Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

do you hvae a source for this because it's pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kmh4BbJPz8

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hey guys, can we all agree that it's mega hilarious when people who are speaking english are still subtitled in english if they have even the slightest of accents, even if that accent is of another native english speaking reagion

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i am so loving inspired right now

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

duTrieux. posted:

hey guys, can we all agree that it's mega hilarious when people who are speaking english are still subtitled in english if they have even the slightest of accents, even if that accent is of another native english speaking reagion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDmg74rhCw
technically english

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah he definitely pronounces the L in "badass" really weird

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
as an american-born english-speaker, i tried to watch trainspotting a long time ago and literally couldn't understand what people were saying

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

sounds fine to me

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

as an american-born english-speaker, i tried to watch trainspotting a long time ago and literally couldn't understand what people were saying

I'm canadian and it's perfectly comprehensible

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
cheers catboy

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what i'm taking away from all this is that yosposters all have exceptionally poor hearing

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DrPossum posted:

"someone call 911" *continues to record on phone*

at the end of the video, he says "i'm gonna call 911 again" (his emphasis). presumably he called before he started filming? for what it's worth.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

(foreign service exam test prep question)

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stymie posted:

what i'm taking away from all this is that yosposters all have exceptionally poor hearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ6cp2T76lY

el_jorge
Jul 7, 2008

I also got a bag of chocolate smooth.
VR gaming at it's finest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ-Md56jK9Y

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rofl that is terrifying

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
black mirror season 3 the dumdum room

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm dying here.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

duTrieux. posted:

actually dumbass it is super discriminatory that when we deem something "good enough" english it doesn't get subtitled, thereby making it harder to comprehend by any audience who themselves don't have "good enough" english

there's literally no reason not to subtitle everything. in a lot of places that is the convention and it's way better

meanwhile, there is nothing racial about accents. the guy in that video is clearly putting on a super phony bad asian accent and is probably actually a yosposter who is delighted to be puppet mastering you PC-obsessed retards every time the topic comes up. do you rike it, motherfucker

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

diamond dog posted:

actually dumbass it is super discriminatory that when we deem something "good enough" english it doesn't get subtitled, thereby making it harder to comprehend by any audience who themselves don't have "good enough" english

there's literally no reason not to subtitle everything. in a lot of places that is the convention and it's way better

meanwhile, there is nothing racial about accents. the guy in that video is clearly putting on a super phony bad asian accent and is probably actually a yosposter who is delighted to be puppet mastering you PC-obsessed retards every time the topic comes up. do you rike it, motherfucker

cool post dude

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
thanks man

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

diamond dog posted:

what

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

duTrieux. posted:

there is a target accent for american broadcast television. if you're far from the target, you get subtitled.

it's not about "native" vs "non-native" accents

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

am i seaking chinese nigga? would you like me to?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

diamond dog posted:

it's 2016. everything in the world has subtitles available, up to and including over the air broadcast television.

what we are talking about is forced subtitles, where the subtitles are burned into the image even for users who have subtitles turned off. it's not discriminatory to add extra subtitling for folks who didn't even know their tv had a CC feature

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

diamond dog posted:

yeah dude school us

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

diamond dog posted:

i think you're arguing that it's discriminatory to assume people can understand different accents, no matter how vague? which is weird because that's basically saying that anybody who hasn't cultivated a Transatlantic accent is unintelligible, which doesn't fit into the "oh ho you're the real bigot here" thing.

i don't even know where the race thing came from, i just think it's funny when somebody with a vague canadian accent on television is subtitled in their own language

anyway,

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yeah dude school us

白人看不懂, except bullshit. I have cracked the code.

there is a small loud irritating core of extremely censorious posters who have been so loving perniciously effective at pussifying this subforum over the last 5 years that im pretty sure they're government agents. that's poes law, kyle. they could just be stupid asshoes who are especially bad at posting, I guess

seriously, it's "racist" to wonder what he is saying instead of blindly agreeing with your interpretation, [poster with memes about not listening to him which may or may not be organic, i have no idea]?

RACE ISN'T REAL. racism is bad because believing in race is a FLAWED PARADIGM. it's an ism. race hyphen ism. you idiots. it does not mean noticing that people from different countries have different dialects of english. english is nothing but dialects!

duTrieux. posted:

o think you're arguing that it's discriminatory to assume people can understand different accents, no matter how vague? which is weird because that's basically saying that anybody who hasn't cultivated a Transatlantic accent is unintelligible, which doesn't fit into the "oh ho you're the real bigot here" thing

nailed it. ESL speakers use subtitles more than anybody.

diamond dog fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 18, 2016

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/809936907459141632

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

:3: jonesy

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

diamond dog posted:

白人看不懂, except bullshit. I have cracked the code.

there is a small loud irritating core of extremely censorious posters who have been so loving perniciously effective at pussifying this subforum over the last 5 years that im pretty sure they're government agents. that's poes law, kyle. they could just be stupid asshoes who are especially bad at posting, I guess

oh cool man totally. I mean I've been so persecuted by posting anime and it's just so politically correct, right?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
yes :anime: is the BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING meme of yospos

gently caress the mods and all other police

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

diamond dog posted:

yes :anime: is the BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING meme of yospos

gently caress the mods and all other police

I feel mods such as graph and so on and so forth are really controlling, and making a politically correct environment, what do you think?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

look you stupid fuckers the guy says "holy poo poo, piiIsss"

he says "holy" correctly, but his accent makes the l less distinct than when a native english speaker says it, so one can be forgiven for mishearing him as saying "hory." it's stereotypical, but as stated many asian languages treat r and l as the same sound and they're very similar phonetics so it's pretty easy to get them messed up. this guy doesn't do so, though.

however he is definitely saying pisssss. he says it as kind of a two syllable word, like "pi-issssss" which sounds weird, but there's no way in hell he's saying "badass" and if anything is racist it's assuming his accent is so bad that when he says badass it sounds like piiiiisssssssss. why would you even refer to poo poo exploding as badass? badass is if a dude does something rad, not when something explodes or whatever and people get hurt. it doesn't make sense.

therefore never quote stymie <3

edit: i am really happy with graph and smythe's modding and am glad you are not allowed to post lovely cartoons. my only complaint is that they still allow music videos to be posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

look you stupid fuckers the guy says "holy poo poo, piiIsss"

he says "holy" correctly, but his accent makes the l less distinct than when a native english speaker says it, so one can be forgiven for mishearing him as saying "hory." it's stereotypical, but as stated many asian languages treat r and l as the same sound and they're very similar phonetics so it's pretty easy to get them messed up. this guy doesn't do so, though.

however he is definitely saying pisssss. he says it as kind of a two syllable word, like "pi-issssss" which sounds weird, but there's no way in hell he's saying "badass" and if anything is racist it's assuming his accent is so bad that when he says badass it sounds like piiiiisssssssss. why would you even refer to poo poo exploding as badass? badass is if a dude does something rad, not when something explodes or whatever and people get hurt. it doesn't make sense.

therefore never quote stymie <3

edit: i am really happy with graph and smythe's modding and am glad you are not allowed to post lovely cartoons. my only complaint is that they still allow music videos to be posted.

stymie is right

• Locked thread