Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zebia posted:

OK so I haven't used a healer besides Tyro with Curaga but that isn't going to cut it for the Guardian. So which of these relics would be ideal for that battle?
Wizer Rod (VII)/White Materia
Holy Rod (XII)/Intercession
Seraphim's Mace (IV)/Sync
Healing Staff (II)/Will of the White Mage
Elder Staff (III)/Renewing Rains
Mace of Zeus (V)/Pride of Tycoon

For reference, I'm running Shout, Vessel of Fate/Onion Sword, Keeper's Tome, Blood of Espers, Canister Shot, and RW Wall

If you're looking to brute force it with Summons/Ninja Magic/Diagas/etc, then Aerith or Minwu's BSB would be good for keeping you standing. Otherwise, just bring as many medicas as possible, honestly.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'd bring White Materia. That fight was the first time I ever had to RW a healer BSB (Relm's) and it helped a lot.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

How do Cid and Ramza compare as far as Shout duplicates on a physical team (I.E. which would you rather have and why?) Should I pull on the VII banner for Cid's Shout, or wait for OSBFest, or pull on Keeper's Choice 2?

Also, can anybody post a setup for the VI U+ fight? Trying to burn through the Ultimates before they go away but I don't have a good AoE team handy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Nightmare Necrophobe is down without a single medal lost.

The fight was annoying but it only took two tries. The first attempt I didn't pay attention to the doom timers, so that didn't go well. The second attempt went smoothly, even if Rosa did get KO'd at the start of phase 2 Her magic blink probably would've helped, but since I won without it, I guess it doesn't matter.

As usual, Onion Knight was the star of this fight, as the Powercharge combo did almost 20k altogether. And even though phase 2 Necrophobe is immune to breaks, Onion Slice still did around 35k damage every time I could get it off. Ramza even got to throw a bunch of stones for the finishing blow.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

IllegallySober posted:

How do Cid and Ramza compare as far as Shout duplicates on a physical team (I.E. which would you rather have and why?) Should I pull on the VII banner for Cid's Shout, or wait for OSBFest, or pull on Keeper's Choice 2?

Also, can anybody post a setup for the VI U+ fight? Trying to burn through the Ultimates before they go away but I don't have a good AoE team handy.

The big question is do you have someone else you'd rather be using as a support?

For example, if you have Faris BSB CID Shout wins by a landslide.

Basically, the decision tree boils down to: is there someone other than Ramza who I would rather have casting my breakdowns? Because if so, you can give Cid the Dragoon combo and bring that other breakdown user and come it way ahead.

If there isn't that someone, well, Ramza is pretty good at using breakdowns. So if you were going to bring him anyway, he should carry them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

IllegallySober posted:

Personally I think Cid's Shout-clone is inferior to Shout.
First, Cid can only equip daggers and spears, so he can be pretty hard to equip with synergy gear. Ramza has a much broader weapon (and armor) selection.
Second, Support 5 is useful for almost every fight, while Cid's ability loadout is not. For many hard fights, Mechanist is useless. Dragoon can always do some damage if you invest in the right abilities, but its ability to hit weaknesses and such is spotty. Plus, unless you're careful, jumping is slow. Not only can this cause your buffer to miss out on buffs (potentially making them easier to kill), but dragoons tend to build SB gauge slower. You don't really want your hastega/boostga falling off for a long time because of slow jumps/not getting hit enough from jumping. Cid can lifesiphon, which helps, but that's pretty "meh" DPS on a DPS character.
Third, you'll still be bringing a support, probably, which tend not to have very damaging SBs. You're giving up a damage SB on a DPS for a support SB. Not a huge deal, especially if you have another good stacking SB on your support, but worth considering.

That said, Cid's shout is better than no shout.

Also, do you need help with the Ultimate (the waves of soldiers) or the U+ (the Guardian robot)?

Edit:

CaptainPsyko posted:

The big question is do you have someone else you'd rather be using as a support?

