Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

timn posted:

The thing to consider is that a lot of Elite's 'mile-wide inch-deep' design problems are more or less endemic to open world space games. We saw the same thing with No Man's Sky, and past cult favorites like the X series, Freelancer, etc. just obscured the issue by having a campaign of scripted missions bolted on top (something I predict Frontier is planning to do with Elite after seeing what they did with the revamped 2.2 training missions). Sure there are some obvious things Frontier could do to make the game more accessible and more respectful of the player's time, but those changes wouldn't make the gameplay any deeper.

I think it's more an issue with procedural generation than open world. Nobody plays X for the campaign and freelancer, IWar, etc all had a lot of stuff to do outside the story.

It's a pretty common occurrence in procedural generation games though, they spend so much time trying to get it right and fix little bugs you don't have time for anything else. See no man's sky.

I'm actually drawing a blank for any good proc gen games besides a few casual and arcadey games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
All of the people who were like "what would we do with walking-in-ships? Stare at our space-toilets?"

The true answer, of course, is that we would troll the ever living poo poo out of the SC thread. :black101:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

timn posted:

The thing to consider is that a lot of Elite's 'mile-wide inch-deep' design problems are more or less endemic to open world space games. We saw the same thing with No Man's Sky, and past cult favorites like the X series, Freelancer, etc. just obscured the issue by having a campaign of scripted missions bolted on top (something I predict Frontier is planning to do with Elite after seeing what they did with the revamped 2.2 training missions). Sure there are some obvious things Frontier could do to make the game more accessible and more respectful of the player's time, but those changes wouldn't make the gameplay any deeper.

The point is that building an open world space game with real depth is hard without either making serious compromises in the space sim aspect or having an inordinate amount of time and resources. This problem is going to be just as difficult for CIG to solve as it has been for Frontier and every other developer that's done one of these games before. And given CIG's track record so far, there really isn't any reason to believe they're going to magically pull a rabbit out a hat here.

X3 had some rad stuff in it even outside the story though, like managing an automated fleet of trading ships and building your own space stations.

Speaking of which, apparently it's been confirmed that X4 is in the works, once they finish putting out X Rebirth VR.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

that pic url absolutely hilarious, and still works

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 17, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

All of the people who were like "what would we do with walking-in-ships? Stare at our space-toilets?"

The true answer, of course, is that we would troll the ever living poo poo out of the SC thread. :black101:

Anyone who posts in that thing is already punishing themselves.

We should be more excited about the limited edition chrome toilets we can install into our iClippers etc.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mr. Crow posted:

It's actually looking better than elite now if I'm honest (based on an admittedly staged trailer in sure).

lol you're loving dumb 😂

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
:agreed:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I must be doing something wrong, I still enjoy the game.

*zooms away in his chrome Cutter*

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Even though I have to work my freelance rear end off at the moment, 17 Draconis netted me 750 millions and the rank of Rear Admiral. And it is a testament to the stupid grind that I will not upgrade my 'Vette until after the new patch, when I don't have to do stupid missions to get some even more stupid 80 cr commodity.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

I must be doing something wrong, I still enjoy the game.

*zooms away in his chrome Cutter*

Don't worry about broken people who can't stop playing or posting about a game they hate :buddy:

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?

Einbauschrank posted:

Even though I have to work my freelance rear end off at the moment, 17 Draconis netted me 750 millions and the rank of Rear Admiral. And it is a testament to the stupid grind that I will not upgrade my 'Vette until after the new patch, when I don't have to do stupid missions to get some even more stupid 80 cr commodity.

What rank did you start at? Recruit?

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Mr. Crow posted:

I think it's more an issue with procedural generation than open world. Nobody plays X for the campaign and freelancer, IWar, etc all had a lot of stuff to do outside the story.

It's a pretty common occurrence in procedural generation games though, they spend so much time trying to get it right and fix little bugs you don't have time for anything else. See no man's sky.

I'm actually drawing a blank for any good proc gen games besides a few casual and arcadey games.

I think there's definitely an issue with how Fdev is handling the nature of the game they've built. Things like Sothis/Ceos long-hauling and the 17 Drac spam were missed opportunities to build on player interaction with the universe, where they treated emergent gameplay as a bug or exploit. Sothis/Ceos long-hauling easily fits into the universe. 17 Drac could have easily been highlighted in the GalNet stuff: "Hostilities explode in 17 Draconis war as mercenary Commanders flood system". These sorts of things can act as hooks for building new mechanics and/or features, or act as barometers for your playerbase. A rare case where I'd say to take a page out of CCP's book and loosen the leash on the players a bit, and just roll with the flow.

Game's still fun, though. :shobon:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

sensitivepigeon posted:

What rank did you start at? Recruit?

