Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

I had just bought a car so I told him, "I just got a 3 year old Buick, why?"
He paused and told me I could go.

Who the gently caress under the age of 65 buys a Buick? Was it a champagne-colored LeSabre with faux wood trim, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So dumb question, but for OCS is it boxers or briefs? The packing list in the survival guide says briefs but recent graduates have been saying they dont care there.

Also anything people reccomend bringing? So far I have lots of socks and underwear, mess laundry bag, wristwatch, cash and clear nail polish.

Packing list says briefs, but nobody will give a gently caress. TBH, you will find briefs to be more comfortable based on the amount of time you will spend soaked in sweat, running around, and generally in awkward contorted positions. That is, unless you have those $40-per-pair boxer briefs that promise not to ride up. In which case, they will ride up, you will get mudd-butt, and you will end up throwing them away.

Just wear briefs while you're there.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

buttplug posted:

Who the gently caress under the age of 65 buys a Buick? Was it a champagne-colored LeSabre with faux wood trim, too?

Oh no, an inexpensive reliable and comfortable car how terrible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There's a (late twenties) guy at work with a black AWD Regal GS. It's a good looking enough car, even if it's hilariously gutless.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

buttplug posted:

Packing list says briefs, but nobody will give a gently caress. TBH, you will find briefs to be more comfortable based on the amount of time you will spend soaked in sweat, running around, and generally in awkward contorted positions. That is, unless you have those $40-per-pair boxer briefs that promise not to ride up. In which case, they will ride up, you will get mudd-butt, and you will end up throwing them away.

Just wear briefs while you're there.

Thanks for the advice, I got some briefs and your right, they are comfortable enough for what I need.

Also there are rumors my class at OCS might be a guinea pig class to try a ten week schedule on. I'm starting to wonder if thats the reason my class is huge and got so many non-age critical dudes in on it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I got some briefs and your right, they are comfortable enough for what I need.

New thread title please.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Thanks for the advice, I got some briefs and your right, they are comfortable enough for what I need.

Also there are rumors my class at OCS might be a guinea pig class to try a ten week schedule on. I'm starting to wonder if thats the reason my class is huge and got so many non-age critical dudes in on it.

Remember you can trade a box of mint floss (gum) for one pair of shoes shined.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Godholio posted:

New thread title please.

lol yeah it really captures the essence of so many of my experiences in the service

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Godholio posted:

New thread title please.

DownByTheWooter posted:

lol yeah it really captures the essence of so many of my experiences in the service

I've got no military experience or edjumacation, but I'm already inspring! :911:

LingcodKilla posted:

Remember you can trade a box of mint floss (gum) for one pair of shoes shined.

Why does that make me think of that prison economy video from the Onion?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I've got no military experience or edjumacation, but I'm already inspring! :911:

Why does that make me think of that prison economy video from the Onion?

Because it was?

No joke, qtips had actual value in boot.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

Because it was?

No joke, qtips had actual value in boot.

Qtips and floss hold value, good to know. Anything else i might want to stockpile/bring for trading?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Dignity

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Isnt he becoming a noble? I think they assign you those after the course.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

Isnt he becoming a noble? I think they assign you those after the course.

A noble you say...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Qtips and floss hold value, good to know. Anything else i might want to stockpile/bring for trading?

Don't really worry about that everything will get everything they absolutely need. Just focus on keeping your uniforms/rack squared away and yell as loud as you can when you're supposed to yell.

Be prepared to have gunny sergeants in your face screaming with regularity.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I was kidding for him. I was assuming they treat officers one step better with toiletries.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Just realize whatever challenge you face in OCS will be trumped by a 3AM phone call from your Chief informing you that Seaman Timmy was found passed out covered in poo poo, drunk as hell 4 states away with a trunk full of mexican fighting roosters and he's pretty sure the cartel wants to cut off his nuts for running off with them, and your not even stationed near mexico.

Actual story of poo poo you may deal with. Seaman Timmy buys a lovely car with cash, never bothers to transfer the title from the owner. Owner realizes this and demands the car back so he reports it as stolen, Seaman Timmy has no evidence of the sale because he didn't think he would need to keep any proof.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He's gonna be an NFO so he has a while before he has to worry about it. And what he's gonna have to deal with is seaperson smith raping a local/stabbing a cabbie while they're deployed to okinawa.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's gonna be an NFO so he has a while before he has to worry about it. And what he's gonna have to deal with is seaperson smith raping a local/stabbing a cabbie while they're deployed to okinawa.

