Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
"Speed traps" are not a bad thing, they are traffic cops doing their job. Speeding is something everybody does, but if you get caught you don't have a right to whine about it. It's not hard to drive at the speed limit. If you want to never get a ticket, just stay out of the fast lane and do the speed limit. If you do get caught, just consider it a add-on fee to your drivers license that allows you to go fast - 99% of the time you speed you aren't going to get pulled over, so when you do don't give the guy a hard time, just acknowledge it's your turn to pay your dues.

There is never an excuse to drive significantly under the speed limit though aside from traffic jams or very severe weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

docbeard posted:

I have a whole litany of peeves about public transit/peoples' behavior on same

Same here.

- Idiots opening the window right next to them even though they can't possibly feel the airflow especially in winter. The people 4 rows behind thank you for the pneumonia you bastards.

- Extremely fat people trying to sit next to me when there are pairs of empty seats. Even if there weren't they could at least try sitting next to someone who doesn't have a ton of shopping.

- Complete fucktards standing at the front of a crowded bus and not moving back when more people board. The driver should not have to turn around 5 times and tell you to get back. FFS even wild animals can organise themselves better than this.

cyberia posted:

I have no problem with Christmas but Christmas carols can gently caress right off. I don't need to hear them in every shop, taxi, restaurant, and office I walk into from December 1st onwards.

Indeed. I don't like music in the street or shops anyway. It always drowns out what I'm listening to myself. I need some IEM earphones.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

In the theme of public transport stuff:

People who try to board before people exit the tram/bus. I don't care if you're an old woman in a walker, you're getting shouldered to the side/stiffarmed. If I let you on it will trigger a deluge of people coming on and i'll never get off. Read the thing on the door that says first exit, then enter.

I also share Death Zebra's annoyance of people who sit directly next to you or directly behind you on relatively empty trams. Go away.

People who try and cram themselves into a completely over capacity bus when another one is coming in 2 minutes. There is literally no room for the doors to close unless we all lift you over our heads, just wait, if you're in that big of a rush it's your own fault.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
To be fair on the IT helpdesk thing, there's also always the chance that the customer may be lying to try to speed things up, like saying "Oh, of course I've tried rebooting it" while knowing that they couldn't be bothered because the computer is slow to boot up, even if there is a 90% chance the reboot would have done the job.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

yo rear end is grass posted:

I am tired of people I know taking life too seriously.
Every time I talk to someone, they immediately jump into how things are so stressful for them, how crappy their day was, etc.
God drat it, take a hit or drink a beer or something. Calm down, this is the only life you have. Enjoy it.
I have a genetic heart disorder, pretty much guaranteeing that I'll have a heart attack by the time I'm 40, yet most of these people are going to give themselves one before me.
I want to tell them to go out for a walk in the snow. Talk to a homeless man. Close their eyes and listen to some music. I want to, but from past experience I know that they will just say how they have no time to do that poo poo, while continuing to slowly kill themselves.
It just makes me sad.

Related to this, but I find that if you have actual, serious problems (like health problems) you generally don't enjoy talking about them. From my own experience, if you have a desire to talk a bunch about your issues with others, it sort of implies that you also have some hope that things might improve (i.e. you're telling others because, on some level, you feel like they can give you something that will make you feel better, whether that something is attention or socializing or whatever). If a situation is truly hopeless, all you can really do is try and not to think about it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Literally every refurb I've gotten from Amazon has been poo poo and they will fight you to the death on the few refurb items they offer a return policy on.

"This laptop doesn't work."

"Okay sir I am glad to help you today with this concern about your laptop not working. Now I will help you with steps to try to determine the problem"

"No, really, it just doesn't work and I need to send it back. I plugged it in--and before you ask--I've already ruled out problems with the outlet."

"Okay sir so you plug in the computer to the wall and what happens?"

"Nothing."

"Okay sir so have you tried a different outlet?"