I was Lieutenant last time 17 Draconis was bountiful. Went up to Post Commander and then nearly went insane trying to progress the normal way. Skimscumming gave me the last 75% progress I needed, together with donations after the skimmer missions waned away.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Einbauschrank posted:

:same:

When is their patch coming out anyway?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Zest posted:

I think there's definitely an issue with how Fdev is handling the nature of the game they've built. Things like Sothis/Ceos long-hauling and the 17 Drac spam were missed opportunities to build on player interaction with the universe, where they treated emergent gameplay as a bug or exploit. Sothis/Ceos long-hauling easily fits into the universe. 17 Drac could have easily been highlighted in the GalNet stuff: "Hostilities explode in 17 Draconis war as mercenary Commanders flood system". These sorts of things can act as hooks for building new mechanics and/or features, or act as barometers for your playerbase. A rare case where I'd say to take a page out of CCP's book and loosen the leash on the players a bit, and just roll with the flow.

Game's still fun, though. :shobon:

A Thousand times this.

Wishing the game was better =/= hating the game

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Zest posted:

they treated emergent gameplay as a bug or exploit

In both 17 Draconis and Sothis there were bugs submitted by the playerbase. The players, or at least the ones Fdev listens to, back the game's direction 100%. I would imagine they see the whole thing as a win/win - no need for more content and everyone loves them for increasing the grind.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Turn glitches into game elements, GunZ and Tribes wouldn't have existed without them :(

Zest
May 7, 2007

Mailer posted:

In both 17 Draconis and Sothis there were bugs submitted by the playerbase. The players, or at least the ones Fdev listens to, back the game's direction 100%. I would imagine they see the whole thing as a win/win - no need for more content and everyone loves them for increasing the grind.

Which is sad :saddowns:

It's like a tabletop RPG where everything looks and feels great, but the GM is having a massive existential crisis over whether his campaign is grog-approved by his old friend from college whose sole contribution to the table is edition-warring and trying to recreate the game he played in his youth. While the players just want to get on with the game and actually go play.

I don't think any reasonable players are going to crucify FDev for making the game MORE fun.

i hope... :sigh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zest posted:

I don't think any reasonable players are going to crucify FDev for making the game MORE fun.

i hope... :sigh:

Yes, quite. That's also the key issue unfortunately.

See: every thread where ship transfers or whatever are discussed, SEPP having a meltdown because they now have benevolent Russian overlords, etc.

Today's paint job is a chromed.... Cobra Mk 4 :negative:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 18, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DancingShade posted:

Today's paint job is a chromed.... Cobra Mk 4 :negative:
Wasn't that friday's?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pilchenstein posted:

Wasn't that friday's?

Oh I thought it was a Mk 3 that day. Whoops!

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I cleaned a year of dust off my Cobra IV to see if it was worth making shiny and chrome but it's still a :mediocre: fat rear end I guess.

Is there anything left to take from 17 Drac, or is it well and truly over?

e: Has the KWS been changed over the last year? When I use it, I hear a new negative-sounding tone and haven't seen any added value to bounties lately.

Sard fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 18, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DancingShade posted:

Oh I thought it was a Mk 3 that day. Whoops!
I'm hoping for the wireframe Mk3 at some point.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zest posted:

Patching these money-making tricks is fine if the rest of the game provides enough progress -- or enough other distractions. Nobody should need a Cutter on day one, but it should also not take multiple years of tedium to earn. On the other hand, I think having more of a "story" layer would go a long way toward distracting people who obsess over buying ships. They look at the missions, see that nothing pays well, and assume, "If I just had a better ship, this would all be easy and fun." But diminishing rewards just make the larger ships equally frustrating for ten times the cost. In other games, you play for the story, the missions, the camaraderie, the boss fights, the exploration... Elite needs those elements so you don't focus on the grind(s).

I've been whining for ages about how even a veneer of plot threads can go a long way in these games, and Frontier should just hire a writer to churn out silly mission text and templates for them to plug into the mission board. Stellaris did that recently, too. But at this point, when they have to issue a patch just to nerf Sothis/Ceos/17Drac type payouts, I'm wondering if the code can't even support modular adjustments like that.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Herb Dington posted:

Wishing the game was better =/= hating the game

I agree with this. I think it's also important to keep in mind that the 80s/90s Elite and Frontier weren't actually very good games. They were amazing tech demos, and way ahead of their time in their use of procedural generation and 3D vector projection, but especially Elite was really frustrating to play. If you ever had ships spawn right in your face while trying to dock, you know what I mean. Or when your ship went blammo because the mail slot covered the entire screen on the last few frames and you mis-guesstimated the rotation rate. Or the sucker punch it gave you when you'd finally ground out the credits for your first military laser and took the Trumbles bait instead because it sounded interesting, and those things wobbled around in your view until you could think of the one way to get rid of them.

And Frontier... I loved that game, but I mostly just did things like sitting in my Eagle listening to the wind while looking at the stars and day/night cycle, flying through the shadow of Jupiter, etc. I never got myself a Clipper, because the core game mechanic was just too monotonous. It was nice having the expensive ships there for scale though, and knowing that it was theoretically possible to get one, just like you could theoretically travel to the other side of the galaxy if you really felt like it.

