Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Thank you, I will give these a shot. Conquering Kilwa and Madagascar to get control of the Zanzibar node and those gold provinces has been on the to-do list for a while, but I just got a brand new border with the Ottomans so we'll see how things play out.

While you are locking down Zanzibar you should also try and steal trade power upstream of Zanzibar. Getting and developing (a little) the gold mines is also very helpful for income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Once you've finished locking down the Cape coast, it's also worth throwing colonists into some of the gray provinces in the interior near Kilwa/Mutapa since they have a decent chance at spawning gold.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Take Zanzibar, now take Malacca and the areas around it, feed it even more with the (newish) central African trade money too, you now have more money than Genoa. Religious and Exploration combine well for this. Actually, Religious just by itself is amazing for Ethiopia because you can Deus Vult all over everyone around you and you'll likely want the bonus to conversion anyway.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How viable is it to get Venetian Sea while going tall? I'm trying not to blob, other than vassalizing Byzantium and feeding them Ottoman land, but I feel like I might need to start colonizing or something if I expect to make bank and have a massive fleet that can pull off the achievement. Playing tall just doesn't seem like a viable option when you have a big goal like this. Even with the new trade league/trade city mechanics.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
One nice thing about the new Ages system is maybe they can give the New World a bit more of a fair representation. My new idea for accurately representing the major empires and civilizations in North and South America (especially Mesoamerica and the Andes) would be to give them at least feudalism at least and then implement institution decay while dealing with first contact and the resulting diseases. Jack up development costs and see if you can power through.

Speaking of which I need to give Sunset Invasion another attempt now that I've finished my chill Poland run.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

jpparker55 posted:

Yeah I figured this was a good strategy, have basically locked down the whole east coast for central/north America. The extra merchant from 10 province colonial nations is nice, I now have 7. Should I have them all directing trade or is it worth having 1 collect some trade?

It's around 1570, I have 4 colonial nations and have formed Great Britain. I've got the mainland provinces I started with minus maine. What are some good achievements to go for that won't be too exhausting from here? Only my second country so don't need to try and pick up everything but would be good to have something to keep me engaged. Currently just going for the industrial England one.

edit - checked the wiki, is one night in paris the only other England specific achievement? France is pretty big at this point (though only slightly ahead of me on the great power chart) and allied with Castille, I don't know how I'd take their capital.

There's another one for passing 11 bills in parliament in a row

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

jpparker55 posted:

Yeah I figured this was a good strategy, have basically locked down the whole east coast for central/north America. The extra merchant from 10 province colonial nations is nice, I now have 7. Should I have them all directing trade or is it worth having 1 collect some trade?

It's around 1570, I have 4 colonial nations and have formed Great Britain. I've got the mainland provinces I started with minus maine. What are some good achievements to go for that won't be too exhausting from here? Only my second country so don't need to try and pick up everything but would be good to have something to keep me engaged. Currently just going for the industrial England one.

edit - checked the wiki, is one night in paris the only other England specific achievement? France is pretty big at this point (though only slightly ahead of me on the great power chart) and allied with Castille, I don't know how I'd take their capital.

You probably just want to forward all your trade to the English Channel until you get enough real estate that can't be forwarded home, then you want to collect overseas.

You might try for the achievement for conquering all of India, it's not England-specific but it's very doable and historically accurate.

One Night in Paris is tougher if you didn't win the Hundred Years' War and put a PU on France, if you've already lost your continental provinces it's still doable but you'll want some strong allies.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jpparker55 posted:

Depending on who owns Genoa, All Your Trade Are Belong to Us might be a decent aim.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

I am interested in your gentlegoon's thoughts on this.

I am going for ideas guy/rekindle the flames/from humble origins. I started in Mewat and decided to form Mughals before realizing that I couldn't get their ideas because I am a custom nation (ffs, need to read better), so my ideas are a bit top heavy.

Humble origins is ticked off, Ottomans have the one last province I need for rekindling the fires, and what I am mostly wondering about is getting to 500 ducats a month income.

I am pretty sure I can plow through Asia in the time remaining. Ottomans have over 300k troops and are loving beasts, so I have been holding off fighting with them. It feels like exploration might be necessary for this one. Exploring everything is a loving pain otherwise. You'd think with 2300 development and a giant empire that I might have heard of the HRE. No such luck.

