Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aurubin posted:

It is bad. You're right. Smug but right. The problem is Perez has no appreciable electoral experience and is in the race solely because Obama wants him to be. After Tim Kaine and DWS, I'd rather not see anyone from the Obama camp in the running.

Yeah I'm fine with the symbolic break from Obama (although keep in mind that y'all are doing to him what y'all love to claim Gore did to Clinton: try to run away from a popular ex-president), but I also don't think Ellison winning a single House seat really sets the groundwork for a 3000-odd county organization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

It's like they're trying to fail as hard as possible

Obama has to think about his prospects as a board member of hedge funds from now on, supporting leftist leaders would be a blemish on the ol' CV

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

politicians tend to have genuine beliefs and advocate for what they believe, overall. pure power-hungry psychopaths go into business.

the upside of this is that you needn't be so cynical about 'lying politicians,' as the style has it

the downside of this is that obama and his ilk genuinely thought they were doing good sensible government and won't suddenly become communists now the elections are done with

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Peel posted:

politicians tend to have genuine beliefs and advocate for what they believe, overall. pure power-hungry psychopaths go into business.

the upside of this is that you needn't be so cynical about 'lying politicians,' as the style has it

the downside of this is that obama and his ilk genuinely thought they were doing good sensible government and won't suddenly become communists now the elections are done with

You don't have to be a full-blown psychopath to become corrupted by a habitual exposure to the world of lobbying and pushing back against the public interest.

A nomalisation of sociopathic behavior, if you will.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yeah I'm fine with the symbolic break from Obama (although keep in mind that y'all are doing to him what y'all love to claim Gore did to Clinton: try to run away from a popular ex-president), but I also don't think Ellison winning a single House seat really sets the groundwork for a 3000-odd county organization

Gore tried to distance himself from a popular sitting president, and no one argued Sanders or Hillary should do the same.

Not quite the same thing

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

He was never really in a position to "go after" Wall St. (he was doing voting rights at DoJ) but did implement the Fiduciary rule at DoL (Wall St. can't intentionally gently caress over its retirement clients) and the overtime rules

both of which will be unilaterally deleted on january 20

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Der Meister posted:

both of which will be unilaterally deleted on january 20

Guess both parties were the same the whole time :shrug:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Absolutely.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/ed_kilgore/status/809139761541763072

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Milquetoast centrism aside, Obama and his surrogates have been awful at messaging, and that translated into electoral failure and lack of enthusiasm. If you're not just trolling, energizing the base for more than just Presidential races is necessary. Having followed Ellison's career for a few years, I think he's capable of organizing a group to do that. Having followed Perez since his confirmation hearing, I do not think he's capable of that.

To undercut my whole argument, Perez supported the TPP. Isolating China is all well and good, but the costs are too high.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (the largest private sector union) have broken with AFL-CIO leadership and have endorsed Tom Perez for DNC Chair.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

No?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Maybe they were both bad, but two things being bad doesnt make them the same?

Just brainstorming here

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

drat it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Maybe they were both bad, but two things being bad doesnt make them the same?

Just brainstorming here

the republicans are there, so the democrats cant ever be bad, only good.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

hey whiksey what does ron paul have to say about this, i haven't gotten his newest newsletter yet

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

perez is more valuable as a lawyer/union advocate than a campaign organizer, you need people to pay some loving attention in the first place

and we all know what happened the last time they propped someone up based on qualifications alone :iamafag:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

perez is more valuable as a lawyer/union advocate than a campaign organizer, you need people to pay some loving attention in the first place

and we all know the last time we propped someone based on qualifications alone :iamafag:

i keep getting thrown off when i see "experience" thrown around as a point for perez, given that he has next to no relevant experience in the thing that matters most for the position: actually getting elected

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peel posted:

Thanks to the magic of capital investment, there's no reason you can't do both. In fact, being "a businessman" is now considered a positive qualifier for political office.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

I too love civil war! :buddy:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Did these guys at least have the decency to put out a ballot saying "Perez / no one / do not endorse" or was this just a leadership decision?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

