Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That sucks, lol. What a pretentious game. Who even is it for? I spent ten bucks for somebody to ventilate their relationship baggage in a half-assed hiking sim

Now try Gone Home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I enjoyed Gone Home a lot more than Firewatch, I liked the story better and it spent a lot less time pretending to be something it wasn't.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

That sucks, lol. What a pretentious game. Who even is it for? I spent ten bucks for somebody to ventilate their relationship baggage in a half-assed hiking sim

I don't think indie walking sims are for you

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

morallyobjected posted:

this is not true in The Last of Us, but it is true of difficulties higher than "Hard" in most games

:yeah: :):hf::)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

8-Bit Scholar posted:

At least you didn't get a game breaking bug like I did. Watched the end on youtube. Firewatch is trash.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I tried to warn people! Sad to hear it's still having technical problems. I bought it launch day and the frame rate was atrocious. Not good for a game that looked so simplistic.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

I really liked firewatch. The story was great, the performances were amazing and it looked gorgeous when the frame rate did not dip.
I wasn't trying to shoot anybody so I did not see it as much of a problem.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the choices are meaningless. It's a walking sim, so the enjoyment was in the acting and the views for me, both of which were excellent.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

to me, all video games are pretentious walking sims AT BEST. filth. trash.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
check out my hot new indie FPS game Where Are All The NPCS Gone?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

check out my hot new indie FPS game Where Are All The NPCS Gone?

Note to self, pitch Ted Leo themed FPS.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont have anything against walking sims but i havent played one i really liked.

Journey comes the closest i guess. I love journey because it feels great to play. Why cant i explore my feelings about a dead wife or a gay sister in a cute epic coop platformer with much less mandatory reading?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Sounds like we have different interpretations of Mario.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

I dont have anything against walking sims but i havent played one i really liked.

Journey comes the closest i guess. I love journey because it feels great to play. Why cant i explore my feelings about a dead wife or a gay sister in a cute epic coop platformer with much less mandatory reading?

Journey is not a walking sim.

I'd not even say that Firewatch is a walking sim, but I would say that it's a massive red herring of a game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Papo y Yo is a cool feels game in this mold

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

In all seriousness, it would be incredibly difficult to portray what walking simulators want to convey as a platformer without dissonance between theme and mechanics or feeling pretentious. See: Braid

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Real hurthling! posted:

Ever play Brothers? Check it out, it's quit an interesting game for a lot of reasons.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Ever play Brothers? Check it out, it's quit an interesting game for a lot of reasons.

i did and i didn't like it. it felt like uncharted but with a bad control gimmick and paired down to only the unsatisfying climbing

i actually just beat it 2 weekends ago.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Indie games have been letting me down fairly consistently lately (except Steamworld Heist and Hyperlight Drifter) but maybe Headlander can turn that around...

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real hurthling! posted:

i did and i didn't like it. it felt like uncharted but with a bad control gimmick and paired down to only the unsatisfying climbing

i actually just beat it 2 weekends ago.

I don't think Brothers and Uncharted are similar at all, aside from being third-person and involving a lot of movement. It's fine you didn't like it, it's just a strange comparison to make imo.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Real hurthling! posted:

Fair enough, although I felt the opposite. I'd encourage anyone who has ever been slightly interested in the game to check it out.

At the very least the music is great.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Brothers is a game that I never quite got the praise for. I'm usually down for the art games that want to hit emotional themes over gameplay but the themes in Brothers felt really generic and I don't think it did a single thing I couldn't guess from just the concept of the game. It didn't help that the gameplay felt like it could have done something clever, it just didn't and was all extremely basic and straight forward. Like in terms of that type of game I'd put it way below something like The Unfinished Swan, which also missed the mark it's potential with both narrative and gameplay, but still did way more clever things with each.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I didn't realize Headlander even came out, did it turn out well? Half off on the store right now

Also been dithering on darkest dungeon but someone dissuaded me after giving me a good description but my addiction to Let it Die is wearing off and I'm looking for something similar (harrowing adventures where you can lose all your stuff) but beatable (I can't imagine the grind in darkest dungeon being worse than let it die)

Of course the moment I buy either of these they'll be the PS+ free game next month or so, I bought invisible inc when it went on sale then it was the PS+ game two months later

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Darkest Dungeon would work better if it didn't pull a really nasty gimmick on the titular Darkest Dungeon, which has made me wary about picking it back up again.

