Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
This was a good movie. My only issue was that Jyn, this person who had basically never taken responsibility for anything and had serious issues is the one who inspires everyone to do this great thing with very little reason for her to have come so far.

I would've preferred that she was alwaysv with the rebels and that she stuck around and split ways with her foster dad because she disagreed with his philosophies.

Overall it was a very enjoyable movie and if you didn't like it for x spergy reason than I can only imagine how hard it is to be you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerkface posted:

You have mentioned this a few times and no one has responded. Are you being serious? It was a normal movie. I am 99% sure it was not running at 40 fps or whatever the hobbit was doing. I saw it twice and it looked fine both times. Maybe go to a different movie theater since yours seems to have a screen they bought from best buy and left the display settings on.
It absolutely was running above 24 frames a second, just not all the time. It seemed to have a varied framerate, but my eyes aren't what they used to be.

And when it was noticably above 30, it looked terrible. But this is the new eay of things. I had the same problem with Arrival.

It's just weird that it's either not noticable all the time, or inconsistently applied.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
TBQH, we should cross reference the people who are tying themselves in knots to hate Rogue One the most with the people who think the prequels are better than the OT.

I'm starting my calculation at 90% match.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Milky Moor posted:

TBQH, we should cross reference the people who are tying themselves in knots to hate Rogue One the most with the people who think the prequels are better than the OT.

I'm starting my calculation at 90% match.

Oh christ Rogue One is way better than any of the prequels just by virtue of looking phenomenal.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I think we should cross reference people tying themselves in knots to assert that Rogue One is a good piece of film making with people invested in a tribal identity of being a Star Wars fan and who feel like their tribe has been attacked.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LividLiquid posted:

It absolutely was running above 24 frames a second, just not all the time. It seemed to have a varied framerate, but my eyes aren't what they used to be.

And when it was noticably above 30, it looked terrible. But this is the new eay of things. I had the same problem with Arrival.

It's just weird that it's either not noticable all the time, or inconsistently applied.

Go to a normal theater

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Cyclomatic posted:

I think we should cross reference people tying themselves in knots to assert that Rogue One is a good piece of film making with people invested in a tribal identity of being a Star Wars fan and who feel like their tribe has been attacked.

The wide consensus is that it's good, among everyone including Joe Moviewatcher, sorry if that disappoints you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jerkface posted:

You have mentioned this a few times and no one has responded. Are you being serious? It was a normal movie. I am 99% sure it was not running at 40 fps or whatever the hobbit was doing. I saw it twice and it looked fine both times. Maybe go to a different movie theater since yours seems to have a screen they bought from best buy and left the display settings on.

There were all sorts of fast pans (like the flyover of the lava planet) that looked exactly like a frame-interpolated Best Buy HDTV, but then most of the dialog scenes had the normal cinema choppiness to them. I think the movie was doing it deliberately (and not the theater), because it was changing between 24fps and something much higher depending on what the scene was. It was really inconsistent and was driving me nuts the entire movie. I swear I'm not insane.

Edit: Here is what it looked like to me while I was watching at the theater, someone interpolated this themselves and posted it to Youtube but the movie was doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6uYVnOjG6A&t=30s

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 18, 2016

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh christ Rogue One is way better than any of the prequels just by virtue of looking phenomenal.

When I saw Episode 2 the other day, after watching Rogue One - one particular scene jumped at me. The scene with Obi Wan talking to some alien chef at a loving diner. Everything in the older Trilogy - from the architecture to alien designs - looks like it takes place in something uniquely "Star Wars".

Then in Episode 2, you have this whole scene where Obi Wan gets the info about the cloners from a chef alien in a 50's diner, surrounded by other CGI and make-up aliens, and it's so loving JARRING.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Soggy Cereal posted:

I disliked the movie at first watch. The level of fanservice is just absurd and gratuitous, like almost as bad as Chewie and Yoda being friends. Like others said, I was looking for more character development. I thought the first third was too slow.