:shepicide:

not to poo poo on your peeve, but this usually isn't the choice of the person helping you. I used to work tech support for a call center and we'd get disciplined/docked for not following the script exactly- and yes, usually it was 20 million iterations of "do you have it plugged in"

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Related to this, but I find that if you have actual, serious problems (like health problems) you generally don't enjoy talking about them. From my own experience, if you have a desire to talk a bunch about your issues with others, it sort of implies that you also have some hope that things might improve (i.e. you're telling others because, on some level, you feel like they can give you something that will make you feel better, whether that something is attention or socializing or whatever). If a situation is truly hopeless, all you can really do is try and not to think about it.
This is definitely true with me. People ask what's wrong but I either say I don't want to talk about it or tell them about lesser problems. I feel like I'm just a burden and off-putting if I tell them about my worst problems they can't help me with anyway.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Pretty much, yeah. No, I do not want to discuss my alphabet soup of hosed up genetics with you. It'll only bum you and me out and I don't want to hear for the 13 trillionth time about doing yoga to solve my genetic issues.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Are black boxes a thing in America? The cheapest kind of car insurance here in the UK usually involves having to have one installed into your car and it basically monitors your speed and how hard you break etc. If you have one, you pretty much can't break the speed limit.

I passed my test so this isn't an issue any more, but I never got it off my chest so: gently caress people who tailgate learner drivers as though they're going to go over the speed limit with their instructor /right there/

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A bit of a meta example: when people in this thread talk about traffic-based peeves. I know these are painful to experience and relateable to a lot of people, I don't want to begrudge people talking about these things, but as someone who doesn't, can't and won't drive those posts are impenetrable. They're all really complicated, some of them need diagrams, and as someone who has no reference point the stories just... don't work.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I hate it when you're just about to get up and leave a room, and someone else comes in and sits down to chill out with you, because now you look like an avoidant rear end in a top hat if you leave.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If I'm the only person on the road I drive the speed limit, but if there are a bunch of other cars going 10 over I will go 10 over as well to move with the flow of traffic. :smug:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

car horns 👏 are not 👏 doorbells 👏

photinus
Apr 27, 2008
Twice in the past two weeks I've witnessed men having bus-related tantrums. One guy was fiddling with his phone so much that he missed his bus, swore very loudly and kicked the bus shelter, which scared the poo poo out of me because I was sitting in it (and the sound of someone kicking a bus shelter is incredibly loud). Then he got on the next bus and asked the driver "How do I make a complaint? The previous bus driver ignored me..."

You got ignored because you didn't put your hand out until the bus was speeding past. Don't blame the bus company for your abject failure to pay attention to, you know, the double-decker bus-sized object coming down the road. Also, don't damage public property and don't lose your temper because you weren't paying attention.

Then today I heard one of those blustery "I KNOW MY RIGHTS" guys harangue a bus driver because the driver didn't stop at a bus stop that the bus wasn't supposed to stop at. It's a limited stop bus - it's fast because it doesn't stop to let passengers off until a certain point. This is written at every bus stop you actually catch this bus at. This bloke went on for ages. "Give me your name. I get on the bus every day and I KNOW it's supposed to stop there. I will be writing a very strongly worded letter blah blah blah..." The bus driver eventually let him off - I guess he couldn't put up with this guy's poo poo any more. I certainly couldn't - I was listening to my iPod and I could hear this festering chancre bleat on and lie his head off.

Actually, I guess my pet peeve is people who simply can't admit they're wrong and would rather lie, throw a temper tantrum and get other people into trouble than ever apologise. gently caress's sake, most of us learned how to read instructions and say sorry in primary school - and also that people generally don't like liars and tantrum-throwers, and respect people who can admit they make mistakes, for that matter. Why do some people just... bypass this?

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I hate it when you're just about to get up and leave a room, and someone else comes in and sits down to chill out with you, because now you look like an avoidant rear end in a top hat if you leave.

Yeah, this happens to me sometimes when I'm eating lunch at work and I'm about done and ready to go back, then someone I vaguely know sees me and sits down with me to shoot the poo poo. Now I gotta be there for like 10 to 15 more minutes sometimes. :mad:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The Snoo posted:

I think I posted about this before and got my head torn off for not being out waiting for the person to arrive. Same with text messages not being doorbells.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I just drive my car into the house like any sane person. There's really no better way of letting someone know you're there, with the added bonus of them not having to go too far to get in!

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think I posted about this before and got my head torn off for not being out waiting for the person to arrive. Same with text messages not being doorbells.

