Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

You said a few times that you got Until Dawn because people wanted to see your reactions to it. Since you say you have wait until you can stream it, does that mean you invited people over to watch your face as you played a game? Or that you played through it before letting people watch your reactions?

My wife bought it for me and said that she wanted to see my reactions for herself and didn't want to wait, although she liveblogged me riffing on it to her friends. I wish I could have waited, because yeah, a lot of people wanted to see it and I'm sad that only one person got to see me singing 99 Luftballoons when I got to the balloon part, but she's been waiting a really long time for it, so. I think I thought a very basic streaming would be easier to set up when I learned I might be getting a PS4. Oh well.

I definitely want to do it once I can, so that I can let people who enjoy games reactions watch me fumble through some stuff. Also, on the small offchance that I end up getting a medium amount of semi-regular, I think it would be nice to set up a donation button that donates to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and do some marathons just before the CF walk, to raise money for my little niece. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Did I do good?

Pro-tip: It's really easy to make Daniel Plainview from There Will Be Blood and walk around saying things like "We can get away sooner with a settlement because my new turrets are coming up in Sanctuary Hills" or "Don't be thick in front of me, Deacon."

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So Final Fantasy VI is the first game I've played where an NPC candidly reveals what nicknames she gave to her breasts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

So Final Fantasy VI is the first game I've played where an NPC candidly reveals what nicknames she gave to her breasts.

Is this the one who hits on Cyan at Nikeah? I don't remember it but that seems the most likely candidate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have now played Let It Die, and boy howdy let me tell you: Let It Die fuckin rules.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So when does this game become good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Is this the one who hits on Cyan at Nikeah? I don't remember it but that seems the most likely candidate.

Yep. "Humpty" and "Dumpty"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't think of FF6 anymore without thinking of Awful Fantasy

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ciaphas posted:

I can't think of FF6 anymore without thinking of Awful Fantasy

this is what comes to mind for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5FqRzUlXsg

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Training posted:

It's funny that the finale of MGSV is considered a big plot twist considering they spell it out explicitly in the first five minutes of the game and most people didn't seem to notice, or, didn't want to believe it. Like Ishmael...

No I took note of that immediately. I just figured if they were going to do that kind of twist they'd have a point to it, that they'd build towards during the game. But no, it's really just there for the sake of having a twist and misleading you about other minor plot points. And making some weird meta-commentary. The characters barely even try to justify why they're putting on this whole charade.

It's not like it makes me angry or that I feel cheated or anything. It's just like.... why. Why put this gigantic twist in your game that affects very little of the actual story.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 18, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I more often find myself asking "why use rape as a plot device then detonate the rape victim", but that's just me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

I more often find myself asking "why use rape as a plot device then detonate the rape victim", but that's just me.

Yeah Ground Zeroes is its whole own bag of mistakes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm also not sure how I feel about the all-female elite soldier unit and bosses in MGS4, but I never beat it so :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'd really hate to meet someone who was a huge fan of the Beauties. They make Quiet look like a feminist icon.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

This is my thought when I see rape used as a plot device in pretty much any game. Like in the original LISA (not Lisa the Painful but the game before it) where at first it seemed like "ok this is just trying to be scary" and then by the time Lisa The Joyful happens it pretty much ruins everything by making it all edgy and trying to be like actually all the victims are assholes too and you shouldn't feel sympathy for them or anybody and everybody sucks, gently caress you

poo poo like that bugs me because it feels like they could have said something interesting about the cycle of abuse but instead it just opts for edgy and gritty and dark

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm also not sure how I feel about the all-female elite soldier unit and bosses in MGS4, but I never beat it so :shrug:

Kojima doesn't know what ptsd is lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lizard Wizard posted:

So when does this game become good

Fallout 4? It doesn't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh I googled it and I guess I beat the game already, I didn't realize because there wasn't a proper final boss.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

For an early Christmas gift I got a giftcard and I bought Pokemon Sun with it and amazon keeps telling me that I'll get it a day earlier than expected - first on the 23rd, then the 22nd, and now the 21st! I'm hoping it'll keep doing that so I get it Monday!

Guys I can't wait to get a Litten and go rescue the alien pokemon from another dimension from being destroyed by the police!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah...

Ground Zeroes set up something that was potentially meaningful and had weight.

but TPP never really handled that kind of thing. I mean, it "addressed it" in terms of coming right out and being like there was a bomb in Paz's vagina, and in his delusional fantasy, medic reached up there and scooped it out.

It's like MGS3 all over again.

It's well known that MGS3 is really good. So I don't bring this up often. But there's a really hosed up scene in MGS3. There are some pretty decent rationalizations for it, but MGSV actually provides some retroactive context that again makes me uncomfortable.

