Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I just finished. There were only three survivors because I can't do the aiming in the QTEs. Probably going to play through it again to collect everything, but how much I gently caress with who lives and who dies and stuff is probably going to depend on how the "replay a chapter" thing works, because I'm not playing through the whole game over and over again just to save the one guy who you have to press Triangle really quickly to save.

The two main characters aren't in any danger at all until the final scene, which, combined with the fact that your decisions mean nothing in the prologue, kinda soured the central premise for me. The football player seemed to have a death wish with all the ways he can die, which I guess helps balance it out but not really. Still a neat game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Rogue Galaxy was the last game I remember renting from a brick and mortar rental store. It was a Hollywood Video in the plaza that I work in, it is now a pizza hut/debella's subs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh i keep thinking people mean rebel galaxy

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mordja posted:

Crosspost from another thread:

Bumping this old-rear end thread because a big, new (final?) version of Mental Omega just came out.

MO is easily the biggest mod for RA2:YR and probably one of the biggest mods for any RTS. As of version 3.3 it boasts the following:

Each subfaction is unique and fully realized, both the singleplayer and cooperative campaigns are long and hard as balls, and the mod is fully integrated into CnCnet, meaning you can find a match without having to manually gently caress around with VPNs and the like.

So dig out those Yuri's Revenge CDs (or login to Origin or whatever) and get to Commanding and Conquering!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/mental-omega/downloads/mental-omega-330
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mental-omega/downloads/soundtrack-for-mental-omega-33

Thank you so much for this -- I would've completely missed out on this if not for your post... but eww, origin? god damnit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

Thank you so much for this -- I would've completely missed out on this if not for your post... but eww, origin? god damnit.

I don't play games on PC, what is it that makes all the non-steam options bad

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Origin is just real bad

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Has there ever been a game with a laugh track other than Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon?

Weapon Shop de Omasse absolutely does.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

Steam is so established that that's where most people have the bulk of their library, and having your collection spread across multiple platforms is a lot more annoying than having it all on one platform.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is my controversial opinion that Origin and Uplay are absolutely fine and you don't even need to look at them unless you're opening them to play a game or closing them when you're done, and having one universal platform run by one company is almost never a good thing (see Youtube being the only feasible option for streaming video, allowing them to poo poo on their users however much they want).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dynasty Warriors 9 is an open world game that models the entirety of China.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Surprisingly the Microsoft store is kind of the best one because you just double click an exe and the game boots. You never have to open any social media platforms and worry about different logins and stuff. PC gaming like its 1998

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Dynasty Warriors 9 is an open world game that models the entirety of China.

I don't knoq how I feel about open world Dynasty Warriors.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i have four giant holes in my mouth, am chewing on gauze to stop bleeding, and inhaling hydrocodone every couple of hours as needed

but i'm still pwning n00bz in pokemon tournaments

how is your weekend going so far chat thread

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

boy are my arms tired posted:

i have four giant holes in my mouth, am chewing on gauze to stop bleeding, and inhaling hydrocodone every couple of hours as needed

Me and the 5-month-old have colds but the missus and the 3-year-old are ok so it's mostly just been loafing around and watching the Rankin and Bass Rudolph movie while an infant periodically horks some phlegm. Basically a playboy lifestyle over here.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

mutata posted:

Me and the 5-month-old have colds but the missus and the 3-year-old are ok so it's mostly just been loafing around and watching the Rankin and Bass Rudolph movie while an infant periodically horks some phlegm. Basically a playboy lifestyle over here.

that is not good, i hope you and the baby feel better!

my four month old is staring at me and claps/goos excitedly whenever she sees the gauze in my mouth, which, uh

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Help Im Alive posted:

People being accustomed to something. There's nothing wrong with the current version of Origin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

oddium posted:

is this some ancient mariner situation where you accidentally had fun once and now you're cursed to share your joylessness with anyone who catches your eye

I really enjoy the gameplay for the most part. It takes a while to get used to everyone's comparatively long line of sight and there's a couple situations where it takes the guards way too long to stand down from alert, and I'm not sure how much is gained by the game being open world instead of discrete stages, but it's a really fun game to play. The variety of tactical options being balanced by your budget is a really great way to encourage players to challenge themselves, I feel. I have approaching 80 hours in it. I just really don't like the writing and it's becoming increasingly stupid as I try to finish the game. It's quite a long game and I've pretty much had my fill of the gameplay, so usually I'd be fueled by a desire to see the ending, but in this case not so much.