On my second viewing, I loved it. The concerns went away. (he loved big brother)

I think it's largely because I had to relinquish what I expected going in, based on the trailers, the reviews, and the things people said about the movie. "Inspiring speeches!" "Heist movie!" "Gritty war movie!" "Awesome female protagonist!" "Standalone story!"

All of this is blatantly wrong. The trailers tell a subtly but vitally different story than the movie. Like half of the lines and shots are just straight up different or not there.
This is a movie for existing Star Wars fans. It is devoted to continuity, references, and worldbuilding. It's pretty much a movie adaptation of a decent EU book, or a live action adaptation of a good Star Wars video game. You just have to embrace it.

If they had just sold it as extra backstory for A New Hope, I think it would make more sense. The marketing focusing so intently on Jyn Erso was bizarre and confusing. She is really only important to the story insofar as she is related to her dad. She's not a feisty badass who fights a TIE fighter on foot, or a criminal mastermind hired on to steal the plans, or a brilliant orator who sticks it to #Trump. She's great in the limited role that she has as the Death Star guy's daughter. The movie is at its best when it's an ensemble cast.

This is great, I think you hit the nail on the head. The movie is much more akin to a star wars novel, it fills in a backstory and setting for the main films. It's almost exactly what I wanted out of these "Star Wars Story" films. They don't need to introduce timeless classic characters they just need to expand the universe and explain the details behind the scenes and I love it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Caeks posted:

When I saw Episode 2 the other day, after watching Rogue One - one particular scene jumped at me. The scene with Obi Wan talking to some alien chef at a loving diner. Everything in the older Trilogy - from the architecture to alien designs - looks like it takes place in something uniquely "Star Wars".

Then in Episode 2, you have this whole scene where Obi Wan gets the info about the cloners from a chef alien in a 50's diner, surrounded by other CGI and make-up aliens, and it's so loving JARRING.

I love the diner, it's such a dumb baby boomer thing that makes no sense.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

General Dog posted:

Go to a normal theater
All theaters are digital now and I was a projectionist until that stopped being a job. I know what the gently caress I'm looking at.

Also: criticizing a thing doesn't mean you don't like that thing. I loved this movie. That doesn't mean I have to love everything it did.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Caeks posted:

Why shouldn't Obi-Wan be friends with the retired adventurer who owns his favorite greasy diner?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I notice when games aren't at least 60FPS, when HDTVs have that interpolation thing turned on, and The Hobbit at 48FPS was real weird, but I didn't notice anything off about Rogue One. :shrug:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LividLiquid posted:

All theaters are digital now and I was a projectionist until that stopped being a job. I know what the gently caress I'm looking at.

Also: criticizing a thing doesn't mean you don't like that thing. I loved this movie. That doesn't mean I have to love everything it did.

Okay guess I'll defer to your expertise, but as somebody with at least enough sensitivity to discern when lovely frame interpolation is on or off I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Cyclomatic posted:

I haven't seen any of the TV shows or read any of the novels, so...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

I haven't seen any of the TV shows or read any of the novels, so...

You literally post in the Star Wars EU book thread where you have posted about reading Star Wars books.

Edit:

Milky Moor posted:

So, I'm doing a re-read of the X-Wing series. I've just gotten past Krytos Trap and there's one thing that bugs me. Stackpole seems to have pretty well established that bothans are basically humans with fur and maybe cat features? How did they go from that to goat people? :psyduck:

"I haven't read any of the books"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ash1138 posted:

I notice when games aren't at least 60FPS, when HDTVs have that interpolation thing turned on, and The Hobbit at 48FPS was real weird, but I didn't notice anything off about Rogue One. :shrug:

Yeah, the Hobbit was unwatchable for me at 48FPS but I didn't notice anything unusual about Rogue One.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, thanks for confirming I'm not insane. I mean if they think variable framerate is best then that's their right, but it bugs the poo poo out of some people enough to completely take them out of the movie and I think going forwards movies should maybe list that they're doing it, alongside the movie's rating or at least be tracked on a website somewhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, the Hobbit was unwatchable for me at 48FPS but I didn't notice anything unusual about Rogue One.

