Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:newlol: Somehow I don't feel too bad for this iteration of Watase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The most predictable bad end ever shy of being introduced to a pit in a platformer and jumping in.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Good job, Watase. :downsbravo:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Instill

To note, I'm following a walkthrough for this playthrough, meaning that there will be a lot of minor differences because of blue branches. So for instance, we have a higher Sense of Kazami in this branch in Closed Circle, and as a result...

We get a slightly different line, and a +1 to both Kazami and Jun. Also, a line right afterwards changes a bit.

Um, can I call you Ms. Kazami...?
No, please call me Tachibana instead. There's no need to be formal with me.

There will be a lot of these changes, especially with Ena, who we'll have a much higher Sense of this time around. I won't be showing all of these off, I'll make some arbitrary judgements on which are interesting and which aren't for the sake of not having too many disjointed bits where I go ''and this line in this chapter is slightly different''.

Our next diversion is in Backdraft. This yellow branch didn't pop up during our first run, and it guards the entrance to Kazami's first friendship scene, Instill.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

It was at that moment that he heard a voice across the sea of fire.

Watase looked to that voice to find Jun looking at him and Kazami from the other side of the flames. Watase quickly shouted back.

M-Moribe! Throw us the hose!
On it!

Jun picked up the hose lying in the fire and tossed it with an underhand throw. The metal nozzle slid across the floor and stopped right in front of Watase.

Just standing burned his skin, and his lungs hurt every time he took a breath.

Ghh... *cough*...
Captain, don't! I'll handle this!
I'm okay! Even I can handle a little fire like this!

--!!

Watase was caught off guard for a moment. The water pressure was far greater than he'd expected. So he used all his might to keep the hose under control, knowing it'd most likely shoot right out of his hands if he let his guard down for even a second.

E... eat this!!

The hose's jetstream ran right into the brightly burning fire. However--

Although steam was rising here and there, the force of the flames didn't weaken in the slightest.

S-son of a bitch!!

Watase blindly swung the hose. Despite his efforts, the fire only grew stronger and stronger and swooped down on Watase with intense ferocity. The flames swayed, briefly licking at his left hand.

The heat shot through his gloves and burned the back of his hand. He then dropped the hose on instinct.

(O... oh poo poo!)

A bad end lies here, but first, let's finish the chapter the regular way.

Out of the way, Captain!

But then Kazami grabbed his collar and violently pulled him back.

!?
This is why I said I'd handle this! You need to get farther back!
G-got it--

As he said this, Watase noticed that there was something caught on his right hand.

It was a locket with a broken chain. Kazami had apparently dropped it when she'd tackled him earlier. Watase quickly put it in his pocket and looked at the sight that lay in front of him.

Kazami nimbly handled the hose as she told Watase this in a calm voice. She aimed the jetstream right at the edge of the fire, pushing the flames back.

Amazing...!

Kazami replied to Watase's praise with a cool and collected tone.

'Read the path of the flames, then suppress them with water. Take out the source of the fire after that'. Someone who's forgotten even that has no right to hold this hose.

Kazami quickly swung the hose as she fired off that cold answer. The water swelled like an animal and fell onto the fire in front of them. The flames that had been heartily burning with such fury earlier were now growing smaller and smaller with each passing moment. And soon enough, they were gone completely.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Kazami turned off the water with that declaration. Jun quickly came running back over and called out to her teammates.

Man, that was too close for comfort, guys.
Yeah... it's all thanks to the two of you that we got out of there alive...
More importantly than that, Captain--

All of a sudden, she grabbed Watase by the collar.

Captain! Why did you give the OK without checking the IRT scanner properly!?
I-I'm sorry... I was just thinking about how badly we needed to find some AD, so I got impatient...
Impatient!? You screwed up because you were -impatient-!? You think you're fit for this line of work with such naive thoughts like that!? You won't be able to save the survivors like that, to say the least of keeping yourself safe!
S-sorry...
And why didn't you obey my orders right away!?
I-I... But I felt like I had to protect you right away back then...
Protect me...? Please do not get so conceited. It might've be a different story if you were your normal self, but you don't have that strength as you are right now.

Something in Watase's head snapped at those words.

Don't be so harsh! I'm trying to help out in my own way the best I--
'In my own way'...!?

Kazami's eyebrows twitched as she said that.

Agh!

--She then grabbed him by the nape of his neck and pushed him against the wall.

Do you seriously believe such naive thoughts like that will be enough to keep you alive in this place!? Wanting to 'do my best in my own way' or 'try as hard as I can' means nothing out here! What you need to survive is the composure to choose and take the right actions! We didn't come here to die a pointless death! We came here to save lives!
...!
Back when we found Ms. Yuuri, you tried to run into that fire without even considering your own abilities or the danger of the situation, didn't you? That also most likely stemmed from you trying to save Yuuri 'in your own way'. However-- 'Someone who would throw their own life away to save survivors is no hero. Just a fool'! Though you don't remember, those are your very own words I'm quoting here! If you've even forgotten something like that, then that makes you no different from a civilian!

Watase couldn't say anything to that. He felt like he'd been handed an epiphany of how utterly powerless and foolish he'd been. He hung his head crestfallenly and let out a feeble reply.

I... I'm sorry... I put everyone in danger because of my own careless actions...
...As long as you understand, that's good. But please make sure you never forget everything I told you just now.

Kazami let go of Watase's neck and said that. It was then that Jun nervously cut in.

...Lieutenant, it's not the captain's fault. Any other day and he wouldn't have this problem.
Yes, you're correct. Normally, he wouldn't be the kind of person to take such rash actions.

Those words pierced Watase's heart. She was right: the Watase Kasasagi of today was completely different from the normal Watase Kasasagi. So he wished that he could, at the very least, learn from his past self.

