Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dead Snoopy posted:

I prefer to think of it as a repudiation of American pop culture. It understands it isn't Shakespeare and instead of getting all emo about it or going up its own rear end creating a 'think man's action hero' like the early 1990s tried to do, it laughs at itself and becomes MORE outlandish because it understands the sense of camaraderie and outlandishness is what has made it so durable as a franchise.

This is 100% right. It also has just enough smarts to keep from being entirely cartoonish - it goes right up to the edge and then backs off ever so slightly.

They definitely know that the outlandish vibe is what people love. The bizarre dialogue from the first film is honestly one of the reasons I appreciate it so much. "No Crusts." is such a silly scene but because it's played almost straight, it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cefC0DPlHFQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The franchise could do better for women, though. Diversity of the cast is great and all but each of the films has music video shots of women's asses. And the women can only fight other women.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Lobok posted:

The franchise could do better for women, though. Diversity of the cast is great and all but each of the films has music video shots of women's asses. And the women can only fight other women.

This is true, it's still pretty chauvinistic in some ways. Most Hollywood won't have men strike women, unless it's Nic Cage doing it (for some reason), it's still a real taboo. The series definitely has some weirdness going on with being so sexualised but still trying to present certain women as more than sex objects. Mia is portrayed as a really great, kind person and good mother, but it's kind of hard to stomach when it's in a film with so much bikini b-roll added.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It treats the Female characters with names decent enough, but yeah. don't really need the random gratuitous dance scene with booty shaking interlude

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MacheteZombie posted:

But there's a runway that stretches an impossible distance! They parachute cars which is unrealistic! Vin diesel is a leading man, which is stupid!

I'm fine with all of those, but dragging that drat safe :argh:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dexo posted:

It treats the Female characters with names decent enough, but yeah. don't really need the random gratuitous dance scene with booty shaking interlude

I agree

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

howe_sam posted:

I'm fine with all of those, but dragging that drat safe :argh:

But it was awesome

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Lobok posted:

There you go overthinking it again.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Future generations of school children will write essays about The Fast and the Furious they way we had to about Beowulf. This is our epic poem.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Rock is contemplating a presidental run in 2020.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Future generations of school children will write essays about The Fast and the Furious they way we had to about Beowulf. This is our epic poem.

Future highschoolers are required to read aloud to the class selected passages from the work. "Thats how you stay rich" he says, nervously mispronouncing the ancient words that barely resemble a language let alone english to him.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

There's nothing wrong with women shaking their asses for the camera.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

A Deacon posted:

There's nothing wrong with women shaking their asses for the camera.

No poo poo, but isn't it mysterious how the male extras in these scenes are framed wearing expensive clothes, draped in women, and reveling in their power and prestige while the women fill up the frame with their tits and asses?

Are we going to pretend that there's not a power differential here?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No poo poo, but isn't it mysterious how the male extras in these scenes are framed wearing expensive clothes, draped in women, and reveling in their power and prestige while the women fill up the frame with their tits and asses?

Yes, human civilization is bad sometimes.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

Yes, human civilization is bad sometimes.

Human civilization isn't on trial here. Fast and Furious is. Try to keep up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Y'know, I said "music video shots of women's asses" but in a music video the women are dancing for the camera, just like the musicians are performing for the camera. In the movies though the women are characters who are at a street race, dancing or walking around, and it's our POV that gets up close and personal with their butts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

This problem can be solved by having close ups of dudes asses while wearing g-strings. Basically Michelle Rodriguez should set up her own Race Wars, for the ladies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vince MechMahon posted:

This problem can be solved by having close ups of dudes asses while wearing g-strings. Basically Michelle Rodriguez should set up her own Race Wars, for the ladies.

