Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Aggghhhbbbllggghgggg just cook things aavggfcdsghfccdssfffff this loving thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maybe I haven't been clear -- I am *enjoying* the pursuit of a perfect seasoning. It's not a chore or burden, it's a source of happiness itself.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

You gonna hang it on the wall as an art piece or something? Your Grandma's sweet old cast iron pan got that way through use.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Fry some food in it

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Seasoning pans is the new aluminum troll.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

enjoy some fuckin bacon in it

have BLTs every day

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

But seriously, if bacon or Ducasse steak or searing pork chops will cover over that stuff where coats of flaxseed didn't, I'm down. I'm just not sure why it would be different.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As you cook, the oil slowly gets added to the seasoning, filling in the low spots. Scraping around with spatulas and such wears down the high spots. Eventually, you get a nice, smooth finish.

You are REALLY REALLY REALLY overthinking this. As has been said before, people have been cooking with cast iron and getting lovely seasoning going for centuries, long before they had access to pure flaxseed oil or temperature-controlled ovens. Just cook with it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Sometimes if I'm using the oven for something else I'll toss my cast iron in in along with it with a light coat of whatever oil

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

It's all the same, really. You just want to polymerize the oil from bacon grease or steak fat or flaxseed oil or whatever onto the iron. To do that, you apply heat and oil, and it does its thing. You could labor over it and just keep re-seasoning, sure, or you could just use it and let it happen on its own. As is, it looks perfectly capable of being cooked in, so what if you have to add a little bit of extra oil to make it perfectly non-stick?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Sad, but it happens. That's why we experiment! TRY AGAIN

I'm ok with it as it was still perfectly edible but just overdone. I figured it would be a rough first try but it was this or grilling in below zero temps.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That looks like every steak anyone ever cooked using the Ducasse method. There's a reason it became a running joke in this forum. Everyone who tried it ruined their steak. You need a 3 inch thick piece of meat if you're gonna attempt it.

I think this one was 2" max. The crust flavor was great and I'd like to try it again. But thinking more about it even if I scale back the time to account for the thinner steak I'm pretty sure it will then not be long enough to get a decent crust.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I think the camera just didn't capture red.

Oh, it's a spanking new T6i, if there was any red there it would have shown up. It has a nice Food Picture Mode that dicks with the settings to get a nice selective focus and decent colors in low light without a flash. It makes food pictures look so much better than my camera phone. Though my wife just bought it for me on black friday as an early christmas present so I'm still trying to get used to it.

Here is a pic from the day before thanksgiving of 2 Bourbon Chocolate pecan pies I made that I took on my Phone.

The rest are pictures of food I made or ate in the 3 weeks of owning the camera, there are some decent reds in there.

BraveUlysses posted:

and now that so many of us have sous vizzle machines there's really no reason to bother

I got a SVS Demi about 5 years ago and haven't used it much lately. My main reason for getting it was that I couldn't make a good steak for the life of me. But with finally getting some decent grills that put out high enough heat I can now make awesome steaks every time and the SVS is gathering dust.

I posted a bunch of grilling/steak pics in the Smoking thread that you can find in this link.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&userid=129732

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 16, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, I'm convinced. Gonna cook some stuff when I get home tomorrow.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

my turn in the barrel posted:

I think this one was 2" max. The crust flavor was great and I'd like to try it again. But thinking more about it even if I scale back the time to account for the thinner steak I'm pretty sure it will then not be long enough to get a decent crust.

Exactly. And even if you start with a piece of meat thick enough so that the center stays medium rare, you're gonna have a huge temperature gradient.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Exactly. And even if you start with a piece of meat thick enough so that the center stays medium rare, you're gonna have a huge temperature gradient.

I was trying to figure out if the water in the butter would keep the pan cool enough to keep it from overcooking or some other magic but it seems like I'm never going to get the results I can in half the time when grilling.

Pic quote from the BBQ thread I linked.

quote:

I rested the steaks for 1/2 an hour with pepper and kosher salt on them before grilling. I also cut slits in the fat around the steak to keep it from curling, thanks to whichever goon suggested that.

The steak was really tender to the point that my lovely serrated steak knives ripped it more than cut it. It was awesome.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I still find I'm not very good at getting a nice deep brown crust on SV'd steaks in cast iron. I usually puddle to 130. I tend to end up either with a steak that's light brown-to-gray but good pink meat, or a great seared crust but a very wide band of overcooked meat. I'm patting the steaks dry before I sear. Only thing I can think of is I'm not heating the pan enough? I would have thought 10 minutes on high flame would do it though.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Some people do an ice dip of varying length before the sear.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

All this talk of seasoning made me hungry. BLTs for breakfast.

Let's eat.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

ColdPie posted:

All this talk of seasoning made me hungry. BLTs for breakfast.

Let's eat.

Welp. Looks like this is what I'm having for lunch when I get back from buying groceries.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

If you've got well seasoned cast iron is it the sort of thing where you can make an omelette in it without oil or butter, or are you still gonna need that to not make a horror show?

I want a drat omelette but it seems my nonstick and stainless steel skillets are AWOL. :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You will still need some oil. A well seasoned pan is fairly non-stick but it can never be as good as teflon.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Ciaphas posted:

I still find I'm not very good at getting a nice deep brown crust on SV'd steaks in cast iron. I usually puddle to 130. I tend to end up either with a steak that's light brown-to-gray but good pink meat, or a great seared crust but a very wide band of overcooked meat. I'm patting the steaks dry before I sear. Only thing I can think of is I'm not heating the pan enough? I would have thought 10 minutes on high flame would do it though.

