Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

sassassin posted:

It was beastmen, and it was a damned close fight. If the minotaurs hadn't decided to chase my cavalry instead of wrecking my lines I would've been hosed.

Well Beastmen default stance has a chance for ambushes so they probably just saw you, initiated battle and got an ambush out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I figured, since that's what happened.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

So visually your dudes went "Well they aren't turning up let's all collectively form a line and go get some coffee OH gently caress"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Gives me more incentive to spend amber on the 'gently caress beastmen' technology.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Absolutely. I swear those fuckers could be standing on the border between "CHEAP NO CASH WOOD ELF REALM FULL OF TWIGS" and "GOLD EJACULATING DWARVEN HOLD OF HIGH PRODUCTIVITY" and decide to raid the loving twig-pile for 18 dumb goat dollars and a voucher that grants them ALL MY HATE.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Is it like a Known Thing that when Chaos invades, it beelines for the player? I'm playing the dwarfs, and I've got my hands full already with the vampires in my eastern mountains, and the leftover green skins and wood elves in the West. Now that chaos invaded, agents are just streaming through Black Fire Pass, 5 stacks of Beornings or whatever have decided to take a hike through the badlands to my core territories, completely ignoring the Border Princes and Barak Varr who are closer, and the Varg and proper chaos warriors are sniffing around my northernmost holds with another few stacks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sometimes chaos forgets to declare war on everyone so check that.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

The Bramble posted:

Is it like a Known Thing that when Chaos invades, it beelines for the player? I'm playing the dwarfs, and I've got my hands full already with the vampires in my eastern mountains, and the leftover green skins and wood elves in the West. Now that chaos invaded, agents are just streaming through Black Fire Pass, 5 stacks of Beornings or whatever have decided to take a hike through the badlands to my core territories, completely ignoring the Border Princes and Barak Varr who are closer, and the Varg and proper chaos warriors are sniffing around my northernmost holds with another few stacks.

My experience has always been that I've had to chase the forces of Chaos down to get them to fight. What's your strength rating compared to theirs and others in the overall rating? It might just be a general weakness they've identified or something like that which makes them go for your area. In my Wood Elf game in particular I had to lure them to their doom by having Orion spend some cash and troops seeding Altdorf, and when Archaon ran over going "OH BOY OH BOY" that's when the other stack I had sitting by sprang their ambush. I got a lot of great mileage out of ambush stance this game, I think I'm getting good at tricking the AI into thinking I'm having a moment of weakness and smacking them in the face for it.

The guys that turn up in the Badlands are a Chaos invasion specific thing designed to mess up your pots and pans and ensure you're not going to get an easy ride buffering your Dwarves or Greenskins behind a wall of the rest of the Old World.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sometimes chaos forgets to declare war on everyone so check that.

The first wave doesn't declare war on all, only when Archaon shows up they go full "gently caress everyone in this world"

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Chaos, so far as i can tell, mostly just goes for whatever is nearby. I've never noticed it driving straight for me, hell with the Dwarves i usually have to go drat well find them. Y'know, after i've conquered all the gods be damned badlands.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Blinks77 posted:

Chaos, so far as i can tell, mostly just goes for whatever is nearby. I've never noticed it driving straight for me, hell with the Dwarves i usually have to go drat well find them. Y'know, after i've conquered all the gods be damned badlands.

Seems to be a roll of the dice to me. I've had many grand campaigns where they've made a beeline for me, even when I was playing greenskins (by the time they got to me they were usually beat up, it was pretty underwhelming). It may have something to do with what your power ranking is when the chaos invasion spawns or something.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Do most modders who want to edit/add units use the community PFM tool, or the dedicated toolset from CA?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Soooo, I'm playing the Beastmen mini-campaign to get Boris unlocked, and then this happens:

That's some stellar trait triggers right there. :v:

...you know, I'm halfway tempted to turn this into a Donald Trump joke. Make the Drakwald Great Again!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Dandywalken posted:

Do most modders who want to edit/add units use the community PFM tool, or the dedicated toolset from CA?

Not a modder but there was a thread last week on one of these TW forums I read and modders were talking about how they use the CA toolset only for figuring stuff out and then not much at all.