In MGS3, there's a scene where Col. Volgin, who has the ability to discharge electricity, punishes/tortures Eva by grabbing he breast and shocking her. Like he grabs her boob and her body crackles with electricity until her stockings get big round holes in them. And this is an uncomfortable scene in MGS3. But it's also not out of character. Col. Volgin is textually a sadist. Not just like, kind of sadistic, but a bonifide sexual sadist. The storyline explicitly outs Volgin as a bisexual sadist. He sexually assaults both Raikov and Eva as part of the plot. So all this is kind of awkward and uncomfortable, but in the end, int he context of the story of MGS3, it doesn't really seem out of place and actually feels pretty thematically relevant.

So when all this hosed up poo poo happens in Ground Zeros, I really don't like it. Like, there's a part in Ground Zeroes where you hear an audio tape of Paz being raped. Maybe. Probably. It doesn't matter, The game leaves a lot of details up to your imagination, but it's a torture tape and it's sexual and hearing it literally made me want to vomit. But I thought "maybe they are going somewhere with this". after all, Ground Zeroes was literally about raiding Guantanamo Bay. Like, there are some serious politics going on here, maybe sexual torture isn't being used in a completely tasteless way and the story is going to do it justice.

yeah, It doesn't.

Even if, on paper, the storyline make sense and is kind of neat, there is nothing that can ever make me hearing those tapes okay.

Like, you can make a game that takes trauma and ptsd seriously, or you can make a game about how mostly naked women with torn stockings are super hot, but when you start mixing them, it starts getting uncool pretty quick.

Like, it made sense, for a game that was about the trauma of violence, and the trauma of lies, and the how spies work, that sexual violence would be a them. Sexual violence is not something that is thematically out of place in metal gear solid. Regardless of whether it should be, it's definitely in tune with he themes of the franchise going back to MGS1. But any time you're going to address a topic like sexual violence, you need to do it justice. If you can't, you shouldn't.

Speaking of which, I am far too drunk to do this topic justice. I just think it's hosed up and I wanted to say something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rich Evans, what did you think about MGS5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUytlAKC9Rg&t=1098s

Yeah... that's about right.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Idk if previously recorded is who I would go to for trustworthy opinions tbh, rich seems like one of those guys who just doesn't really seem to *get* video games from what i've seen of him

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He may not be an authority on anything but that one sentence is pretty accurate.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I said come in! posted:

Rogue One was so incredible, I need to see this movie again. Loved everything about it.
I just saw it yesterday (went on a grand adventure through a blizzard on unplowed highways to get to the theater). I thought it was decent-to-good, about on par with return of the jedi, better than the prequels but not anywhere close to new hope or esb. They did some really amazing stuff that I absolutely would not expect from a disney-owned star wars property, but the references and cameos were rather hamfisted. Great action and ship fight scenes. And Darth Vader being sassy for half of his lines were weird. I was kind of simultaneously appreciative and disappointed that (big spoiler) they killed every single character in the movie. On the one hand, takes some balls to do that and they couldn't really have those characters putzing around during the events of 4, on the other hand, a lot of them were pretty great characters like the pilot and heavy weapons guy. Some of the accents and acting weren't great though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm playing Remember Me and I wish the combat wasn't awful because I like pretty much everything else about it.

It was tolerable until they introduced invisible enemies and robots that shoot at you from the side and exist only to interrupt your combos.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Oh I googled it and I guess I beat the game already, I didn't realize because there wasn't a proper final boss.

Sahelanthropus seems pretty final bossy

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Those playing Shantae: Make sure you trade for the Gem and Blobfish dances at least once, even though you're not really getting a new item they count towards your Item completion %.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
"oh wait the steam sale is on now let's che- oh, no."

:geno:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's adapting the part that persona 4 is based on too. I'm definitely interested but the cast listing seems to indicate the movie will only cover before the main villain enters the story which is a shame because he's one of the best fictional villains of all time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm enjoying Battlefield 1 multiplayer a lot more than I thought I would, as a certified Bad at FPS Games. Being a medic is really satisfying, though I do wish people would let me revive them more rather than insta-respawning, especially playing Domination. Something about this game is definitely my speed more than a lot of other FPS.

Though I do want to give Titanfall 2 another shot. I tried it out on PS4 when they had the free weekend and just got owned over and over because I didn't have a chance to figure out the movement mechanics. I think I'd have an easier time on PC.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

The bosses were just really lame in MGS4, it was disappointing after how unique they were in Metal Gear Solid 1 - 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The bosses were just really lame in MGS4, it was disappointing after how unique they were in Metal Gear Solid 1 - 3.

It bums me out that Kojima sort of gave up on bosses after MGS3. They're lame in MGS4, don't really exist in Peace Walker (the big mech fights don't really fill the same role for me), and are phoned in at best in MGSV.

