Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Dr. Stab posted:

Isn't that exactly portal?

Bizarrely enough, Portal had spells you could play on your opponent's turn but they were Sorceries with text spelling out when you could play them (later erattaed to be Instants).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What's funny is that, as printed (and originally played), you can totally use your own Mystic Denial to counter your opponent's Mystic Denial and force your other spell through. Now you can't.

Also, you used to only be able to counter your opponent's spells.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I wasn't playing magic back then and smartphones didn't exist. So it's time to try it again.

It sucked

Except for the sick 11/11 Denizen of the Depp that my childe self would always try to play

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Another similarity between Portal and Hearthstone: Portal 2 had guns.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I can't remember if it was the guns in Portal or the mech suits in Urza's saga that MaRo hated more. What I do remember is that he said a whole lot of poo poo about how fantasy comes with expectations and that guns and mech suits had no place whatsoever in Magic

Then Kaladesh came along and suddenly it doesn't count because steampunk.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Steampunk is the worst punk genre out there. Cyberpunk or bust.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Literally every time someone paraphrases Maro my eyes glaze over because 90% chance they can't point to where he said it and 95% chance he said something only vaguely similar

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Allstone posted:

Literally every time someone paraphrases Maro my eyes glaze over because 90% chance they can't point to where he said it and 95% chance he said something only vaguely similar

Somebody is gonna go back and find the one quote in this thread that legitimately came from MaRo and post it and be like :masterstroke:

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Star Man posted:

Cyberpunk or bust.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Guys, you're forgetting this is WotC. Their answer to Smuggler's Copter is going to be...

R
Sorcery
Rare
Choose one or both-
Deal 3 damage to target creature.
Remove 3 loyalty counters from target Planeswalker.

"Wait, Vehicles stop being creatures at End of Turn?"

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Star Man posted:

Steampunk is the worst punk genre out there.

Uh, Dieselpunk would like a word with you.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Star Man posted:

Steampunk is the worst punk genre out there. Cyberpunk or bust.

Cyberpunk WAS awesome, until we actually started living in a cyberpunk dystopia......now it is just kind of boring

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I'm not sure whether seapunk or sportgoth is better.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ManMythLegend posted:

Uh, Dieselpunk would like a word with you.

Hey, it's not steampunk and that's good enough for me.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Allstone posted:

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean to act like a complete shitlord about it.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Veyrall posted:

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't mean to act like a complete shitlord about it.

Yeah that's fair actually tbh if it were me I would have baited myself into toxxing over it first bc I'm a gullible idiot so

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
well he didn't say 100% so

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Do lasers not count as guns or something because uh Star Wars exists.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Do lasers not count as guns or something because uh Star Wars exists.

Science fiction! :science:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Having space things doesn't make Star Wars not the epitome of a fantasy story.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TheKingofSprings posted:

Nothing says sci-fi like a white wizard showing a black knight the error of his ways

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
every single story is fantasy bc every single story is just a retread of The Epic of Gilgamesh

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wouldn't it be science fantasy? I mean it is literally about space wizards with space swords and space magic.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Uh guys?

Woodpunk.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Uh guys?

Woodpunk.

Star Man posted:

Hey, it's not steampunk and that's good enough for me.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Crust punk is the worst punk, IMO.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dang, it's a shame this costs approximately four times as much mana as would be playable, because this is a badass card.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Just beat someone in Vintage Cube by assembling a Kiki/Pestermite combo in game 3 with 2 minutes left on my clock. He loving sat there while I rushed to make enough tokens to kill him. Glad I was able to win without timing out but geez that was a dick move.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Just gonna remind everyone that Electrostatic Bolt exists already, and would be a solid answer to copter to reprint.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mikujin posted:

Just gonna remind everyone that Electrostatic Bolt exists already, and would be a solid answer to copter to reprint.

Man that would even be a slam dunk flavour fit too

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

Just beat someone in Vintage Cube by assembling a Kiki/Pestermite combo in game 3 with 2 minutes left on my clock. He loving sat there while I rushed to make enough tokens to kill him. Glad I was able to win without timing out but geez that was a dick move.

I've lost this exact way, I was down to a minute or less and my opponent timed me out while I desperately tried to make enough tokens. Feels bad.

I forced monored yesterday and finished all three league matches and went 3-0 in under an hour.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Wizards doesn't do reprints of good cards anymore, so they'd instead print that at 2cmc with art of chandra being dumb and some lovely flavor text.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Stoddard's Response

1U

Instant

Counter target spell or ability an opponent controls that would cause them to draw a card then discard a card. If an artifact's ability is countered that way, destroy that artifact.

Draw two cards.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

little munchkin posted:

Stoddard's Response

1U

Instant

Counter target spell or ability an opponent controls that would cause them to draw a card then discard a card. If an artifact's ability is countered that way, destroy that permanent.

Draw two cards.

Gonna be honest, seems a little narrow

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

little munchkin posted:

Stoddard's Response

1U

Instant

Counter target spell or ability an opponent controls that would cause them to draw a card then discard a card. If an artifact's ability is countered that way, destroy that artifact.

Draw two cards.

Get hosed Geier Reach Sanitarium.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They are really doing an hour pregame show for this? Christ.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Nothing would make me happier than a Jim Davis first round on camera loss

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

little munchkin posted:

Stoddard's Response

1U

Instant

Draw two cards.

Stoddard's Web

Artifact

When ~ etb draw a card.

Each artifact with an activated ability that isn't a mana ability doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

this 4c delver guy does not know how to play the sneak and show matchup. both TNN still in, kept a hand without a threat.

SCG please bring back more legacy opens

e: well actually idk, he did go through three cantrips and didn't find anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
A cool thing is to pay 7 to draw in response to your Griselbrand getting killed, while you're tapped out, putting yourself within dying range of any number of hasty threats you know your opponent has, and then he has one, and then your dead.

• Locked thread