Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Filthy Casual posted:

Some people just hate fun.

Movie was fun. There was robots and chinamen and space explosions and darth vaders and I wanted to eat that ladies rear end. A++ would see again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Bum the Sad posted:

Movie was fun. There was robots and chinamen and space explosions and darth vaders and I wanted to eat that ladies rear end. A++ would see again.

Oh, I was agreeing with you, I meant the other guy hated fun. Jyn is a cool and righteous babe, but Baze, Chirrut and K2 did it for me.

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013
--wrong thread--

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

Hahaha, N-word Please! Nobody else remembers Episode 2, not even the people who made Episode 2.

Anyway, the original designers were murdered by Vader in episode 3. The team tasked with building it could easily have changed things around, refined them, whatever.

This was the only thing I didn't like about Rogue One, because Krennic mowing down Galen's coworkers not just felt cliched evil, but dude, what if you needed to build more of these things in case one blows up or something?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Filthy Casual posted:

Oh, I was agreeing with you, I meant the other guy hated fun. Jyn is a cool and righteous babe, but Baze, Chirrut and K2 did it for me.

I know you were. I was agreeing with you.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

wizard on a water slide posted:

I think there's too many of them. Unlike the films of a trilogy, which can take their time introducing, developing, and resolving characters over 6+ hours, this kind of one-off has to do it just like any other film, but it still has an ensemble like Star Wars. They really should've focused on Jyn and Cassian and their growing relationship/differing values (which I don't necessarily mean romantically, but if they wanted to go that route it would've made it seem more natural), the cool kung fu Force monk (who's a really interesting and striking character), and Krennick, the film's antagonist. Every line and scene that involves the big dude with the gun or the wacky (?) Imperial pilot distracts from the characters whose development actually matters to the film.

It feels like the first act was at one point at feature film length, and then they hastily cut out everything that wasn't directly plot-related. All the dialogue was super functional.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wonder if a reveal that her necklace was made from a Kyber crystal was thrown out with the other cuts.

No, it's mentioned. She holds it up and looks at it and stuff (her mom gives it to her and is like "trust the force"). I thought it was going to wind up being pertinent to the plot but I guess it was just a Good Vibes Necklace.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wonder if a reveal that her necklace was made from a Kyber crystal was thrown out with the other cuts.

It actually really bugs me because the reshoots are super obvious, mostly from all the trailer material. The whole tie fighter scene is COMPLETELY different (tie fighter on the platform).

The blind chinaman says her necklace is kyber when he first meets her in the town square.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Bum the Sad posted:

The blind chinaman says her necklace is kyber when he first meets her in the town square.

In addition, Chirrut is part of the radicals who have stealing the kyber crystals from the Empire. He could smell it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I really liked it. I was glad to see how it expanded the film universe.

My favorite parts:
-The variety of ships that showed up and fit the era. I was delighted to see a Hammerhead Corvette show up, I thought that was a awesome nod to KOTOR.
-Y-Wings! Plus the new fighters that showed up in the final battle fit in fine. It looked like the Imperials were using TIE Interceptor prototypes. Awesome to see veterans from the Death Star trench run show up.
-Portraying the Rebellion as a variety of factions that didn't always agree. It was neat to see how some Rebellion leaders who were on the fence were rightfully cowed by the idea of a planet killer and wanted to surrender.
-Creativity with how the Death Star appeared and was used on low power. I liked how it wasn't always flying vertically.
-I liked how the Rebels weren't portrayed as having any sort of parity with the Empire, and when Darth Vader's reinforcements showed up the remaining fleet died instantly. I was glad the Imperials were consistently shown as competent and didn't have cheap laugh deaths.
-The main cast was excellent and I was surprised they all died.
-K-2SO was lots of fun. I liked how he was terrible at anything protocol.

