Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not unique to the game, but I've just finished up Mass Effect 2 and it bugged me every time: NPCs shouting at me because they wandered into my line of fire. If I'm shooting and you run in front of me with no warning, that's not my problem. Don't bitch about me needing to check my fire because you suddenly decided to leave cover and sprint across the whole drat map.

Oh, and I guess the choice in ME1 where you have to let either Kaiden or Ashley die. Why can't it be both?

e: And for all the effort they went to about letting choices from ME1 carry over to 2, I'm annoyed the game ignored that I didn't spend a single moment either in conversation or on a mission with Kaiden that it didn't force me to. Everyone's acting like he was a great friend of mine, when the only time I remember speaking to him is just after Ashley died and I told him to shut the gently caress up questioning my decisions. Carth Onasi sucks.

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Was fighting the last boss in Spirit Tracks it starts off with the train version of pac-man which is awesome, and then it just gets progressively bad and ends with the flute I can no longer play on the most complicated song yet.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Not unique to the game, but I've just finished up Mass Effect 2 and it bugged me every time: NPCs shouting at me because they wandered into my line of fire. If I'm shooting and you run in front of me with no warning, that's not my problem. Don't bitch about me needing to check my fire because you suddenly decided to leave cover and sprint across the whole drat map.

Oh, and I guess the choice in ME1 where you have to let either Kaiden or Ashley die. Why can't it be both?

e: And for all the effort they went to about letting choices from ME1 carry over to 2, I'm annoyed the game ignored that I didn't spend a single moment either in conversation or on a mission with Kaiden that it didn't force me to. Everyone's acting like he was a great friend of mine, when the only time I remember speaking to him is just after Ashley died and I told him to shut the gently caress up questioning my decisions. Carth Onasi sucks.

That first bit is in FFXV but for EVERYTHING. Hit attack in stead of holding to sprint? "WATCH IT". Same for switching weapons, warping, even loving bumping into their dumb rear end as they walk in front of me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Space hulk deathwing has a minigun that shoots bullets at one rate, plays a sound effect at a different rate, and recoils the screen at yet another different rate. The guns in the developer's previous game were extremely fun to use, while deathwing's feel weirdly unpolished like this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

The biggest problem with SR2 is if you do the gangs in any order other than Red being last it never measures up. Like there's no way to top how grimzany that mission chain gets.

The best way to do it is all three at once. That way everything ramps up at the same rate so you don't suddenly go back to easy, low-stakes missions two thirds of the way through the game and it feels more connected. The only downside is that you get three times as many pushbacks, and those can get a bit annoying. That said, any order is fine, really, and I tend to go red/Brotherhood, green/Samedi, then yellow/Ronin.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Heya it's me Imoen.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The thing dragging down Space Hulk Deathwing for me is that, technical issues aside (I'm getting these weird 5-7 second pauses everywhere), the game lacks a proper save-and-reload feature. The levels are sprawling and you're recommended to find relics scattered through the environment, but partially-but-not-totally due to the pauses I'm getting, I want to save/quit/return far more than the game lets me with auto-saves.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
When Girlfriend moved in she brought her PS3 with her so I'm finally getting around to playing these Uncharted games. They're fine, except that I am getting so loving angry at the way it teaches me something and then punishes me for learning it.

Game: Hey, if you see a ledge that looks like this, you can climb it. Nathan Drake can climb on ledges! Try it!

(later)

Game: Uh, but not that ledge. Not that one, either. No, not that one. Uh, no. Wrong. Haha you keep dying!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The controls in mass effect 3 multiplayer are abysmal. The same button is used for sprinting, taking cover, leaving cover, vaulting cover, reviving friends, and interacting with objects. This obviously leads to massive opportunity for it to misinterpret what you want. When you need to be revived and see someone run over to you but then repeatedly slam their butt into a nearby wall, you know it's happening to them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

That first bit is in FFXV but for EVERYTHING. Hit attack in stead of holding to sprint? "WATCH IT". Same for switching weapons, warping, even loving bumping into their dumb rear end as they walk in front of me.
I decided they're just messing with Noctis because they know it annoys him.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Darkest Dungeon's quirk system is the best idea out of the game but is made poo poo by being randomized to the point it's nonsensical. Granted, everything in the game that isn't an aesthetic is randomized. But doing damage between two and twenty isn't nearly as comically stupid as finding the Love Interest (Only use Brothel for stress relief) quirk after killing a bunch of pigmen or getting Bad Gambler (Increased money loss chance when gambling for stress relief) despite never having that character gamble. And all my drat Vestals seem to get the Slugger one (+5% melee damage) even though I never use their melee attack. Most don't even get the ability unlocked.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Digirat posted:

The controls in mass effect 3 multiplayer are abysmal. The same button is used for sprinting, taking cover, leaving cover, vaulting cover, reviving friends, and interacting with objects. This obviously leads to massive opportunity for it to misinterpret what you want. When you need to be revived and see someone run over to you but then repeatedly slam their butt into a nearby wall, you know it's happening to them.

