Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

PU is Persistent Universe. What is PTU?

It's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

They're already on 2.6g. It was released yesterday:

1, They're still a couple big blockers that are not ready for prime-time. There's some sort of new system in place that checks obstructions in real-time and relays that to the radar. However, this is a glitch that is bogging-down some clients. I don't expect a live release (or PTU) tomorrow.
2. Ship sale with a possible new concept.
3. Clip from SQ42 demo that was previously unseen.
4. Jared WILL be there.
5. Some technical speak involving the new coding (such as obstruction/radar link) and new flight models that will be released with 2.6

Lol you are a fuckin idiot

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Moma was right though, Star Marine will be out before new year's

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cool new Polack jokes posted:

PU is Persistent Universe. What is PTU?

Player Test Universe. It's the semi-closed testing server for a select few (and people who pay $10 a month) for releases that aren't ready for the live server. Not to be confused with Evocati, the invite-only testing server where things go before they go to the PTU so that they can eventually go the live test server.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Yea its "out" right now. Looks like we got owned.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Player Test Universe. It's the semi-closed testing server for a select few (and people who pay $10 a month) for releases that aren't ready for the live server. Not to be confused with Evocati, the invite-only testing server where things go before they go to the PTU so that they can eventually go the live test server.

So, Scientology.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

Frankly, I don't think you could ever be so broken, but, no worries. We got your back, bro.

People don't start off broken like that. They start off slowly getting involved. They check things out, maybe getting excited about things, maybe adding a few extra dollars when something cool comes out, and over time what would be considered extreme at the beginning seems reasonable or even logical. Most people don't immediately spend thousands on the promise of a video game right away. When you're surrounded by people who also think it's normal it only enables further fanaticism.

I remember back in 2013 that I genuinely believed that we were looking at the next great game, that Goons would have a role to play as the Great Enemy and we'd have something that combined the scale of EVE with a game that's actually fun to play. I dreamed about taking a Caterpillar and filling it with smaller ships so that I had a miniature fleet I could lend out to Goons. I dreamed about the group finding a derelict Bengal carrier, repairing it, and then crashing it into the sun to spite the rest of the community. None of these dreams will ever come true, and I'm pretty sure that a major part of the reason that I finally accepted that reality (and demanded a refund) is because Goons who weren't immersed in the bullshit constantly provided criticism and an outside perspective.

I believe that folks like Erris aren't really all that different from me, they've just been immersed in a completely different culture that maintains the belief that CIG isn't full of poo poo. Of course their actions based on that immersion are still ridiculous (like pussying out after calling me a liar for the Sandi e-mails), and after all this time I have absolutely no sympathy for them whatsoever, but I can still see how I would have ended up like that. The scary part (for CIG) is that these people have the capacity to do far more damage than I ever did, and they'll feel even more justified in doing so.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I mean, let's be real here. It's the same model as Scientology.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
If this doesn't get me blocked, I'm doing it wrong.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/810127942042996736

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Got a link to both?

give me about 10 minutes

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm glad CIG gave the thread one last big cup of coffee before Christmas

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xaerael posted:

So, Scientology.

Yup. The only way to get more exposure to the "game" is to become more and more immersed in the culture that makes you think what's going on is acceptable and normal.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Like the PTU means anything.

AP posted:

I totally think they'll ship 2.6 this year to the PTU at least. I mean why not, the idiots still giving them money in 2016 will celebrate anything that looks like progress and it's a good excuse for a sale.

Also I think it's important to focus on the fact that Star Marine is poo poo and will remain poo poo because CIG will move on to loving up whatever the next big sale hype thing is.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 17, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Got a link to both?

Here's one

https://www.twitch.tv/relay_sc/v/107887729?t=01m16s

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
So apparently this 2.6 is a pale shadow of what it was supposed to be:

No Lobbies
No Leaderboards
No Loadouts
No Megamap (this was a Kickstarter stretch goal even though no-one knows what the gently caress it is)
Scanning gameplay mechanics aren't in
Missiles are broken
Flight model isn't final

And this is without all the stuff that was supposed to be in the original cancelled Star Marine, like "jukes", gagdets, gravity control, etc.

CIG always able to underwhelm even their already lowered expectations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/810119023895646210

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXMhwF4EtQ&t=88s

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

People don't start off broken like that. They start off slowly getting involved. They check things out, maybe getting excited about things, maybe adding a few extra dollars when something cool comes out, and over time what would be considered extreme at the beginning seems reasonable or even logical. Most people don't immediately spend thousands on the promise of a video game right away. When you're surrounded by people who also think it's normal it only enables further fanaticism.

I remember back in 2013 that I genuinely believed that we were looking at the next great game, that Goons would have a role to play as the Great Enemy and we'd have something that combined the scale of EVE with a game that's actually fun to play. I dreamed about taking a Caterpillar and filling it with smaller ships so that I had a miniature fleet I could lend out to Goons. I dreamed about the group finding a derelict Bengal carrier, repairing it, and then crashing it into the sun to spite the rest of the community. None of these dreams will ever come true, and I'm pretty sure that a major part of the reason that I finally accepted that reality (and demanded a refund) is because Goons who weren't immersed in the bullshit constantly provided criticism and an outside perspective.

I believe that folks like Erris aren't really all that different from me, they've just been immersed in a completely different culture that maintains the belief that CIG isn't full of poo poo. Of course their actions based on that immersion are still ridiculous (like pussying out after calling me a liar for the Sandi e-mails), and after all this time I have absolutely no sympathy for them whatsoever, but I can still see how I would have ended up like that. The scary part (for CIG) is that these people have the capacity to do far more damage than I ever did, and they'll feel even more justified in doing so.

