Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pershing posted:

St. Dymphyna please pray with us.

(reads her legend) Wow, if I were assigning her a sainthood outside of Tradition, I'd have made her the Patron of incest survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

One time at Christian camp...

Hold on I'll get back to you after the worship leader finishes up. The praise band is on their seventh song and they're all going strong.

How long do I have to hold my hands in the air for? Asking for a friend.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

WerrWaaa posted:

Everyone finish this sentence.

One time at Christian camp we had such a great music class that it ended up spawning a band/music group that recorded three cds worth of original songs and played at most to 2500ish people. To my knowledge about a quarter of those people still either have a career in music or at least play/sing in concerts to this day.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

WerrWaaa posted:

One week, during my time as a counselor at a Bible camp, I had kitchen duty. Kitchen duty was great because you got way more breaks than other jobs, and you got to joke around with campers and help out with some of their fun activities without the round-the-clock responsibility of looking after 3-10 middle schoolers for a week. One of my fellow counselors and I were taking it easy between lunch and supper one day, hanging out in a staff-only building. I was relaxing on a couch and she was sprawled out on the floor. As I sat and read my book, she proceeded to initiate a phone call and have a long and detailed conversation with a friend about sex and relationships, which included her saying things like YEAH, MY GIRLFRIEND AND I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT BRINGING A GUY INTO THE BEDROOM WITH US IF WE COULD FIND THE RIGHT ONE. In my younger days I was shy and anxious, and while I was not officially a goon, I was totally a goon. Thus, I reacted to hearing these things in the following way: 1) why is she talking about all this sex stuff with me right here? we don't really know each other that well, 2) oh holy poo poo is she trying to give me a hint? 3) *sits silently for the duration of the phone call and never speaks about this until posting it a decade later on a humor website*

i have many other stories

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 18, 2016

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

One day at altar servers camp I did a moronic jump to impress some of the younger children and the main thing I remember is the disgusting krrrk sound my neck made as I fell on my head and this is something I never ever want to hear again

I totally rocked the robot on the dance floor later that day tho (because my neck hurt so bad that it was the only thing I could do)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One day at church camp I was helping load luggage into the church van to go home and dropped a very heavy box on my toes. I was forced to stay completely silent the entire 14 hour drive home and the pastor talked to my parents because I took the Lord's name in vain loudly and repeatedly among other words I wasn't supposed to know or use.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What's church camp?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

my dad posted:

What's church camp?

Christian rock

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

my dad posted:

What's church camp?

It's where the sermon is really tacky and overboard in a deliberate way.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
The closest I've been to church camp was a church camping trip where several of the families and the minister all went out camping at a site for a few days. It wasn't really a big thing in Congregationalism. Or, at least, in our church.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

WerrWaaa posted:

One time at christian camp two camp counselors had sex and ignored a kid and then he drowned in a lake

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

One time at christian camp two camp counselors had sex and ignored a kid and then he drowned in a lake

*friday the 13th theme intensifies*

Actually, though, there's a Presbyterian church camp in FL where they bought the land from an old woman whose five year old son drowned on the property; she refused to sell it for a long time since his grave is still on the lakeshore and she wanted it protected. And of course the lake's name is Crystal Lake because why wouldn't it be.

Have fun kids!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Phlegmatist posted:

*friday the 13th theme intensifies*

Actually, though, there's a Presbyterian church camp in FL where they bought the land from an old woman whose five year old son drowned on the property; she refused to sell it for a long time since his grave is still on the lakeshore and she wanted it protected. And of course the lake's name is Crystal Lake because why wouldn't it be.

Have fun kids!

Bloody hellfire, why not just go the whole hog and build a hockey rink and chainsaw repair shop on the site, just to really hammer it home.