Manually aiming at the teammate you're trying to revive at least bumps up the chances of actually doing so from about 25% to 75%. :downs:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Not the same situation, but this reminds me of when The Division launched and there was what I assume was a bug where civilians would always react as if you were pointing your weapon at them regardless of what you were actually doing if you faced their general direction, so walking down the street would greet you with a nonstop chorus of "Oh god! Don't shoot! Please just take what you want and go!! Aaah!!"

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

credburn posted:

When Girlfriend moved in she brought her PS3 with her so I'm finally getting around to playing these Uncharted games. They're fine, except that I am getting so loving angry at the way it teaches me something and then punishes me for learning it.

Game: Hey, if you see a ledge that looks like this, you can climb it. Nathan Drake can climb on ledges! Try it!

(later)

Game: Uh, but not that ledge. Not that one, either. No, not that one. Uh, no. Wrong. Haha you keep dying!

Man going through this right now. Uncharted makes me feel like an old man playing games for the first time. Everything looks the same, half the time I have no idea where to go or what ledges to grab. Just a mess.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's really just one of those things that once you play enough it clicks and the ledges you can grab stick out like a 90s cartoon but I totally get not wanting to play long enough to master that.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I got the Nathan Drake collection to play through them before 4 and it took me till about the middle of the 2nd game before it became super obvious what ledges I could grab.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC

not sure if mods are screwing it up or if it's just an issue from the base game but some tasks on my pda don't become active when i try to select them. I have to check my map every so often to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Darkest Dungeon's quirk system is the best idea out of the game but is made poo poo by being randomized to the point it's nonsensical. Granted, everything in the game that isn't an aesthetic is randomized. But doing damage between two and twenty isn't nearly as comically stupid as finding the Love Interest (Only use Brothel for stress relief) quirk after killing a bunch of pigmen or getting Bad Gambler (Increased money loss chance when gambling for stress relief) despite never having that character gamble. And all my drat Vestals seem to get the Slugger one (+5% melee damage) even though I never use their melee attack. Most don't even get the ability unlocked.

The extent to which the RNG is ever-present, even at the very beginning of the game, is Darkest Dungeon's biggest problem. It is genuinely possible to roll poorly and die in the tutorial level, with the preset characters, before you even make it to the mansion.

Being accustomed to roguelikes, I have no trouble accepting a few uncannily bad dice-rolls and powering through to the point where you're given some agency over your stats and upgrades and your success in the game becomes somewhat self-sustainable. But the fact that even while making smart, conservative decisions, it's possible to gameover before you even have the ability to recruit more dudes is ludicrous.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I want to join in this thread but am quite happy with games :(

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sunswipe posted:

Kaidan Alenko is a great character because not only does he have no personal sidequest, but even in his dialogue tree where he talks about issues in his past... he concludes that he's already gotten over it and is fine now, and doesn't have anything to really be concerned about other than the occasional migraine.

Jacob in Mass Effect 3 is almost as uninteresting but he has the amazing bonus that not only does he get really uncomfortable if you hit on him to the point that the 'romance' seems like sexual harassment (also "Heavy risk... but the PRIIIIZE") but he then dumps you between games and actually finds someone else.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Kaidan was cool, just pretty milquetoast. it would have been interesting to have him around in ME2 when you're dealing with Jack.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kaiden's biggest problem was probably the rape lighting giving him a bad impression.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Kaiden's biggest problem was probably the rape lighting giving him a bad impression.

Also they used the same sweaty Chuck Tingle model turn regardless of your Shepard, so he obviously had a thing for Bruce Willis-looking dipshits in my second playthrough

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Action Tortoise posted:

Kaidan was cool, just pretty milquetoast. it would have been interesting to have him around in ME2 when you're dealing with Jack.