If I want my cast iron searing hot for, uh, searing I generally chuck it in a 500+ degree oven for as long as I can stand before tossing it over the flame. I would hypothesize that the radiant heat of the oven gets the entire piece of metal up to temperature as opposed to just the surface exposed to the flame, which could then provide, eh, 'thermal inertia.'

spankmeister posted:

You will still need some oil. A well seasoned pan is fairly non-stick but it can never be as good as teflon.

I've heard legends of venerable griswolds.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
If I'm doing a steak, I preheat the oven to 500 with the cast iron inside, then when I pull it out, I put it on the flame on high for another 5 minutes. Usually the pan is like 6-700 degrees when that steak hits it to sear. The fire alarm doesn't like it. Makes a drat good steak though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

moller posted:

I've heard legends of venerable griswolds.

That's what I'd sort of heard too but wasn't sure whether it was a venerable old pan that could do that or any old well-seasoned iron :v:

(Made omelette, was good. Still wanna know where the hell my steel went though.)

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The advantage of the old griswalds is that they were milled smooth. You can get the same effect from grinding a modern pan smooth and seasoning it.

And while you can possibly cook without adding butter or oil there should always be at least a bit of oil wiped on your pan before storage so there is at least some oil no matter what. And who wants to eat eggs made without a little oil or butter added anyways?

I usually use my Misto sprayer filled with olive oil before and after cooking.

Come to think of it I made a video a while back of cooking eggs on a griswald griddle to demonstrate how nonstick it is. This is one my mom had neglected in her basement that I stripped the cooking surface off and reseasoned with sunflower oil using the method I've posted a bunch of times in this thread. If you look at my previous posts I think I've since fully stripped this pan and reseasoned and posted pics in the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUK0UZnpfKw

Keep in mind that is new seasoning, it's the milling and proper seasoning that makes them so slick

Edit I found the posts made after the video when I stripped it the whole way.

Ok after 2 hours of cleaning cycle and probably 1/2 an hour of cooldown the door unlocked. As you can see the areas that had thick seasoning now have a layer of rust looking powder.

The oven is still 300F or so but once the pans cool all the way down I will rinse them off and hit them with a wire wheel in my drill if there are any trouble spots. Then wipe them down with vinegar, then rinse, then dry on the stovetop and reseason.

After a quick rinse under water the pans look like this

The Oval Griddle didn't have any markings but it did have some pits or casting flaws on the cooking surface that were hidden under the seasoning.

A quick wipe with vinegar to get any surface rust and then a water rinse and into a 250F oven to dry

Wiped with flax and put in a 550F oven for an hour to get the new seasoning started

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 18, 2016

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Even in a non-stick pan, you use a little bit of some sort of fat, whether it's butter or oil.

Also, gently caress cooking steaks with that bullshit "pan as hot as you can get it" method. Plumes of smoke looked like the drat Deepwater Horizon spill coming out of the pan. Filled my kitchen with way too much smoke for what it was.

Cook steak how you want, but filling your kitchen with a ton of smoke is too much trouble. What works the best, for me anyway, is to heat the steak in the pan in a low oven until it hits about 110 or 120 internal temperature. Take it out, remove steak from pan, heat the pan up nice and hot with some butter or oil (maybe even be fancy with some compound butter), then sear the steak in the pan until it hits about 130. Maybe even baste it some with the fats. Take the steak out and let it rest, then eat it.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

When asked what I wanted for Christmas, I mentioned a bigger cast iron, because my 10" is not big enough for steaks after sous vide. I did not comprehend how big 15" really was.

I can sear the whole fuckin' world with this thing.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I found a somewhat weird piece of cast iron yesterday at a junk shop. $10. Needs to be seasoned as it's never been used.

After the Ducasse Strip I'm still too lazy to get the snow off the grill so I went and dusted off the Sousvide Supreme. Cooked both at 131F. Steak for 1 hour/ tails for 30 min. Seared the strip steak 2 minutes a side in my lodge skillet. Not bad. Honestly I like the flavor of the charcoal grilled better but this was excellent for the amount of effort.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I found a somewhat weird piece of cast iron yesterday at a junk shop. $10. Needs to be seasoned as it's never been used.

My wife is an early childhood/special needs teacher. We have a couple of those that get dusted off every year for the kids to crank out yet another Christmas condo development.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What's the idea, there? Just get the thing hot and pour in gingerbread batter?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
You press the gingerbread cookie dough into it cold, then stick it in a pre-heated oven to bake.

ed: Manufacturer's instruction sheet is under the Inst link here if you're interested.

My wife says the manufacturer's recipe isn't the best.

Hexigrammus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 24, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Molds like that don't require seasoning, unless you want to make burgers shaped like gingerbread house parts

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And now I do.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

spankmeister posted:

Molds like that don't require seasoning, unless you want to make burgers shaped like gingerbread house parts

:iia:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

spankmeister posted:

Hamburger House. It rolls off the tongue.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Welcome to McDonaldLand!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

That's my idea of a PlayPlace.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

spankmeister posted:

But without seasoning it'll rust easier. And properly seasoned you could display it for decor...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

spankmeister posted:

Now you've done it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Merry Christmas, cast iron goons! Can anyone identify what maker and vintage my mom's pan is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Got a La Creuset Enameled Wok. It's definitely cool, but not sure about it's functionality considering woks should really be quite thin and light to allow quicker heat transfer.