Headlander is tons of fun so far, very Metroidvania. It's simple, but the gimmick at its heart is pretty fun and I like the 70's aesthetic a lot.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Brothers is a game that I never quite got the praise for. I'm usually down for the art games that want to hit emotional themes over gameplay but the themes in Brothers felt really generic and I don't think it did a single thing I couldn't guess from just the concept of the game. It didn't help that the gameplay felt like it could have done something clever, it just didn't and was all extremely basic and straight forward. Like in terms of that type of game I'd put it way below something like The Unfinished Swan, which also missed the mark it's potential with both narrative and gameplay, but still did way more clever things with each.

You didn't think the ending qualified as doing something clever with the gameplay?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Eldred posted:

You didn't think the ending qualified as doing something clever with the gameplay?

That part is the only one I remember from the game. Of course, the porpuse of the rest of the game is to condition the player so they will know how to do that part.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That parts mildly clever but nothing mindblowing or that carries the rest of the game and like most of the aspects to f if the game it's a concept that is satisfied in itself enough that nothing is really done beyond it existing

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Lakbay posted:

I didn't realize Headlander even came out, did it turn out well? Half off on the store right now

I definitely recommend it if you like Metroidvania games, I had fun with it enough to get the platinum.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Week 3 of the sale is up, it kinda sucks unless you don't already have Bloodborne or you really wanted to get the Battlefront season pass for some reason.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

How bad of a decision is getting R6: Siege on PS4? $20 makes it tempting.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It's pretty good, is the $20 for the Gold edition? Really depends on how much you like tactical FPSs and if you have people to play with/join up with some goons from the Siege thread. I think I paid around $20 for it earlier this year and definitely felt like I got my money's worth.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oxenfree for $12 and Superbeat for $20 (if you like rhythm games and have a Vita) is good but otherwise yeah that sucks

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When the hell did half of these games even come out on the PS4? Ninja Pizza Girl? Reus? Toren? What the hell is this stuff?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Indie shovelware crap

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Two Shantae games are on sale and I hear good thingsd about them. I probably won't grab them but there you go.

I was thinking about getting Worms W.M.D. since my wife likes the Worms series. And Stardust Vanguards has always looked kind of interesting and that's less than a buck. I just own most of what I want to play, and it's sucked all the fun out of sales like these. I don't know what could go on sale that would get me real excited at this point

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Two Shantae games are on sale and I hear good thingsd about them. I probably won't grab them but there you go.

I was thinking about getting Worms W.M.D. since my wife likes the Worms series. And Stardust Vanguards has always looked kind of interesting and that's less than a buck. I just own most of what I want to play, and it's sucked all the fun out of sales like these. I don't know what could go on sale that would get me real excited at this point

Shantae is the best. Buy all the Shantaes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh Snapple! posted:

How bad of a decision is getting R6: Siege on PS4? $20 makes it tempting.

Siege is apparently the successor to Counterstrike G.O. in terms of dev mindset. It's a long term project that has gained in popularity since its messy launch.

There are goons that have said it's like CS meets The Last of Us: Factions, deliberate and very team oriented. It looks cool, but at this point I think I'd be jumping into too elite a community to have enough fun. Also, there's no way I could convince all my friends to buy it.

This guy has a cool longform review of it beyond the summer patches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMHfD1B78G0

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Wild Guns Reloaded is $30? Are they high???

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Is the new mirrors edge worth the 12 bucks

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also, if anyone has any coupons or whatever, wait until the weekend because there will almost certainly be a flash sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Is the new mirrors edge worth the 12 bucks

Probably. its a mediocre game but theres fun in it

• Locked thread