Yeah, I found The Hobbit really uncomfortable but Rogue One looks fantastic. Maybe it was something with the theater? Or if it's 48FPS they did a WAY better job with it to the point I found it unnoticable.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I would suggest complaining to your local theater. Rogue One was uniform frame rate at mine.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

My theatre was normal and it's one of the fancy ones with Ultra AVX. It looked fine and I'm sensitive as gently caress to high fps (Hobbit looked like utter shite).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I didn't notice that either in mine. I thought the film was absolutely gorgeous.

Same for me with The Hobbit I couldn't deal.

Like this is a gorgeous film.

Think I'll get up and see it again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wow, I'd be surprised if HFR was coming back as variable frame rate. It seems like a lot of money to invest in something that most people won't notice and a lot of the people who do notice it are gonna get annoyed with

Edit: my ideal variable frame rate movie is one that's 24fps most of the time and only switches to 48 for altered reality/drug trip/adrenaline/in-the-Matrix type scenes.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 18, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

Wow, I'd be surprised if HFR was coming back as variable frame rate. It seems like a lot of money to invest in something that most people won't notice and a lot of the people who do notice it are gonna get annoyed with

Edit: my ideal variable frame rate movie is one that's 24fps most of the time and only switches to 48 for altered reality/drug trip/adrenaline/in-the-Matrix type scenes.

The last time I've seen movie in the theater that I thought was variable framerate that bothered me was Gangster Squad (also a bad movie), the ending fistfight was super high framerate, just googled Gangster Squad framerate and other people noticed that too. Ah well.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Just got back from seeing this. Initial reaction: Compared to TFA, there were a lot more things that made me go, "Wow, I really like that!", and overall it was a significantly more creative and original movie despite taking place within certain franchise timeline constraints.....but in the end a lot of it didn't really hang together very well at all. I felt myself getting bored multiple times while the movie just dragged on, and that never happened with TFA. So mixed feelings, I guess.

I really liked the opening shot of the planetary ring mimicking the opening Star Destroyer shot of ANH, and the shot with the Star Destroyer emerging from shadow amidst the backdrop of the Death Star.

I also really liked Forest Whitaker as Saw Gerrera, and the way his character in this movie very blatantly draws on Kane Starkiller from the 1975 Rough Draft. Truth be told, he was the only character in this movie who left a lasting impression on me and to whom I had a significant emotional response, most powerfully during his suicide scene, where he stares down the approaching wall of death and finally disconnects his breathing apparatus, finally free from the revolutionary fervor which ironically robbed him of his humanity just as Darth Vader's imperial fervor did to him.

CGI Tarkin and Leia definitely took some suspension of disbelief, but I was willing to do it and I was excited to see the way digital technology allowed these characters to come back in this form. I was less enamored of the slavishly faithful-to-the-original visual appearance of Darth Vader, which ended up just looking cheap for no real good reason--though the scene itself was top-notch, Vader's characteristically evil pun being just about the only joke in the movie that got an unforced laugh out of me. The reveal that Darth Vader keeps a bachelor pad in Hell is absolute perfection.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 18, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah the more I think about it the more I really liked this more than The Force Awakens, but it's still pretty fresh. I'll probably watch it again this week.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You literally post in the Star Wars EU book thread where you have posted about reading Star Wars books.

Edit:

"I haven't read any of the books"

:henget:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Still have no idea what that is supposed to mean, thanks.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I'll say the area where the movie really starts to feel its bloat is in how drat many "generic inspirational speech" scenes there are--not to mention all the technobabble-filled pointer scenes which are constantly interrupting the flow of the story and clumsily redefining the objective.