I have a hard time believing that having Kaidan around in ME2 could ever have been interesting

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bewilderment posted:

Kaidan Alenko is a great character because not only does he have no personal sidequest, but even in his dialogue tree where he talks about issues in his past... he concludes that he's already gotten over it and is fine now, and doesn't have anything to really be concerned about other than the occasional migraine.

Jacob in Mass Effect 3 is almost as uninteresting but he has the amazing bonus that not only does he get really uncomfortable if you hit on him to the point that the 'romance' seems like sexual harassment (also "Heavy risk... but the PRIIIIZE") but he then dumps you between games and actually finds someone else.

There was a Mass Effect game after 3?

I don't even remember anyone called Kaidan in ME 1, though I do remember Ashley and finding her thoroughly uninteresting.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
The thing dragging Stardew Valley down is that it's not on the 3DS. I want to play this game while I'm laying bed, not at my desk.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I want to join in this thread but am quite happy with games :(

Just make up some complaint about Dark Souls.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

I have a hard time believing that having Kaidan around in ME2 could ever have been interesting

i'm thinking about how he could trade stories with jack about his experiences as a biotic soldier and all the stuff he went through.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Super Mario 3D Land is dragged down by the same thing as all 3DS games, the stupid control stick being crappy. If you could use a real thumbstick it'd be so much more fun. You also can't use a triggger as the 'run' button which is annoying.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I tell you what, loving Dark Souls :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

peter gabriel posted:

That bit where you're... collecting the souls? from the... skeletons? I guess? Man, I hate that bit.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I always end up having to spend the extra 2.99 a pop for additional bonfires, from soft you greedy fucks

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phlegmish posted:

There was a Mass Effect game after 3?

yes

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/809890716331704320?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
The bad ending to a game I'm playing is so anticlimactic and I'm SO disappointed. I spent 12 hours hoping they'd be like, AND THE WORLD WENT INTO RUIN!!! But no it was just the main person having power (happens in good ending too) and another main guy looking sad and then Tx 2 family and friends 4 ur support lol!!!!

Why make a bad ending if it isn't even bad?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Thin Privilege posted:

The bad ending to a game I'm playing is so anticlimactic and I'm SO disappointed. I spent 12 hours hoping they'd be like, AND THE WORLD WENT INTO RUIN!!! But no it was just the main person having power (happens in good ending too) and another main guy looking sad and then Tx 2 family and friends 4 ur support lol!!!!

Why make a bad ending if it isn't even bad?

You reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhw7VybRUiQ

A) Your female companion becomes the devil and you walk away sulking.
B) You shoot your female companion and you become the devil.

One of these apparently is a good ending. I'm not even sure if they even could be considered endings. It's more like the game laughing in your face "What? You actually FINISHED this piece of poo poo? Well, have another kick in the nuts."

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Dec 19, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

HairyManling posted:

The thing dragging Stardew Valley down is that it's not on the 3DS. I want to play this game while I'm laying bed, not at my desk.
Get Fantasy Life, it's perfect for that.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mierenneuker posted:

You reminded me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhw7VybRUiQ

A) Your female companion becomes the devil and you walk away sulking.
B) You shoot your female companion and you become the devil.

One of these apparently is a good ending. I'm not even sure if they even could be considered endings. It's more like the game laughing in your face "What? You actually FINISHED this piece of poo poo? Well, have another kick in the nuts."

this is alone in the dark isn't it? didn't watch but I know that ending bc it's the best worst ending in any game

peter gabriel posted:

now you're getting it :ocelot:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It felt quite good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

A thing I dislike in the new Hitman game are opportunities. I guess that's what they're calling the ubisoft breadcrumb trail.

I know you can turn this poo poo off but I tend to play games on default settings because normally that's what they're built around. Like in their previous go with Hitman Absolution you could turn off the instinct mechanic but lol good luck to you if you do.

So for example in the Colorado level you're killing some people out in some militia/terrorist compound. Some of them are planning a raid where they ram someone off the road and to simulate the car ramming they have a mechanical ram hitting a car full of crash dummies. But they're not practicing at the moment because the "pointman" is injured. So the game points you towards him then points you back to planning area when you have his outfit and then it points you to the ram when the target is wandering around after you finish a practice run of the raid. You go press the button.

Anyway what it boils down to is the game is really, really heavy on the hand holding because it seems like ubisoft believe the average person can't put two and two together or occasionally because the method of assassination is really obtuse and people aren't going to put it together. Its not a bad game and I'm being a mope harking back to the day of blood money where if they had the same content they would leave you to go figure it out.