At this point, we cut back into Backdraft proper with Watase saying ''Hey, Tachibana... exactly what kind of rescue worker was the normal me like?''. So this friendship chapter was kind of a variation on what we saw in the regular one, except with Watase being more of an idiot and Kazami getting even more pissed off. Next, let's cut back and see how we could have died here.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Intrusive

Alright, now let's see what happens when we make Watase even more overeager by setting his Sense of self higher than his Sense of Kazami.

Did you not hear me!? Fall back!
W-wait! Let me try for a little while longer!

Watase shouted that and picked up the hose.

A-are you out of your mind!?

But Watase brushed aside Kazami's warnings.

(It's okay! When it comes down to it, I'm still a rescue worker! I can't mature if I keep relying on Tachibana's help every time!)

Watase managed to convince himself of this--

Uwooooooooooooh!

--and went charging into the room that was still spewing flames.

(Ignore it! All of this will be out soon!)

Watase's plan was simple: get rid of the flames from their source. However--

(Th-they're not going out!?)

The flames just kept surging forward one after another regardless of how much water he doused them with. Watase trembled in fear in the face of this endless calamity.

Captain, please get back here right away! Captain! Captain!

He could hear Kazami's screams coming outside of the room now sealed off by fire.

(Sh-poo poo--!!)

The flames ran up his body.

♪ BGM: Abyss

His hair suddenly burst into flames. And with that, his skin and his flesh... were hideously scorched.

UGYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!

An inhuman scream escaped from Watase's mouth. He dropped the hose without even thinking about it. Now assaulted by heat, agony, and fear, Watase writhed grotesquely where he stood. Even his vocal chords were soon burned to a crisp, leaving him unable to even scream.

Agh, gaah... ghh...
.......!

Kazami screamed something. But the only thing Watase heard was the fire blazing around him-- And in the blink of an eye, even his consciousness was incinerated by the hellfire...

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I'm seeing a trend here

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo Watase :ughh:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Why does this game love describing how Watase burns to death in exquisite detail? I mean, I'm not saying he didn't earn it by being a colossal idiot, but it's starting to veer into a little too much information.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GeneralYeti posted:

Why does this game love describing how Watase burns to death in exquisite detail? I mean, I'm not saying he didn't earn it by being a colossal idiot, but it's starting to veer into a little too much information.

I guess if you're going to write "Watase burns to death" so many times, you might as well spice it up.

:allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GeneralYeti posted:

Visual gore in japan is sort of a nono so the authors need to get creative. 999 had this too.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

GeneralYeti posted:

Sometimes you might want to watch Watase burn to death in exquisite detail.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Escape: 09/16/2030, 10:04

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

In an example of a blue branch doing a bit more, we get to look at a large part of Escape in a new light, thanks to us having a higher Sense of Ena than we did back then. This cuts in after Kazami saying ''I don't know, but this is bad... it's too dangerous to wander around alone in this place!''

Ena gasped sharply at Kazami's words. Watase saw what appeared to be a look of guilt cover her face.

Teach, we need to look for her now!
Y-you're right... She couldn't have gotten far!

The two of them exchanged glances and simultaneously broke off into a run.

Moribe, Mr. Ukita, let's search too!
Roger!
Right, let's hurry!

Watase turned to Ena as they dashed through the hallway.

Where do you think Yuuri ran off!?
I-I don't know! But-- I don't think I heard any security gates opening or anything like that...

It was then that Watase realized it. The security gates and doors to each laboratory made a loud sound whenever they opened or closed.

(--You need to go through a security gate to get out of this area. And Yuuri most likely doesn't have a card, which means that she probably can't get out of this area.) Did you hear the doors to any of the smaller rooms opening up?
No, not at all!
So that means--

There was only one answer. Ena's head suddenly shot upwards.

--She's gotta be heading for the staircase!

Unlike the mechanical sliding doors that stood in front of every other room, the stairwells had normal fireproof doors. If you were careful enough to open that door without making a sound, you could get away without anyone noticing.

Let's go!
'Yes!

The two nodded at each other and headed for the emergency staircase. When they got there--

Yuuri was standing in that dim room.

Yuuri froze with a jolt. Watase and Ena ran up the staircase and grabbed Yuuri by the arm.

Yuuri, don't go running off like that without saying anything... you had us all worried.

Watase gently put his hand on Yuuri's shoulder. Yuuri hung her head like a dog that'd been scolded.

Ms. Yuuri, why'd you run away from us?
Uh, um... Er... I... got scared...
Scared?
Scared... of what?
W-well...
Listen Yuuri, we're not mad at you. You can answer Teach's question.

Watase let go of her arm and spoke with a kind voice. Yuuri then nervously started talking as if she'd finally prepared herself.

W-well... because of that explosion I heard...
Explosion? So you're saying you got scared by that sound and ran all the way here?
Y-yes...

Watase and Ena looked at each other.

...Looks like she's quite the scaredy cat.
...Yes.

Watase gave a wry smile and turned back to the door.

Heeey, guys! We found Yuuri!

--It wasn't long before they heard the sound of Kazami and the others running over. As soon as she got there, Kazami gave Yuuri a stern glare.

!!
Didn't I tell you it was dangerous!? I'll get mad if you do something like that ever again, you hear me!?
U-Um... I'm sor...

Yuuri's voice trembled in the face of Kazami's harsh scolding. Watase quickly cut in.

H-hold on, Tachibana! You shouldn't yell at her so much!
What was that?
It appears that Yuuri was frightened by the sound of the backdraft I caused and just started running without even thinking. So basically, it's my fault. So... if you could ease up on the yelling...

Watase said this nervously, seeing as how he'd been on the end of a scolding from Kazami himself just a few minutes ago. A troubled look appeared on her face.

So that's what happened... but it's still more dangerous to go off on your own.
She's right, Yuuri. You'll be more safe with us than anywhere else.
I'm in the same situation as you are, and I too think it'd be best to listen to the professionals.
I-I'm sorry...

