIMUM FUNCTIONAL, rust's nice, and has a pretty good embedded story.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

xtal posted:

It 's awful, but maybe I can compile to C or an intermediate LLVM code and finish the process on the pi. The problem is that my build pipeline doesn't really support that.

You could rent some time on a fast ARM machine from Packet for 50 cents an hour, but I'm not familiar enough with GHC on ARM to tell you if you can make it work any better than full-on cross-compilation since it's going to be 64-bit.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Informative and entertaining. You got multiple laughs out of me, so I assume the audience's silence was from awe at your sheer presence.

Thanks.

Audience was pretty sparse (was much more of a scala+kafka crowd, didn't get a lot of ears there) and without having listened to the recording, I'm guessing a directional microphone wouldn't help either.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I enjoyed Elixir In Action. Some sections in the print version regarding data structures are a little outdated, but the author keeps the sample code up to date on a GitHub.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any R gurus around these parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

jynn posted:

Any R gurus around these parts?

I would try the Scientific/Math(s) Computing: numerical/statistical analysis tools and CASs thread over at Ask / Tell › Science, Academics and Languages.

• Locked thread