He was never really in a position to "go after" Wall St. (he was doing voting rights at DoJ) but did implement the Fiduciary rule at DoL (Wall St. can't intentionally gently caress over its retirement clients) and the overtime rules
the SEC is an extension of the executive branch. the SEC chose to go after settlements where the financial institutions did not have to admit fault. in some of these settlements, judges wondered aloud why criminal charges were not sought for the alleged fraudulent behavior.

obama put goldman sachs alumni in his cabinet, was electorally funded heavily by wall st, bent over backwards to bail out wall st, did essentially nothing to help homeowners during the foreclosure crisis scandal, pushed quantitative easing which was the biggest gently caress you wall st trickle down, and did not seek criminal indictments for fraudulent behavior

obama was the wall st president hth please dont try to be an absurd liberal revisionist just b/c he's charismatic

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I would just read the article but the page has a bunch of really lovely javascript on it and my phonr is not good enough to handle the massive amount of popover ad code its running and it keeps throwing me back up to the to of the page

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm sorry, I though clearing the field of challengers for a coronation because It's His Turn was supposed to be bad now???

Ha

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if mccain was elected and did the same thing in regards to wall st and foreclosures that obama did, he would be universally reviled by democrats/liberals for his wall st corruption

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm sorry, I though clearing the field of challengers for a coronation because It's His Turn was supposed to be bad now???

You are right, they should have endorsed Buckley instead.

Also lol at the sum of the arguments for Perez basically amounting to "he doesnt seem too bad aside from a few significant things he is just pretending to be bad about, and a notable lack of relevant experience. Plus he is a familiar face and not a black muslim"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

i keep getting thrown off when i see "experience" thrown around as a point for perez, given that he has next to no relevant experience in the thing that matters most for the position: actually getting elected

Ellison has a track record of creating enthusism and winning in a working class rust belt district that should not be a place for a muslim democrat to do well.

Instead Obama and his cabal of yes men are trying to smother any attempt to even try new leadership, despite the current DNC losing 900 total seats in the last election.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I too love civil war! :buddy:

Cornell West was right, we're hosed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

You are right, they should have endorsed Buckley instead.

Also lol at the sum of the arguments for Perez basically amounting to "he doesnt seem too bad aside from a few significant things he is just pretending to be bad about, and a notable lack of relevant experience. Plus he is a familiar face and not a black muslim"

Perez represents all of the outwardly inoffensive yet deeply cynical politics that the Democratic party should be turning away from. Plus he looks like a corpse.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Did someone say arzy!??!!?!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Perez represents all of the outwardly inoffensive yet deeply cynical politics that the Democratic party should be turning away from. Plus he looks like a corpse.

He's also the type of low energy establishment DNC leader that will not create the grassroots involvement needed to reform the DNC.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

bump_fn posted:

Did someone say arzy!??!!?!

i'm thinking....arzy's

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/810176593029189634

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Der Meister posted:

hey whiksey what does ron paul have to say about this, i haven't gotten his newest newsletter yet

Cool post from 2004, bro

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

this poo poo is legit embarassing

meanwhile michael sheen has said he's leaving acting, moving back to his hometown in wales and getting involved in local politics there

the good sheen

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Hollywood elite, ladies and gentlemen. Clearly they are far too powerful.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm sorry that you're supporting Chuck Schumer's chosen candidate instead of a true friend to organized labor

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

comedyblissoption posted:

the SEC is an extension of the executive branch. the SEC chose to go after settlements where the financial institutions did not have to admit fault. in some of these settlements, judges wondered aloud why criminal charges were not sought for the alleged fraudulent behavior.

obama put goldman sachs alumni in his cabinet, was electorally funded heavily by wall st, bent over backwards to bail out wall st, did essentially nothing to help homeowners during the foreclosure crisis scandal, pushed quantitative easing which was the biggest gently caress you wall st trickle down, and did not seek criminal indictments for fraudulent behavior

obama was the wall st president hth please dont try to be an absurd liberal revisionist just b/c he's charismatic

Not sure what this has to do with Perez, chief

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Oh loving baby Jesus what loving idiot thought THIS would work?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm sorry that you're supporting Chuck Schumer's chosen candidate instead of a true friend to organized labor
why do you not want him to do the job he's really good at, namely lawyering

• Locked thread