Some low points:
-Wish they had done more with Forest Whitaker. They mentioned how he was too extremist for the Rebellion, but we didn't see how. Maybe show his men bombing an Imperial ship with civilians onboard?
-Chirrut Îmwe (the blind warrior) didn't fit in well. His character was strange and felt like a late addition to the movie, he didn't interact much with the main cast and his death scene was cliche.

Overall fantastic.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-Wish they had done more with Forest Whitaker. They mentioned how he was too extremist for the Rebellion, but we didn't see how. Maybe show his men bombing an Imperial ship with civilians onboard?
-Chirrut Îmwe (the blind warrior) didn't fit in well. His character was strange and felt like a late addition to the movie, he didn't interact much with the main cast and his death scene was cliche.

While I could have used more Saw Gurrera, he was shown mind-raping an Imperial pilot who defected to deliver Galen's message about destroying the Death Star. It was an even more extreme measure than what Kylo Ren did to Poe and Rey. Chirrut was a force conduit, had the best line in the movie, and the plan doesn't work without him. He also called out Cassian's initial intent re: Galen, which led to conflict between him and Jyn. Also, he and Baze were cute together.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I also really appreciated that the Rogue One does more than pretty much any other movie to establish "the Force" as a religious element outside of the Jedi/Sith, through Jyn's relationship with her mother and the inclusion of the guardians from the Kyber Temple.

It's one of those things that helps to develop the horror of the purges that the Empire is carrying out post-prequels and through the OT. It's not just about killing off the Jedi - they're also culling an entire religious group. It also gives a little more context for Han's later description of the now-dead "hokey religion" that adherence to the Force has become in ANH.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I liked how Chirrut Îmwe mentions that the Force darkens around those with intent to kill and then later when we see Vader go whole hog he literally causes the entire ships hallway to black out.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I liked the part where Vader's hips sashayed as he walked, it made me think they had Charlize Theron doing the body work.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I love how much of a fuckup Forest Whitaker's character turns out to be. Galen expected him to mentor his daughter and instead he got galaxy's worst guardian: "lost" her at 16, hosed off to train mujahideen, sniff gas and torture dudes with a hentai monster.

Same goes for Krennic. We are used to two types of Imperial officers in the movies: either determined cold bastards in the Tarkin mold, or screeching neonazi nerds in Hux and his crew. Krennic is a bumbling careerist who does not give a poo poo about results, the war or Empire in general - he just wants his cushy position and a big office on a Death Star. Motherfucker only cares about putting a good show to Palpatine and Vader! Perfect counterpart to the rebels in this movie, who are all about ideals and self-sacrifice. Probably closer to historical nazis too. It is a bit refreshing, really - big movies these days, especially superhero poo poo, prefer fanatics as villains, and here we have a bureacrat trying to deal with infosec failure.

Loved the movie in general, got massive chills when rebel fleet jumped in and delivered best 30 minutes in blockbuster movies since Fury Road.

I hope the negative response to Tarkin will put Disney's attempts to turn back time with CGI people to rest. The 70s haircuts and staches on rebel officers do way more to evoke the New Hope memories than the Jedi Rocks-rear end Cushing.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 17, 2016

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fatherboxx posted:

I love how much of a fuckup Forest Whitaker's character turns out to be. Galen expected him to mentor his daughter and instead he got galaxy's worst guardian: "lost" her at 16, hosed off to train mujahideen, sniff gas and torture dudes with a hentai monster.

Same goes for Krennic. We are used to two types of Imperial officers in the movies: either determined cold bastards in the Tarkin mold, or screeching neonazi nerds in Hux and his crew. Krennic is a bumbling careerist who does not give a poo poo about results, the war or Empire in general - he just wants his cushy position and a big office on a Death Star. Motherfucker only cares about putting a good show to Palpatine and Vader! Perfect counterpart to the rebels in this movie, who are all about ideals and self-sacrifice. Probably closer to historical nazis too. It is a bit refreshing, really - big movies these days, especially superhero poo poo, prefer fanatics as villains, and here we have a bureacrat trying to deal with infosec failure.