There's a lot of blame being directed at CA for lovely modding/mod support but honestly I think the lion's share of that blame rests at GW's feet since CA has said they had to fight for modding support at all. loving GW, terrified that if someone modded in an AoS unit or End Times unit sales of their minis would drop to nothing or something.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Incidentally, CA has been putting out daily little images and stuff for Brettonia as part of their 12 days of Festag thing.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Twelve_Days_of_Festag_2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Magni posted:

Soooo, I'm playing the Beastmen mini-campaign to get Boris unlocked, and then this happens:

...you know, I'm halfway tempted to turn this into a Donald Trump joke. Make the Drakwald Great Again!

Mannish Thrall? Like Chris Christie?

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 17, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Magni posted:

Seems pretty appropriate that a politician would also have Nurgle's Foul Stink.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Has Naval Combat ever really worked well in any TW game, though?

Napoleon had good naval combat. The AI was bad at it but multiplayer was dank. The weather gauge was kind of unfair but what can you do? Wind isn't fair.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Durthu :eng99:. He just can't stop making terrible decisions that'll ruin us both. Kudos to CA for accurately modeling his description:

quote:

Now Durthu's benevolence is gone, replaced by an abiding madness. No longer is he a healer and teacher; he has taken up a sword and become solely a destroyer. He makes no distinction between the lost, the innocent and the wicked - all who tread Durthu's beloved glades without leave are doomed if the Elder happens upon them...

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
My main complaint about naval combat will always be how bad battle realism mode feels, especially during bad weather. Battles are quick enough once engagements start but it takes way too long to reach engagement when you have realistic sight in fog. It's fine on land, but on water it's just so bad.

fnordcircle posted:

Not a modder but there was a thread last week on one of these TW forums I read and modders were talking about how they use the CA toolset only for figuring stuff out and then not much at all.

There's a lot of blame being directed at CA for lovely modding/mod support but honestly I think the lion's share of that blame rests at GW's feet since CA has said they had to fight for modding support at all. loving GW, terrified that if someone modded in an AoS unit or End Times unit sales of their minis would drop to nothing or something.

Naw, their tools have always been as garbage as what we got. It's been basically the same since Shogun 2 just with new bugs every now and again.

Pros of the Official:
You need to use it if you're touching the startpos, it's the best tool for that
Some tables may not have their schema updated for PFM so you may need to use it to peek at stuff

Cons of the Official:
You have to manually move directories around to work on more than one mod or update more than one mod at a time
When it builds a mod it builds with everything in every table you touched, which makes for bad mod compatibility unless you open it in PFM and clean it up anyway
If you're touching other things outside of the DB you might need PFM anyway
I can't remember if the official tools rename the data__core automatically or if you still need PFM to do that--not that it matters too much in the end since you need PFM to clean stuff up anyway but it's just embarrassing for the official

Basically, you're using PFM but if you need to touch startpos you might also be using the official tools first.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So, is it still the case that single model units don't scale with the unit size setting in the Graphics options? What size was the game balanced around, in terms of costing and internal balance? Presumably multiplayer is locked at that?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So, is it still the case that single model units don't scale with the unit size setting in the Graphics options? What size was the game balanced around, in terms of costing and internal balance? Presumably multiplayer is locked at that?

Single Model units have scaling HP totals depending on unit size, otherwise no scaling. The game has always been balanced around Large size.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks.

Are there any unit types that are particularly cost efficient for auto resolve? Anything to avoid? I'm thinking about kitting out a baby VC lord to sack a garrison over and over while getting items and xp.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Thanks.

Are there any unit types that are particularly cost efficient for auto resolve? Anything to avoid? I'm thinking about kitting out a baby VC lord to sack a garrison over and over while getting items and xp.

If you're just sacking a garrison numbers are enough. Every time you sack a settlement its stuff loses development tiers which means less units over time. And you're probably attacking again while they're at half-strength.

At a certain point you just need the general. They could solo the stack even in auto without taking much damage and as a vampire you can just manual one every now and again to full-heal if they did somehow lose health.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

The Bramble posted:

Bjorling is the chaos faction that arrives by boat from the south, I only ever encountered them when I was consolidating the badlands with Grimgor and got really surprised. Varg being in your business is a lot more weird though, they usually don't make it that far unless the other factions are super weak and Chaos as a whole completely steamroll the empire factions.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The waystalker with the anti-beastman tech is just obscene.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Yep, mine killed all 4 Beastmen lords in the final oak battle just now.