Ok I get the problem with horns but why are text messages so offensive?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

dordreff posted:

Ok I get the problem with horns but why are text messages so offensive?

It's only offensive in the "too lazy to get up and walk 10 meters to knock on the door" sense.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Also a "we are a couple of blocks away!!" message for you to go wait by the door means they will arrive around an hour later.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I guess it depends on the situation but my road is a bitch for parking and if I'm expecting a lift at a certain time then I'm ready to go out the door, so it's quicker for everyone if they just call me briefly and I go out, get in and get the gently caress out of there.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I think the "text messages are rude, get out and knock" rule, if it exists, should be waived during the winter. I don't expect my friends to have to stop their car and get out and walk around in the cold just to knock on my door for the sole purpose of alerting me that it's time to leave my house. I don't get the point of that particular etiquette concept at all, actually, because I don't see why my friends should have to inconvenience themselves for literally no reason, but especially in the winter

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
You shouldn't step out of your car and leave it running in the road. I'm so glad mobile phones have cut down on using the horn.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There are some hypotheticals where using a phone to get the person to come out is fine, but I was speaking of the more standard pulling into the driveway situation. If people were on time all the time then yeah you, as the passenger, should be out and ready to go at the designated time, but nobody I know is ever on time. Especially if you're not in a rush, will it kill you to turn your car off for a minute and come to the door?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Honking for someone to come out of the house is obnoxious as hell. Text messages are fine though.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

tbh upon thinking it over I think my anxiety disorder plays into this, because if I get a text message from a friend I know it is from a friend, whereas if there is knocking at my door it might be that crazy rear end in a top hat from across the street who sometimes stands in the road screaming "i'm going to kill you" at people for an hour and a half, or the literal Nazi who lives next door -- those two possibilities are slim, but like I said, anxiety disorder :shrug: anyway I'm cool with text messages I don't see what benefit I'd get from making anybody get out of their car

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

There are some hypotheticals where using a phone to get the person to come out is fine, but I was speaking of the more standard pulling into the driveway situation. If people were on time all the time then yeah you, as the passenger, should be out and ready to go at the designated time, but nobody I know is ever on time. Especially if you're not in a rush, will it kill you to turn your car off for a minute and come to the door?

Why do they need to bother coming to the door when it's quicker and easier to just send a quick "hey i'm here" text? Getting out to knock is completely wasted effort.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Plus they can chill in their car and I can be in parts of the house where I might not hear them knocking.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Do you people never invite people in to have some coffee or something before heading out? What if my phone is on silent? What if it's on a table and I don't hear it vibrate? What do you think people did before cellphones existed? It isn't some herculean task to walk 20 feet and push a doorbell button. Especially with people who are chronically running late, I'd much rather sit on their couch and wait instead of just sit passive aggressively in my car.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

pet peeve: having to live next door to a Nazi

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

For a long time, I had a phone that would take five minutes to an hour to receive a text message. It was terribly inconvenient, although I guess that kind of thing is probably getting less common.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Do you people never invite people in to have some coffee or something before heading out? What if my phone is on silent? What if it's on a table and I don't hear it vibrate? What do you think people did before cellphones existed? It isn't some herculean task to walk 20 feet and push a doorbell button. Especially with people who are chronically running late, I'd much rather sit on their couch and wait instead of just sit passive aggressively in my car.

It's not like you're super weird or anything for wanting to chill for a while before heading out, but generally if I make plans to pick somebody up and go do something I don't plan to arrive 20 minutes early so we can have coffee or whatever. I'm going to arrive when we agreed on and hopefully get to our planned destination at the time everybody else agreed on. There's not usually room for lets just gently caress around for a while. That's what you do when you take somebody home.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why is it that copying files is still such a pain in the arse? Why can't we have a file copy system that looks at all the files to be copied, detects any conflicts, and then (while copying non-conflicting files in the background) asks you all at once what you want to do about them? Why do I have to sit here watching it, in case it gets three minutes into an hour-long copying process and just stops everything to ask me what to do with one file? And then keep watching it in case the same thing happens again ten minutes later. How has no one solved this?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum posted:

Why is it that copying files is still such a pain in the arse? Why can't we have a file copy system that looks at all the files to be copied, detects any conflicts, and then (while copying non-conflicting files in the background) asks you all at once what you want to do about them? Why do I have to sit here watching it, in case it gets three minutes into an hour-long copying process and just stops everything to ask me what to do with one file? And then keep watching it in case the same thing happens again ten minutes later. How has no one solved this?