Now. E:D is vastly better in almost every way. The graphics is good, it has an amazing galaxy map/route planner, the sound design and voice acting is on point, and the cockpit controls hit the immersion vs. learning curve sweet spot IMO. Dogfighting is fun, and the AI is decent. There's lots of attention to detail, apparent in the fits and starts of the hangar hydraulics, traffic control advisory, voice comms filter, etc. There are more things to do than in any of the previous games. FD went extra miles with joystick and VR support. It even has multiplayer, so you can play with friendly goons. The networking issues will hopefully be fixed, and there are more expansions coming.

So: Life is pretty good. It could've been another Kickstarter nostalgia boondoggle, but FD actually delivered. If you're getting frustrated trying to grind out ranks and ships and stuff, consider playing the game differently, or even just less until the urge comes back.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I've been whining for ages about how even a veneer of plot threads can go a long way in these games, and Frontier should just hire a writer to churn out silly mission text and templates for them to plug into the mission board. Stellaris did that recently, too. But at this point, when they have to issue a patch just to nerf Sothis/Ceos/17Drac type payouts, I'm wondering if the code can't even support modular adjustments like that.

Yeah, a bit more plot, or the illusion of plot even, would help. '84 Elite came with a nice, thick manual full of lore, and joked about selling wristwatches to insectoid hive colonies, generation ships sent out hundreds of years ago with which contact was forbidden ('cause learning about the subsequent invention of FTL travel would break them, I guess), etc. Some of the things might''ve been in the game, but most probably weren't. Your imagination did the work anyway.

Manuals aren't really a thing anymore, but I could definitely see long, multi-step quests, potentially with branches triggered by various game events, culminating in some kind of reward like a tricked-out ship. And less contrived fetch quests, i.e. time-limited contract work with scaled payout/varied tasks instead of one-off "fetch 1 + random() % 20 sprockets".

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

http://plays.tv/video/5855d3bfbe438b1b89/i-want-to-get-off-mr-pythons-wild-ride

:stare:

Zest
May 7, 2007

Dear god it's beautiful. The last bit is perfect :magical:

*Sees Python lazily scoot out of what's left of a Conda it rammed*
:magical: "... Did you just..?"
Smitty: "Hmm?"

:perfect:

Zest fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 18, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Lol, I started doing the same thing in my corvette the past few weeks. It's very effective and not that hard to steer once you've made contact.

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?

Sard posted:

Is there anything left to take from 17 Drac, or is it well and truly over?

I can confirm Drac is STILL giving $$$ despite the rumors. I went from 20k last night to 158k this morning and it's absolutely ridiculous

edit: Also if you take an anaconda and skip the "kill yourself" you can get nice engineer rewards!

sensitivepigeon fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 18, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It was kind of a pain in the rear end but gotta say grinding out R5 Dirty Drives was so worth it :magical:

Also heavily modded powerplant means I can use an A-rated KWS for the first time like ever.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 18, 2016

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

sensitivepigeon posted:

I can confirm Drac is STILL giving $$$ despite the rumors. I went from 20k last night to 158k this morning and it's absolutely ridiculous

edit: Also if you take an anaconda and skip the "kill yourself" you can get nice engineer rewards!

I was still getting the missions yesterday, but had to go hang out in the RES to find mission targets and that took a while.

The skimmers on the planet was replaced with a sole Viper.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
17 Draconis seems to be on the verge of is back in civil war. One side says that they are in a civil war, while our friends at jet bridge simply say they are wanting us to destroy the other guys' ships to gain rank.

e: 17 Draconis Alliance is at Civil War with The Order. While you will not get Federation rank, you can still make a lot of credits. Take missions from the order, go to the base and kill skimmers just like before. :regd08:

Apple Craft fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 18, 2016

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It was kind of a pain in the rear end but gotta say grinding out R5 Dirty Drives was so worth it :magical:

Also heavily modded powerplant means I can use an A-rated KWS for the first time like ever.

Why bother with an A-rated KWS ?, I like getting really close (spitting distance) before I pick a fight so range isn't a factor (for me).

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Quick question on engineer crap: do modifications stack or does each mod start from the baseline stats?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Hexenritter posted:

Quick question on engineer crap: do modifications stack or does each mod start from the baseline stats?

They go off of baseline, basically overwriting any previous modification you had.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Natsuumi posted:

They go off of baseline, basically overwriting any previous modification you had.

If you die, does the mod go away when you re-buy?

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Turmoil posted:

Delete that post before Frontier sees it and likes it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Why bother with an A-rated KWS ?, I like getting really close (spitting distance) before I pick a fight so range isn't a factor (for me).

Because it's something to do whilst getting in range?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Turmoil posted:

If you just re-buy the ship at the regular insurance price, the mods are included. If you buy a new ship and new modules, those come without modifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Because it's something to do whilst getting in range?

just get in range and kill them, why are you waiting. feel the ship spin, watch their lights go out as the hull rips apart, it's not like you do a RES for money

or is this the immersion thing I keep hearing about

• Locked thread