Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rocket says "Merry Christmas" to you nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Paint rocket red

For the holidays

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Paint rocket red

For the holidays

No joke -- I did on Thursday. I burned my knuckles on the exhaust manifold while I was opening the block drain on the 1MZ-FE in the beater Avalon a few weeks back. It's a healing sore right now. I was playing with him and he swiped me with his paw. I didn't notice, but he grabbed the burned area and ripped it open. I had blood all over my hands, and his neck.

A true red rocket.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy shiiiiiiit yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXI9KLImC4

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Never before has one word got me so hype.

"Antikythera":aaaaa:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Hype level is high for this. I was told, for the whole time that my grandmother was alive, that my great-grandfather invented the adding machine. She had a prototype ADDAC machine, which is on my bookshelves right now. It has some unique, hand-typed paperwork with it, and I never really got the whole story to it before she died.

Either way, obviously he wasn't the inventor of the adding machine, but a) the ADDAC was pretty interesting and b) pre-dating that by two centuries is pretty loving impressive.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

After a couple of lovely refrigerators for us as well, (GE, Kenmore) we are seriously considering going all out and buying a Sub Zero. Yeah they are expensive as hell, but consider that they will most likely outlive you and these new garbage disposable units you would have bought in that span would end up costing more anyway.

This sounds a lot like my style. Maybe I should look at the cost of acquisition and consider it.

I am totally with kastein. The internet of things is dumb and has no place with the fridge. I want it to keep my food fresh, dispense chilled ice and water, and look good.

Everything these days is disposable though. People all think Tesla is the answer but I want to see how they hold up 5-10 years later. If they are a tech company and not a car company like they claim then it'll probably be like an iPhone. Worth nothing after a few generations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Got a nice dividend from my credit union and naturally tried to spend it immediately. I have gone through all my bookmarks and every single thing is sold out at my preferred locations. Christmas must be going well for retailers this year.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

Hype level is high for this. I was told, for the whole time that my grandmother was alive, that my great-grandfather invented the adding machine. She had a prototype ADDAC machine, which is on my bookshelves right now. It has some unique, hand-typed paperwork with it, and I never really got the whole story to it before she died.

Either way, obviously he wasn't the inventor of the adding machine, but a) the ADDAC was pretty interesting and b) pre-dating that by two centuries is pretty loving impressive.

Two centuries? The Antikythera mechanism is estimated to have been made around 100 bc at the lates.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

Two centuries? The Antikythera mechanism is estimated to have been made around 100 bc at the lates.

Jesus christ dude, I've been dringking for 4 hours now. 2 centuries jumped ahead of 2 millenia, but the operative point is the same, whichever term is used.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 18, 2016

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Isn't there an AI IRC channel somewhere?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

Isn't there an AI IRC channel somewhere?

Kinda disappointed that it wasn't hyperlinked in my red title. :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

College sports are awesome though.

Oh HELL NO

bend posted:

Got my ute back.

Been sitting in my mates backyard just about two years since I sold it to him on the theory he was going to do the work I couldn't afford to do at the time and actually fix the bloody thing. He never ended up doing anything and offered to sell it back a couple of months ago, and wrote of the remaining money last week as a christmas present, nice oval office that he is .
Be a while till she's on the road (Oh god , the rust), I want to do a few things first and I'm debating chucking in a 253 or 308 too so a bit too sort, but nice to have it back.

A Holden One Tonner!!! Now THAT is awesome

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I still don't understand how you guys get conned into spending thousands on fridges. The Bosch I bought 11 years and three houses ago is still going strong, promoted to garage beer fridge a year ago and it cost me £300 new. When the built-in this house came with dies I'll replace it with a standalone again.
yeah I don't get it either.
Fridge: $150 craigslist
Stove: got one free from a friend who was going to scrap it, put a new oven element in. $20 done

Also got another one in trade for doing the wiring for my sister's new electric range. So we have the choice of gas or electric once I build the kitchen.

The dishwasher and stove are totally gonna get painted #270 saab lightning blue after I do the kitchen because I think they would look rad in that color and will be painting one of my trucks too.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Everything these days is disposable though. People all think Tesla is the answer but I want to see how they hold up 5-10 years later. If they are a tech company and not a car company like they claim then it'll probably be like an iPhone. Worth nothing after a few generations.