I lost 29 dudes total, starting to think Welfs might be a bit too strong tbh!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Martout posted:

Yep, mine killed all 4 Beastmen lords in the final oak battle just now.

I lost 29 dudes total, starting to think Welfs might be a bit too strong tbh!

The craziest part is how durable Eternal Guard become with the right Lord and Tech.

With a maxed Call of the Woods Glade Lord who is Starlight Craftsman they can almost rival Iron breakers.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Xae posted:

The craziest part is how durable Eternal Guard become with the right Lord and Tech.

With a maxed Call of the Woods Glade Lord who is Starlight Craftsman they can almost rival Iron breakers.

Hmm... let's see.. 40 base armour, +40 from tech+Starlight Craftsman, and +12 from the skill, and you have 92 armour. That is fairly impressive. No idea about what their Melee attack and defence stats would be though, I don't' remember those.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The only bonus that doesn't apply to waywatchers here is starlight craftsman, so the eternal guard is at best good for just one lord. Otherwise, waywatchers does everything better.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Seems to be a roll of the dice to me. I've had many grand campaigns where they've made a beeline for me, even when I was playing greenskins (by the time they got to me they were usually beat up, it was pretty underwhelming). It may have something to do with what your power ranking is when the chaos invasion spawns or something.

wit the dwarves i basically ignored them and by the time i united all the badlands and dwarves to the west i attempted to settle the northern mountains only to find Brettonia and Estalia there raising all the nords to the ground after presumably wiping out the chaos invasion.

Brettonia had also taken over Stirland. they were in god mode basically.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Party In My Diapee posted:

The only bonus that doesn't apply to waywatchers here is starlight craftsman, so the eternal guard is at best good for just one lord. Otherwise, waywatchers does everything better.

I think you just confused EG and Glade Guard. RG are the "basic" spearmen, not the basic archers.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Any ideas for ways to boost the original Lords up to par with the newer? Im making a Codex Creep mod now, and have Grimgor giving Black Orc buffs via a passive "Da Immortulz" skill that buffs their Melee Defence.

Need ideas for the rest though! Totally drawing a blank on Azhag in particular :(

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Dandywalken posted:

Any ideas for ways to boost the original Lords up to par with the newer? Im making a Codex Creep mod now, and have Grimgor giving Black Orc buffs via a passive "Da Immortulz" skill that buffs their Melee Defence.

Need ideas for the rest though! Totally drawing a blank on Azhag in particular :(

Give azhag his quests earlier. He's not really much of a magic lord until he gets a poo poo load of levels. At least I think that's the problem, his is the only campaign I haven't tried nore than once since release. I just remember he felt like he took forever to get his good poo poo.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Honestly if you wanted to tempt me to play as azhag again he'd need the wyvern and spell casting on turn one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

madmac posted:

The newest "What we're working on" update from CA. Interesting that they're thinking about throwing out some historical DLC for older games as filler, it's kinda unprecedented from them.

Maybe they could do some engine optimization for Attila while they're at i-hahahahahahahaha who am I kidding?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wish caster legendaries like Gelt and that Necromancer dude had better versions of existing spells. I mean look at what they did with Rune lords; their three active runes are twice as effective as their runesmith counterparts.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I wish caster legendaries like Gelt and that Necromancer dude had better versions of existing spells. I mean look at what they did with Rune lords; their three active runes are twice as effective as their runesmith counterparts.

I wish non-VC caster heroes were good.

Melee fighters are just a pile of asskicking that is good for 2-3 units in combat in the early game.. The caster lords are pretty garbage. They should at least give them a ranged attack like the Dwarven Engineers and ranged Glade Lords get.

Xae fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 18, 2016

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
On the tabletop miscasts were dramatically more meaningful and reliability of casting was the primary differentiating factor between caster lords and heroes.

I can't wait to see how they handle slaan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Turn 41 on the campaign I started yesterday and the forest is 3/4 confederated, with 3/4 of Brettonia allied, and no one has declared war on Angrund to gently caress it all up.

Amazing the difference Durthu rampaging south(ish) instead of north made overall.

• Locked thread