Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elblanco
May 26, 2008

inflatable fish posted:

loved the setting, art direction and overall aesthetics.
loved the housing system.
absolutely loved the combat mechanics – yes, even though they turned pvp into one huge clusterfuck.

but even all that couldn't outweigh the horrible TEDIUM that permeated every aspect of the game, from questing through crafting, attunement grind (UUUUGHHH!) to endgame progression.

stopped playing about two months after I hit 50.

I quit about 2 weeks after getting to 50, Having to jump through so many hoops at 50 just to get into heroic dungeons, and I got to 50 just after arcterra came out. Arcterra was just as much of a clusterfuck because it was supposed to be a catchup zone, but needed just as much gearing up as the dungeons did. So it took days to just get one piece of gear, which would then allow you to do like ONE more daily. Such a pile of poo poo.

I will say that I enjoyed the dungeon bosses, they had just enough to them to be fun, and very satisfying to beat. Stormtalon's lair was a legit awesome instance, too bad the rest of the game sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

inflatable fish posted:

absolutely loved the combat mechanics – yes, even though they turned pvp into one huge clusterfuck.

Even interrupt armor? I guess it makes sense if you want to have interrupting be a raid mechanic, but the cooldown coordination it required even for dungeons and some adventures felt like serious overkill. One of my biggest problems with the game was that it felt like you had to be "on" for 100% of the combat. That's fine if you're playing Bayonetta or something, but seems excessive for an MMO they're hoping people will spend 1000s of hours on.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

Even interrupt armor? I guess it makes sense if you want to have interrupting be a raid mechanic, but the cooldown coordination it required even for dungeons and some adventures felt like serious overkill. One of my biggest problems with the game was that it felt like you had to be "on" for 100% of the combat. That's fine if you're playing Bayonetta or something, but seems excessive for an MMO they're hoping people will spend 1000s of hours on.

interrupt armour was an ok idea that was badly implemented: it would've been just fine as a gimmick for a couple bosses but when every single encounter used it, it got old real fast. but it's not the fault in the mchanic itself but rather a symptom of the "overhardcoreness" of a lot of the endgame, which in turn was a result of Carbine completely making GBS threads the bed in terms of choosing their target demographic.

that said, I actually rarely had trouble coordinating interrupts even in pugs but that might've been because I always ran 2 of them myself as a stalker tank, which gave the rest of the group a bit more room for error. after a while it became p. much muscle memory for me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

inflatable fish posted:

interrupt armour was an ok idea that was badly implemented: it would've been just fine as a gimmick for a couple bosses but when every single encounter used it, it got old real fast. but it's not the fault in the mchanic itself but rather a symptom of the "overhardcoreness" of a lot of the endgame, which in turn was a result of Carbine completely making GBS threads the bed in terms of choosing their target demographic.

that said, I actually rarely had trouble coordinating interrupts even in pugs but that might've been because I always ran 2 of them myself as a stalker tank, which gave the rest of the group a bit more room for error. after a while it became p. much muscle memory for me.

Every encounter didn't require it. There's only a few bosses in the dungeon series that were a hard wipe if you hosed up (Stormtalon being the most notable) and the optional boss in the jungle dungeon. The rest of the time it was just an easy way to avoid certain mechanics or speed the fight up.

In the raids if everyone brought one interupt you were fairly golden.

For the other things people have mentioned: By the time F2P dropped the attunement was mostly "Can clear all of the dungeon content". When we first building our raid team it wasn't unusual for someone to ding 50 and by the next week be attuned with a set of raid ready gear fully runed and ready to go and with enough leftover rune materials to start stuffing raid gear full of them as they dropped.

I still maintain that out of all the F2P games I've played over the years this is probably the closest to AAA quality of the bunch, and if they made it a lot more alt friendly I'd still be playing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Every encounter didn't require it. There's only a few bosses in the dungeon series that were a hard wipe if you hosed up (Stormtalon being the most notable) and the optional boss in the jungle dungeon. The rest of the time it was just an easy way to avoid certain mechanics or speed the fight up.

