Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

decypher posted:

https://osxfuse.github.io or NTFS-3G

I use OSXFUSE and it's been ok.

It doesn't look like this auto mounts\ auto configs? After installing OSXFUSE, I have no option to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

DigitalRaven posted:

Except that estimate has always been total bullshit on Skylake processors.

So fix it, or remove it only for skylake & newer, it's always been accurate on my Late 2013 Macbook.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Is it possible to use Office 365's Outlook with iCloud calendar? A google search suggests it's possible but dumb. I like Outlook on iOS (and iCloud calendar works fine there) but it doesn't seem to work with the macOS version of Outlook.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lol internet. posted:

It doesn't look like this auto mounts\ auto configs? After installing OSXFUSE, I have no option to write.

You need to install ntfs-3g, set up the mount point yourself for r+w, and then configure automount yourself (but I recommend not doing this as it's a security risk). Instructions are all online.

OSXFUSE just lets you run file system drivers in usermode. It's a framework and a kernel extension to facilitate this, it doesn't do anything by itself.

https://github.com/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/NTFS-3G

Pivo fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 15, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zwille posted:

Is it possible to use Office 365's Outlook with iCloud calendar? A google search suggests it's possible but dumb. I like Outlook on iOS (and iCloud calendar works fine there) but it doesn't seem to work with the macOS version of Outlook.

iCloud calendar just uses IMAP I think, did you do this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2648915

?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Last Chance posted:

iCloud calendar just uses IMAP I think, did you do this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2648915

?

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. However, the article clarifies that Outlook Mac doesn't support iCloud calendar so thanks for that link anyway! :)

Pity.

quote:

Outlook for Mac does not support Apple iCloud calendar (CalDAV) and contact (CardDAV) synchronization.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zwille posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. However, the article clarifies that Outlook Mac doesn't support iCloud calendar so thanks for that link anyway! :)

Pity.

ah bummer, my bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of Calendar, 10.12.2 completely hosed my Exchange sync with my org's exchange server. Actually that's not entirely true. It's not just syncing to Exchange's calendar, it's actually adding or enabling the Exchange calendar period.

I can delete my Exchange account from "Internet Accounts" and everything disappears as expected. When I go to re-add it (and verify that Exchange calendars are ticked) there's no indication that anything Exchange related has been added to Calendar.app.

Deleted everything in ~/Library/Calendars just to start from scratch (Exchange is the only thing I care about anyway) and no dice.

Submitted bug report but man this is inconvenient, especially since it works fine on my MBA and just seems to be broken on my iMac :\

I had to install the Fantastical2 trial just to get access to my calendar.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if this is an osx/ios issue or a gmail issue, but some messages in gmail aren't showing up in Mail on my mac or iPhone. I happened to check my mail using Safari and noticed that I had 3 messages (2 from Rite-Aid, one from Bing) that were in the Promotions tab in gmail but weren't showing up on the laptop or phone. These were obviously not important emails (I thought I'd unsubscribed from both of those a while ago) but now I'm worried that important stuff may have just not been showing up on my devices. Anyone else encountered this?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Are they going to Junk by any chance?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Nope, they just don't show up. I actually got another one a minute ago regarding my newspaper subscription, so this is definitely worrisome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any way to get Mail.app to open straight into the main window when clicking an macOS notification? Instead of opening into a single mail view?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
So which one is the proest of the Safari ad blockers these days?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Xabi posted:

So which one is the proest of the Safari ad blockers these days?

Apparently ublock-origin got a safari port recently

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just a quick question - my Retina MBP is currently on macOS Sierra 10.12.1. There was an update to 10.12.2 a couple days ago - was that only for newer Macs? I just want to know if I somehow broke my updates when I had to manually install that last software update...

EDIT: Nevermind it came in after I installed iTunes and rebooted. :shrug:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 17, 2016

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
So I've been playing with my new MBP and Azure, and followed this guide for funsies:

http://lg.io/2016/10/12/cloudy-gamer-playing-overwatch-on-azures-new-monster-gpu-instances.html

It's uhh... incredible. And a little bit hilarious. Steam "in-home" Streaming is really impressive technology, the latest update has much better 4k support and a 50mbit bandwidth option.

See, you can game on a Mac! With ~50ms of added latency and at the low price of $2.70/hr which really adds up fast, like the bad old AOL days.

Edit: GTA5 screenshot I took from the Steam Streaming client while tinkering: http://i.cubeupload.com/frEpZR.jpg

pzy fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 17, 2016

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What's the best photoshop alternative for macOS? The main choices all seem to be $30~$40 (Affinity, Pixelmator and Acorn), is there anything that makes one of those better than the rest?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
ive only ever used pixelmator but it suits my needs and goes on sale regularly

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Oops, not the HW thread

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I too am happy with Pixelmator, but I haven't tried the others. It occasionally goes on sale as well. I picked it up for $15.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

ive only ever used pixelmator but it suits my needs and goes on sale regularly

I've been using Affinity lately and actually prefer it to Pixelmater. However, that's personal preference, and both are decent Photoshop replacements.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There's always The GIMP, if you're a masochist.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Is there any way to stop AirMail 3 from creating its own categories? I deleted them only to have them re-appear seconds later.