Yuuri was practically shrinking after having every adult in the room scold her at once.

C'mon guys... we were already gonna go to floor B1 anyway, so why don't we just thank Yuuri for saving us some time?
You're being too soft, Captain! If something like this happens again, then we may find a body instead next time!
I get that, but Yuuri's learned her lesson by now, right Yuuri?
...Yes.

She said this in a nearly inaudible voice. Even Kazami looked a bit embarrassed at herself.

...As long as you understand, then that's all I ask. Shall we go, then?

Kazami took Yuuri's hand and ascended the staircase. Jun and Ukita followed after them. Last but not least, Watase and Ena began to walk up the stairs. Just then--

Ena grabbed Watase's hand and whispered that.

Hmm, what is it?
About Ms. Yuuri... is it just me, or did she just freeze on the spot as soon as she saw you when we were chasing her?
Huh? Yeah, you're right...

Watase suddenly remembered something just as he said that. How she'd reacted earlier, and her attitude up until this point.

... Actually, to be honest, I don't think she's liked me from the moment we met.
She doesn't like you? Why?
Beats the hell out of me... What could it be?

Watase started to wonder if Yuuri had a problem with him or something. He looked at Ena's face and asked:

Hey Teach, is my face scary?
Scary... No, not really. Well, you look the same you always do; like a bit of a dunce.
Ghh... g-gee, thanks.

Watase asked another question as he felt the pain of Ena's retort in his heart.

But then I guess it's not a problem with my face. So what could it be?
What indeed. Got any ideas?
Mmm, nope, nothing... But hey, you're a teacher, right? Has a student ever disliked you for no reason?

Ena looked confused about Watase's question.

Of course not. My students love me.
...Oh really. Then what's your secret?
Good question. Well, if I had to say, it's because I shower my students with unconditional love.
Love?
Yep, love. I always put the kids first, keep an eye on them... and I always make sure to spare no effort. Even it's a bit pushy, your feelings will come through to others so long as you actually think about them from the bottom of your heart.
Huh, so that's it.

He couldn't say anything for sure since he didn't know what the normal Ena's relationship with her students was like, but he decided to keep that advice in mind. But at the same time, he noticed a gaping hole in Ena's speech and decided to exploit it.

...But you know, for a teacher who 'always keeps an eye on the kids', you sure did a great job on noticing Yuuri had run away.
Ouch, you just had to hit me right where it hurt. Feeling a bit down now, not gonna lie.
Well, let's just make sure we -both- keep an eye on Yuuri from now on.
Hmph, I don't want to hear that coming from you.

The two of them reached the top of the stairs by the time Ena finished saying that-- And officially reached floor B1.

And with that, we then enter Knocking on Heaven's Door.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Comfort

Our next diversion takes us to Shortage. Watase and Kazami are arguing about who should take the half dose of AD and who should take the full one. Last time around, we deferred to Kazami, who was insisting she take the half dose. This time around, let's play the hero again - because that's been working out so well for Watase so far, right?

Though he was overwhelmed by her menacing attitude-- Watase still argued back.

No, wait, I'll inject myself with the half-dose of AD! I can't let a woman do something so reckless!
Woman!? Did you just call me 'woman'!? Is that why you're trying to be considerate!? Please do not get so conceited! I believe you agreed to obey my orders when we set out, did you not!?

As you might have already gathered from us not dying from this choice last time around, this is not going to end well.

Kazami glared at Watase. But he didn't back down.

Just hand it over!
Ah!

Watase snatched the damaged AD out of Kazami's hands and injected himself with it.

Wha... what have you done!?
I had no choice... talking wasn't going to get us anywhere.

Watase gave Kazami the undamaged AD and spoke.

Come on, hurry up and inject yourself with this. You were the one who said time was valuable.
...! Understood!

Kazami injected herself with the AD as if she'd resigned herself. Jun quickly followed suit. Kazami sighed, then spoke to Ukita and the others.

...I apologize for causing you trouble. Now we've all finished injecting ourselves, correct?

And then things continue as normal - the bad end won't actually come into effect until later. For now, we proceed through chapters as normal, with the only difference being that all lines referring to Kazami needing AD are replaced with lines about Watase needing AD.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

Our main diversion for this update actually comes a bit later, during Hazard. Watase passed out while chasing Salyu through the contaminated zone and awakes to find Ena carrying him. Last time around, this yellow branch didn't pop up for us, and it leads us into an Ena friendship scene, coming in after ''In the end, Watase was no closer to figuring out the truth. ''.

...Teach...
Hmm?
I'm sorry... I failed to rescue your student...

Ena gasped, then smiled.

It's okay... you still risked your life trying. And besides, knowing that Ms. Sannomiya is in the basement for sure is still progress.
But still, she ran into a contaminated zone... so it's possible she's being exposed to radiation.
Actually, there might be some hope on that front.

Ena said that and took something out.

What's that?
It was lying near the staircase. If Ms. Sannomiya was the one who used it, then that gives her at least some protection.
Then I guess she'll be okay if she stays out of any more contaminated zones, huh...

But he couldn't be optimistic. it was very unlikely that she had a Procyon. Ena continued talking.

...She'll be fine. Truth be told, that girls a prodigy who excels at almost everything.
A prodigy?
Right. I just know she's the kind of girl who can figure out a way to survive by herself.
I see... that definitely is... hopeful.

Even if it was only a faint hope-- Watase felt he should believe in it. He then continued speaking in order to assuage Ena's concerns even further.

...Still, I've gotta say, you're a great person, Teach.
Now where'd this come from? Just so you know, flattery will get you nowhere.
No, I mean it. You volunteered to come with us back at the staircase when you saw your student, remember? A teacher who was willing to run through a fire just to save her student... is a great person in my book.
That's only because I felt I had to save Ms. Sannomiya as soon as I saw her. I might have passed out too if I'd actually gone with you... there's nothing great about that. It just means I lack the ability to think things through.
I see... but it's the exact same way with me too, you know?
Huh?

