Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hm that sounds like the opposite of a cool thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I really wanted the match to be over so i can go outside and build a snow man, so it was actually GOOD

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

little munchkin posted:

Stoddard's Response

1U

Instant

Counter target spell or ability an opponent controls that would cause them to draw a card then discard a card. If an artifact's ability is countered that way, destroy that artifact.

Draw two cards.

Just reprint Chains of Mephistopheles

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
pro tip: never pass recurring nightmare. when will people finally figure this out

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

MiddleEastBeast posted:

pro tip: never pass recurring nightmare. when will people finally figure this out

same but opposition. I'll happily drop any gameplan for easy wins.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

what if sol ring is in the pack

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Elyv posted:

what if sol ring is in the pack

maybe but i got it P1P3, so people took like a sol ring AND ancestral recall out of the same pack consecutively i guess. that's cool, i'll just keep recurring Duplicant and Slimeball over and over every turn.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Liam is giving the most boring interview of all time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Hoogland is a big baby and all but that loss to a topdecked become immense, when it was the only card that would kill him and he had lethal on board, was brutal. Such a dumb card.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Hoogland is a big baby and all but that loss to a topdecked become immense, when it was the only card that would kill him and he had lethal on board, was brutal. Such a dumb card.

it's tough to know who to root against in that matchup

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Pretty much. Although hoogland gets the edge for being a salty hypocrite at every opportunity.

How many "pro" players have never won a tournament?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Root for a meteor imo.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
In better news, Jim Davis is currently 0-2 in the elimination bracket.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

There are no heroes and villains. No one is the champion of any cause.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Voyager I posted:

In better news, Jim Davis is currently 0-2 in the elimination bracket.

but, unfortunately, up a game

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Lucksack Jim "Steve-O" Davis pulls it out again

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MiddleEastBeast posted:

maybe but i got it P1P3, so people took like a sol ring AND ancestral recall out of the same pack consecutively i guess. that's cool, i'll just keep recurring Duplicant and Slimeball over and over every turn.

That reminds me. I won a game in cube last year when an opponent used Show and Tell to play an Emrakul. I showed the Duplicant and told them to go gently caress themself.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
OK, I need some quick advice, I'm totally clueless about MTG, but play card & board games with my kids. My daughter got given a 'Battle Booster Pack' as a birthday present, I gather it's 2x30 card beginner decks and a pair of booster packs intended for beginners. I want to ask if there's anything I should buy for christmas presents for her or her brother that would enhance her options & enjoyment. It's probably going to be something we play at home rather than in anything approaching a public competitive environment.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

illectro posted:

OK, I need some quick advice, I'm totally clueless about MTG, but play card & board games with my kids. My daughter got given a 'Battle Booster Pack' as a birthday present, I gather it's 2x30 card beginner decks and a pair of booster packs intended for beginners. I want to ask if there's anything I should buy for christmas presents for her or her brother that would enhance her options & enjoyment. It's probably going to be something we play at home rather than in anything approaching a public competitive environment.

A deckbuilder's toolkit is a pretty good investment for people just beginning their collections, who are still excited by commons they've never seen before.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

illectro posted:

Also besides deckbuilder's kits there's Duel decks that are two decks meant to be balanced to one another. Blessed Versus Cursed and Ob Nixilis versus Nissa are the two such latest packages.

There are also two Planeswalker decks for the latest set, Kaladesh, and previous sets feature five Intro Decks.

All these are prebuilt decks

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Kids also just really love opening packs

source: me as a kid opening magic packs

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

I guess I'm wondering what I should buy her brother so they can play against each other, I mean should I just set them up with a common pool of cards in such a way that they can build decks from that pool or split them into 2 and risk one of them getting a better deck and always dominating.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

illectro posted:

I guess I'm wondering what I should buy her brother so they can play against each other, I mean should I just set them up with a common pool of cards in such a way that they can build decks from that pool or split them into 2 and risk one of them getting a better deck and always dominating.

I'd buy them each a deck builders toolkit and a duel deck or two to share that they can play against each other. The Duel Deck series decks are balanced against each other and should be fun to learn from, also the foil cards they come with are valuable. The deck builders toolkits are great for them to have a large pool of cards and a couple of booster packs that are intended for them to build their own decks from.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm not sure the ages of your kids, but have you considered the Magic Board Game? It's got some card play in it, but it's not a CCG so you don't have to worry about balancing a pile of cards for a game you're only kind of interested in. It's based on the Heroscape game which was fun as gently caress.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm not sure the ages of your kids, but have you considered the Magic Board Game? It's got some card play in it, but it's not a CCG so you don't have to worry about balancing a pile of cards for a game you're only kind of interested in. It's based on the Heroscape game which was fun as gently caress.

Yeah we got it dirt cheap and played it a couple of times, but they're not super into it compared to X-Wing Miniatures or Imperial Assault.