Eh, I'd say it depends more on who you want to give your SB RMs to. One is going to your Shout-like. If you're bringing a Wall, or some stacking Atk&Mag breakdown or something, that probably gets the second one. That leaves Faris having to spend several rounds building up her SB bar to get her breakdowns on. I honestly find the full breakdown/non-stacking breaks support BSBs too awkward to really be worth using. Better to just bring a support with Full Break and the most important breakdown, and save your SB RMs for more unique effects.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 17, 2016

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

CaptainPsyko posted:

Basically, the decision tree boils down to: is there someone other than Ramza who I would rather have casting my breakdowns? Because if so, you can give Cid the Dragoon combo and bring that other breakdown user and come it way ahead.

If there isn't that someone, well, Ramza is pretty good at using breakdowns. So if you were going to bring him anyway, he should carry them.

Right now for 99% of content I run:

Cloud (OSB)
Celes (Indomitable Blade)
Yuffie (Clear Tranquil/Gauntlet)
Agrias (Cleansing Strike)
Tyro (SG)

I stick Multi Break and Curaja on Tyro, Shellga and Lifesiphon on Agrias, and use the top three as damage-dealers. I have Iga Blade for Ramza already but generally don't bring any Breakdowns to fights. However, I also struggle to deal damage to the higher-end Ultimates.

I feel like I should be able to come up with a better combination but since I don't yet have the OK Gauntlets or Shout, I RW Shout and pack Wall to every fight.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Schwartzcough posted:

First, Cid can only equip daggers and spears, so he can be pretty hard to equip with synergy gear. Ramza has a much broader weapon (and armor) selection.
Second, Support 5 is useful for almost every fight, while Cid's ability loadout is not. For many hard fights, Mechanist is useless. Dragoon can always do some damage if you invest in the right abilities, but its ability to hit weaknesses and such is spotty. Plus, unless you're careful, jumping is slow. Not only can this cause your buffer to miss out on buffs (potentially making them easier to kill), but dragoons tend to build SB gauge slower. You don't really want your hastega/boostga falling off for a long time because of slow jumps/not getting hit enough from jumping. Cid can lifesiphon, which helps, but that's pretty "meh" DPS on a DPS character.
Third, you'll still be bringing a support, probably, which tend not to have very damaging SBs. You're giving up a damage SB on a DPS for a support SB. Not a huge deal, especially if you have another good stacking SB on your support, but worth considering.

Also, do you need help with the Ultimate (the waves of soldiers) or the U+ (the Guardian robot)?

Okay, this makes sense. I was worried about synergy equipment loadout and skill loadout. Probably better to wait and see if Shout shows up on the OSB banner and if not, I'll try my luck on Keepers Choice and see what happens.

The waves of soldiers was the fight I was asking about, I'm not to the Guardian yet, sorry if I used the wrong designation. Although I'll take strategy for either.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gently caress you Kefka, brought Selphie and Yuna, spammed Miracle and Dreamstage while Pecil and Edgar beat the poo poo out of him and Ramza cheered everyone on.

Pecil with R2 Saint Cross after his BSB fires is pretty scary :stare: Tifa and Squall's BSBs don't really stack up, I need more BSBs :swoon:

(Tiny Bee does not count)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Schwartzcough posted:

See but.

gently caress Ramza. :v:

Cid is a much cooler character.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

See but.

CidMinfilia is a much cooler character.

Guess who also gets a shout-alike soon :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

If you've played XIV at all you wouldn't call Minfillia cool. :colbert:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Until Ramza gets his Butt-pants Dress Record, Cid wins. Seriously, when is this coming DENA?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Guess who also gets a shout-alike soon :v:
Wait, what? It has a +50% boostga but it's not really a shout without hastega. Otherwise we'd be talking about Quina's shout-like :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Wait, what? It has a +50% boostga but it's not really a shout without hastega. Otherwise we'd be talking about Quina's shout-like :v:

Which we have in the past. :v: Cid's doesn't give Hastega, either, does it?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

If you've played XIV at all you wouldn't call Minfillia cool. :colbert:

i've just seen her sprite and i still wouldn't call her cool

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

Which we have in the past. :v: Cid's doesn't give Hastega, either, does it?