MGS3's bosses are my favorite parts of replays. I love how many ways there are to take some of them down.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I liked the Laughing Octopus/Ocelot fights a lot in MGS4

Crying Wolf is ok too

e: the peace walker bosses are fun except they have too much health

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the fight against laughing octopus and crying wolf was fun. the actual characters were awful of course. also the REX/RAY fight and snake/ocelot fight were good

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

I liked the Laughing Octopus/Ocelot fights a lot in MGS4

Crying Wolf is ok too

e: the peace walker bosses are fun except they have too much health

I never played Peace Walker much, isn't a lot of it supposed to be done co-op?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Rich Evans, what did you think about MGS5?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUytlAKC9Rg&t=1098s

Yeah... that's about right.

I thought this was a good watch, even over a year later I still like discussing this absurd game. I wish MGSV had more crazy cutscenes. I wanted a game with 2 hour cutscenes that you couldn't skip, that is what I think of when I think Metal Gear Solid. Being open world disappointed me the most.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

the fight against laughing octopus and crying wolf was fun. the actual characters were awful of course. also the REX/RAY fight and snake/ocelot fight were good

Yeah, all of that is true. I liked Crying Wolf a lot more than Laughing Octopus, fight-wise, but Rex vs. Ray was amazing and the final fistfight was also very good.

I suppose I shouldn't complain too much about MGS4's boss fights, if only because Rex vs. Ray makes up for a lot of sins.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I never played Peace Walker much, isn't a lot of it supposed to be done co-op?

Well yeah but I played it both ways and I think the bosses still had enough health co-op that you need to keep setting supply drops for more ammo because you'll run out of rockets (even if you brought like 3 different rocket launchers with you) I guess might be remembering wrong - it was a few years ago

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

peace walker...........

:hehe:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Snak posted:

Yeah...

Ground Zeroes set up something that was potentially meaningful and had weight.

but TPP never really handled that kind of thing. I mean, it "addressed it" in terms of coming right out and being like there was a bomb in Paz's vagina, and in his delusional fantasy, medic reached up there and scooped it out.

It's like MGS3 all over again.

It's well known that MGS3 is really good. So I don't bring this up often. But there's a really hosed up scene in MGS3. There are some pretty decent rationalizations for it, but MGSV actually provides some retroactive context that again makes me uncomfortable.

In MGS3, there's a scene where Col. Volgin, who has the ability to discharge electricity, punishes/tortures Eva by grabbing he breast and shocking her. Like he grabs her boob and her body crackles with electricity until her stockings get big round holes in them. And this is an uncomfortable scene in MGS3. But it's also not out of character. Col. Volgin is textually a sadist. Not just like, kind of sadistic, but a bonifide sexual sadist. The storyline explicitly outs Volgin as a bisexual sadist. He sexually assaults both Raikov and Eva as part of the plot. So all this is kind of awkward and uncomfortable, but in the end, int he context of the story of MGS3, it doesn't really seem out of place and actually feels pretty thematically relevant.

So when all this hosed up poo poo happens in Ground Zeros, I really don't like it. Like, there's a part in Ground Zeroes where you hear an audio tape of Paz being raped. Maybe. Probably. It doesn't matter, The game leaves a lot of details up to your imagination, but it's a torture tape and it's sexual and hearing it literally made me want to vomit. But I thought "maybe they are going somewhere with this". after all, Ground Zeroes was literally about raiding Guantanamo Bay. Like, there are some serious politics going on here, maybe sexual torture isn't being used in a completely tasteless way and the story is going to do it justice.

yeah, It doesn't.

Even if, on paper, the storyline make sense and is kind of neat, there is nothing that can ever make me hearing those tapes okay.

Like, you can make a game that takes trauma and ptsd seriously, or you can make a game about how mostly naked women with torn stockings are super hot, but when you start mixing them, it starts getting uncool pretty quick.

Like, it made sense, for a game that was about the trauma of violence, and the trauma of lies, and the how spies work, that sexual violence would be a them. Sexual violence is not something that is thematically out of place in metal gear solid. Regardless of whether it should be, it's definitely in tune with he themes of the franchise going back to MGS1. But any time you're going to address a topic like sexual violence, you need to do it justice. If you can't, you shouldn't.

Speaking of which, I am far too drunk to do this topic justice. I just think it's hosed up and I wanted to say something.
__________________________/

Seriously though, I agree. A ton of games seem like they're grasping at making points regarding social justice but instead just end up saying "Hey rape/abuse/racism/wahtever is a thing that exists. How about that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Everything in Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain is a callback or allusion to something in the rest of the series, it's great.

• Locked thread