Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I think it would be cool if there were arena modes that were objective-based. Other than the random heroes and random rules modes, they're all no-respawn deathmatch/team deathmatch and it's absolutely miserable to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Slime posted:

McCree is suffering from the sheer amount of tanks, against who 76 tends to be the more reliable option. If this was McCree as he was on release he probably wouldn't do too badly, but I know nobody wants to return to the days of McCree right clicking everyone to death. Nerf biotic grenade and the meta of 3xtank/Ana/another healer/DPS will probably suffer. Ana not only puts out fantastic burst healing by herself but she improves the healing of others when her grenade is in effect and can heavily gently caress over other healers, especially Zenyatta.

I mean even if Ana gets nerfed, we might need to look at just how survivable tanks in comparison to the damage they deal. They nerfed everything that actually could kill tanks because tank mains kept crying foul and now we have this poo poo to deal with.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I mean even if Ana gets nerfed, we might need to look at just how survivable tanks in comparison to the damage they deal. They nerfed everything that actually could kill tanks because tank mains kept crying foul and now we have this poo poo to deal with.

I mean, when one of your "tanks" has a one hit combo for nearly every non-tank, you might wanna think about how that shifts your meta.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The current arena mode options are total garbage. Random heros is annoying when you're just trying to a daily quest, and snowballs get really old, really fast.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Unoriginal Name posted:

I mean, when one of your "tanks" has a one hit combo for nearly every non-tank, you might wanna think about how that shifts your meta.

Thing is, without that combo Roadhog suddenly becomes terrible. His viability is based on having that combo available to him. Otherwise he just walks around not hitting anything and feeding ults.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
By the way, has anyone else been getting performance issues since the patch dropped? I am getting some nasty rear end frame drops which completely fucks up my aiming and also feels like the frame drops introduce input lag. Judging by how the winter wonderland splashscreen seems to love eating up my processor (it uses up more processor than actually playing the game, by a longshot) I wouldn't be surprised if they hosed something up.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Slime posted:

Thing is, without that combo Roadhog suddenly becomes terrible. His viability is based on having that combo available to him. Otherwise he just walks around not hitting anything and feeding ults.

characters with one-shot combos are universally difficult to balance, regardless of game. if he can't combo people regularly, he's worthless. if he can do it too easily, he's oppressive to play against. unfortunately, im not a game designer so im not sure whats the best tactic to take wrt balancing him.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Probably reducing the amount of healing that take a breather gives, and increase the cool down for the hook to 8 or 10 seconds. Don't get rid of the combo, but with a 6 second coodown you can spam out the hook without getting punished for it. By increasing hook cooldown time and turning off the full heal capability with the ana grenade, dps heroes like mcree/tracer/reaper/soldier can punish him much more if he misses his hook and can possibly kill him through him taking a breather. Ana is a problem, yes, but roadhog is the lynchpin to triple tank because it's exceptionally difficult to kill him because of his ability to heal to full and how often he can land those instakills.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 18, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I mean, Take a Breather already can be easily out damaged, since a D.Va at medium (0.5dmg/pellet) range can at least tie the healing it does.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Slime posted:

Maybe he needs an actual mitigation skill and subsequent nerf to his one-hit potential so he's not a dps class with 600 health and a self heal then.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Roadhog can puff out his iron stomach and deflect enemy fire for x seconds

I'M READY TO GO FULL HOG

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Unoriginal Name posted:

Maybe he needs an actual mitigation skill and subsequent nerf to his one-hit potential so he's not a dps class with 600 health and a self heal then.

Except that he was fine, even bad, for much of the game's life up to this point. This is a dog chasing the tail solution. The problem isn't with Roadhog, it's with other characters (namely Ana).

He obviously benefited a lot from the decrease in ult charge rate as well, but I would argue that people justifiably complained much more about the "build ults, team wipe" nature of the game prior to that change than they are about tanks being OP.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I mean, if we want to see Ana nerds, it likely lies in the grenade. Maybe change it to a 50% increase/decrease in healing potential instead of 100%/nullify.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They probably need to tweak her fire rate more and gently caress with the grenade entirely but I have straight up no idea what they can do with the grenade.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Nerf all hitscans, discords, and hooks and buff pharah

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Papercut posted:

Except that he was fine, even bad, for much of the game's life up to this point. This is a dog chasing the tail solution. The problem isn't with Roadhog, it's with other characters (namely Ana).