That means, with the spergs that would be the kind of people to still be playing wildstar, that it was always required or your group would break. If your mmo requires you to maintain a roster of guildmates in order to play the most basic aspect of the game, it's not gonna work. Wildstar is kind of proof that that kind of mmo is dead. Your content needs to be clearable by random pubs with almost no coordination in the lowest difficulties (and your raids need more than one difficulty if you want them to be balls hard), and they refused to budge on that point, so game died.

Also, as someone who had to do raids in wow where you needed interrupt rotations and poo poo like that, interrupt armor was a poo poo mechanic that was never going to work outside of a single boss's gimmick. It isn't fun for most people, it's just tedious.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That means, with the spergs that would be the kind of people to still be playing wildstar, that it was always required or your group would break. If your mmo requires you to maintain a roster of guildmates in order to play the most basic aspect of the game, it's not gonna work. Wildstar is kind of proof that that kind of mmo is dead. Your content needs to be clearable by random pubs with almost no coordination in the lowest difficulties (and your raids need more than one difficulty if you want them to be balls hard), and they refused to budge on that point, so game died.

Also, as someone who had to do raids in wow where you needed interrupt rotations and poo poo like that, interrupt armor was a poo poo mechanic that was never going to work outside of a single boss's gimmick. It isn't fun for most people, it's just tedious.

Random pubs were pugging the first raid in Wildstar when I quit. I'm not saying these aren't valid criticisms for the release product (Because they were) but most of these things were fixed a year and a half ago when they rebuilt the stat/gear/rune systems.

I'll use stormtalon as a metric: When the game first released my BIS pre dungeon gear put me right at about 2.5k dps if I did everything perfect and stormtalon had a fairly strict 2k per dps or he'll enrage check. More realistically I'd hover right around the cap because I was moving/dodging etc and I don't have three hands. When I came back and re-runed my gear (It ejected them all due to the changes and refunded me the runes) I was putting out something more like 3.5-4k. Due to a higher DPS unless there was a wipe mechanic you could usually put bosses on the ground in "Gold Medal" timing without interrupting a single thing. So what happened in the community was actually the opposite thing you were predicting here. Before you HAD to interrupt to kill prior to leaving interupts were more of a "Well do it if you want to speed things up I guess" provided it wasn't a wipe mechanic. Players are lazy.

The Raiding Elite speedrunners stopped interrupting entirely unless it was a wipe mechanic because they were doing so much dps that a single out of rotation GCD would actually slow things down.

Now if you want to talk about something that badly needed to go the gently caress away, instakill mechanics should be the thing you raged against, because it was still prevalent when I left.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Your first post was "it'd speed things up" and now it's "it'd slow things down" so which is it, because what the players want is the fastest thing.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Your first post was "it'd speed things up" and now it's "it'd slow things down" so which is it, because what the players want is the fastest thing.

It depends on your gear level.

EDIT: it's a moot point anyways because the launch problems weren't the post f2p problems. They invented all new problems. But I can tell you I put absolutely zero thought into interrupt rotations post F2P. "Everybody chuck one" was the standard rota, no thought required.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 18, 2016

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Some interrupt rotations were really bad to hit and interrupt armor made them worse- shockwave on the robot in kel vorath, final boss in kel vorath, optional boss in dragon dungeon, final boss of skullcano. I could have really done without those having interrupt armor. Generally, I think things would be better if interrupt armor regenned 15s after the damage being was applied, or something, so the actual speed-coordination wasn't a thing.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
wildstar is bad

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

RottenK posted:

wildstar is bad

officially not the worst any longer

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Truga posted:

What kind of monster voted for project gorgon

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Tanners posted:

What kind of monster voted for project gorgon

Just googled it, good grief, that looks like dog poo poo.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Project Gorgon looks hilarious

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Rexicon1 posted:

Project Gorgon looks hilarious

Project Gorgon is a 1 man part time project, so the thought of it flopping is kind of funny in and of itself really. It looks like poo poo because it's obviously programmer art combined with whatever bullshit he can find on the unity store on the cheap. It's also completely free right now since it's still basically a technical alpha, so it's worth checking out if only because it's the right amount of stupid for an MMO.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Truga posted:

Wildstar has already flopped though. I guess they mean shut down?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Yeah it's a strangely worded question. By all means Wildstar has already "flopped". I assume they mean "announce closure".