Surprised the standard methods haven't made it into CACO training.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Well I just got off the ship after being underway for about a month. I'm not sure what was more confusing, tranny training or having an actual good experience with Navy medical.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Well I just got off the ship after being underway for about a month. I'm not sure what was more confusing, tranny training or having an actual good experience with Navy medical.

Civilian provider in an air force facility?

The one decent experience I had was at a place with a very small mil population and they referred everything out to the nearby university megahospital.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Laranzu posted:

Civilian provider in an air force facility?

The one decent experience I had was at a place with a very small mil population and they referred everything out to the nearby university megahospital.

Nah, shipboard medical. Tweaked my back working out and the physical therapist did a fantastic job fixing me up. Carrier life.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vulturesrow posted:

Nah, shipboard medical. Tweaked my back working out and the physical therapist did a fantastic job fixing me up. Carrier life.

So, you're what, O-4 these days?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Yup.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

Physical thera-whaaaaaaaaaaaaa

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Physical thera-whaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Exactly what I said.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
can't even hate honestly

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

vulturesrow posted:

Exactly what I said.

Brace for impact

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh no, an inexpensive reliable and comfortable car how terrible.

You're talking to someone who drives a Honda Civic.

Buicks are still for old fucks.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

I was kidding for him. I was assuming they treat officers one step better with toiletries.

Nope. We are told to bring all of our own toiletries. I was able to make a toiletry run I think once in about 3 months.

vulturesrow posted:

Exactly what I said.

When you in zone mang?

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2016/NAV16273.txt

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

buttplug posted:

Nope. We are told to bring all of our own toiletries. I was able to make a toiletry run I think once in about 3 months.

When you in zone mang?

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2016/NAV16273.txt

Wow. I had to beg for a large pair of nail clippers. They were generally off limits in case we tried to clip ourselves to death.
Some dude did fail to commit suicide with the draw strings of his sweat shirt so perhaps it's a valid point.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Wow. I had to beg for a large pair of nail clippers. They were generally off limits in case we tried to clip ourselves to death.
Some dude did fail to commit suicide with the draw strings of his sweat shirt so perhaps it's a valid point.

Well, we were given a very specific packing list. If you brought anything that wasn't on the packing list you could either throw it away or go put it in your car. Navy OCS is no cakewalk.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

buttplug posted:

When you in zone mang?

I'm a terminal O4.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vulturesrow posted:

I'm a terminal O4.

The best rank.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

The best rank.

It really is.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Back from the fire team leader field training. What I learned is Seabees should not be allowed to use weapons, among other things. I would need a dozen plus bullet points to hit all the low lights.

Think my patience for enlisted life is shot after a week of near misses, going to get that OCS pack done

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

Back from the fire team leader field training. What I learned is Seabees should not be allowed to use weapons, among other things. I would need a dozen plus bullet points to hit all the low lights.

Think my patience for enlisted life is shot after a week of near misses, going to get that OCS pack done

It is better to lead the stupid, useless masses, than to hide amongst them in deference to your astounding adequacy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Thursday night someone lost their NVGs and we were five minutes from full gear layout and going through the packed out trash before they turned up. Nine hours later another set were lost and we checked all assigned serials versus what was turned in, a 20 plus minute process. The GM assigned to the training put them in the wrong drawer and didn't check all of them before saying we lost them.

Retard parade is an unfair term to use because that would have more enthusiasm, organization, pride and motivation than this goatfuck

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

maffew buildings posted:

Thursday night someone lost their NVGs and we were five minutes from full gear layout and going through the packed out trash before they turned up. Nine hours later another set were lost and we checked all assigned serials versus what was turned in, a 20 plus minute process. The GM assigned to the training put them in the wrong drawer and didn't check all of them before saying we lost them.

Retard parade is an unfair term to use because that would have more enthusiasm, organization, pride and motivation than this goatfuck

Lol you enlisted with a degree for the seabees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In his defense, he has a degree in anthropology and they already have names for all of the spiders.

• Locked thread