I hope they are worthless but still running great because I want to gut one for its batteries and motors and inverters and put them in a comanche so very badly.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CommieGIR posted:

College sports are a drain on valid collegiate studies.

Not arguing that. But it's still fun and exciting.

Then again, aren't you the one who also gets shirty if someone mentions the gym?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Liquid Communism posted:

Because the Battle of Hoth was years later, and the Imps probably took the AT-AT's getting rolled here as a reason to uparmor the next build cycle to handle that.
Its in one of the books (x-wing series book.... 7? Isards Revenge IIRC) that X-wings own AT-ATs. So no.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Always skip leg day

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

Jesus christ dude, I've been dringking for 4 hours now. 2 centuries jumped ahead of 2 millenia, but the operative point is the same, whichever term is used.

Sorry meatpimp, next time I'll make sure and magically check if you were drunk when you posted a thing before replying to it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My in-laws just upgraded their phones so we're going to sell their old ones for them. We've got an iphone 5S and a 5C, both 16GB. What's the best place to sell them (ebay? craigslist?) and what's a reasonable price? I don't know gently caress or poo poo about iphone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Then again, aren't you the one who also gets shirty if someone mentions the gym?

Yes.

In Collegiate Footballs case, however, I more dislike how most major universities get sucked into them, a program that is largely just an NFL recruitment and training camp, while distracting from actual important things that Universities should be doing, like R&D and actual classwork. They are financial black holes for donations and college budgets.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 18, 2016

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ether Frenzy posted:

Premium is not the same as deductible. Premium is when you pay them to insure you twice a year. Sounds like whoever you talked to at Progressive the first time is stupid.

Did I say premium earlier? I was probably rageposting and not thinking clearly. Yeah - all up to date on my premiums.

ilkhan posted:

Its in one of the books (x-wing series book.... 7? Isards Revenge IIRC) that X-wings own AT-ATs. So no.

OTOH Disney declared the expanded universe as non-canonical so...

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

As someone with small kids that won't be able to see rogue one right away I appreciate the copious amounts of spoiler tags :hfive:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

No kids but ^^ same. :)

I didn't see the last one until it hit Bluray a few months ago, and I'll probably be the same with this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gently caress spoiler culture.

here it goes: the good guys win

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ilkhan posted:

He was talking about it happening in Rogue One, and the books have been de-canonized. :P

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Cross posting https://youtu.be/skmmT3Nbals

bend
Dec 31, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh HELL NO

A Holden One Tonner!!! Now THAT is awesome

I'll get a build thread up soon if there's the interest, but it'll be pretty slow going, I'm pretty broke for a while yet.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

My in-laws just upgraded their phones so we're going to sell their old ones for them. We've got an iphone 5S and a 5C, both 16GB. What's the best place to sell them (ebay? craigslist?) and what's a reasonable price? I don't know gently caress or poo poo about iphone.

Swappa is generally pretty solid, and offers a little bit of protection for both the buyer and seller. Certainly more than ebay does. Paypal is still involved, but at least the buyer knows it has a clean ESN.

If you do Craigslist, do it at a police station, or at least in the parking lot of one. Too many drat stories of people getting robbed when selling phones/tablets.

iwentdoodie posted:

I've never paid my deductible in a not at fault accident. I called my insurance, they took care of whatever I needed, and fought the other company.

I had to pay my collision deductible when the other party's insurance wouldn't play ball. :shrug:

I paid it to the body shop when picking up my car, though, and it'll probably be stuck in subrogation forever.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Try SA Mart. Check what they're going for on ebay and throw them up for around there or a little under.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

bend posted:

Got my ute back.

Been sitting in my mates backyard just about two years since I sold it to him on the theory he was going to do the work I couldn't afford to do at the time and actually fix the bloody thing. He never ended up doing anything and offered to sell it back a couple of months ago, and wrote of the remaining money last week as a christmas present, nice oval office that he is .
Be a while till she's on the road (Oh god , the rust), I want to do a few things first and I'm debating chucking in a 253 or 308 too so a bit too sort, but nice to have it back.

Holy poo poo a HQ one tonner! I hope you get it running again. My dad always wanted to start a business in the 80s where he would go and buy up the One Tonners and refurbish them.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

You Am I posted:

Holy poo poo a HQ one tonner! I hope you get it running again. My dad always wanted to start a business in the 80s where he would go and buy up the One Tonners and refurbish them.