Was going to grab the Zendikar expansion for the princely sum of $4...
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gather...c+the+gathering

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
From watching Standard in the player's championship: holy poo poo, Aetherworks Marvel is a dumb card and these Marvel Mirror games were decided almost entirely by chance.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

supposing I live in rural australia and my LGS doesn't have any of the singles I'm after: what's the best place to buy from?

I'm after some stuff to make the mtggoldfish budget burn deck as well as some christmas gifts in the form of 2 x archangel avacyn and 2 x avacyn, angel of hope

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

illectro posted:

Planechase anthology.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

illectro posted:

I find that most children don't really enjoy building decks out of scratch from a pool of cards. They probably would be happier with something that they can open and play right there, and tune as they get familiar with the deck.

For that, your options are the pair of Planeswalker decks, or anything from the Duel Decks series. I personally think that the planeswalker decks are the better option. The planeswalker decks come with booster packs, and are built to be supplemented from them, and mix well with cards from the deck builders toolkit, or battle packs. They also can be wrapped separately, which is a consideration for christmas morning.

You can also give them a deck builder's toolkit to share, but I think the preconstructed decks are pretty important to have as a base to build off of, and it will stop most arguments about who gets to put which cards from the shared toolkit in their decks, since the two decks are non-overlapping color and mechanics-wise.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Stoddard's Web

Artifact

When ~ etb draw a card.

Each artifact with an activated ability that isn't a mana ability doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.

Stoddard's Decree
5B
Instant
Choose an artifact type. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all artifact cards of the chosen type. Then destroy all artifacts of that type that player controls. They can't be regenerated.

Stoddard's Crusade
1WW
Sorcery
Destroy all Vehicles.

Stoddardian Sylex
Artifact
1, T: Each nontoken permanent originally printed in the Kaladesh expansion is sacrificed by its controller.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

whats for dinner posted:

supposing I live in rural australia and my LGS doesn't have any of the singles I'm after: what's the best place to buy from?

I'm after some stuff to make the mtggoldfish budget burn deck as well as some christmas gifts in the form of 2 x archangel avacyn and 2 x avacyn, angel of hope

tcgplayer. Shipping is cheap and has tracking (make sure you select tcgplayer direct - buy as much as you want for $6 shipping) and they should have most everything you need.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

illectro posted:

I would say that any pre-built product will be fine (with Duel decks being the best probably) because they have booster packs inside that kids like to open and they don't have to worry about being able to build a deck right away. If your kids are getting old enough to where they might want to play at FNM I would advise against getting the new planeswalker decks because they are pure rear end when it comes to even the most casual levels of competitiveness and there's not a path to upgrading the deck to be viable at FNM.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

ThePeavstenator posted:

If your kids are getting old enough to where they might want to play at FNM I would advise against getting the new planeswalker decks because they are pure rear end when it comes to even the most casual levels of competitiveness and there's not a path to upgrading the deck to be viable at FNM.

What is a more viable option?

The plainswalker deck ARE the best option for your kids even if there is a chance they will eventually want to go to Friday Night Magic as you get a full standard legal deck and boosters to supplement it. If you spent $400 on a deck than won that last pro tour they would still loose as they are starting out.

The above advice is poor. Grab them a plainswalker deck each. It's an awesome present.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

mattah posted:

tcgplayer. Shipping is cheap and has tracking (make sure you select tcgplayer direct - buy as much as you want for $6 shipping) and they should have most everything you need.

thanks! christmas is saved

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Stoddard's Decree
5B
Instant
Choose an artifact type. Target player reveals his or her hand and discards all artifact cards of the chosen type. Then destroy all artifacts of that type that player controls. They can't be regenerated.

Stoddard's Crusade
1WW
Sorcery
Destroy all Vehicles.

Stoddardian Sylex
Artifact
1, T: Each nontoken permanent originally printed in the Kaladesh expansion is sacrificed by its controller.

Decree is terrible but I'd love to play the other two.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Day 2 of the SCGPC isn't even worth watching unless you like watching constant Aetherworks decks

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

Day 2 of the SCGPC isn't even worth watching unless you like watching constant Aetherworks decks

It's good for people who like watching the "five minutes of a nerd thinking" part of G/B delerium but hate the "interaction and meaningful decisions" part that comes before emrakul being cast.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played much Standard. I got Emrakul'd for the first time yesterday two games in a row, and it's one of two reasons I'm taking apart my Standard deck. The other one is that Standard Showdown is over and everyone else is quitting also because everyone was only playing Standard for the Showdown packs.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Man Gerry Thompson, no handshake looking miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Man Gerry Thompson, no handshake looking miserable.

Not the way you would want to lose the tournament you worked all year to get to. He should have done the right thing and shook his hand though.

Baby Jace is making a smile climb out of the dumpster. Almost 30 bucks again at the lowest. Please make it to 40 so I can dump mine at a huge gain.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 18, 2016

• Locked thread