Is it too much to ask to group Gmail my own way?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

gmq posted:

The idea of the Google Home and the Amazon Echo intrigue me but not enough to buy them sight unseen. Is there anything like them for macOS? I keep my computer on all day anyway.
(Don't say Siri, it lacks the "voice-activated" thing)

Home Assistant is open-source and has some bare-bones voice command support built in. Right now it can only turn other things configured in HA on/off but you could contribute more functionality if you want.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

EconOutlines posted:

Is there any way to stop AirMail 3 from creating its own categories? I deleted them only to have them re-appear seconds later.

Is it too much to ask to group Gmail my own way?

Nope. That's kind of Airmail's thing and there's no way to stop it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

gmq posted:

What's the best photoshop alternative for macOS? The main choices all seem to be $30~$40 (Affinity, Pixelmator and Acorn), is there anything that makes one of those better than the rest?

I usually recommend pixlr, which is a free webapp, over GIMP. It seems to do most of the lower functions of Photoshop and some higher ones than Preview.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I recommend Gimp to people I hate and want to drive to suicide

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I tried all Acorn, Pixelmator, and Affinity yesterday, mainly interested in RAW processing and particularly noise reduction. Affinity seemed to take the crown on this front, but when I really had to dial it up on dark spots, the effect just seemed to fail. I could zoom out of the image and it would process the noise reduction, and then immediately revert to the original. I guess I'll keep doofing with the demo to see if I can figure out what's going wrong.

I was a Photoshop junkie for a real long time; Affinity is probably the closest thing cosmetically.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

enojy posted:

mainly interested in RAW processing and particularly noise reduction
Iridient is fantastic for RAW conversion and Nik does quality noise reduction for free but I'm not sure if there's any way to use it standalone or if it's only an Adobe plugin.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is there a better tool than SteerMouse for disabling mouse acceleration in sierra? I tried USB Overdrive but I can't seem to get sensitivity high enough if I turn acceleration off. SteerMouse exhibits the same lack of precision; turning accel off and setting sensitivity to 1950 makes the mouse barely usable. All I want for Christmas is no acceleration and a decent level of sensitivity adjustment.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 19, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Try ControllerMate. I can't say for sure whether it will do what you want, but it's amazing so maybe.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Every now and then messages.app is causing a massive battery drain on my 2015 15" rMBP, which is reducing the battery life a lot. I can't reproduce the problem, but it happens often enough that it's annoying. Any idea what might cause this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Check the Console?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Gaming question

Assuming a sufficiently fast LAN, is there a reason why building a (Windows) gaming computer, stuffing it somewhere, and then using remote access or steam streaming wouldn't be a viable option with a MBP?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has 10.12.2 totally slowed down Remote Screen Sharing for anyone else? I'm connecting to a MBP 2012 beside me (running 10.12.2) from a 15" rMBP 2013 (running 10.12.1) and the screen sharing is REALLY laggy compared how it used to be when both were on 10.12.2

I'm not updating the rMBP just yet as I'm in the middle of an edit and don't want to take any risks there so just wondering if anyone else had run into that issue?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Are you sure your network is properly set up as in the network settings are identical?

I use a laptop running El Capitan to access another Mac running 10.12.2 regularly and I haven't seen any issues, though I'm using Apple Remote Desktop, which is a paid app that does the same thing as Screen Sharing, albeit over an encrypted connection.

Once I was helping someone who couldn't stream video well from his laptop running EC to an AppleTV fourth generation, the video kept skipping and staggering; traced it to a lovely Netgear router; replaced it with a current AEBS, poof, video became smooth. Dunno if that helps.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

Gaming question

Assuming a sufficiently fast LAN, is there a reason why building a (Windows) gaming computer, stuffing it somewhere, and then using remote access or steam streaming wouldn't be a viable option with a MBP?

RDP would not work well, if at all.

Steam streaming is an option. I haven't tried on the rMBP, but I have a Steam Link attached to my TV and it works very well. Gaming rig is connected from the other side of the house using 802.11ac and the SteamLink is on the Gbit wired network I have in the house.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I stream with Steam from a miniITX gaming PC stuff into a cabinet under my desk to my MBP and MacBook all the time. Works like a champ, and keeps the GF happy 'cause I'm sitting with her versus in my office.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 19, 2016

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Are you sure your network is properly set up as in the network settings are identical?

I use a laptop running El Capitan to access another Mac running 10.12.2 regularly and I haven't seen any issues, though I'm using Apple Remote Desktop, which is a paid app that does the same thing as Screen Sharing, albeit over an encrypted connection.

Once I was helping someone who couldn't stream video well from his laptop running EC to an AppleTV fourth generation, the video kept skipping and staggering; traced it to a lovely Netgear router; replaced it with a current AEBS, poof, video became smooth. Dunno if that helps.

Yeah it was working fine a few days ago before I upgraded to 10.12.2 on the MBP. could have just been a short term thing? I'll check again later, thanks for the advice !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Gaming question

I do it all the time with my 2014 rMBP from my gaming desktop..

If both machines are on wireless, you should make sure they are both on 802.11AC wireless. Steam streaming at 1080p 60fps needs at least 20Mbit continuous bandwidth; 2.4Ghz networks may not be able to deliver that reliably. It will also murder your battery life.. I get at most 3 hours during some Cities:Skylines sessions. (there is a OSX version of this game, but it performs much better over Steam streaming)