Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jewmanji posted:

The Thin Red Line is actually a much better movie (maybe the best war movie ever) explicitly because it doesn't for one second pretend that it's anything but a constant and unending nightmare. There's enough media out there that constantly glamorizes war, we don't need another movie that papers over how it's the most horrific thing that ever happens on this planet. If your reason for liking a movie is "cool Sniper shoots guy in the face through his scope omg" then you need to grow up.

Paths of Glory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

The Thin Red Line is actually a much better movie (maybe the best war movie ever) explicitly because it doesn't for one second pretend that it's anything but a constant and unending nightmare. There's enough media out there that constantly glamorizes war, we don't need another movie that papers over how it's the most horrific thing that ever happens on this planet. If your reason for liking a movie is "cool Sniper shoots guy in the face through his scope omg" then you need to grow up.

Society as a whole, especially Americans, love to see people be brutally murdered and maimed. We find it entertaining and exciting while pretending we don't.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

A Deacon posted:

Hacksaw Ridge definitely gave Saving Private Ryan a run for its money as the best WW2 movie depicting realistic, brutal battles.

I disagree. I thought the movie was good enough, but the battle scenes felt a lot more "spammy" and generic to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

I was helping watch some kids a few days ago and we put on the Minions movie to pacify them. I only half watched it (mostly because these two kids were hellions and the one made repeated attempts to bite through an extension cord) and I haven't seen any of the Despicable Me movies, but drat the minions movie was weird. It takes place in England in the 60s or some poo poo, the plot was strange and meandering, and it had a few surprisingly dark moments. Some scientist got his neck snapped and died and all his future self versions winked out of existence one by one. There was also a gag where a guy is helping the villainess tighten her corset and the butler comes in and thinks they're loving (I think that's what they were going for?)

Anyway the kids loved it and it stopped them from murdering each other.

This is an accurate summary.

Dont watch dispicable me 2 though cause that movie has some bad values.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BigglesSWE posted:

I disagree. I thought the movie was good enough, but the battle scenes felt a lot more "spammy" and generic to me.

Some of them looked so ridiculous that they reminded me of Rambo 4. They did provide a wonderful contrast with the first part of the movie (before bootcamp).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Some of them looked so ridiculous that they reminded me of Rambo 4. They did provide a wonderful contrast with the first part of the movie (before bootcamp).

I'm not surprised considering this is a Mel Gibson film.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hey remember when that movie Storks had a trailer in this forum? I promptly forgot about it. Well my kid wanted to watch it last night and....... that movie is funny. One of the more under the radar animated flicks in a long time. It's also really pretty.

How the hell did that get so left behind?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Wolfpack sub is the only thing I remember from that trailer.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Jewmanji posted:

I don't agree with Zzulu about the Thin Red Line, but this sentiment is wrong as well. Liking a movie because it has cool action scenes is completely valid, and doesn't mean you are a child, and if it does that seems like a really boring approach to movies, and I don't want to grow up. People can like and appreciate movies for different reasons. I think appreciating both for their strengths is the best way to go if you are capable of it!

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

I said come in! posted:

I'm not surprised considering this is a Mel Gibson film.

I wasn't aware that Mel Gibson was known for Rambo-tier filmmaking. Fill us in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Wolfpack sub is the only thing I remember from that trailer.

It's funny and the Wolfpack Alpha and Beta are voiced by Key and Peele (but they don't get enough screen time).

Pigeon Toady is the best. He's like a German "bruh" ...

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Never forget...Vin Diesel was in Saving Private Ryan

https://youtu.be/FsSPZUxtV8U

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
yea but spoilers not for very long:angel:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

A Deacon posted:

He's responsible for an entire bucket of flashy, pandering, ultra-violent, historically inaccurate, poo poo-tier films.

So yeah, First Blood pt 2 and beyond is pretty spot-on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

Never forget...Vin Diesel was in Saving Private Ryan

https://youtu.be/FsSPZUxtV8U

Never Forgotten.

edit; :laffo: that clip uses music from The Thin Red Line, the better movie

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 16, 2016

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Never Forgotten.

edit; :laffo: that clip uses music from The Thin Red Line, the better movie

Journey to the Line is Hans Zimmers finest work

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Saw a special preview for Dunkirk before Rogue One tonight and it was WAAAAAY better at selling the movie than the trailer does. I'm hoping they put that online at some point.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yet another important animation trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k397HRbTtWI

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Proposition Joe posted:

Saw a special preview for Dunkirk before Rogue One tonight and it was WAAAAAY better at selling the movie than the trailer does. I'm hoping they put that online at some point.