Loved the movie in general, got massive chills when rebel fleet jumped in and delivered best 30 minutes in blockbuster movies since Fury Road.

I hope the negative response to Tarkin will put Disney's attempts to turn back time with CGI people to rest. The 70s haircuts and staches on rebel officers do way more to evoke the New Hope memories than the Jedi Rocks-rear end Cushing.

yeah. i agree. i like that Whitaker's character basically runs space ISIS and he is basically half way to being darth vader physically. then he dies muttering in a cave when the mother of all bunker busters fucks up his holy city and then his shithole insurgent compound. I wish he was in it more but i like the stuff thats implied.

yeah i like krennic for the same reasons.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BigglesSWE posted:

The theatre actually shook as their first steps were heard. It was awesome.

I think the guy next to me practically poo poo a brick when the AT-ST turned up during that street fight. Got to admit its angry little cockpit face was weirdly effective for how silly it is.

Also, I appreciated the single reactor laser fire of the Death Star. Seeing it destroy individual cities like that made the scale of its power a little easier to imagine, and made the weapon seem more effective as a result. Blowing up a planet is scary but even as a kid I never felt like it was a big deal because of how distant we were from the destruction.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
I sorta liked the whole thing, though the music was a bit meh

I like the fact that the rebels are a bunch of terrorists who just wreck poo poo. I always imagined the alliance like that. I also like the fact that when a kinetic point of battle resolves the terrorists chuck a suicide fleet in to support their off brand suicide mission. Then they ram a specifically designed corvette into a star destroyer. Would have been better if they packed explosives, I understand sensitivities.

I was a touch surprised that spacecraft can transition into hyperdrive in an atmosphere, let alone a gravity well... This was an issue for me considering the departures in the Empire Strikes Back , evacuating Hoth, (plus the whole Interdector class destroyer thing) thought about it for a while and realised that my work as a pilot gives me insight into this. If you have a 1% chance of smearing yourself across the galaxy when you activate hyperdrive in a gravity well/atmosphere, no pilot worth their salt will take that chance.

You only do that when you need to get out now!

Good movie, go watch it.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

As a Fantasy Flight Star wars tabletop junkie, I was so happy seeing Y-Wings actually doing bombing runs and so much variety in the vehicles and weapons in the reb and imperial arsenal. The movie itself was kind of like the writers playing through a WEG adventure. Things like ion attacks disabling a star destroyer is such a big part of games like X-Wing and Tie Fighter it was incredible to see it outside of the one scene in Empire. I'll admit, I was fully marking out when Jyn was being transported in a goddamned Juggernaut

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/16/13981128/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-easter-eggs
Neat detail: Red 5 eats it over Scarif, so that Bigg's farmhand buddy can claim the callsign later

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So does Red 2, at a certain point. They don't call it out but I definitely noticed a X-Wing with two red slashes on the s-foil getting blown up during one of the space shots.

Fits with Wedge's "look at the size of that thing" seeing as he wouldn't have seen the Death Star over Scarif.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 17, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Cross-Section posted:

So does Red 2, at a certain point. They don't call it out but I definitely noticed a X-Wing with two red slashes on the s-foil getting blown up during one of the space shots.

Fits with Wedge's "look at the size of that thing" seeing as he wouldn't have seen the Death Star over Scarif.

Wow, that's some sharp observation right there. Again, makes sense that Wedge wasn't around Scarif.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

CGI sure has come a long way since 2005!

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-I liked how the Rebels weren't portrayed as having any sort of parity with the Empire, and when Darth Vader's reinforcements showed up the remaining fleet died instantly. I was glad the Imperials were consistently shown as competent and didn't have cheap laugh deaths.

Eh? The only thing I can remember was that one TIE-fighter pilot that is shown to be actually competent. Otherwise the movie is straight up imperial slaughter. Even the those black stormtroopers go down like chumps in the end. The only thing they have going for them are numbers.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rolling Scissors posted:

Eh? The only thing I can remember was that one TIE-fighter pilot that is shown to be actually competent. Otherwise the movie is straight up imperial slaughter. Even the those black stormtroopers go down like chumps in the end. The only thing they have going for them are numbers.

