Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I finally switched away from Firefox due to various problems but the lack of Tab Mix Plus in this is really annoying. Any way to get clicked links to a different domain than you're currently on to open in a new tab? Or at least just links on my bookmark bar? I'm sick of control clicking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Click with the mouse wheel?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is there a way to generate a Chrome user profile without running the browser?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Chrome, for no reason that I can figure out, suddenly has a problem loading anything by Google.

Google searches are now slow, google drive/docs has a 50/50 chance of loading at all, gmail is slow, youtube is slow, etc etc. Anything else I browse works just fine - the forums load fine, twitter works, etc etc - but not google.

Of course it works fine in firefox, but I don't want to go back to firefox.

And - of course - if I google this, it just takes me to people complaining about chrome being slow. So. Help?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

sauer kraut posted:

Click with the mouse wheel?

Yes I'm aware but I want to change the default behavior, not use a different workaround.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

StrixNebulosa posted:

Chrome, for no reason that I can figure out, suddenly has a problem loading anything by Google.

Google searches are now slow, google drive/docs has a 50/50 chance of loading at all, gmail is slow, youtube is slow, etc etc. Anything else I browse works just fine - the forums load fine, twitter works, etc etc - but not google.

Of course it works fine in firefox, but I don't want to go back to firefox.

And - of course - if I google this, it just takes me to people complaining about chrome being slow. So. Help?

You install any new extensions recently? This happened to me, but I wasn't able to use any Google pages at all, after I had installed some new extensions. I uninstalled the new ones, and it stopped happening. Sorry I don't remember the name of the extensions.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mu Zeta posted:

So Youtube freezes for around 5 seconds almost every time I go there. I know it's because of uBlock Origin but I don't know how to fix it. I think it has something to do with loading the subscription list because if I log out of my Youtube account then it doesn't freeze anymore. I removed uBLock Origin and tried Adblock Plus instead and the same thing happens.

Anyone else having this problem? Looking around it seems people on Firefox experience the same thing and it has something to do with easylist.

Orido Mitsumo
Sep 14, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Anyone else having this problem? Looking around it seems people on Firefox experience the same thing and it has something to do with easylist.

I am also having this same problem.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

but I want to change the default behavior
Haha, welcome to Chrome, good luck with that! ;)

Sorry but you should stick to Firefox (like I do). Chrome just overall much less customizable and extendable. Some things cannot be changed, although I don't know specifically if you can change click / Ctrl+click behavior.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's what I ended up doing. Apparently this was in Chrome Toolbox awhile ago but was deprecated because "Google". I looked through the current API, figuring I could do it myself but it doesn't seem like its possible. I nuked my old Firefox profile which solved most of the performance issues and started out with a barebones addon set, much happier now. Shame because I just wanted to change a few odds and ends with Chrome but oh well.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Not sure why, but anytime I go to a Kickstarter link, my entire computer locks up for up to a minute, even in incognito. Works fine on Firefox, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Anybody else remember when Chrome used to be the small fast browser? *sob*

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

KaLogain posted:

You install any new extensions recently? This happened to me, but I wasn't able to use any Google pages at all, after I had installed some new extensions. I uninstalled the new ones, and it stopped happening. Sorry I don't remember the name of the extensions.

I removed an extension I installed recently and it didn't fix it...but a day later it went back to working fine. So I don't even know.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MohShuvuu posted:

Not sure why, but anytime I go to a Kickstarter link, my entire computer locks up for up to a minute, even in incognito. Works fine on Firefox, though.

Chrome is trying to save you.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
It's literally because I browse the Kickstarter thread that I noticed the links to it are crashing Chrome.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The worst thing about chrome isn't the memory hogging, its the fact that downloading something opens up a big loving ugly bar right across the bottom of the screen. I actually yearn for the old popup you got for downloads in IE7 and below. Is there any way to change this behavior?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is probably an extension or something. The download bar seems pretty unobtrusive to me tho.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

There's a bug on MacOS at least that when the download bar disappears the window shrinks to the view size with the bar. That's weird and annoying.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

codo27 posted:

The worst thing about chrome isn't the memory hogging, its the fact that downloading something opens up a big loving ugly bar right across the bottom of the screen. I actually yearn for the old popup you got for downloads in IE7 and below. Is there any way to change this behavior?

