Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
And here we see a run when Highwang didn't bring enough food.

Somehow that's possible.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wayne posted:

I've been catching up on this one, and Highwang, while normally I'm the last guy to backseat somebody else's game, your last Siren run was killing me. You had two guys with Riposte, a boss who does all AoE moves and one debuff, and then kept complaining about how long the fight was. :sweatdrop:

For as much as Highwang does dumb stuff, I wouldn't count that as such. Riposting works nicely on the Siren, but you do run the risk of riposting a turned team mate. So for someone as risk averse as Highwang it's understandable that he didn't use it that much (I think he even mentioned that in the video).

quote:

Yeah, he's pretty great and gets points for actually being a bard by trade. If you count "music magic" you have a lot of JRPG characters (Ar Tonelico, obviously, but Tear in Tales of the Abyss comes to mind too) and "tricksters with perform skills" adds people like Shantae. Hmm... the Bard job in FF5 was fun, wasn't that the one with the song that inflicted Stop on all enemies? Any time you run into bards breaking the game in a game, remember they were actually overpowered in 1st and 2nd AD&D, it wasn't until 3rd standardized everything that they become more "master of none."

There we go, I knew I knew of a good video game bard (well bard class if not a specific character) but I couldn't think of which one it was. Bards in FF5 are stupidly strong. The ability to Stop lots of enemies (including some of the superbosses), buff your party into the stratosphere, destroy undead, and eventually dragons with the legendary harp make them one of the best jobs in the game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I only started playing this game two or three months ago, and I could have sworn that Finale only hit rank 1. :shrug:

Also, Iron Chitlin has clearly never seen a goofus Ur-Priest/Sublime Chord/Fochlucan Lyrist build.

(Bards also rule in Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Don't wipe your rear end with eldrich roof tentacles of darkness.
It is not a good way to wipe.

Bards are oft unappreciated, but great.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The point of Abyssal Artillery is that you take it in conjunction with STAB TIMES and Occultist's Best Pal Arbalest (or Plague Doc with Plague Grenade) and use it to weaken both back row enemies so that Arby can easily gun one down or so that Plague Grenade can do its work faster, and if you need position 3 to die right the gently caress now you use STAB TIMES.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Yapping Eevee posted:

The best Bard in a videogame is Deekin Scalesinger, the kobold companion from Neverwinter Night's expansions. Obviously.

The best bard in a tabletop game was Brunhilda Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshieldsonsdottir. She was a dwarven bard because her clan, Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshield, had lost the blessings of the gods and could no longer produce clerics, so they used bards for healers.

She was on a grand quest to restore her people's divine mandate, so no son or daughter of clan Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshield would have to bear the shame of barddom ever again.

She ended up being the party tank, heals and main dps because my friends were apparently trash at 3.5 char op and action economy.

I wish I had her portrait. I gave her braided chest hair and the loveliest beard.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Bit of a heads up, I'm on the tail-end of a cold and still feel a bit haggard so we won't have an update this friday. I think I'll be way better by monday for more updates.

As for discussions, everyone kept mentioning Bard's Tale as a good bard. Now while I do agree that the bard is good mainly due to his cynical mindset, I never liked the game itself. I dunno if its due to just not being my game or aging poorly though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pvt.Scott posted:

The best bard in a tabletop game was Brunhilda Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshieldsonsdottir. She was a dwarven bard because her clan, Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshield, had lost the blessings of the gods and could no longer produce clerics, so they used bards for healers.

She was on a grand quest to restore her people's divine mandate, so no son or daughter of clan Stonerockhammergoldsilversmithshield would have to bear the shame of barddom ever again.

She ended up being the party tank, heals and main dps because my friends were apparently trash at 3.5 char op and action economy.

I wish I had her portrait. I gave her braided chest hair and the loveliest beard.

She only counts if her grandfather was Snorri Snorrison.

In terrible Bard names I once played one named Ian Nept. Ironically he was actually quite talented, destined to be the greatest bard in his setting because he found the holy source of all inspiration: A never-ending flask of gin.

E: Really, everything needs more Bards. The ridiculousness of 'guy who can sing and caper merrily' being an adventuring archetype is matched only by the fact that they're actually really good mechanically in 3.5.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 15, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
There's quite a few JRPGs that sort of have bards as casters, usually as women that drop fireballs on enemies with the power of song.

Pillars of Eternity has the Chanter class, who sing for party buffs and build up charges for each verse sung. Then they can drop a big "gently caress you" spell/summon once they've built up enough charges.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tarezax posted:

There's quite a few JRPGs that sort of have bards as casters, usually as women that drop fireballs on enemies with the power of song.

Pillars of Eternity has the Chanter class, who sing for party buffs and build up charges for each verse sung. Then they can drop a big "gently caress you" spell/summon once they've built up enough charges.

Shark Bard is my favorite character in that game. He's basically an archaeologist with a great set of pipes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tarezax posted:

Sirin in Tyranny is more or less a bard and likewise a very strong party member.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Someone mentioned Ar Tonelico earlier, this is an example of what your singers can do at the end of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt1ASvGnkVE&t=200s

That's right, they're calling down a GIANT loving LASER CANNON on the target.

I wouldn't say they quite fit the bard archetype though, as the singers are completely incapable of normal melee combat. Combat in the Ar Tonelico series involves your frontliners keeping the enemies from hitting your singers until they charge up a song to the point where you can end the battle with it.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 16, 2016

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Highwang posted:

Bit of a heads up, I'm on the tail-end of a cold and still feel a bit haggard so we won't have an update this friday.