The blind guy prayed to the force so hard that the imperial infantry has it's accuracy hosed up forever and ever.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Smartest thing this movie does: bring Atomic Bomb imagery to the Death Star. It grounds the devastation in something we're all familiar with and its more horrifying and real because of it.

I appreciate the effort they put into making the Rebellion a varied force, sometimes in conflict with itself, but just like in TFA, we don't really learn enough to figure out whats going on. Whitaker's group is 'too militant'? In what way? Isn't the Rebel Alliance deploying force to fight the Empire? Or its not? There are times where it sounds like they haven't yet fought the Empire and are trying bureaucratic maneuvers (The bits from Bail Organa about going to the Senate...which has what power? to do what exactly?) but I find it hard to believe there haven't been skirmishes to that point yet when they've been hiding out in an armed camp for presumably years.

I didn't really get what the point of spending so much time on the Krennic character. It'd be one thing if there was more of a relationship between him and Jyn, but they don't really interact until the very end and its just a bunch of shooting at each other. I guess we're supposed to care about his career path within the Empire? The movie spends a lot of time concerned with that and I'm not really sure why.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mike N Eich posted:

Smartest thing this movie does: bring Atomic Bomb imagery to the Death Star. It grounds the devastation in something we're all familiar with and its more horrifying and real because of it.

Which leads me to question why they would bother to use the Death Star on Scarif if an ICBM (with some spacey bullshit for taste) would have been more than adequate?

I don't know why Cassian didn't bother to shoot Krennic for shits and giggles if nothing else. You're a rebel sniper, that guy is obviously important in the Empire, why not have a go even if you don't want to kill Jyn's dad anymore?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mike N Eich posted:

I didn't really get what the point of spending so much time on the Krennic character. It'd be one thing if there was more of a relationship between him and Jyn, but they don't really interact until the very end and its just a bunch of shooting at each other. I guess we're supposed to care about his career path within the Empire? The movie spends a lot of time concerned with that and I'm not really sure why.

Krennic was definitely a letdown for me, mainly due to the interest I had generated in the character from this shot in one of the teasers.

The white officer uniform, the cape, his posture, and brooding look brought some mystery and what I would hope was an interesting character. Nope. Just a career guy trying to get a leg up.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mike N Eich posted:

I think they were trying to build up his sense of betrayal so it's more climactic when the Big Death Eye stares him down before blasting margaritaville into oblivion. He was a fun character but there was an overall sense of, like "ok, so?" about him. They could've done more with the empire political scenes besides provide vague, useless backstory to things from the main trilogy that we can pretty much intuit anyways.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Rolling Scissors posted:

I agree there is a great deal of stormtrooper death, but lots of rebels die at imperial hands:
-Surface guns peg a few X-wings in the canyon
-two X-wings crashed into shield
-the general in the X-wing got straight up shot down by a TIE
-so many rebels on the ground are mowed down they had to drop in more
-When Vader shows up a transport is vaporized instantly, a Nebulon-B lasts seconds, and the flagship is disabled.
-and of course the heroes are total party kill

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
The more I think about it....

I'm not sure if I'm relived or outraged that they showed two hours and thirteen minutes of non-stop Star Wars fanservice, and we didn't get a bathing suit scene on the beach planet with Jyn and Mon playing in the water.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

jisforjosh posted:

Krennic was definitely a letdown for me, mainly due to the interest I had generated in the character from this shot in one of the teasers.

The white officer uniform, the cape, his posture, and brooding look brought some mystery and what I would hope was an interesting character. Nope. Just a career guy trying to get a leg up.