I use this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/always-clear-downloads/cpbmgiffkljiglnpdbljhlenaikojapc

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there a way to generate a Chrome user profile without running the browser?

Is there any way to do this? Preferably something 'cleaner' than sticking it in the default hive RunOnce or something?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there any way to do this? Preferably something 'cleaner' than sticking it in the default hive RunOnce or something?

I have no idea if this would work, but what about making a clean profile and then just copying its folder when needed?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I have no idea if this would work, but what about making a clean profile and then just copying its folder when needed?

This works too from what I've tested, but also seems a bit hacked together and there might be some effect from user-specific stuff I haven't seen yet. I'd rather just have it launch on logon.

Basically I'm wondering if there's a supported way to do this, like a built in switch or something, since Legacy Browser Support does not work without a preexisting cache.dat in the profile. If not, the workarounds are good enough.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 21, 2016

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

codo27 posted:

I've just got the keyboard shortcuts to open the downloads window and then close that tab memorized. Cmd-Shift-J, Cmd-W, no more bar. I guess I should look into the extension though as that might make it less painful.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Anyone have unpredictable copy & paste in Chrome lately?

Many times I'll highlight some text and copy it and when I go to paste it the previous thing I copied on my clipboard is pasted.

This is on Windows 10 and is really frustrating.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

WorkingStiff posted:

Anyone have unpredictable copy & paste in Chrome lately?

Many times I'll highlight some text and copy it and when I go to paste it the previous thing I copied on my clipboard is pasted.

This is on Windows 10 and is really frustrating.
I've seen this on my work PC running Windows 7 but I just assumed it was the PC. I haven't seen it happen at home yet.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The Ultrawide Video extension I have has been disabled by Chrome due to permission changes.

The changes are:

-Read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
-Display notifications.

Anyone know more about this? Kinda looks shady.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Something fucky is afoot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/5i3scy/google_chrome_thinks_im_in_the_netherlands/

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/ipeZF-NFllo

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/websearch/Lwk_-8fnNuE/W5167gyJDQAJ

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/YgzneiQxxGY

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Has anyone been experiencing YouTube videos not loading until you refresh a few times? I removed the YouTube app from chrome and it still happens.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes I have. It sucks. And the youtube page still freezes for 5-10 seconds.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

MohShuvuu posted:

Has anyone been experiencing YouTube videos not loading until you refresh a few times? I removed the YouTube app from chrome and it still happens.

Yes. It doesn't seem to happen if I load in incognito, but I already cleared cache/cookies and played with extensions.

Sometimes the video will actually load up if I wait or bounce between tabs. I think it's something wrong with the HTML5 streaming.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Disable flash if you haven't already; mine always has a delay if it's enabled.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's disabled.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What's the best Chrome App to record poo poo I have typed in to forms? I've used Comment Save over the years but it works like 25% of the time. You had one job! Just keylog like everything I type into Chrome fields no matter what, and have a way for my to comb through them later, that's it!

Edit: Alternatively if there's some kind of secure, reputable keylogger for my entire PC I'd go for that. Assuming like, a real US company backing it, or an established open-source project.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Zero VGS posted:

What's the best Chrome App to record poo poo I have typed in to forms? I've used Comment Save over the years but it works like 25% of the time. You had one job! Just keylog like everything I type into Chrome fields no matter what, and have a way for my to comb through them later, that's it!

Edit: Alternatively if there's some kind of secure, reputable keylogger for my entire PC I'd go for that. Assuming like, a real US company backing it, or an established open-source project.

Lastpass has a pretty sweet form fill function.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

How do I get rid of the graphical effect when I hit my bookmark toolbar buttons? I find it really distracting and annoying. I managed to google a fix when it was first introduced but it seems to have reset somehow and I can't find it this time.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Material design has made the numbers on my extensions like Todoist so small as to be virtually unreadable. Thanks Google, that's terribly helpful.

I assume this is just the new normal now?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why do my fonts look like poo poo?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MohShuvuu posted:

Yes, mine has been doing this something fierce for the last couple of days. When the video finally does play, the play/pause buttons flash and dance around. YT videos do the same thing on Edge, though.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've not been having any issues out of YouTube....but I am also running Magic Options and it's got some sort of alternate buffering, which between that and disabling autoplay, all my YouTube issues are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Is there a way to disable Custom Tabs? I just want everything to open in the browser, it's especially annoying for things like search results.