I am wondering if I should focus on the Ottomans, just pile everything into getting that province and not worry about the 500 ducats. I mean, I guess if I got all the way to Constantinople collecting trade there might be as viable as eating the rest of SE Asia.

edit: Ideas are Defensive, Influence, Religious, Offensive, Trade, Quantity

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 16, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Thank you, I will give these a shot. Conquering Kilwa and Madagascar to get control of the Zanzibar node and those gold provinces has been on the to-do list for a while, but I just got a brand new border with the Ottomans so we'll see how things play out.

When you are done developing the gold provinces, develop the ivory provinces and build workshops and trade companies in them. It will make you a lot of money and get you trading in ivory bonus, which is +2 diplo rep.

jpparker55 posted:

One night in Paris, Marchy March (just release wales), an industrial revolution and Guarantor of peace, should be doable, two of them are England/GB specific. Just let France exist as a 1 state minor.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 16, 2016

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How does manually abdicating your King work when you're HRE?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think abdication is treated the same as death

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Oh Jesus I got coalition war'd and then when I surrendered after wasting a generation on suicide attacks on ottoman positions, it took them a YEAR to accept my peace offer and I went bankrupt plus getting an immediate peasants war. Now I'm getting trounced by a Madagascar minor :smith:

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The endgame stats screen is hilariously broken. Apparently I lost 2 million units and 100 ships per year, and experienced 39 disasters

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Maybe it's reporting the worldwide total?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Venetian Sea is a bad achievement.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is it worth building manufactories in territories if you can funnel almost all of the trade value from those territories into where you collect? I'm playing as Ottomans and considering building manufactories in the high trade good value provinces in East Africa and India.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Bold Robot posted:

Is it worth building manufactories in territories if you can funnel almost all of the trade value from those territories into where you collect? I'm playing as Ottomans and considering building manufactories in the high trade good value provinces in East Africa and India.

Yes, in fact it's probably worth more than building manufactories in crappy trade good province back home. You get the full +1 goods produced it gives feeding into your trade regardless of how much autonomy is on the province, which then increases in value for every trade node it passes through.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Koramei posted:

Yes, in fact it's probably worth more than building manufactories in crappy trade good province back home. You get the full +1 goods produced it gives feeding into your trade regardless of how much autonomy is on the province, which then increases in value for every trade node it passes through.

Thought that was probably the case, but thanks for the confirmation. Time to start throwing some provinces in trade companies and plopping manufactories everywhere.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I got a bit of a problem here and I'd like to hear if you guys have got a solution.

I recently allied Spain and pulled them into a war against England by promising them land. Spain has France under a PU so it was a complete walk in the park. However now that the war is won, Spain don't want any of the conquered provinces.
Hell I sailed to South America to occupy an English province which Spain also has a claim on, but they don't want that one either.

I think the problem is that they've got a permanent claim on Labourd, which France also has a claim on, and when Spain occupied the province the ownership went to France for ~*reasons*~

I can't transfer ownership of Labourd to Spain, and there's nothing else they want. Is there anything I can do?
Alternatively, how hosed is my alliance if I eat the -20 trust for not giving them land?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If it's not Ironman just tag switch to France and transfer the occupation. If it's Ironman... :shrug: this kind of stuff is why I don't play Ironman.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

I got a bit of a problem here and I'd like to hear if you guys have got a solution.

I recently allied Spain and pulled them into a war against England by promising them land. Spain has France under a PU so it was a complete walk in the park. However now that the war is won, Spain don't want any of the conquered provinces.
Hell I sailed to South America to occupy an English province which Spain also has a claim on, but they don't want that one either.

I think the problem is that they've got a permanent claim on Labourd, which France also has a claim on, and when Spain occupied the province the ownership went to France for ~*reasons*~

I can't transfer ownership of Labourd to Spain, and there's nothing else they want. Is there anything I can do?
Alternatively, how hosed is my alliance if I eat the -20 trust for not giving them land?

If they don't have any provinces occupied that they want, you shouldn't lose trust for not giving them anything. Try selecting the provinces you want in the peace deal then looking at spain's shield on the peace deal screen. There will be a red thumbs down if they're mad, or nothing if they don't care either way.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So .. about them Spice Islands.