(Note: I've never watched that guy's videos before in my life and have no opinion on them, it's just the only source I could find on Google explaining what a pointer scene was.)

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ImpAtom posted:

Gotcha!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

He's clearly accusing you of being a manic chicken thief.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truly I have been owned by pointing out a fact. :negative:

Cnut the Great posted:

I'll say the area where the movie really starts to feel its bloat is in how drat many "generic inspirational speech" scenes there are--not to mention all the technobabble-filled pointer scenes which are constantly interrupting the flow of the story and clumsily redefining the objective.

(Note: I've never watched that guy's videos before in my life and have no opinion on them, it's just the only source I could find on Google explaining what a pointer scene was.)

I think the inspirational speech scenes fall flat to me because they don't really feel like they're coming from a specific character place so much as are just sort of there. If Jyn's big hero speech felt like a significant moment of huge character growth it would hit better, but instead it comes from her because why not? (And ironically I think "We're rebels, let's REBEL" would probably have had more impact than "rebellions are built on hope" in terms of her character, regardless of how silly it sounded in the trailer.)

I donno. Maybe I need to see it again and give it more of a chance. People obviously really adore the characters and I'm not seeing it. I admit that I saw it with my little sister who loves Star Wars and she came out negative on it so that probably colors a lot of my opinions.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cnut the Great posted:

That's just how war movies are.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I thought it was funny that she did her inspirational speech and people were like "Nah".

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

That's just how war movies are.

Not really good ones.

I.

M.

O.

ImpAtom posted:

People obviously really adore the characters and I'm not seeing it.

They do? The characters all seemed pretty thin to me. And it never felt like they believably built up any sort of camaraderie. When that burly dude turns to Jyn on Scarif before they all split up and says, "Good luck, little sister. :)", I half expected Jyn to be like, "....And what's your name again?" That's sure as hell what I was thinking.

Here's a positive observation to balance it out. When Jyn's father is talking to Krennic in the beginning and accuses him of "confusing peace with terror" or something to that effect, that's a good line. It ties in with what Palpatine and Anakin say in Episode III about wanting only to establish "peace" in their new Empire, and it pithily encapsulates everything that the Empire is all about. It's simple but effective.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 18, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Why is it that Theoden's speech before the Battle of Pellenor Field was inspiring, but Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate wasn't? I'm not 100% sure, but my guess is that things looked a lot worse during the siege of Gondor, and you feel more of a need for a pep talk when shits going wrong. Maybe the rebels needed to be in more dire straits for a speech to feel appropriate.

Also why would a bunch of hardened soldiers be looking to a 20 year old delinquent for a pep talk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

They do? The characters all seemed pretty thin to me. And it never felt like they believably built up any sort of camaraderie. When that burly dude turns to Jyn on Scarif before they all split up and says, "Good luck, little sister. :)", I half expected Jyn to be like, "....And what's your name again?" That's sure as hell what I was thinking.

They seem to considering all the "every single war movie is like this!" That or people are claiming every single war movie ever has poor characterization and I think that's pretty dishonest. I mean every major criticism of Rogue One is met with "this is completely standard for war movies" and the only way I can take that is that I'm missing some significant depth and quality not present elsewhere because otherwise it seems remarkable that people are claiming everything from The Dirty Dozen to Glory is basically filled with disposable characters you're not supposed to care about because they probably die.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rogue One: The Hamburger Hill of War Movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I just got back from the theater. I loved a lot of the visuals, including costume store Vader. The movie really went for the ANH era aesthetic, and I think it mostly nailed it - the side burn game was strong. Really, I felt Rogue One was a huge love letter to episode 4, including Vader's awesome hell fortress, which looks like it was ripped from the very earliest EU comic books. So an A+ visually, and the story had great bones. Unfortunately, I agree that the characters were largely pretty thin - a couple scenes allowing them to chat and bond would have done wonders for the impact of the climax.

• Locked thread