Ena stared at Watase with an inquisitive glance. He responded by talking about his own experience.

When I first met Yuuri, she was trapped in a sea of flames. When I saw her like that, I felt I had to save her no matter what, and so I--
Ran into the fire?
No, Moribe stopped me right before I could.
Oh my... that was rather reckless of you.
Yeah, let's just say I was being an idiot back there. Maybe Yuuri's deemed me unreliable because she saw me trying to pull a stupid stunt like that. Though I guess I'd say she doesn't hate me. More like she doesn't have faith in me... and I've got amnesia on top of all that.

Ena gave Watase a wry smile.

I think it'd be best not to worry about it so much. There's just girls out there around Yuuri's age who are scared of all adult men, plain and simple.
I hope that's the case... no wait, that still wouldn't make me happy...
Just man up. True, an amnesiac who passes out isn't exactly the most reliable of people, but I know you're trying your best. I'm sure Yuuri and the others know that too.
Y-you're right. Complaining about it is just pathetic.

Watase felt himself getting all pumped up again from Ena's stern encouragement. An intrepid smile then appeared on Ena's face.

There, that's the spirit... by the way, mind if I ask you something?
Hmm?
How long do you plan on making me carry you like this?
Oh... s-sorry!

Watase quickly moved away from Ena as soon as he realized she was still carrying him on her shoulder.

Sure, I'm always up for a lecture like that if you need it. Anyway, let's hurry on over to the control room.
Yeah.

Watase and Ena nodded at each other and broke off into a run.

And with that, we return back to Hazard proper with Ena and Watase running into Yuuri. Next time, we'll see how taking the half dose of AD comes back to bite us in the rear end.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Seeing these friendship scenes is like, well....Best Buddy Jun is Best Buddy (derangement notwithstanding) but seeing the Ena scenes is making me feel like a right heel.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

TheMcD posted:

No, wait, I'll inject myself with the half-dose of AD! I can't let a woman do something so reckless!
It's almost impressive how many ways Watase can be an idiot. Especially now that he should have a handle on who knows what they're doing here(aka 'not him').

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

OddHaberdasher posted:

Seeing these friendship scenes is like, well....Best Buddy Jun is Best Buddy (derangement notwithstanding) but seeing the Ena scenes is making me feel like a right heel.

Yeah, I had a significantly higher opinion of Ena when I went through this than you guys did.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

You just won best post in this thread.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Flash Over

The point where the game fucks us over for being a hero this time around is actually right after Hazard. Instead of getting into the chapter Flash Dance, we jump into Flash Over, which has a bit of a different ending, as you might imagine.

His Procyon's alarm beeped a second later. It read ''4452 mSv''-- That was a dangerous level of radiation to Watase, given that he'd only injected himself with a half-dose AD. His skin immediately felt uncomfortable. and his headache swiftly came back with a vengeance.

(Khh... but I can't just be the only one not doing anything here...!)

He could see Kazami and Jun holding two hoses as they desperately suppressed the fire, the sound of the Procyon's alarm beeping in the background. Watase gnashed his teeth and quickly ran over to them.

Oh, you came back!?
Captain, are you sure you're okay!?
Yeah, no worries.
But your face is pa—-
Your concern is unnecessary. Anyway, is there something I can do to help?

Watase checked the area to find nearly all of it engulfed in flames. With the air full of heat waves and steam, every breath he took felt like it was setting his lungs on fire.

Well, yeah, we wish you could help us put out these fires. It's just--
This fire is already beyond human help at this point...!
Khh...

But, figuring it was better than doing nothing, Watase started to look for a fire extinguisher when--

A tongue of flame which had been licking at the ceiling nimbly waved towards the floor.

Wha!?
Oh poo poo, it's rolling over!
We'll never last against that! All hands retreat!

Even Watase could tell that whatever was happening was no laughing matter. --But at that moment.

(Ghh, not now...!)

A headache strong enough to numb his whole body hit Watase, forcing him to lean against the wall.

C-Captain!?
Oh no! Moribe, give me a hand!

Kazami and Jun threw aside their hoses as they carried Watase from both sides.

Captain, please hang in there!
C'mon, we've gotta get out of here!

But then Watase turned around and witnessed a strange phenomenon.

(Wh-what's that--!?)

The smoke surrounding the fire turned yellow. Jun and Kazami gasped when then saw it.

--Aaaaah!!
No! If this keeps up--!

--It's coming. Though he didn't know what it was, Watase was sure of that. At that moment, all sound vanished from the world. It was like even time itself had stopped. One second before Watase was hit with the death he knew was coming for him, a memory replayed in his head.

Ah! Wha... what have you done!?
I had no choice... talking wasn't going to get us anywhere.

But it was far too late to regret it. The yellow flames then turned into a sinister black, and then--!

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

TheMcD posted:

Hey Teach, is my face scary?
Scary... No, not really. Well, you look the same you always do; like a bit of a dunce.

But hey, you're a teacher, right? Has a student ever disliked you for no reason?
Of course not

Set Ena to 8 plz.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Guys, just a theory, but in the future, be on the lookout for the numbers 4, 9, 16 and 25. 36, 49, 64, 81 and 100 as well. Just a hunch.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Junpei posted:

Guys, just a theory, but in the future, be on the lookout for the numbers 4, 9, 16 and 25. 36, 49, 64, 81 and 100 as well. Just a hunch.

Actually, just watch out for all numbers. Almost every number can be a Root Double.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Misguided

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

Our next diversion comes in Disaster Prevention Manual. We had the choice between Kazami's plan of fixing a card slot, and Ena's plan of putting out some fires. We picked Kazami's plan the last time around, so let's see what Ena's plan brings.