Never before in EU4 have I been as filthy rich as I am in this game.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

MrBling posted:

So .. about them Spice Islands.

Never before in EU4 have I been as filthy rich as I am in this game.

player rich, so what?

(Just kidding! That is amazing!)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Elman posted:

Venetian Sea is a bad achievement.

How do you get the Trade Power you need in Constantinople without conquest?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Beamed posted:

How do you get the Trade Power you need in Constantinople without conquest?

I conquered a bunch:

That's 4 in Constantinople (every center of trade), 4 in Alexandria (two centers + the 2 most valuable trade provinces), plus trade cities in both nodes (Silistria and Crete, they're kinda worthless though). I also had nearly 100% mercantilism at this point since I was gunning for that achievement too. Once I felt I could get it I just took a billion loans, embargoed everyone in those nodes rival or not, and got rid of all my land except for Venice and those 8 provinces. Then I spammed trade ships everywhere. I think it took over a hundred ships to get from 87% to 90% in Alexandria.

All in all I conquered 21 provinces not counting trade cities and Byzantium's stuff so I feel okay about it, I didn't want to do the usual "blob out of control then release a massive client state and get the achievement before your country implodes". Of course my country was imploding anyway by the time I got it, but that seems like it's par for the course.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I thought you were limited to 10, though, not 21. Do overseas not count?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Beamed posted:

I thought you were limited to 10, though, not 21. Do overseas not count?

You can conquer 1000, you just need to get down to 10 to have the achievement fire.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Tsyni posted:

You can conquer 1000, you just need to get down to 10 to have the achievement fire.

Sure, I guess it's just hard to imagine getting that trade power after cutting yourself down to 10 provinces. I guess it's possible (probable) you can have a tick between losing provinces and already having that trade power, though

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really like how we can invest in our vassals and colonial nations now. I build trade companies and poo poo on my fur zones, send those hats back to europe plz. Sure wish any of these good ideas would transfer over to Stellaris :)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Beamed posted:

Sure, I guess it's just hard to imagine getting that trade power after cutting yourself down to 10 provinces. I guess it's possible (probable) you can have a tick between losing provinces and already having that trade power, though

Getting to 100% mercantilism alone will triple your provincial trade power (and it's not that hard to do since you can buy it with papal influence or diplo points). Add trade buildings to that, plutocratic/trade/expansion ideas to boost your trade power and maybe some development on top, before you know it you'll be pushing 70% trade power without even using ships. When you actually spam those ships well past your force limit, make your neighbours transfer trade power to you and embargo everyone ("costly embargos" only make you lose trade value, not power) reaching 90% isn't that hard.

Of course, the problem with that achievement is no matter how well you plan your setup you'll always be forced to cripple your country to pull it off since you already have 10 provinces in 1444. That's a big oversight, but understandable since it's an old achievement and they've made so many map changes since then. I feel like allowing you to have 15-20 provinces would make more sense with the current state of things.

But yeah it's not difficult, just kinda dumb.

Elman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 18, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beamed posted:

If I were going for that achievement I'd think that you could push yourself up by launching a few wars for forced trade power transfer agreements.

According to the wiki trade power transfer agreements no longer take a diplo slot. When did that change?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

If I were going for that achievement I'd think that you could push yourself up by launching a few wars for forced trade power transfer agreements.

According to the wiki trade power transfer agreements no longer take a diplo slot. When did that change?

I've been wondering about that. Makes a nice juicy option when taking peace with someone that isn't the war target. Gold, reparations, and trade power.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wait, how do you buy mercantilism with Diplo points?

Also, anyone have any tips for trying to get the "Golden Horn" achievement? Anything other than the usual.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 18, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You need Mare Nostrum I think. Go to the Trade panel of your nation, there's a button here.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Wait, how do you but mercantilism with Diplo points?

In the trade screen, under the left panel there. They added it when they added mil points to raise legitimacy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Well poo poo, thanks guys.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

wasteland colors were a Mistake

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

Is that a bug or WAI? I actually find it easier to have wastelands be easily identifiable, but also like them being a little colored, so this seems like it would be something I like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

Wasteland colors are good, wasteland terrain is what's bad in that screenshot

• Locked thread