The only church camp I was ever told about was that "Jesus Camp" one, where there is an awful lot of crying about Jesus and various terrifying depictions of the hereafter.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

drat, is Caravaggio the saint of rocking out? BECAUSE HE SHOULD BE

WerrWaaa posted:

One time at a priory, we all stole their poo poo and sailed donuts in their bay. 10/10 would visit lindisfarne again.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Tias posted:

One time at a priory, we all stole their poo poo and sailed donuts in their bay. 10/10 would visit lindisfarne again.

ugh too soon

Tias
May 25, 2008

Sorry :( I have the flu so bad I missed the winter blót and it's made me all kinds of cranky

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tias posted:

Sorry :( I have the flu so bad I missed the winter blót and it's made me all kinds of cranky

hi5 in bed feeling miserable buddies, sinus infections and post-nasal drip are miserable :smith:

Sucks you missed the blot, I'm praying for all the ill, it's that time of year.

e: google tells me Michael is the patron of the sick, any other cool saints for that?

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 18, 2016

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

hi5 in bed feeling miserable buddies, sinus infections and post-nasal drip are miserable :smith:

Sucks you missed the blot, I'm praying for all the ill, it's that time of year.

e: google tells me Michael is the patron of the sick, any other cool saints for that?

Saint Blaise is your man for all your URIs and URTIs. There's many other saints that are called upon for specific illnesses, I know there's some female saint who deals with eye problems.

Mass is pretty cool today, anybody who's thinking about going should. Today's reading also gives you the opportunity to think to yourself "well actually it just means young woman", though to be fair our priest did bring it up. His argument was that the bible translators wanted to show God's power more strongly by inserting a miracle.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

my dad posted:

What's church camp?

What is it, actually? I mean, I know what it is here in Finland and I have some idea about American evangelical camps mostly through horror stories but do share.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Valiantman posted:

What is it, actually? I mean, I know what it is here in Finland and I have some idea about American evangelical camps mostly through horror stories but do share.

Well, you have Vacation Bible School which is more for younger kids, a couple weeks during the summer your parents drop you off for the day and pick you up in the late afternoon. Bible study, singing, playground activities, then at the end all the kids put on a performance with skits and songs for the parents and community.

Then you have actual church camp, I went to one of those every summer from like 4th-8th grade and a couple times in high school was a counselor. Each denomination runs their own camps but they aren't exclusive to members, I went to Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopalian and non-denominational camps. As in many other aspects, there's a lot of overlap and cooperation between American Protestant denominations. There's a ton of different types of camps with various themes and geared toward different ages, lasting from a few days to a week or more.

Really it was pretty benign and nothing like the Jesus Camp documentary, that's pretty far out into the Evangelical/Charismatic strains of Christianity. Campfires, singing, Bible study, sports and outdoor activities, hiking, arts/crafts, etc.

I can't really say anything ill about church camps based on my experience, it was good and fun.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

There was a lot of sex and drugs at church camp in my experience

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

There was a lot of sex and drugs at church camp in my experience

I mean, that wouldn't surprise me but all the camps I went to ran a tight ship. Boys and girls in segregated sleeping quarters, quiet hours / curfew pretty strictly enforced, etc.

I suppose if I'd been a camper in high school it would've been a different story, but I was a counselor in high school and that doesn't leave much room for hijinks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The camp I worked at was a nonprofit corporation that was owned by several dozen congregations in that area, all of the congregations being of the same denomination. It was pretty laid back and they hired counselors even if they weren't of that denomination: for example, I also attended this camp when I was a kid, and I had a counselor one year who was Catholic. During one of our Bible-study times, he explained to my cabin-mates and me that one way to think about praying to Mary is that she was Jesus's mom, and it's like in our own lives, sometimes instead of talking directly to someone you talk to a friend or family member of theirs. I don't know how correct that is, but I've always remembered it because I think it was a key moment for me growing up: I had a very distinct realization that maybe sometimes my preconceived ideas about other peoples' beliefs are not necessarily right, and that I can learn from someone who thinks differently than me even if I don't go on to adopt their "different" beliefs.