No, those flames are far too powerful. It's dangerous. I propose that we repair the broken card slot instead.
(What to do...?)

Watase thought it over for a second and soon came to his answer.

Say, Tachibana, why don't we go to the passageway? We might be able to put out that fire if we try, you know?

Kazami looked really uneasy about that prospect. But Watase stuck to his opinion in spite of that.

I have some knowledge on the subject. I try to be somewhat informed on the workings of machines.
But you're not -sure- that you can do it, right?
Well, true, I can't say anything unless I give it a try...
Then seeing as we're short on time, how 'bout we split into two groups? Mr. Ukita and I will go and take a look at the card slot.
U-Um... I'll go with Ms. Moribe too...
Then the Captain and I will go check the burning passageway. What will you do, Ms. Tsubakiyama?
I won't be any help at putting out the fires, so I'll go with Ms. Moribe's group. I'm sorry... I know I'm the one who suggested it and all, but...
It's okay, don't worry about it.

Watase said that and quickly went on the move with Kazami.

Fortunately, there wasn't any fire from what he could see. But he could hear the sound of a roaring inferno coming from just past the corner up ahead. When she heard that, Kazami spoke with a frozen look on her face.

Captain... let's turn back. It's too dangerous.
No, we need to see it with our own eyes to be sure. Let's go.

Watase walked down the connecting passageway, accompanied by Kazami. The latter held a fire hose at the ready. The air grew hotter with every step they took, and the roar of the flames gradually became louder and louder. They finally went past the corner and saw--

--A world swirling with hellfire.

Kazami immediately switched the hose on and began hosing down the flames.

Captain, this won't work at all! Let's retreat!
No--

Watase stood his ground amidst the heat waves and steam as he stared closely at the blazing flames. The fire was about 5 meters wide-- And on the other side of it was the security gate that led to Area 3.

Kazami shouted as soon as she noticed Watase backing up in preparation for a running start.

Captain, what do you think you're doing!?
--Don't worry about it!

Watase said that, then jumped off the ground with a three step running start.

Hah!

His hair and skin were instantly scorched. But right as he gnashed his teeth to endure the pain-- --his body cleared the flames and landed in front of the gate.

Captain, what have you done!?

Kazami was screaming at him. But he had no time to turn around.

(drat, that burns!)

Watase was in the middle of a white hot world full of stagnant air heated by flames. ''Hold your breath. If you don't, your lungs will be burned.'' His brain assessed the danger and sent him a stern warning.

(It'll be okay! I can handle a little heat!)

Watase convinced himself of that as he quickly took out the security card. Once he opened the gate, he could breathe all he wanted in Area 3. Then all he'd have to do was run to the engine room and restore the sprinkler system. That'd take care of all the fires in LABO.

(--I've got this!)

With that confidence brimming inside him, Watase slid the card into the terminal. But the gate didn't respond in the slightest. At that moment, his spine went so cold that it was nearly impossible to believe he was surrounded by flames.

(No, this can't be! A-are you kidding me!?)

Watase tried putting the card in the slot again, his hands trembling as he did. But nothing changed.

(poo poo! The terminal's completely busted!!)

Watase turned around in terror. He gazed at the sea of flames standing in his way-- And at that moment, he forgot his situation and instinctively took a breath.

His lungs burned.

Gagh, ghhhhgh, khhhah... gaaagh! G-gaaaaagh!

His lungs were scorched even further with every cough (if they could even be called that at this point) he took.

(I... I can't brea--)

Kazami turned to the fallen Watase and desperately screamed at him. But he could no longer even understand what she was saying. His vision dimmed, and before long, he saw no more.

No, those flames are far too powerful. It's dangerous.

At that moment, Watase's body was doused by a hose's jetstream. It seemed that Kazami had rushed into the flames with the hose in hand. Watase still managed to weave together a thought in his fading consciousness.

(Forget it, Tachibana... Just forget about me and go join the others...)

And as he worried about Kazami risking her life trying to save a fool like him-- Watase fell into a deep darkness at the end of his suffering.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Photograph

Our next diversion comes with this branch during Fighters' Rest. After ''Ms. Tsubakiyama, please don't join in on this too.'', we jump into a Kazami friendship chapter.

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

(True, she really is beautiful...)

But like Jun had said, she definitely had a harsh attitude to her that could turn men away. He could understand why in this situation-- but he had a hard time imagining what Kazami was like in her day-to-day life.

(I wonder what she looks like in normal clothes... though I'd say her uniform suits her better than any fashionable clothes or accessories ever could.)

Watase suddenly remembered something at that moment.

(Oh yeah, speaking of accessories...)

Watase reached into his pocket and pulled out...

He'd spotted it and picked it up by chance when Kazami saved him back in Area 3.

(I've gotta give this back to her...)

Watase pinched the locket as he thought this.

It was a picture of a sourfaced man with a somewhat stern look in his eyes.

(Who's this guy... something about his face pisses me off for some reason.)

As Watase pondered this--

That locket-- why do you have it!?
Oh, sorry. I found it a while back, but I forgot to return it to y--

Whoa!

Kazami snatched the locket away from Watase before he even had time to say anything.

You saw what was inside, didn't you...!?
Wh-what're you getting so angry for? Carrying around a photo of your boyfriend is no big deal...
Wait, a boyfriend!?
Intriguing. Could you show it to us?
No. That's an absolute negative.
Oh my, quite a stubborn one... though I didn't expect you to be so old-fashioned as to carry a locket around.
That's 'cause she hasn't taken it off in years. It's Sis' trademark.

Kazami furrowed her eyebrows at that last part.