He obviously benefited a lot from the decrease in ult charge rate as well, but I would argue that people justifiably complained much more about the "build ults, team wipe" nature of the game prior to that change than they are about tanks being OP.

On the one hand I can see where people complaining about ults being game-defining were coming from, on the other hand I don't think it's entirely coincidental that now that it takes longer for DPS heroes to build up those big damage ults that even with nerfs to Ana's nanoboost we're still seeing people lean on characters with high hitpoints as comp cornerstones. Roadhog's actual balancing factor was for the longest time that he was a big, fat, easy ult battery for the red team to grind off of so maybe he could get those picks but the red team was going to get those ults out that much more often. I mean, he was also pretty bad back in the 50% discord days but so were a lot of things.

Elliotw2 posted:

They probably need to tweak her fire rate more and gently caress with the grenade entirely but I have straight up no idea what they can do with the grenade.

Aside from adjusting radius and the like I still maintain that the easiest and possibly best change they could make would be to decouple the "enhance ally healing" function of the grenade and give it to Mercy as some kind of new ability. Let Ana keep the enemy heal debuff and burst damage/heal aspect of it, it's still plenty useful in that regard, but it's her ability to enhance her own HPS as well as that of like an allied Lucio that overtunes her in my opinion.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They aren't ever going to make the 1 star difficulty characters more complicated.

e: that's probably too absolute of a statement but Ana's heal grenade is complicated and weird in a few ways. I don't think they'd put it on Mercy.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 18, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, when I remember to use the drat thing Sym's shield is pretty dang useful. I assume it doesn't damage people who it goes through?

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They aren't ever going to make the 1 star difficulty characters more complicated.

e: that's probably too absolute of a statement but Ana's heal grenade is complicated and weird in a few ways. I don't think they'd put it on Mercy.

While I don't think they'd actually do it, "press this button to make healing stronger" isn't an especially complicated concept. It sounds like the idea is that Ana would still keep the area heal and healing denial aspects of the grenade while Mercy would have some sort of way to temporarily make healing stronger in a radius around her or something.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't stop playing mystery heroes

It's so bad but I love it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess, although that seems a bit similar to Lucio's Amp It Up.

SurelyForth
May 21, 2007

Ehud posted:

I can't stop playing mystery heroes

It's so bad but I love it

Same here. I'm not thrilled about the limited map selection right now, but I'm still having so much fun with it. There is nothing like getting served a hero you've struggled with only to have it click at the best possible time.

Also, compared to weekend QP, Mystery Heroes seems to hit on good comps at a far higher rate and what salt there is tends to be directed at RNG and not other players.

SurelyForth fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 18, 2016

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
How about changing the grenade so it either only buffs/debuffs healing or does the burst heal/damage, but not both.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I have gotten plenty of dupes over the months, but I think this is my first time getting something for the first time and then a duplicate in the same box. Didn't even think it was possible:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That happened to me yesterday, also with a seasonal player icon. The fact it's possible is really something

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That happened to me yesterday, also with a seasonal player icon. The fact it's possible is really something

I wonder if it's possible then, however slim, to receive two of the same legendary skins in one box.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Caeks posted:

I wonder if it's possible then, however slim, to receive two of the same legendary skins in one box.

extremely

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Blizzard already talked in a bluepost about how they'd like to give Mercy another ability, they just want it to be the right one and none of the things they've tinkered with have "felt right" to them, so the concept isn't inherently a non-starter. All I'm envisioning is something like "press E to use an AoE centered on yourself, everyone affected by it gets a tiny burst heal of X and the double-healing buff for Y seconds," put it on a cooldown of like 12-15 seconds or so.

Right now Mercy is honestly in pretty poor shape. Like I won't turn a Mercy player away because hey, support, but for the dedicated YOU ARE A HEALER hero she does worse healing than Ana, doesn't contribute much to the "killing people" portion of the game, and with the changes to ult charge times she isn't even a reliable rez battery anymore, especially as you go higher up the ladder where people know how to pull off coordinated, ultra-aggressive pushes before Mercy can get her rez up. If Mercy is supposed to be The Healer then frankly I'd rather than she get something to help her with that and for Ana to get some minor adjustments to try and bring them both into line instead of simply nerfing Ana into the ground and everybody shrugging and ditching both to go back to Zen/Lucio.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Won't be able to play for the rest of the Winter event so I just bought myself 22 loot boxes.