I'm sorry if you liked the writing in this game, I like the story and characters in a lot of other Metal Gear titles, I think Metal Gear Rising's goofy plot is one of the most fun things in gaming. But this game takes itself way too seriously and has way too many dumb plot twists and really long-winded pseudo-scientific explanations for things it could just say were "developed in a lab" or "magic". I really think its central story and themes are incredibly weak and the writing way over-reaches on itself to try and convey them. It was easier to swallow the ridiculous elements and over-the-top dialogue when these games had a sense of fun, instead of dour, joyless foreboding.

If I was constantly posting about how great the game is, I don't think you'd have this negative reaction, so I'm sorry you like a thing and I don't.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 17, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

That was me a few weeks ago except for the Pokemon part. If it's wisdom teeth, have fun getting food stuck in your gumholes and having to flush them out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I got my wisdom teeth removed on my 19th birthday. My mandibular ones were claw shaped and mouth had to be butchered to get them out. It was rough and it took a long time before I could actually eat solid food again. I told mom to make the richest goddamn cheesecake she could (I'm not fond of "regular" cakes :can:) and I ate like half of it the day before the operation. I also had a fine steak.

Edit: I dunno what I was playing back then but knowing me it was probably Metroid Prime 1 or 2 or Fusion or Zero Mission, RE4, or maybe the handheld Castlevanias.

Palpek posted:

People being accustomed to something. There's nothing wrong with the current version of Origin.

Origin is pretty good now, yeah. It used to be bad, but then so was Steam back in its early days. I find uPlay annoying only because it needs to be running while I play Assassin's Creed from Steam. I'm not familar with it otherwise but I do like that you can use it to buy some DLC using your achievement points.

The only truly awful major digital distribution service was the Windows Live one. I'm glad they finally shot that limping horse.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 17, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Is that gonna be the "sewer level" of the galactic scale?

ImpAtom posted:

Kind of, but ti also just kinda marks the point the game goes downhill in most people's minds.

yeah after prison you go to mining planet and start to realize that despite the great characters and cool systems that keep getting revealed (mining planet has an amazing new character and you get to start using the factory around that time) the gameplay boils down to getting lost in really ugly places under constant random battle attack. i was so hype after the desert and the jungle and arriving at the capital but then i wasn't hype anymore.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mak0rz posted:

I got my wisdom teeth removed on my 19th birthday. My mandibular ones were claw shaped and mouth had to be butchered to get them out. It was rough and it took a long time before I could actually eat solid food again. I told mom to make the richest goddamn cheesecake she could (I'm not fond of "regular" cakes :can:) and I ate like half of it the day before the operation. I also had a fine steak.

Origin is pretty good now, yeah. It used to be bad, but then so was Steam back in its early days. I find uPlay annoying only because it needs to be running while I play Assassin's Creed from Steam. I'm not familar with it otherwise but I do like that you can use it to buy some DLC using your achievement points.

The only truly awful major digital distribution service was the Windows Live one. I'm glad they finally shot that limping horse.

my "final meal" was a cheesecake from the cheesecake factory and chipotle

now its mac and cheese/applesauce/ice cream for the next few days rip

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

my "final meal" was a cheesecake from the cheesecake factory and chipotle

:hfive:

now its mac and cheese/applesauce/ice cream for the next few days rip

I never once got a thank you card from Yoplait for giving them like 20% of their revenue that year.

