Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Trick Question posted:

Like, the weirdest thing to me is (that chapter spoilers) during the cutscene where they get to the place, they were all "hey we'll all catch up in the building!" and I was expecting, like, a cutscene or just a conversation between the three of them, but there's nothing there. That never happens. I actually wandered around for a while before realizing you were just supposed to leave after buying poo poo and picking up shinies or whatever. Yeah, there's the conversations with Talbot, but.

We see the conversation of them around the campfire, since it shows that scene after the ending. That chapter was a slam dunk for me, though I would've liked talking to an older Cindy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

We see the conversation of them around the campfire, since it shows that scene after the ending. That chapter was a slam dunk for me, though I would've liked talking to an older Cindy

Yeah, the road-trip stuff definitely felt like the emotional core of the game to me, and all the stuff they do with that at the end hit me hard. I guess I just misheard what they said as they were pulling into the place.

The political/"magical-chosen-king-guy" stuff less so. I really just can't give a poo poo about an esper, I guess. Or about a smug mysterious british rear end in a top hat. Should've stole that guy's car.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just got to the part where Ignis loses his eyesight. It's sad.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

bobjr posted:

I just got to the part where Ignis loses his eyesight. It's sad.

I really can't think of any other point in the FF series where they so effectively tug your heart strings, which is interesting because having a party member suffer a disability is actually kind of a series tradition, albeit not a strictly held on. Off the top of my head, though, Garnet in FFIX goes through a period where she cannot use summon magic, and FFVIII has Rinoa in a similar circumstance. It's done well in this game precisely because they tie it into the game through animations, rather than pure dialogue.

This game owes a lot to the quality and staging of its character animations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I really can't think of any other point in the FF series where they so effectively tug your heart strings, which is interesting because having a party member suffer a disability is actually kind of a series tradition, albeit not a strictly held on. Off the top of my head, though, Garnet in FFIX goes through a period where she cannot use summon magic, and FFVIII has Rinoa in a similar circumstance. It's done well in this game precisely because they tie it into the game through animations, rather than pure dialogue.

This game owes a lot to the quality and staging of its character animations.

FF7 has cloud turn into Terry schiavo for a while after getting dunked in the lifestream, and I guess you could say getting shanked through the gut was a disability of sorts for ol' Aeris.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Guess you guys were right about Costlemark. It'd be fine if the block maze wasn't just so slow

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Nina posted:

Guess you guys were right about Costlemark. It'd be fine if the block maze wasn't just so slow

I feel like I got outrageously lucky because I only hit the red giant room once, so it wasn't too slow overall. gently caress if I know what I did to accomplish that, though.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I just took on Costlemark at level 36 because I'm a masochist. The hardest parts were definitely the Galvanades who spawn bombs every time they explode and the Red Giant fights. Luckily this wasn't my first time through so I knew how to avoid too many Red Giants.

Funnily enough, I feel like this might've been a lot easier if I had the level cap item because then I might be able to afford the restorative items that I couldn't this time around because I was trying to avoid side quests. Nothing worse than having a full tech bar because you can't afford to waste phoenix downs on your allies.

But now I have all the optional Royal Arms and I can go on with my "low" level run.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Galvanades and their ilk are some of the hardest fights in the game and it's bizarre that random mobs are harder than most of the games' bosses. Like they gave me far more trouble than the Jabberwock did.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I'd be less inclined to hate them if they had the decency to actually DIE when the exploded but nope! They spawn more enemies AND stay alive. gently caress them.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

EXP bonuses stack right? I wanna be sure I'm not wearing double moogle charms and chugging down rice bowls for naught

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nina posted:

EXP bonuses stack right? I wanna be sure I'm not wearing double moogle charms and chugging down rice bowls for naught

I'd be surprised if it didn't as literally everything stacks. Ignis's Enchantment can stack 3 of the same elements on you, muscle stimulants and food buffs can stack, everything stacks.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Okay so Costlemark is actually bugged for me. I can only interact with one of the block mazes and get the same red giant fight over and over.

I'll freak out if this prevents me from getting platinum on the game

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Nina posted:

Okay so Costlemark is actually bugged for me. I can only interact with one of the block mazes and get the same red giant fight over and over.

I'll freak out if this prevents me from getting platinum on the game

Did you check all 4 corners of the big starting room? I don't think I lucked through it because I only had one block I could ride down each time (and it was different each time) and made it through to the boss after 3 rounds of 2 red giants and a bunch of flans. There are checkpoints in the dungeon, check your auto-saves, maybe you can reload one and not have to redo the entire dungeon?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's the same one every time. I left the dungeon to do other stuff so I don't have a save anymore

gently caress I might have to wait for ng+ update then

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Follow a video to the letter, just to be on the safe side, because there are multiple paths through some of those cube mazes, and only the right one opens up the next one.

Costlemark sucks

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

What level are you? You don't have to fight everything on the way down. If you have no need to explore then you can run right through, just heal between encounters from incidental damage.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Follow a video to the letter, just to be on the safe side, because there are multiple paths through some of those cube mazes, and only the right one opens up the next one.

Costlemark sucks

Is this the case? Whenever I moved a block I would check the other exposed blocks and only ever had one possible option.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 17, 2016

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

Costlemark sucks

I might as well try that before I lose hope.