It is running, a 202 and traumatic but the 202's got a mild cam, headers and short exhaust so it's not too bad.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yay, ice. :(

I put Winter tires on my wife's Juke yesterday because of the ice. It handled our slanted driveway fine, jamming the brakes made the tires dig through the ice with no problem.

This morning? As soon as I hit the driveway with all 4 tires, it slid all the way down with the wheels locked. Then, on the way in, I made it 1/3 of the way up, only to do a slow pirouette in the middle of the driveway. I tried backing in next, getting more weight on the drive wheels and having the drive wheels in back... with no additional luck. Finally, I backed up across the street and made a run for it. That got me into the garage, but drat. Black ice is the worst weather condition for driving.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Time to run into work for a bit.

I also need to run my arc flash jumpsuit through the wash today. Gotta check the laundering instructions it's got this chemical in it so it doesn't immediately catch fire when exposed to a moderate arc.

The suit is rated for 20 calories per square centimeter - for comparison taking a cherry-red car cigarette lighter and firmly pressing it on the skin for one second is roughly one calorie per square cm. I believe that's the upper limit for a first-degree burn. Painful but fully recoverable.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 18, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Yes.

In Collegiate Footballs case, however, I more dislike how most major universities get sucked into them, a program that is largely just an NFL recruitment and training camp, while distracting from actual important things that Universities should be doing, like R&D and actual classwork. They are financial black holes for donations and college budgets.

If only those colleges hosted big events full of dumb drunk people to spend all there money at......I guess I should have said if only the colleges used this money wisely. College football is way to hyped up 95% of the time. And schools should take money They make off the games and use it to further education.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

As someone with small kids that won't be able to see rogue one right away I appreciate the copious amounts of spoiler tags :hfive:

slidebite posted:

No kids but ^^ same. :)

I didn't see the last one until it hit Bluray a few months ago, and I'll probably be the same with this.
The good news, is that while people can probably "spoil" certain aspects of it, like how the plot resolves situation X, the very nature of the film makes it very difficult to actively ruin ot for someone. What can you say? They build a Death Star. Rebels steal the plans for it. All the big-picture stuff has been laid out as needing to happen a certain way for decades.

Speaking to friends who haven't seen it, the only thing they said was a potential point was the background of the main protagonist, as something that's had a lot of speculation - but that's basically laid out in the very first scene, so even if someone spoiled it, it's not doing that much harm overall.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

clam ache posted:

If only those colleges hosted big events full of dumb drunk people to spend all there money at......I guess I should have said if only the colleges used this money wisely. College football is way to hyped up 95% of the time. And schools should take money They make off the games and use it to further education.

The vast majority of schools outside of the big Div1 names don't make money on their football teams.

That said, it is absolutely a problem that the NCAA is effectively the NFL's farm system, at the cost of the schools rather than the absurdly profitable commercial league.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As a current student, it pisses me off when they shut down campus and prohibit student parking (which we pay for :argh:) in all but like 2 garages, and they lock and rope off all the buildings so you can't really go in anyway. It's no big deal; why would engineering students ever need more than lecture time on campus?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

clam ache posted:

Not really sure what you're talking about.. Our college hypes football as much as the next and as a result people come to games, etc.. Also the money is being used in the break to refresh parking lots and adding an additional one. Last year it also updated the facade on a few buildings, year before last a new cafeteria. So, yes. It's hyped but for good cause that the money actually gets used elsewhere on campus. Classroom materials and other things are already included in lifecycle funding. The less bonds we conceive, the better it is for the community.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I'm sure you know this but winter tires are not enough for ice and if you live in an icy area you should be studding your tires.

It shouldn't bear mentioning but it's rather peeving states with regular below freezing temperatures do not require studded winter tires by law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

bend posted:

Got my ute back.

drat I love Utes

Yesterday was mid 40's and rain all day, this morning I woke up to almost 70 and rain. Since then (~8 hours) it's dropped 35 degrees and the rain has slowed a bit. Forecast says temps continue to drop until 25 at 7am tomorrow morning. Hopefully the ground is warm enough everything doesn't turn into an ice rink. Neighbors have preemptively started moving vehicles to the bottom of the neighborhood.

• Locked thread