The first thing I ate when I was finally allowed solid food was pizza. It was hard, but so worth it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Origin is okay but I prefer not having it open because I'd rather have everything running from 1 specific program instead of having to have multiple up and also I don't like that Origin freaks out and will disable the bottom right hand section of the screen from being clicked on until I close out of origin because for whatever reason origin will prevent you from clicking in the bottom right area due to its chat messaging system or something like that, I'm not sure of the specifics.

I dunno if I have red alert 2 on origin or not, but I never played vanilla red alert 2 anyway and I don't have game money that isn't steam card bucks so meh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rogue One was so incredible, I need to see this movie again. Loved everything about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It was totally solid, yeah. It was a good Star Wars movie and even had cool new places that aren't desert planets!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

Origin is okay but I prefer not having it open because I'd rather have everything running from 1 specific program instead of having to have multiple up and also I don't like that Origin freaks out and will disable the bottom right hand section of the screen from being clicked on until I close out of origin because for whatever reason origin will prevent you from clicking in the bottom right area due to its chat messaging system or something like that, I'm not sure of the specifics.

I dunno if I have red alert 2 on origin or not, but I never played vanilla red alert 2 anyway and I don't have game money that isn't steam card bucks so meh

They did give away ra2 a few months ago do maybe you have it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm going to buy Stardew Valley on PS4 wish me luck

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, Telltale Batman fumbled crazy hard on the final stretch, and I gotta say I'm disappointed (though not surprised). It's actually a shame because imo the first and second episode are the strongest Telltale opening since TWD Season 1.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm going to buy Stardew Valley on PS4 wish me luck

good luck

has any sales been leaked ahead of time for steam? i dunno how it usually works but it'd be nice to see whats gonna go on sale

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hey how far am I from the end of Shantae Pirate's Curse if I just got to prop town

Also fuckin' hell girl I know you're in a WayForward game but just put some clothes on if you're cold

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Hey how far am I from the end of Shantae Pirate's Curse if I just got to prop town

Also fuckin' hell girl I know you're in a WayForward game but just put some clothes on if you're cold

Pretty close to the end. Another couple of dungeons or so, and a lot of mandatory backtracking of course.

I wish you luck trying to find the last of the dark magic without a guide. It's really really dumb.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Pretty close to the end. Another couple of dungeons or so, and a lot of mandatory backtracking of course.

I wish you luck trying to find the last of the dark magic without a guide. It's really really dumb.

Nah that sort of thing triggers an automatic 'head for GameFAQs' response if I can be bothered to Find All The Things at all. Usually I can't :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In this case it's one of those 'you need all the things to get the actual end of the game' unfortunately.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah if you don't collect the evil magic, you face a lame version of the final boss (which is loving very hard and cool in his real form) and you get a losers ending.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm getting a headache from this last minute plot twist. I'd had it spoiled for me but I honestly thought people were loving with me.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Guy Mann posted:

Has there ever been a game with a laugh track other than Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon?

Retro City Rampage does it for one moment to parody a sitcom. It came out of nowhere for me and I laughed.

That game has some strange ideas about what's funny in it, though.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I played through it recently and managed to find them all without any trouble that I can remember so I'm struggling to remember which one would have been hard had I not been lucky. At least it tells you which island you're missing things on.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's funny that the finale of MGSV is considered a big plot twist considering they spell it out explicitly in the first five minutes of the game and most people didn't seem to notice, or, didn't want to believe it. Like Ishmael...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

It's funny that the finale of MGSV is considered a big plot twist considering they spell it out explicitly in the first five minutes of the game and most people didn't seem to notice, or, didn't want to believe it. Like Ishmael...

the beauty of mgsv is how everything people want to critcize it over is easily met with this sort of gorgeous, poetic sophistry.

that and it rules of course.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"The game not being finished is the real phantom pain that was intended to be inflicted on you, the player!" - an insane person

edit: an insane person, and the game's staff after they heard it and spent some time saying "ooh yeah that sounds smart, let's say we did that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you're no fun, unlike insanely fun and complete game mgsv

• Locked thread