Yeah, people were whooping and clapping after it was over. And the raid siren was super loud. Insanely good; people need to experience it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I can't help laughing every time I see the Passengers trailer
just the dumbest poo poo
but then I see the Collateral Beauty trailer
and I want to cry but it just hurts too much

(p.s. that british magical monster/kid into the wild poo poo looks straight garbo lmao)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Deacon posted:

We Were Soldiers is a good place to start. Apocolypto as well if you're into seeing a dude eat a boars ball sack, this is at the very beginning of the film, so you can stop after that because its the best part.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

I said come in! posted:

We Were Soldiers is a good place to start. Apocolypto as well if you're into seeing a dude eat a boars ball sack, this is at the very beginning of the film, so you can stop after that because its the best part.

Apocolypto is now equivalent to Rambo shoot-em-up films? Got it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

the Glengary Glen Ross joke at the end. Jesus.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

the Glengary Glen Ross joke at the end. Jesus.

Always Be Pooping? Crying?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I'm partial to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qfsMjASwTM.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jesus Christ. Ugh.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ammanas posted:

Journey to the Line is Hans Zimmers finest work

Oh, no doubt. I think his music for TTRL is the best original score I've ever heard.

My friend and I used to put that disc on then smoke a joint and try to play chess, poo poo got pretty intense.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zzulu posted:

Literally every action set piece in Saving Private Ryan is amazing, for its action

The storming of the beach and the huge invasion of that town near the end were both good straight up action setpieces. Yeah they showed how horrible war was but all those scenes were exciting and entertaining and more or less just felt like war scenes. Several movies have tried to replicate that stuff and failed miserably

The thin red line was mostly just dull
This is actually one of my favorite scenes in Saving Private Ryan now that I get what Speilberg was going for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7dmcHoODZI
The surrendering soldiers are speaking Czech saying that they aren't German and didn't kill anyone, which is accurate since the Nazis press ganged Czech's and Poles to fight for the army I really appreciate that this scene isn't explained fully because on its own its pretty hosed up regardless.

I prefer Band of Brothers to Saving Private Ryan, but that's a little unfair do to one being one movie and the other being a multiple episode miniseries.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 17, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

achillesforever6 posted:

I prefer Band of Brothers to Saving Private Ryan, but that's a little unfair do to one being one movie and the other being a multiple episode miniseries.

The episode that depicted the Brécourt Manor Assault (think it was the second) was pretty much on par with the action set pieces in Saving Private Ryan imo. I love that episode everytime I rewatch the series.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 17, 2016

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

An oddly more relaxed trailer for XXx 3: Slightly Cheaper Fast & Furious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Kro0ymASM

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It looks like Samuel L. Jackson's character no longer has the hair(cut) and the scar he had in the previous movies. I guess he really didn't want to spend much time in the make-up chair for his two minute cameo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Or, orrrrrrrrr.......he's a robot duplicate.

An xXxtreme robot duplicate.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
gettin a lil tired of the behind the back hooded DJ shot

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Gonz posted:

Or, orrrrrrrrr.......he's a robot duplicate.

An xXxtreme robot duplicate.

To the MaxXx!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zzulu posted:

The thin red line is barely a good movie and has no memorable scenes

The scene of them taking the hilltop had some of the most memorable visuals out of any war movie. Those shots of the slow moving cloud shadows over the rolling hills with them GI helmets cutting through the tall grass, that was some good stuff.

quote:

Coming to think of it, I don't like any of Terrence Malicks movies

Gross.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I liked Apocalypto - and Saving Private Ryan doesn't glamorize war. Those are my correct opinions of the day, my friends.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 18, 2016

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Lobok posted:

Always Be Pooping? Crying?

No, the line is still closing. but it's funny because babies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wizchine posted:

I liked Apocalypto - and Saving Private Ryan doesn't glamorize war. Those are my correct opinions of the day, my friends.

It doesn't glamorize war, it lionizes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It doesn't glamorize war, it lionizes it.

It presents war as a giant meat grinder where whoever survives does so through sheer luck more than anything else. I'd say the film lionizes the men who fought in it, but not war itself.

• Locked thread