It feels really good to not be the cause of a delay for once!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be the reason why there won't be one next friday either :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
You should have upgraded your Sanitarium and treated your heroes, Highwang. Now you're suffering the consequences.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Minor bit of news to talk about but HOHHHH

https://cartrdge.com/highwayman/the-fanatic

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Didn't know the Vestal had a big brother.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
If you want a fantasy bard woman with a proper axe, reaper minis has you covered. They have the model in Bones too. Half the price, slightly less detail.

https://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/bard/latest/03098

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Highwang posted:

Bit of a heads up, I'm on the tail-end of a cold and still feel a bit haggard so we won't have an update this friday.

drat it, Highwang, you don't need BOTH the Bloodthirst Ring and the Fasting Seal. Put on something with Blight resistance!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

DGM_2 posted:

drat it, Highwang, you don't need BOTH the Bloodthirst Ring and the Fasting Seal. Put on something with Blight resistance!
no. i want to remove the weakness of flesh from my body and become a robot.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Robo-Wang just sounds wrong.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Highwang posted:

Bit of a heads up, I'm on the tail-end of a cold and still feel a bit haggard so we won't have an update this friday. I think I'll be way better by monday for more updates.

We'll shove you in the treatment ward for a few days. Get some leeches in there, you'll be good as new.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lazy Bear posted:

We'll shove you in the treatment ward for a few days. Get some leeches in there, you'll be good as new.
Bad news: the treatment ward doesn't have enough space

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Bad news: the treatment ward doesn't have enough space

But the Penance Hall ALWAYS has an open space for Highwang. :unsmigghh:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

We'll shove you in the treatment ward for a few days.

"No, Mr. Highwang, the manacles aren't really necessary. We just enjoy our work more when we get to use them." :twisted:

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Why does the jester walk like he's just poo poo himself and is trying not to smear it around too much?

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

zxqv8 posted:

Why does the jester walk like he's just poo poo himself and is trying not to smear it around too much?
Gotta make those bell jingle, you know. How else are the eldritch creatures to know that there's a Jester about to clown them?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

DGM_2 posted:

"No, Mr. Highwang, the manacles aren't really necessary. We just enjoy our work more when we get to use them." :twisted:

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr. Highwang! I expect you to heal!"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FisheyStix posted:

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr. Highwang! I expect you to heal!"

Dialogue from the dread doctor Coldfinger.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Oh hey, looks like the Crimson Court is going to address one common complain about the game:

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/hamlet-for-the-holidays/

"So, we are planning an alternative game mode (RADIANT), which will have balance changes and rule tweaks aimed at bringing the completion time down to approximately 40 hours"

I might finally complete this drat game. :toot:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Attestant posted:

Oh hey, looks like the Crimson Court is going to address one common complain about the game:

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/hamlet-for-the-holidays/

"So, we are planning an alternative game mode (RADIANT), which will have balance changes and rule tweaks aimed at bringing the completion time down to approximately 40 hours"

I might finally complete this drat game. :toot:

On one hand, I'm deadly afraid that my disgusting stall tactics will be nerfed.

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward for a faster paced game overall. More deaths, less care, bring more of the original x-com to this game :toot:

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Robo-Wang just sounds wrong.

?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I don't know whether to be impressed you could pull that card up and make that connection at will, or discouraged for the same reason, Vinay.

In any case, I'm all for pushing up the tempo. You can sandbag for wayyyy too long in this game if you want.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I don't know whether to be impressed you could pull that card up and make that connection at will, or discouraged for the same reason, Vinay.

In any case, I'm all for pushing up the tempo. You can sandbag for wayyyy too long in this game if you want.

And this makes the effort worthwhile!

(Fair admission, this was the first set I got back into Magic with, and that card was called 'robo-wang' basically as soon as it was released.)

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Been catching up on this LP for the past week, I love this bonkers game to death. I enjoyed getting absolutely infuriated at your luck early on, but then everything went to poo poo and the balance was restored. Good stuff.

Can you toss my name in the recruitment pool?
Jester, Abomination, Antiquarian in that order.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
I'm on champion dungeons now and I've only just noticed the survivalist camp in the hamlet :downs:

Looking forward to seeing how the end game shapes out. The transition into champion feels quite harsh so far.

Sign me up as an Abomination or Occultist!

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Add me to the list of folk who've picked up this game from the LP. So far I've downed the necromancer and prophet, with no losses yet and one accidental dark run. This game is really great, and I have been experimenting with builds and teams as a result

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Add me to the list of folk who've picked up this game from the LP. So far I've downed the necromancer and prophet, with no losses yet and one accidental dark run. This game is really great, and I have been experimenting with builds and teams as a result

Accidental dark runs, particularly accidental dark boss runs, are the best. Had one of those yesterday on the veteran cannon (12 pounder?). Luckily I had a crusader in the party who kept my crew's stress down enough that I didn't get afflicted, and I just saved my camping for the chamber right before the boss fight and things went well enough, but it was touch and go there. (PS Grave Robbers are the best and throw dagger is amazing for dealing with match men.)

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Okay Let's take a look at the checklist:

-Not Sick
-No family events
-Holidays are over

Life has finally stabilized. Time to get back on schedule:

New Update - Episode 38: Looking toward the future

Today we hella date the video by looking at the future of Darkest Dungeon with the up and coming Crimson Court DLC. Also we're a bit more crazier than normal due to me finally recovering from a cold and also being super excited to finally get this going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Y'know... if you have "no good accessories" you can leave the slot empty and have one more potential space for an item/stack, yes? And you could have been doing this all along?

• Locked thread