And then we enter back into Fighter's Rest with Kazami getting huffy about Jun calling her ''Sis''.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Jesus Christ Watase you absolute dumbfuck.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Watase "I should have listened to Tachibana" Kasasagi

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

TheMcD posted:

It was a picture of a sourfaced man with a somewhat stern look in his eyes.

(Who's this guy... something about his face pisses me off for some reason.)

From what we can see of the picture, and Tachibana's adamant refusal to let Ena or Jun see the picture, it seems like Watase may be in for a shock when he sees his reflection. I wonder if his feelings here are stemming from jealously, or if that's really what Watase thinks?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

Jesus Christ Watase you absolute dumbfuck.

tiistai posted:

Watase "I should have listened to Tachibana" Kasasagi

I mean, that's the problem when you have competent, careful people around. Bad ends always have to revolve around not doing what the competent, careful people say.

HydroSphere posted:

From what we can see of the picture, and Tachibana's adamant refusal to let Ena or Jun see the picture, it seems like Watase may be in for a shock when he sees his reflection. I wonder if his feelings here are stemming from jealously, or if that's really what Watase thinks?

If you want to think about it, our Watase, the lovable dunce with a heart of gold that weighs him down at times, hasn't exactly a lot in common with their Watase, the straight-laced, no-nonsense, elite rescue squad captain, and when things get brought up that their Watase would say or do, our Watase hasn't really approved. So I guess it kind of works that our Watase looks at straight-faced sourpuss Watase and thinks "what an rear end in a top hat".

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How long has Kazami been a rescue worker? Cause if she's worn that locket for a long time, then how do events tie together?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheMcD posted:

If you want to think about it, our Watase, the lovable dunce with a heart of gold that weighs him down at times, hasn't exactly a lot in common with their Watase, the straight-laced, no-nonsense, elite rescue squad captain, and when things get brought up that their Watase would say or do, our Watase hasn't really approved. So I guess it kind of works that our Watase looks at straight-faced sourpuss Watase and thinks "what an rear end in a top hat".

Don't forget their Watase was probs an evil rear end in a top hat.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Cumulative exposure

Our next diversion comes during the second part of Body, after the Jun friendship scene. When Watase and Ena go out to search the outer ring, we get a yellow branch that guards the next friendship scene. Instead of walking in silence...

Huh...?
It'll be fine. That surveillance camera footage showed that there's a big chance they're in either Area 5 or 6. They shouldn't have gotten caught up in the fire in this area.

Watase said that knowing he was trying to convince himself of that as much as he was trying to convince Ena. He was doing his best to avoid bringing up that Ena had seen one of her students in this very area almost an hour ago. But Ena still looked glum.

...The fire's not all I'm worried about.
Huh?
I'm more concerned about the radiation... I mean, your Procyon said that the radiation levels here are over 5000 mSv, right?
R-right.
It doesn't feel that way at all... but still, this level of radiation would normally kill you, right? We don't even know if the AD is actually protecting us from this level...

The first danger standard was ''4000-8000 mSv'', which referred to an area that they wouldn't want to stay for long in even with AD.

...Yeah, it'd be best for both the survivors -and- us not to overstay our welcome here.
Indeed. Especially me and Ms. Tachibana...
Huh? Tachibana I get, but why you?
Don't you remember? I didn't take any AD until you guys found me.
!!

Watase was filled with shock. Now that he thought about it, she was absolutely right. Ena hadn't even known about the meltdown until the group had told her.

The Procyon's reading was still low then, so I don't think my cumulative exposure is all that high...
N-no, hold on! You say that, but you can never be too careful in this situation! You should tell Tachibana and sit out the search of this area or--
Oh my, don't kid yourself. There's no way I can just rest while everyone else is working as hard as they can.

Watase took a long hard look at Ena’s face. He'd only thought of her as a naggy woman, but--

...You're amazing, Teach...
Huh? How so?
How do I put it... 'you've got a heart of steel' or something...? Anyway, you're an amazing woman.
Heh, don't tell me you're falling for me?
A little.

Ena completely went quiet in a second.

...Wait a minute, this isn't the time for jokes, right? You -do- know what we're dealing with right now, don't you?
Oh? I was just playing along with your joke. Weren't you?
Oh, uh, right... Anyway, got it, I'll be careful about my health.

Ena looked away when she said that.

Let's cut the silly chit-chat and get back to searching.
R-right.

Watase nodded after a bit of thinking, then focused on the search. He and Ena finished searching the hallway and headed on over to the elevator hall.

And then we jump back into Body, with Watase and Ena finding Hiyama's corpse.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Skewer

For reference, in our quest for bad ends, we make a save at this decision point during Order. We need to gently caress up or Favor with people for some bad ends, and the walkthrough picks this spot. So we'll be coming back here later. For now, moving on.

Our next proper diversion comes during Emergency Evacuation. We did what Kazami told us to do and retreated when the staircase was going to fall apart. But what if we didn't?

She didn't have a Procyon. Would she be all right all on her own--l?

What are you doing, Captain!?

But Watase's feelings persevered.

(--I can't leave Teach all by herself!)

Watase turned back downstairs, guided by that thought.

Kazami's shouts echoed throughout the stairwell.

(It'll be fine! My body should be strong enough to make down to the bottom before it collapses!)

Watase clung to his self-confidence as he ran down-- --But felt nothing.

(???)

Once he realized he couldn't feel the ground, Watase's eyes darted down. What he saw was the wreckage of the staircase that had fallen just before he had.

He suddenly felt like he was floating. --No, not floating! Falling!

--!

However-- Before him was a twisted landscape comprised of a crushed iron frame, iron plates, and reinforcing bars that looked like something straight out of a nightmare. Everything that the eye could see had crumbled apart. --And a second later, the world sunk with a creek.

!!!

Bolts and nuts popped off. Countless debris fell to the earth. And Watase was in the middle of it all.

--AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

The ground grew closer. And closer. And closer. --AAAH! The impact turned into a flash that shot right through Watase's consciousness. --Just then... Something hit Watase's back with a thump. No, something had pierced his chest. --HaVE I bEEn SKewEREd? But he could no longer move his body to find that out. Debris just kept relentlessly raining down on him. Crushing his hands, his feet, his shoulders, and then--

--a moment after Kazami's voice played back in his mind-- --his head.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Watase seems to have no issues climbing up and down ropes so yeah, lol

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Idle Thoughts

Now, during Factory, we have the choice of who to team with while searching the inner ring of Area 6. In our playthrough, we of course went with the best buddy, Jun. We could also team up with Kazami or Ena, but overall, the scene doesn't really change...

...except for the CG. The one we team up with says slightly different things, but overall, Buddy & Buddy (Jun's chapter) is pretty much the same as Superior & Subordinate (Kazami's chapter), which is pretty much the same as Rescue & Teacher (Ena's chapter)...

...except not quite, because actually, one of Ena's friendship scenes is hiding in her chapter variant.

Wait, can you pull that off? I mean, I'm heavy in my own way, you know.
Oh come on, you're as light as a feather. And we're only climbing 4 or 5 meters up. So come on, hurry up and get on my back.

Oddly enough, he was totally confident that he'd have no problems climbing even with Ena on his back. Perhaps that confidence had come through to her, as after a moment's hesitation, Ena wrapped her arms around Watase's shoulders.

Okay, here we go. Hang on tight.
R-right.

Watase began climbing the rope with her voice as the trigger.

It was probably an action that'd been drilled into him in training. Watase got up to the top with little to no effort, even with the weight of two.

Th-that was amazing...!
Guess it's a basic skill for rescue workers. I mean, it didn't even feel dangerous at all.
Hmm... looks like you really are becoming more and more like a rescue worker with time.
What do you mean 'like'? I actually am one, remember?

Her body shook to the beat of her laughter-- And it was only then that Watase noticed the two sensations pressing against his back.

(... They're huge.)

Watase gulped.

(... This size sure as hell isn't normal... what cup is she!?)

It was a wonder why he hadn't noticed those two well-rounded objects up until now.

(...! What the hell's wrong with me!? What kind of dumbass am I!? Clean thoughts, Watase Kasasagi, clean thoughts! The survivors could be waiting to be rescued on this floor right now at this very second, and I'm just standing here and...!)

But he couldn't clear his head of those thoughts. It wasn't long before Ena became taken aback and spoke.

(!? Is this woman an esper or something!?) Hahah, of course not... what makes you think that?
The fact that you suddenly stopped talking. I'm not liking this silence for some reason...
I was too focused on the climbing, that's why!
Liar. This isn't the same 'calm and composure' you had just a minute ago.
Q-quit accusing me. I just got a bit too worked up, that's all. I was worried that we'd both get badly hurt if my hands slipped even for a second.

Ena smiled slightly and put some strength into her arms.

I won't distract you anymore... I trust you, in a whole lot of ways.
That's really good to know. Let's focus back on the searching for now.

The two of them smiled at their playful conversation. ...In hindsight, perhaps they were being a bit -too- carefree, given the situation. But small talk like that felt extremely precious to Watase.

And then we return to the regular chapter, with them finding the manual that refers to the cargo lift and the partner crashing through the floor and Watase catching them almost instantly.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:japan:

drat though, climbing with an adult woman on his back. Well done, Watase.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Time's Up

Hey, you want some loving whiplash? Well, you're getting it. We're going from Watase suddenly noticing that Ena has big tits and having a cute little moment with her to a really fun bad end. And when I say ''fun'', I mean ''not fun at all''. Watase is shielding Yuuri from being crushed by debris. He managed to save her life and get out alive thanks to some quick thinking. But what if he didn't quite trust his instincts?

He thought he'd had something for a second there, but now he wasn't sure if it'd work. The weight of the debris against his back felt like it was getting heavier and heavier. He could delay no longer. Watase suddenly shouted as loud as he could.

Tachibana! Moribe! I'm begging you, do something!

♪ BGM: Memento Mori

Moribe, use the air jack and the engine cutter!
But aren't they in Area 2? We don't have time to go all the way back for the--
Yes we do! It shouldn't take that long if you go through Area 1 to get there!

That was exactly what Watase had been thinking-- his instincts had been right after all.

Moribe, please bring them here ASAP!
Roger! I'll be back in two minutes tops, so hang in there, Captain!
Ms. Tsubakiyama, Mr. Ukita, help me try to get as much debris off as possible until Moribe returns!
Okay, let's get started now!
Y-yeah!
Start moving this debris off!

Jun left the factory as Kazami, Ena, and Ukita started removing the debris. But a minute later-- Watase's arms started shaking rapidly.

Khh...!

He couldn't imagine how many kilograms he was holding up. His spread elbows creaked, feeling like they'd snap like twigs at any second.

(Moribe... please hurry up...!)

Yuuri's faced scrunched up grimly as if she could tell what Watase was feeling.

Y-you dummy... don't... apologize for nothing...
O-okay... ... But why... Why are you going this far to save my life?
W-why? Well...

It was then that Watase remembered--

--the voice he'd heard in his head shortly after he'd woken up.

(I see... so ever since I heard that voice, I've been...)
C-Captain Kasasagi...?

Yuuri looked confused at Watase's sudden silence. It was at that moment that they heard Jun's voice.

Sorry to keep you all waiting! What's the situation!?
Pretty... bad... to be honest... h-hurry up!
Understood! Moribe, get the air jack ready ASAP!
It's on standby now! Your orders!?
First, out along this line from here to there with the engine cutter! Put the air jack in the newly created hole after that! Then lift the debris up and get those two out of there!
Roger! Ms. Tsubakiyama, Mr. Ukita, get back now!
Now commencing cutting procedure!