The Marvel movies have usually thrown some eye candy to the ladies.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It's almost as if action car movies appeal to a key demographic of hyper masculine 13-30 year olds who also like to look at chebs and butts and movies exist purely to make money rather than have some sort of progressive message 🤔

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

It's almost as if action car movies appeal to a key demographic of hyper masculine 13-30 year olds who also like to look at chebs and butts and movies exist purely to make money rather than have some sort of progressive message 🤔

It's almost like in a lot of ways F&F as a series DOES have a progressive message and that's why this stuff happening still feels out of place, as opposed to in the first few movies where your argument was valid.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
You can see the two dynamics clash in the Dubai scenes in 7, where mostly naked women covered in gold paint are juxtaposed with Ronda Rousey and women who totally aren't Qaddafi's amazons throwing down with Michelle Rodriguez.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Women are attracted to wealthy and powerful men. News at 11.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Welp

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's almost like in a lot of ways F&F as a series DOES have a progressive message and that's why this stuff happening still feels out of place, as opposed to in the first few movies where your argument was valid.

Just relax and enjoy the butts man.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx
The abundance of tits and asses is the only thing that makes this lovely franchise somewhat watchable.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

A Deacon posted:

The abundance of tits and asses is the only thing that makes this lovely franchise somewhat watchable.

You know you can find that online, right? You don't actually have to sit through 7 movies for it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A Deacon posted:

Women are attracted to wealthy and powerful men. News at 11.

Our top story: Smooth-brained anime virgins have descended on this thread to Voxsplain why two minutes of pandering to them in Car Superhero Movies is actually realistic and good.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The rock normalises PED abuse and enforces unrealistic male body image. Extremely damaging

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Our top story: Smooth-brained anime virgins have descended on this thread to Voxsplain why two minutes of pandering to them in Car Superhero Movies is actually realistic and good.

I'm not surprised how scantily clad women reveling in their sexuality makes "smooth-brained anime virgins" (as you so eloquently put it) such as yourself so uncomfortable.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A Deacon posted:

I'm not surprised how scantily clad women reveling in their sexuality makes "smooth-brained anime virgins" (as you so eloquently put it) such as yourself so uncomfortable.

Shut it down boys, he got us with the old "I know you are but what am I?" technique. There's no coming back from this one.

A Deacon
Nov 17, 2016

by exmarx

Vince MechMahon posted:

Shut it down boys, he got us with the old "I know you are but what am I?" technique. There's no coming back from this one.

Go join the religious right in suppressing female sexuality, loser.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I wanna say that Sexuality Is Not Bad and that we don't need less T+A, but instead T+A equality. I think "FF needs to do better" is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction - it's a very very homoerotic franchise.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, I mentioned that in this thread the other day. 2F2F being perhaps the gayest part of the franchise, due to the burning, but taboo, desire between Brian and Roman.

I don't think the series is devoid of hot boyz for the ladies to appreciate, I mean - Paul Walker was involved, it's just heavily tilted towards the male gaze. Maybe this time around Roman will find love and Dom & Hobbs will finally clear the air.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Trailer was crazy and I will watch whatever they produce for this series at this point. It might as well be an outlet for my addiction to car tom foolery.

2F2F does not get enough credit for taking itself completely unseriously. It also has the best one liners, and we would not have Tej or Roman without it. Thankfully they left the shittier side kicks behind.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I got super loving hype watching this trailer. I'm pretty sure I cheered outloud a couple of times.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

The Notorious ZSB posted:

2F2F does not get enough credit for taking itself completely unseriously. It also has the best one liners, and we would not have Tej or Roman without it. Thankfully they left the shittier side kicks behind.

2F2F is the only one I really don't like because it is the only one that treats the whole movie as a joke. It is interesting to me that 4 follows the same basic frame of 2, with them becoming drivers undercover for the villain, but treats it more seriously and uses that to reset the series.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
The second installment laid a necessary foundation for the tone of the humor from there onwards and we should all be grateful for how it has contributed to the series overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msBbeo0SKHI&t=11s

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, I'll bet getting the word 'bro' into a script that many times is really hard.

It's a fun film, but to me, it's the second weakest entry, after the fourth, which is neither interesting enough to be Tokyo Drift, nor fun eough to be Fast Five.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also the first roughhousing between Roman and Brian in 2F2F is the prototype for Dom and Hobbs grappling in 5 drenched with ten gallons of sweat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

Also, I'll bet getting the word 'bro' into a script that many times is really hard.

It's a fun film, but to me, it's the second weakest entry, after the fourth, which is neither interesting enough to be Tokyo Drift, nor fun eough to be Fast Five.

The best part of 4 is the street race which is the best straight up racing scene in the series.

• Locked thread