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

RagnarokZ posted:

It does, which is the only thing that prevents me from checking it out more, but the guy has excellent ideas.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Project gorgon is good and fun, just don't go in thinking like a grognard or expecting to play it forever

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

RagnarokZ posted:

Yeah im jumping on the , looks bad, but is actually pretty good bandwagon.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

RagnarokZ posted:

You can yell at skeletons and become better at psychology and then turn off all of the lamps in town for XP. If that doesn't sound like the perfect game to you I don't know what to say.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

RagnarokZ posted:

Jesus man, you can play as a cow. With actual cow skills. What else do you want?

It's seriously fun and good, while at the same time being absolutely bad.

Don't judge it by it's graphics, it's really quite well made for a 1 man project.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

As far as I can tell it's basically The Room of MMOs. Absolutely insane and objectively horrible, but absolutely unique and enjoyable despite it all due to the oddities.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

ModeSix posted:

It's seriously fun and good, while at the same time being absolutely bad.

Might not be true anymore but when I played the most hardcore endgame was Cheesemaking.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tanners posted:

Might not be true anymore but when I played the most hardcore endgame was Cheesemaking.

Pretty sure this still is and will always be true. Blessed are the cheesemakers.

Personally I play a vegetarian spider. :3: PG is a fun game but obviously it's also low-budget and a work in progress so just don't be one of those people that marathon grinds the same few dungeons all day every day and the game will remain good. Treat it more like Morrowind where you wander around doing whatever stupid thing you feel like instead of grinding obsessively for an extra +.01% damage on your sword.

So basically it's the complete opposite of Wildstar. Though it will also have housing eventually which I can only assume will be as bizarre as the rest of the game.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 21, 2016

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
Housing should be a skill type where you become a house and get abilitys like creak and raise water bill.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lant posted:

Housing should be a skill type where you become a house and get abilitys like creak and raise water bill.

This but unironically. Turn yourself into a house when you go to log off and the house sticks around so people can walk around inside of you. Give you the chance to drop your market broker in yourself and people can buy from you out of the house that is also you while you're offline.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
And then you could have a home improvement big box shop themed raid with bosses that dropped things like paint and furniture that could be used to upgrade your house to attract higher class tenants!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

CoffeeBooze posted:

And then you could have a home improvement big box shop themed raid with bosses that dropped things like paint and furniture that could be used to upgrade your house to attract higher class tenants!

Shop Til You Drop: The MMO

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ikea: The MMO, where your mission is to decorate your apartment/unit/house and play dinner party mini games.

Bonus points if you can actually mail order the real life flat pack furniture in game.

Also the only expansion work you need to do is update the catalogue every season/year so you're all good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wasn't that basically what The Sims Online was? You try and decorate your house to be the most happenin' pad in town?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Wasn't that basically what The Sims Online was? You try and decorate your house to be the most happenin' pad in town?

And then turn it into an underage brothel. This is a thing that happened.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Or turn it into a pizzeria sweatshop, because that was the only minigame that had a decent income.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Rhymenoserous posted:

And then turn it into an underage brothel. This is a thing that happened.

Bieeardo posted:

Or turn it into a pizzeria sweatshop, because that was the only minigame that had a decent income.

I'm told that those are the same thing now.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm downloading this and trying it out. How bad of a life choice did I make?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I'm downloading this and trying it out. How bad of a life choice did I make?

I would describe it as Overwhelmingly negative

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Lmfao! There is only one server left! OK

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tanners posted:

I would describe it as Overwhelmingly negative
Honestly at the moment it's just Thoroughly Mediocre, which is probably more damning.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Asimo posted:

Honestly at the moment it's just Thoroughly Mediocre, which is probably more damning.

Yup, it's not (and was never) the worst MMO by a long shot, but why play a mediocre dying MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Lmfao! There is only one server left! OK

It's totally a mega server and not just like three servers plugged into each other they swear.

• Locked thread