My camp was also, like Pellisworth's, very structured. Most of our programs lasted one week, and there was a schedule where generally each day had the same activity happening at the same time. For example, maybe you had nature hour every day at 1 PM, campfire worship service at 8 PM, and so on. The camp was also divided into "pink", "blue", and "purple" areas, which you can probably guess are the areas that were gender-segregated (the pink/blue areas were basically camper cabins and bathrooms). We also had counselors and staff who would patrol during free times, which meant using a golf cart to ride around and make sure that kids weren't sneaking off into the woods to play "doctor" or anything. And like any responsible organization dealing with kids, we had full background checks for employees, and training about how to protect against abuse occurring.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(reads her legend) Wow, if I were assigning her a sainthood outside of Tradition, I'd have made her the Patron of incest survivors.

She's one of those patrons where the story doesn't do much for me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pershing posted:

She's one of those patrons where the story doesn't do much for me.
having been trapped in a house with a crazy person, the opposite for me

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

How big are your camps?

I mean, a camp of multiple weeks is already something that goes WAY beyond normal around here. Roughly a week seems to be the norm, maybe 12 days if it's a confirmation school camp by a non-parish organization. Younger kids might stay for a couple of nights in their camps. Outside summer vacations you obviously can't camp for longer than a weekend no matter the age. The church regulations heavily recommend one employee per 10 underage kids so costs shoot up fast if you go for too big or too long. I guess more populous parishes might even have 100 strong camps if they have a good place for it but 20-50 participants seems more normal to me.

Sex and drugs sounds completely alien. I might be a bit naive but I've yet to come across a camp where such thing would even be possible on the regular. Sure, some clever couple might manage to get some private time on some rare camp but supervision is normally really strict due to safety regulations. (Not specifically in order to prevent them from doing anything forbidden, just to keep them accounted for.) Even cigarettes usually get you caught so it's hard to imagine drugs would pass unnoticed easily. Other than that, it seems the activities aren't too different.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 18, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Valiantman posted:

How big are your camps?

I mean, a camp of multiple weeks is already something that goes WAY beyond normal around here. Roughly a week seems to be the norm, maybe 12 days if it's a confirmation school camp by a non-parish organization. Younger kids might stay for a couple of nights in their camps. Outside summer vacations you obviously can't camp for longer than a weekend no matter the age. The church regulations heavily recommend one employee per 10 underage kids so costs shoot up fast if you go for too big or too long. I guess more populous parishes might even have 100 strong camps if they have a good place for it but 20-50 participants seems more normal to me.

Sex and drugs sounds completely alien. I might be a bit naive but I've yet to come across a camp where such thing would even be possible on the regular. Sure, some clever couple might manage to get some private time on some rare camp but supervision is normally really strict due to safety regulations. (Not specifically in order to prevent them from doing anything forbidden, just to keep them accounted for.) Even cigarettes usually get you caught so it's hard to imagine drugs would pass unnoticed easily. Other than that, it seems the activities aren't too different.

Yeah this sounds about like how it's done in America. About one counselor per 10-15 kids, camps were anywhere from a couple nights to a week or slightly more. Ten days for "adventure" type camps for older kids where you might be out backpacking or whatever.

The camp staff wasn't super draconian about segregation and rules, but very vigilant and you'd get a gentle warning. The implication was there that the staff is watching, and if you do try something they will catch you.

Plus, it's not like middle schoolers are crafty enough to get away with breaking rules, violating gender segregation (only applies to sleeping quarters and bathrooms), etc.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 19, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Valiantman posted:

How big are your camps?

Been reading up on WW2 and thought we were taking a really dark turn all of a sudden.

As someone from the UK, I only recently found out that you guys have stupidly long summer holidays is that why you have various different sorts of "camp"? Because i always just stayed with the folks and went round to friends houses.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Summer vacation in the US is usually somewhere around 8 to 12 weeks long, yeah. Typically with 2-3 weeks off around Christmas and a week off in the spring. Where I went to school we also had a week off in February intended to shrink to accommodate snow days, but that went away before I finished High School.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

hailthefish posted:

Summer vacation in the US is usually somewhere around 8 to 12 weeks long, yeah. Typically with 2-3 weeks off around Christmas and a week off in the spring. Where I went to school we also had a week off in february but that went away before I finished High School.