Erris is an utter and complete moron though

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

and this one Beer
https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/107852817
I'm trying to find it, but no luck so far.
It was at the beginning and someone messed with the teleprompter.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Samizdata posted:

We aren't right all that often, but, when we are...

Yesterday was the day that we planted the Goon Flag right through CIG's chest and left it there. The only way to get that off is for them to release the game feature complete. And that is just not going to happen. So from now until then or when CIG closes its doors, CIG has to wear that. Even AJAX can't get that poo poo off of them.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

sorla78 posted:

ah - so they are not beating last year's record after all... who would have thought - pity.

Meanwhile, Chris and Sandi have raised their salaries to over $1m annually. Because that is what game startups pay as an industry standard.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

DapperDon posted:

Meanwhile, Chris and Sandi have raised their salaries to over $1m annually. Because that is what game startups pay as an industry standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WCFUGCOLLU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Got a link to both?

DapperDon posted:

Yesterday was the day that we planted the Goon Flag right through CIG's chest and left it there. The only way to get that off is for them to release the game feature complete. And that is just not going to happen. So from now until then or when CIG closes its doors, CIG has to wear that. Even AJAX can't get that poo poo off of them.

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/107852817?t=25m25s

and it's "who put holy crap in there? why?"

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Daztek posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/starcitizen/v/107852817?t=25m25s

and it's "who put holy crap in there? why?"

TY! I couldn't find it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

We should all be reminded that the release of every iteration of star citizen to the ptu is a chance, a great chance to benifit each and every one of us.

By actually having a true to form test bed with the awesome foundation of the issue council as a base to truly have one of the most highly polished games of all time. Each report, each contribution to a report someone else started is one more step in what I believe will be the most highly polished games ever realized.

As our hobby is dragged down by money hungry corporate overlords we have been presented with a diamond in the rough and it needs care and attention to reach its highest form.

I write this to inspire and remind everyone involved this is our time and our turn let's give it our best let's find the filthy bugs and hand them an rear end whooping they ain't never seen before please please please my brothers and sisters "Let's do this" and report or contribute everything we come across spend some time on the issue council and maybe find a bug you wanna get and try to reproduce it then contribute to the original.

You can do it, we can do it!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Most people don't immediately spend thousands on the promise of a video game right away. When you're surrounded by people who also think it's normal it only enables further fanaticism.
None of these dreams will ever come true, and I'm pretty sure that a major part of the reason that I finally accepted that reality (and demanded a refund) is because Goons who weren't immersed in the bullshit constantly provided criticism and an outside perspective.

The games thread was bad for a long time, I had to carefully choose my words and even then I'd get jumped on by idiots like Warcrimes just for saying something glaringly obvious. The GBS dobbie/Dayz thread was a lot better entertainment for me then, just because you could laugh at all the crazy poo poo happening like CIG selling a picture of a question mark for $150 in 2013.

We still have idiots in the thread now but at the least they've changed from "Star Citizen will be awesome, guaranteed " to "I'm really, really mad at Derek".

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

Warcrimes
Nice meltdown.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So MoMA is still MIA then? :grin:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

alphabettitouretti posted:

Why is clown stimperium smashing monitors?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Amazing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Nice meltdown.

Yeah, he was like the easiest person to wind up ever, even when I was trying not to cause drama.

What's the name of that website when you upload a photo of something and the site tries to identify objects in the photo? I want to ask it what the hell happened to Chris Robert's face.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

Yeah, he was like the easiest person to wind up ever, even when I was trying not to cause drama.
I think he was just trying to get a lot of people to buy in because if I recall correctly he made quite a bit of money "upgrading" LTI stuff to Goons.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lime Tonics posted:

archered probably

Jet Nipples 2: The Droopening

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:popeye:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I don't know who made this, but it's awesome :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UpYsOwlGY

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Erris is an utter and complete moron though

I talked with him a few times before things went to poo poo. He's not an idiot. He's just in a cult.

Yup, cracks are showing. At this point he probably thinks that this stuff is unacceptable and unprofessional but that CIG will turn things around if only the right people get the right feedback. For me it was the Cutlass and what it meant about how little effort CIG put towards piracy, boarding, and the kind of gameplay I wanted. For him it appears to be the lovely streams, lack of professionalism on the part of CIG, and general idiocy that comes from CIG's habitual and callous disregard for the community.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Oh man, what a ride
This is a very entertaining video game

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

ewe2 posted:

And as always, Derek Smart was right.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Lime Tonics posted:

archered probably

why are they hoofed though?

"Ungulates (pronounced /ˈʌŋɡjəleɪts/) are any members of a diverse group of primarily large mammals that includes odd-toed ungulates such as horses and rhinoceroses, and even-toed ungulates such as cattle, pigs, giraffes, camels, deer, and hippopotamuses. Most terrestrial ungulates use the tips of their toes, usually hoofed, to sustain their whole body weight while moving. The term means, roughly, "being hoofed" or "hoofed animal". As a descriptive term, "ungulate" normally excludes cetaceans (whales, dolphins, porpoises), as they do not possess most of the typical morphological characteristics of ungulates, but recent discoveries indicate that they are descended from early artiodactyls.[4] Ungulates are typically herbivorous (though some species are omnivorous, such as pigs), and many employ specialized gut bacteria to allow them to digest cellulose, as in the case of ruminants. They inhabit a wide range of habitats, from jungles, plains and rivers."

I guess they're extra-terrestrial :shrug:

his nibs fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 17, 2016