Cid's is an exact Shout clone.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
XIV's just around the corner but I decided I really wanted to try for something new from VI.

:bubblewoop: Yes, I can live with this, comfortably. My first Runic and OSB!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Hogama posted:

XIV's just around the corner but I decided I really wanted to try for something new from VI.

:bubblewoop: Yes, I can live with this, comfortably. My first Runic and OSB!
Wow holy poo poo you got two of the three grand prizes on that banner

and also edgar's OSB

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Wave 1: Magitek Laser Chance 9.5%

Okay, that isn't so bad.

Enter battle
Magitek Laser wipes Garnet for 5500
S/L
Magitek Laser wipes Vincent for 5900
S/L
Magitek Laser wipes Rinoa for 5400

aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, every other move is locked until its 3rd turn. It's 100% Laser.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Wow holy poo poo you got two of the three grand prizes on that banner

and also edgar's OSB
Hey it's still "the AOE" one :v:
Relm's definitely shot up to one of my top healers, though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pichupal posted:

Unless I'm reading it wrong, every other move is locked until its 3rd turn. It's 100% Laser.

Well, I guess I didn't read far enough down the page, huh? :negative:

That's okay, I think I'm giving up. All I wanted was the MC3 lode but it's not worth the aggravation.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

See but.

Cid is a much cooler character.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

As is often the case, Ramza speaks the truth even if the masses are not prepared to hear it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Prav posted:

i've just seen her sprite and i still wouldn't call her cool

It's hard for anyone other then the player character to be cool in FF14. Like Thancred did a matrix dodge once I think and Yshtola and Yda almost pulled off an assassination ambush of a lovely character but thats about it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

It's hard for anyone other then the player character to be cool in FF14. Like Thancred did a matrix dodge once I think and Yshtola and Yda almost pulled off an assassination ambush of a lovely character but thats about it.
Alisaie legitimately owns and I can't wait for her to show up as the XIV cast's spellblade.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
They should add Greg. :v:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

I would whale so hard for Hildibrand.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alisaie legitimately owns and I can't wait for her to show up as the XIV cast's spellblade.

I can't wait to see her show up as a Magitek Knight Red Mage when Stormblood comes out.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
100 gem'd a second Wizer Rod. Umm, okay, I guess.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I wound up putting it off to the very last minute (as in, the time ticked over and the event officially ended during the fight) but I finally managed to clear the Guardian, and under Cid Mission conditions, to boot.

The secret to the successful attempt was to change up my loadout so that all my damage dealers had water elemental attacks to hit its weakness with to save my lightning element hones to break the Barrier, and to RW for Wall instead of something to boost damage output.

I may have missed out on the final fight, but I'm more than satisfied to walk away with another MCIII and two Major Lightning Orbs after the bullshit that was the first Ultimate fight for this event. :toot:

And dollar pull for second VII banner was more 3* vendor trash. C'est la vie.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

100 gem - Aeris Wizer Rod BSB. That's my first healing BSB. Won't keep me from pulling on FF14 (I want a medica to go with Yshtola's Stoneskin II so she can run wrath and be my forever A-team white mage), but gives me options if I want to roll on a good OSB fest banner instead of spending all mythril.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Got the Green Megaphone for Cait Sith :toot:.

That makes him my Support* 5 for this realm, and combining the 5 relics I have for VII actually makes a decent team.

Cloud (BSB)/Zack (Hastega)/Yuffie's (AoE Blink)/Cait (Support/Regen)/Aerith(Reraise)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
3* 100 gem pull for me again! I'm 3/48, with two of those three being basically rosetta stones; outdated no-SB generic trash. Thanks game.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Whoever decided spammable AoE Stop was cool and good needs to sit in the corner and think about what they've done

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Buff Lucky Draw tomorrow

Also I totally forgot to finish FF6 woops. Got far enough to get Leo's second Crystal and the accessory is a repeat I already have, so I'm not too torn up about it. I don't know if I got the mc3 Lode or not, how many have we gotten so far?

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Ah, man, finals got in the way of me finishing the FFVI event. Oh well :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Noooo, please come back soon multiplayer.

• Locked thread