Got Nutcracker Zen, Shiver Reaper and Roadolph. Zaryas Gift emote popped out of one but mostly a lot of sprays and user icons I'll never use. Also so many duplicates.

No Yeti Winston, which is what I really wanted so that means Christmas is ruined.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Is matchmaking just broken lately?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Matchmaking is surprisingly docile in the AM.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh man I just played Torb on defense of Hanamura and people lost their minds. Then we won and I walked away with three golds and a silver, POTG, and a card for 50% of the team's eliminations. My team never stopped freaking out telling me I sucked, right to the very end when SR points were distributed. I love this game. :)

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Digital_Jesus posted:

Matchmaking is surprisingly docile in the AM.

I left an overwatch match that ended in four people on voice literally screaming at each other for loving up, just a four-way free for all at max volume on voice comms, and read this post and it made me laugh. Thank you for alleviating my feelsbad about not doing as well as I could have and losing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Oh man I just played Torb on defense of Hanamura and people lost their minds. Then we won and I walked away with three golds and a silver, POTG, and a card for 50% of the team's eliminations. My team never stopped freaking out telling me I sucked, right to the very end when SR points were distributed. I love this game. :)

People rage on Torb so often, maybe because he doesn't fit in the 2 healer/2 tank/2 dps groupthink? Even though he can do good dps, and armor provides a form of heal. I find him to be really effective.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Torb might be legit decent at lower ranks due to people being worse at aiming and aimbots therefore being more valuable. Same applies to Symmetra. I think some people at lower ranks sometimes just insist on copying what people do in the high level game even though it doesn't necessarily work (eg Reinhardt can be pretty bad on a disorganized team).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mukaikubo posted:

I left an overwatch match that ended in four people on voice literally screaming at each other for loving up, just a four-way free for all at max volume on voice comms, and read this post and it made me laugh. Thank you for alleviating my feelsbad about not doing as well as I could have and losing.

Oh! I had a pubbie two days ago on Comp - literally from beginning to MVP cards - in King's Row continuously scream and sing into his mic and use a colorful array of slurs while saying he was throwing the match at the top of his voice.

With a slight lisp and much heavier New Jersey/Bronx accent. :shepicide:

It was funny for a bit of how random and ridiculous this guy (either trolling or on hard drugs, couldn't tell which, maybe both?) was out of nowhere, but then I tired of it and put him on mute and filed a report for Blizzard at the beginning of the second round.

C'est la vie...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Won't be able to play for the rest of the Winter event so I just bought myself 22 loot boxes.

Got Nutcracker Zen, Shiver Reaper and Roadolph. Zaryas Gift emote popped out of one but mostly a lot of sprays and user icons I'll never use. Also so many duplicates.

No Yeti Winston, which is what I really wanted so that means Christmas is ruined.

Grats, Nutyatta and Roadalph are the two I want :smith:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is Sombra actually terrible or she just an easy scapegoat because she's new?

Had a team melt down on me for picking her and blamed me for everything wrong even though by the end I had gold objective kills, locked down their tracer so hard they had to switch, and won us a point by counter ulting their lucio's sound barrier. I thought I was doing pretty well but the tears were absolutely immense.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Had a team melt down on me for picking her and blamed me for everything wrong even though by the end I had gold objective kills, locked down their tracer so hard they had to switch, and won us a point by counter ulting their lucio's sound barrier. I thought I was doing pretty well but the tears were absolutely immense.

They are bad at Sombra and think everyone else must be too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Sombra isn't terrible but she suffers from her role being kind of weird and not actually like that of the other offense characters and also her stealth not actually being at all good for popping up right behind people because of how loud you are coming out of it. You use it primarily for sneaking through rather than using it directly for ambushes, and a lot of people don't seem to get that it's so loud. She needs more team coordination than the other offense characters due to how little she can do herself while also allowing her team to do a lot when her ult is available. But if you ult without your team being able/willing to back you up it's useless.