The two rescue workers then began removing the debris--

(Ghh... g-goddammit...!)

But the strength in Watase's arms was fading quickly. It wouldn't surprise him if the weight of the debris won out any second now.

(I-I would have ordered Tachibana and Moribe right away back then if I'd known... this was going... to happen...)

Those lost ten seconds had cost him everything.

C-Captain Kasasagi...!

Yuuri looked anxious. But Watase no longer had the composure to say anything comforting to her. The debris was sinking further and further into his back. That was merely an illusion, but one that felt more than real enough.

(Moribe... please hurry up...!)

That one second felt -------- so long. The vibrations of the engine cutter were like poison to Watase now. And at the end of what felt like an eternity of agony--

But at that moment-- Watase hit his limit. He could tell that the muscle fibers in his arms were starting to burst. He really didn't have any more time.

(Sh... poo poo... I've got to make sure... that at least Yuuri... gets out...!)

With Yuuri's small body, it was probably possible for her to escape through the hole that'd been opened just now.

Captain, put up with it for a little longer! We're getting the air jack rea--

Watase forced his voice out in order to interrupt her.

Tachibana....! Pull Yuuri out right now...!
Huh...?
C-Captain?
--Tachibana, hurry! This is an order!

It was practically a miracle that he'd managed to shout that.

Y-yes!

Kazami took Yuuri's hand and quickly pulled her outside.

--UGYAAAAAAAAAAAGH! That horrific scream burst out of his mouth.

CAPTAIN--!
NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bones all throughout his body broke and pierced his lungs. He nearly passed out from the sheer pain of it all. A thought crossed Watase's mind amidst all that. ''I'm glad I saved Yuuri.'' But another thought simultaneously hit him. ''But were my actions just now really 'my actions'?'' --Or maybe--

--if I'd never heard that voice-- At that moment, it felt as if everything he'd been up until that point hadn't really been him. And just as Watase's conviction faded from his body... his mind fell into darkness.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hug

Hey, you want some more whiplash? Now, if we manage to not gently caress up that last part and instead make it out fine, we get the opportunity to go into another friendship scene for Kazami.

Watase looked around him, setting his eyes on Kazami first. And a second later, she--

--ran up to Watase and Yuuri as she said that, then embraced the two of them.

♪ BGM: Loyalist / Theme of Tachibana

Whoa!?
Wah!

Kazami paid no heed to their surprise and started talking in a tear-choked voice.

You really had me worried there...! It felt like my heart was about to stop at any second...
I-it's okay, Yuuri and I are fine... but...
U-um, it's a bit hard to breathe...

Kazami's arms of steel felt like they were crushing Watase and Yuuri's throats.

Huh? ... Ah! My apologies!

She frantically loosened her grip when she realized this. However--

...Uh, hey, Ms. Tachibana? ... Why aren't you letting go?
It's okay if we stay like this for a little longer, isn't it? What just happened was incredibly dangerous, so please just let me express my thanks for you having survived. After all, I don't want to imagine what would have happened if we'd made even the slightest mistake just now...

Kazami said that and gave Watase and Yuuri a nice pat on the back. Upon which, Yuuri--

--began to tremble as the reality of what they'd just been through only now finally hit her.

Y... yes...!
...You held up so good back there without even crying, you know that? But you're safe now.

Kazami said that and gently stroked Yuuri's hair. The warmth from Kazami's arms flowed into Watase. He also felt Yuuri's heat flood into him from their shoulders that were now connected from the hug they were locked in. It was then that Watase felt himself fully reconnect with reality again.

(That's right... we survived. We made it out of there with our lives...)

There was a path to survival even in such a desperate crisis like that. And the one who'd carved that path open for them was their most reliable comrade-- Kazami. Watase gently hugged her back. Yuuri's arms soon overlapped with Watase's. The three of them just stood in that embrace for a while, not saying a word.

Wooow, it really is good to be the captain, huh? I mean, you get free hugs from Lieutenant Stone Face and everything.

The three of them turned around in surprise to see the rest of the group grinning at them.

I must admit, I'm a tad jealous. You must be feeling really, really nice right about now.
Well, I'd say it was well deserved. It's thanks to him that Ms. Yuuri's alive.

And then we re-enter Breakthrough with Watase talking about how important teamwork is.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

However, there's another diversion in here that I find to be interesting. Because of our high Favor with Yuuri, we get this little extra bit when she's using the Chiron on Watase's head. Remember when people in the thread were wondering if there was something in Watase's name that might be relevant in some way?

...Huh...?
Hmm, what is it?
I just noticed something... you have a single streak of white hair.
Oh, really? I can't see my own head, so I wouldn't know.
It's true... it's like a kasasagi feather.
A kasasagi?
It's the name of a kind of magpie. It's a very smart bird that has a single white feather.
Huh... then maybe that's where my surname 'Kasasagi' came from?

Ena interjected at Watase's light joke.

Of course not. Did you also lose all your common sense with your memories?
Oh come on, Teach, I was just joking. Just trying to cheer up Yuuri...
Oh really. You know, you may be rather tough and manly, but your sense of humor sucks to high heaven.
D-drat, you're as harsh as always...

Yuuri let out an amused laugh at that conversation.

Hee hee... ehee hee...

Watase and Ena also smiled when they heard her laugh.

(... Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've ever heard Yuuri laugh. Hanging in there really did pay off...)

And then we go back to the regular part of Breakthrough.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, I'll be out of town for the 24th, the 25th and half of the 26th, so I put out three chapters today. Hope that's enough to tide you over for the holidays. I also finished up my set of footage, so Monday will be recording day. Maybe there'll be a chapter then, maybe not, we'll see.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Thanks for all the updates you've been putting out these last couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thanks for all the updates you've been putting out these last couple of days.

:agreed:

Enjoy your holidays, TheMcD (and everyone else.) :)

• Locked thread