Windows 10 actually sort of almost does this, but it waits until the end to ask you what to do with all the conflicts, and they're presented in a list that gets kind of cumbersome for more than a few files. I wouldn't mind the option to do it the old way when I'm sitting at my computer and expecting a lot of conflicts.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I've used Teracopy for years, it pretty much does what you want if you're not on Win10. It's free and can be configured as a standalone utility or replaces Windows' file transfer dialogue.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

I've used Teracopy for years, it pretty much does what you want if you're not on Win10. It's free and can be configured as a standalone utility or replaces Windows' file transfer dialogue.

I use Linux Mint as my main OS, but that does seem like a good thing if you use Windows.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

THe gently caress is wrong with you people?

If it's a regular carpool, you should be ready and expecting to leave, so have your damned phone on, and be looking out the window regularly

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

The Snoo posted:

This morning at 6AM someone laid on their horn for a good 5 minutes straight. The horn gave out a couple times, but only for a millisecond. Guess his arms got tired and needed a break? This excessive honking happens on occasion around here, and it's always annoying. It's not like the guy who ran in the building can hear you anyways. Every time I look out the window it's about morons who don't know how to double park. Learn to double park, idiot. Or if you have a giant car, maybe don't try to poorly double park on a tiny rear end street. Or don't get a giant car when you live in the city. All are good options.

Phyzzle posted:

You shouldn't step out of your car and leave it running in the road. I'm so glad mobile phones have cut down on using the horn.

Why would you leave it running? There's a thing called an ignition. And don't say "it's bad for the engine."

dordreff posted:

Why do they need to bother coming to the door when it's quicker and easier to just send a quick "hey i'm here" text? Getting out to knock is completely wasted effort.

Walking *huff* is *huff* such *huff* effort *eats cheetos*

Tiggum posted:

Mac has been doing this for like, over 10 years

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Dec 20, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

THe gently caress is wrong with you people?

If it's a regular carpool, you should be ready and expecting to leave, so have your damned phone on, and be looking out the window regularly

Like I said in the post you quoted, I'm not going to camp by the window if you are always late, which people are more often than not. Obviously you check if they are there at the time they said they would be and maybe another time 5 minutes after, but beyond that it's on you. There are better things I could be doing than stare out a window wondering if you're going to be 10 minutes or 1 hour late this time. The "I'm here, come out" text while you idle in my driveway just seems impersonal to me like you're embarrassed to be seen in the neighborhood or something. At the very least send a text saying you'll be late and it solves the whole problem, but nobody ever does.

Anyway, re: the above post - I never realized there was a "right" way to double park. It seems like it would always block someone in and it would probably annoy me incredibly if I was the stuck one. The horn blasting is just impotent rage though, they'd learn their lesson more if you just called to have it towed, assuming it's not legal where you live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Unsolicited calls/knocks are almost always bad outside of emergencies, just text or email. Getting a knock when you're on the shitter or something loving blows, just text. And if someone is about to pick you up why the gently caress wouldn't you have your phone handy? It's so much nicer to say "k be out in a minute" rather than stumbling into the hall with your pants down screeching "HOLD ON JUST A SEC" and the desperately wiping.

Good lord, back in november I played phone tag with my work for almost a full month becaue they'd call when I was unavailable, leave a voicemail saying "call back!!!" and then themselves be unavailable, then finally I'd get a twenty-second instruction. Just loving email it.

We have no need for calls/knocks that come at inconvenient times and force you to drop what you're doing or interrupt an interaction with someone else. Just loving text. Phone calls are for pleasure or emergencies.

I honestly can't wait until calls become a thing of the past. I'll chat for hours with friends or SO's after we exchange "hey you busy, want to call?" texts but gently caress em otherwise. I had a partner that would randomly call just to chat when I was busy and then get upset when I couldn't. Just text. Hell, we can chat via text without me ditching my friends, or stopping studying or work. I can respond to emails while working. Text, just text.

vintagepurple has a new favorite as of 15:49 on Dec 20, 2016