See, from what I remember it was always "2 weeks Chirstmas and Easter, 4 weeks at summer" and then half terms that are usually about halfway through the terms (for obvious reasons)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
3 month-ish holidays in Lithuania.

Never went to no Bible camp, but I did go to Taize once. Most people I went with used it as a way to get drunk in Fance or something.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If you take anything away from this conversation, I hope it's that Christian theology and organization are extremely different between denominations, regions, and ethnic traditions.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

If you take anything away from this conversation, I hope it's that Christian theology and organization are extremely different between denominations, regions, and ethnic traditions.

Important point, and that goes for all religion, really. I had a talk with a muslim friend yesterday about how much of the flak directed at religion is actually aimed at specific, local traditions.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Church camps kinda fell out of favor with the hardcore Calvinists in the US. I don't think there's enough of them in the US to sustain a whole bunch of them anymore. I read over curricula for one in the 19th century though (because some Reformed churches still use that method in their Sunday Schools) and it's literally just memorizing Bible verses. For hours at a time. Over the course of three weeks. Good ol' Puritans.

There's also a Sunday School course for Grades 1-3 titled Suffer Little Children Which, yes is an excerpt from Matt. 19:14 but really.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that sounds like the most self aware sunday school ever. like they had to know what it sounded like and were just, "well i mean i doubt most of them want to be here so i guess they're sufferin"

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
courtney vanessa arthur's death and the connection to somethingawful and hippopod and wiki-kathy aka nightbae daywheat, aka let it mellow, aka dad gay so what

courtney was an archetypal feminist that believed in give and take sexual relationships

she was not a no means no absolutist or a yes means yes fascist

when her ideas were making her more cutting edge than other feminists on SomethingAwful people got jealous

kate aka wiki-kathy, nightbae day wheat, let it mellow, just ray, dad gay so what, and many other names, and courtney both were SA goons, both went to the same high school in Mississauga, and were rivals. courtneys sister was involved in real life gangs and also a goon, kate admitted to me her grandparents are neo nazis, her sister and her are both involved in hells angels.

with somethingawful's connection to the drug trade via companies like canadarc.ca (now on some other domain) and various private message and offsite web communities that launder money for it the young generation of more militant feminists affiliated with hells angels and e-gangs felt threatened

in my opinion one very disturbed individual many of you know named k8, who was heir to an AB drug family in southern ontario and rival at courtney's highschool decided to use her family influence to hire a hit on courtney via the traditional hells angels biker way

- mid day vehicular homicide

quote:

O’Neill said Sippel’s “astonishing” driving record shows he has no regard for others on the roads and that his sentence needed to reflect that his actions in the fatal crash are even more serious because he was sober. Unimpaired by drugs or alcohol, O’Neill said the respiratory therapist was in a hurry to get to work in Toronto. His decisions that day were “deliberate and calculated.”

quote:

Justice Bird said Sippel had tried to lessen his involvement by lying.

“He deliberately misled the investigating officer and me.”

The judge noted Sippel has “a lack of insight into his culpability.”

One of the factors in her decision, she noted, was that Sippel took “no evasive action” to avoid the three cyclists. The sentence, she added must reflect “a very high level of moral blameworthiness.”

rip girl i knew id catch the people that did this poo poo to you sooner or later

go figure hells angels moved online

Emily Township man sentenced to five years in prison in crash that killed cyclist

Courtney Vanessa Arthur

you stole this from the world kate with your own mental illness and crime family shariaa law system

gently caress you take responsibility for the murder for hire you did

when i showed you her memorial i had no idea you went to the same highschool till you told me, and laughed at her memorial website

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686647

HateCrimeDoxNet fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 19, 2016

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I miss Kyoon.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HateCrimeDoxNet posted:

:words:

Yeah, but where do funny hats and incense figure into all that?

Tias
May 25, 2008

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, but where do funny hats and incense figure into all that?

They posted the exact same thing in TCCs heroin and addiction threads, so.. probably someone losing it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Vehicular homicide in school rivalry gone bad through feminism and drug deals

• Locked thread