Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
Wasn't this after their first constructors win since like 1979? I could be very very wrong though

E: I am wrong, they were just partying real hard after winning the constructors for that year. They won in 1999, and before that 1983.

aequalis fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Alain Post posted:

I love Kimi and I still don't understand the idea that he had a particularly good year this season.

If Vettel had a poo poo year and Kimi had a great one then what does that say about either of them

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

HJB posted:

If Vettel had a poo poo year and Kimi had a great one then what does that say about either of them

lol Ferrari?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HJB posted:

Ferrari is bad.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Raikkonen got rammed by Mad Max more

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raikkonen also got told to move over for Vettel a whole bunch. If he felt like racing, he probably would have more points than Vettel. He was only unleashed once Vettel crashed out.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

HJB posted:

They both are frauds

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

Ferrari is bad.

Hot tip: Ferrari are good and cool but don't hold any hope that they're going to win anything.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Ferrari are good and cool

You deserve your avatar.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

You deserve your avatar.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND KNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT!!!!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

You deserve your avatar.

That av is a black mark on this thread

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GramCracker posted:

That av is a black mark on this thread

Just like the posts beside it :smug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

:vince:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Powershift posted:

:iceburn:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Powershift posted:

Yooooooooooooooooooooo :boom:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I have nothing but quality well thought out posts and this avatar was inflicted on me because of other people's jealousy and petulance.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

I have nothing but quality well thought out posts and this avatar was inflicted on me because of other people's jealousy and petulance.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Bwoah

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Reading motorsport.com and it seems obvious Merc are gonna sign Bottas

Lewis is gonna beat him harder than he beat Heikki

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

El Hefe posted:

There's quite a few rumours Williams are trying to buy back Massa for 2017. That kinda speaks to that.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

El Hefe posted:

Depends. In the first year, he drat well better. He knows the team, and rule changes notwithstanding, he should be a million miles ahead of the game in understanding the car. If they sign Bottas for more than 1 year, then who knows? Bottas might rally.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

It would be hilarious to see Bottas comprehensively beat Lewis and it turns out the tired old scared puppy really wasn't that far off the pace after all. Not going to happen, but I can dream.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah zero chance Bottas beats Hamilton. I just hope the Mercedes isn't so loving dominate in 2017.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Norns posted:

Yeah zero chance Bottas beats Hamilton. I just hope the Mercedes isn't so loving dominate in 2017.

You never know. Not many people thought Rosberg of all people would take a title from Hamilton in the same car, but here we are. But yeah I'd expect that in 2017 it'd be all Hamilton between the two of them. Whether or not Merc is still the team to beat remains to be seen. Red Bull seems like a likely contender, and who knows McLaren might finally get all their ducks in a row.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
At the end of the 2015 season I said Nico Rosberg 2016 WDC, I predicted it.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

El Hefe posted:

At the end of the 2015 season I said Nico Rosberg 2016 WDC, I predicted it.

I mean you had a 50/50 chance.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They're not changing the engine formula are they? Mercedes WCC 2017.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

They're not changing the engine formula are they? Mercedes WCC 2017.

They're opening up development though

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So the unstoppable German engineering can leap righteously even further ahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyE_OiDVXCo

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm looking forward to 2017, the year of Formule 1 Wereldkampioen Max Emilian Verstappen

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

1500quidporsche posted:

I hear you brother.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Norns posted:

Yeah zero chance Bottas beats Hamilton.

People said the same when Button went to McLaren.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Among other things I hope the new, leveler field means a better year for our mate Dan, because I think he's a great guy and obviously a great driver and I want to see him on every podium.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Pirate Radar posted:

Among other things I hope the new, leveler field means a better year for our mate Dan, because I think he's a great guy and obviously a great driver and I want to see him on every podium.

I totally agree, it's a shame Red Bull swapped Max in for him

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

HJB posted:

I totally agree, it's a shame Red Bull swapped Max in for him

lol

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Incoming Formula 1 owner Liberty Media is reported to be evaluating plans for an introduction of a budget cap for competing teams.

quote:

The American media organisation has recently announced it had reached an agreement with third-party investors to fund its acquisition of F1.

According to a report in the business section of British broadsheet The Telegraph, a spending cap is among Liberty's future plans for Formula 1 - with the category's top manufacturers significantly outspending the smaller, independent teams under the existing model.

The report quotes an unnamed senior source familiar with Liberty's cost-cap plans as saying: "It makes no sense to have teams spending the better part of $400m. That money is not doing anything good for fans. It is just wasted on competing on technology.

"That has not been driven by logic and it has created a two-class society in terms of what is spent on teams. You should have an opportunity for the underdog to win."

Various budget-limiting measures have been on and off the F1 agenda for the better part of the past decade.

A 2009 plan to introduce a £40 million limit had triggered quit threats from Ferrari and Red Bull among others before it was shelved, while the proposal to introduce a cost cap for 2015 fell through when the teams making up the F1 Strategy Group expressed their belief that it was not possible to enforce.

More recently, an agreed-on price ceiling of $12 million per season for customer engines was scrapped due to a Ferrari veto.

The Telegraph reports that Liberty is aware it will need to negotiate with the teams to garner support for this renewed cost cap push, and quotes a company source as saying: "The biggest thing we’ve got to change is culture. Right now, nobody trusts anybody."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/liberty-planning-f1-budget-cap-report-860066/

I don't like the way that was worded at all. F1 is absolutely competition of technology in addition to competition of the drivers themselves. Ugh, gently caress off.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Time to see how Ferrari will do their creative accounting in the future.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wirth1000 posted:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/liberty-planning-f1-budget-cap-report-860066/

I don't like the way that was worded at all. F1 is absolutely competition of technology in addition to competition of the drivers themselves. Ugh, gently caress off.

On one hand, a budget cap does limit tech coming out of F1. To a point mind you, but apart from the split turbo with the current formula (and probably some hybrid tech that's trickling down, but you could argue LMP1/Formula E is better for that), what big tech developments in prior eras made it to your car?

On the other hand, without a cap, you end up with the same teams dominating over and over again and the mid/backfield teams dying, only to be bought out and failing to get any traction in its new iteration. In the last 10 seasons, we've had 5 different constructors win a WDC, 4 if you want to count Brawn and Merc as the same. Seven of those were between two of them (8 if you again count Brawn as Merc). Since the 2000 season, Ferrari has won 6 WDCs, Red Bull 4, Mercedes 3, Renault 2, and McLaren and Brawn 1. Parity in F1 is poo poo, and it's partially why people don't want to watch anymore.

tl;dr: It's a double edged sword. A cap means more likely a chance at parity, but restricts development.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Let's keep in mind that Liberty literally doesn't have the power to do this, FOM is not the FIA, they don't make the rules. No one at Liberty is going to hold the same level of influence as Bernie.

But yes, it is a bad idea that is impossible to police. How do you enforce a budget cap on Mercedes, for example, when they can (and do) consider some of their engine budget to be road car R&D?

• Locked thread