I assumed he was a young Tarkin, completely disregarding the timeline. :downs:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rolling Scissors posted:

Uh, what? The rebel fleet ends up completely wiped out with only the one ship left effectively, all the rebel troops on the ground are slaughtered... It's very much get the plans at all costs, and the costs are huge

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Mike N Eich posted:

Whitaker's group is 'too militant'? In what way? Isn't the Rebel Alliance deploying force to fight the Empire?

We don't see much directly other than the brain rape slug, but the overall imagery is very much Fallujah in space. Aliens in burqas, ambushing patrolling tanks, ersatz RPGs, etc. In 2016 there's enough distance that it's basically just flavor, but if this were 2005 this movie could not possibly have been made without wild changes in setting. At any rate, I think we're meant to assume that Saw's group is maybe just a couple beheadings from being Al Qaeda in Jedah.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Captain von Trapp posted:

We don't see much directly other than the brain rape slug, but the overall imagery is very much Fallujah in space. Aliens in burqas, ambushing patrolling tanks, ersatz RPGs, etc. In 2016 there's enough distance that it's basically just flavor, but if this were 2005 this movie could not possibly have been made without wild changes in setting. At any rate, I think we're meant to assume that Saw's group is maybe just a couple beheadings from being Al Qaeda in Jedah.

And that Forest Whitaker has gone so far over the line he's become a pound-shop Darth Vader. Might have been nice to show him going over that line somehow, but I imagine that's quite difficult to do without turning your PG-13 family film into something else entirely.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
This movie feels like it got fed up with years of pointing out how star wars is a pro terrorist movie and tried to settle it by being like "no the terrorists from space middle east india are bad but the white terrorists are good" but they didn't really want to think of specific ways how that was true. The guy is extremist because his rebels wore turbans and were in a dusty market.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I thought it was more "he's an extremist because he's paranoid to the point of using a hentai mind-raping alien to make sure someone is telling the truth" which is, suffice to say, extreme.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm gonna be honest I totally forgot about the torture tentacle monster. I guess the point of that scene was that it showed how far Gerrerra has come, that he's a shifty and morally compromised character, but I expected it to have some effect on the pilot character (he said something about it driving people insane) but it didn't really.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Two questions: two storm troopers are chatting and mention something like "the T37s are being retired." What was that a reference to? Clone troopers being phased out?

In one of the trailers I think there was a scene of dozens of rebel pilots surrendering. I know the film was edited a lot, but where would that have fit in? When the flagship was captured?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I agree there is a great deal of stormtrooper death, but lots of rebels die at imperial hands:
-Surface guns peg a few X-wings in the canyon
-two X-wings crashed into shield
-the general in the X-wing got straight up shot down by a TIE
-so many rebels on the ground are mowed down they had to drop in more
-When Vader shows up a transport is vaporized instantly, a Nebulon-B lasts seconds, and the flagship is disabled.
-and of course the heroes are total party kill

Add to the fact that each and every one of those ships and pilots lost was probably a painful loss for the rebels, while it was probably the loss of the Death Star that was the first substantial loss for the Empire. Arguably, the data banks on Scarif was pretty important, but not important enough to stop Tarkin from blowing them apart.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

jisforjosh posted:

Just a career guy trying to get a leg up.

I expected a Thrawn-level super-genius and super-ratchet Grand Admiral, not an over-stressed construction manager fighting hologram leaks and demotions.

That's fine tho and pleasantly unexpected. He's important in a movie designed to expand the Rebels and Imperials if only to help highlight, along with Cassian and that old dead screaming X-Wing captain, that being a mid-level manager in either faction is a lovely loving Deal. Best to just use the contacts and imperial academy training, and take up smuggling if you get the sense the saga you're in isn't really about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Two questions: two storm troopers are chatting and mention something like "the T37s are being retired." What was that a reference to? Clone troopers being phased out?

In one of the trailers I think there was a scene of dozens of rebel pilots surrendering. I know the film was edited a lot, but where would that have fit in? When the flagship was captured?

It's a troop transport used during the clone was.

A variation on the same ones the rebels brought to the battle.

• Locked thread