Man FFXV I love you but sometimes you're designed like junk

Shoren posted:

What level are you? You don't have to fight everything on the way down. If you have no need to explore then you can run right through, just heal between encounters from incidental damage.

That's not the issue. I literally can't proceed past the room with the four block maze entries because only one of them allows me to activate it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nina posted:

I might as well try that before I lose hope.

Man FFXV I love you but sometimes you're designed like junk

I read a thing that said that if you get on a block puzzle that gives you two choices, always go East. That has always worked for me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nina posted:

That's not the issue. I literally can't proceed past the room with the four block maze entries because only one of them allows me to activate it
Same thing happened to me. I just went down it again and soon enough I ended up at the goal :shrug:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Nina posted:

It's the same one every time. I left the dungeon to do other stuff so I don't have a save anymore

So, this might be your problem. For my playthrough, in order to unlock the block puzzle, you have to find the one that works first, do that one, then WITHOUT LEAVING try the other blocks. My first playthrough it ended up saving them all as available even after leaving after I failed with all of the corners, but this second playthrough I left after going through the only available block and ended up having to do the same one all over again when I came back which was awful because the number of Red Giants doesn't reset.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

They really wanted to make sure summons are as powerful as they look. One summon of Ramuh and a red giant is vaporized. :stare:

The mechanics are pretty awkward but goddamn, summons have never been so satisfying.

:yeah:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty great that after ten years I still love Somnus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGPMijwlWYw
:allears:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Ah poo poo, Iggy's glasses and everything. :swoon: Prompto would be Millhouse if it weren't for Ralph existing.

Another great shot, P-money. :rolleyes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Chapter 13 took me about 2 hours. Some thoughts.

That was loving stupid to include stealth. Did anyone use it? I just deah ring magic'd and took the blows from the axe men. I couldn't be done fast enough and part of that was because I was on my 5th hour of play and thought "yeah it can't be that bad. I'll go ahead with it......."

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jebediah posted:

Chapter 13 took me about 2 hours. Some thoughts.

That was loving stupid to include stealth. Did anyone use it? I just deah ring magic'd and took the blows from the axe men. I couldn't be done fast enough and part of that was because I was on my 5th hour of play and thought "yeah it can't be that bad. I'll go ahead with it......."

I didn't stealth at all. I rather enjoyed Chapter 13. It was nice to have some downtime and some actual tension in the gameplay. The ring is an interesting weapon even though (because) it's so different than what came before. It's incredibly good if you're solid at dodging. The Holy counter does a lot of damage. And the big black hole attack is good for everything that isn't an MT soldier. Overall it was a cool chapter, IMO. Some creeping dread and a smattering of body horror were a nice change of pace.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bill NYSE posted:

Ah poo poo, Iggy's glasses and everything. :swoon: Prompto would be Millhouse if it weren't for Ralph existing.

Another great shot, P-money. :rolleyes:

Pick it for the final photo and stare reminiscent into some shrubs.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Besides Noct, their seating positions are entirely wrong :colbert:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Levantine posted:

I didn't stealth at all. I rather enjoyed Chapter 13. It was nice to have some downtime and some actual tension in the gameplay. The ring is an interesting weapon even though (because) it's so different than what came before. It's incredibly good if you're solid at dodging. The Holy counter does a lot of damage. And the big black hole attack is good for everything that isn't an MT soldier. Overall it was a cool chapter, IMO. Some creeping dread and a smattering of body horror were a nice change of pace.

Holy should definitely be your main damage dealer instead of Death. Even the spider ladies go down super fast if you hold down dodge and just run into their lightning orbs. I mainly just love it for being the "Hero down on their luck in the heart of the enemy domain" chapter. It's the Mordor of the game and being bleak makes it great

I stand by my opinion that it's a fine chapter. All it needs is sprinting to make it go faster. Although I do kinda wish they'd go for actually exploring the city instead of a bit bland facility. But maybe it would've been too similar to Insomnia a couple of chapters later.

Nina fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 17, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nina posted:

All it needs is sprinting to make it go faster.

Counter argument: Using Holy on the Axemen makes their arms fall off at 10% HP so they can't attack you any more but you still have to do their entire health bar of death to destroy them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You can just spam the instant kill in the chapter, I even saw it work on an Iron Giant.

it doesn't make it any more fun.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Actually I recommend using instant kill on that creature because it makes a really cool sound when it respawns. I'm talking about the one alone in the hangar to be clear.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Squallege posted:

It's pretty great that after ten years I still love Somnus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGPMijwlWYw
:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svio8JmW6mw

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qzZoyzGIQc

So what the hell happened here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I guessing that you just barely hit a spawn point and the game pulled the Aranea help RNG but you had already gotten out of the demon's range.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If a daemon spawned nearby that you almost aggroed, then she can show up randomly and help out.

If you glitch it out a bit, you can actually have her join the party semi-permanently.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

You can drag her into nighttime hunts if she shows up from a nearby daemon spawn. :getin:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terper posted:

If a daemon spawned nearby that you almost aggroed, then she can show up randomly and help out.

If you glitch it out a bit, you can actually have her join the party semi-permanently.

I need to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So here's something I wish I'd known before - hunts can be reported in to any tipster, not just the one you took the hunt from. Whoops.

• Locked thread