Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well to be fair, if Bethesda would actually fix their drat games instead of pushing out buggy messes there wouldn't be a need for Unofficial Patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

GunnerJ posted:

The Unofficial Patch is a worrying thing in a way because it's become so essential yet I don't think anyone has a clear idea what's in it.

The changelog by my last reckoning does tell what was changed and why in fairly reasonable words, it's just that it's the size of an average constitution

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

The Unofficial Patch is a worrying thing in a way because it's become so essential yet I don't think anyone has a clear idea what's in it.
Nah, it's pretty clear what's in it. You can open the thing with the CK or xEdit yourself and see and they supply the source along side the scripts. Also much like YUP, one of the things that makes the Unofficial Patch projects actually decent is that they keep a solid changelog..

Magmarashi posted:

I'm p sure he did this once already with an up and coming open city mod, just got them straight up run off Nexus.
That never happened. I know Arthmoor is the thread's favorite whipping boy, but the real thing is silly enough. We don't have to make poo poo up.

There was someone who posted an "Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch" on the nexus while Arthmoor and rest of the UP team waited the CK to be released. I can't find it anymore, so I guess that was either removed or he was forced to rename it. Though that was just someone who wanted to become an Internet-superstar with a lovely mod made in xSnip (which means it could gently caress up your game), so screw that guy.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

scamtank posted:

The changelog by my last reckoning does tell what was changed and why in fairly reasonable words, it's just that it's the size of an average constitution

Well, that's the problem. In order to know what's in it, you have to be willing to delve into this huge loving thing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

Nah, it's pretty clear what's in it. You can open the thing with the CK or xEdit yourself and see and they supply the source along side the scripts.

"You can find out if you take time out of your day to make this technical investigation" is not really "it's clear to most people using it what it does."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Like, I'm not bashing the idea of the Unofficial Patch or the good work its done. That's not the point. It's that where "fixing issues" begins and "making subjective calls about what should be in the game" ends isn't clear to the majority of users (who don't have the time or inclination, quite reasonably, to check it out in xEdit or to study its gargantuan change log), yet the majority of users know they need it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

"You can find out if you take time out of your day to make this technical investigation" is not really "it's clear to most people using it what it does."
How is that any different from any other mod in existence though? The only way you know exactly what for example EnaiSiaion's Thunderchild does is if you read it's readme and check what its files contains.
I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say here.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Raygereio posted:

How is that any different from any other mod in existence though? The only way you know exactly what for example EnaiSiaion's Thunderchild does is if you read it's readme and check what its files contains.
Thunderchild is not a name that makes it sound, to the average clueless user (like me, for instance), like it's basically mandatory to have if you're modding at all.

edit: also I'd bet it's got a way shorter readme

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Like, I'm not bashing the idea of the Unofficial Patch or the good work its done. That's not the point. It's that where "fixing issues" begins and "making subjective calls about what should be in the game" ends isn't clear to the majority of users (who don't have the time or inclination, quite reasonably, to check it out in xEdit or to study its gargantuan change log), yet the majority of users know they need it.
The USKP team supplies a complete changelog. It's there. It describes in detail what's in it. Tools like xEdit and MO allow you to quickly see how most of the patch interacts with the rest of your loadorder.
If the user is feeling like a lazy git and doesn't want to spend some time checking things and they end up being surprised by something that the USKP changes that they don't like, then how that not that user's - and only that user's - problem? The information is there, what else should the USKP do?

I'm feeling like you're going for some "Users shouldn't have to read things or do any thinking."-sort of nonsense. If you don't I apologize, but you know modding doesn't work like that.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 18, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

Raygereio posted:

The USKP team supplies a complete changelog. It's there, it describes in detail what's in it.
If the user is feeling like lazy git and doesn't want to check that (or check the contents of the patch themselves) and they end up being surprised by something that the USKP changes that they don't like, then how that not that user's - and only that user's - problem? The information is there, what else should the USKP do?

I'm feeling like you're going for some "Users shouldn't have read things or do any thinking."-sort of nonsense. If you don't I apologize, but you know modding doesn't work like that.

There's a matter of degree, man. Thunderchild doesn't do anything on the scale of the Unofficial Patches and it's not something that most of Skyrim modding relies on. There's a reasonable degree of work users should have to do in order to figure things out, but the sheer size of the list of things the Patch does is way beyond that. And even if a user does take the time to go through it all, if they don't like something, what are they going to do? Opt out of anything that requires it?

"What should the Unofficial Patch team do?" isn't a question I'm proposing to answer and I don't think it's critical to answer. Maybe there isn't anything they can do. But after things like the hilarious dragon voice acting fiasco we all know and love, it's just a thing that bugs me.

eta: If "What is to be done?" really is a burning question, then I'd have to say that since it bugs me, taking the time to look into it and report on it is the answer. I don't have that time right now, though, so I'm not suggesting anyone do anything. It's just a concern I have.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 18, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Warmonger's Armory is now in my Converted for Personal Use folder. I include no readme or changlog because gently caress you GunnerJ. Lie awake. Lie awake at night and twist in the wind about unreported changes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

And even if a user does take the time to go through it all, if they don't like something, what are they going to do? Opt out of anything that requires it?

The exact same thing you do with any other mod where you like 99% of it, but don't like that one little thing: Grab the modding tools and change it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

Warmonger's Armory is now in my Converted for Personal Use folder. I include no readme or changlog because gently caress you GunnerJ. Lie awake. Lie awake at night and twist in the wind about unreported changes.

:negative:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

GunnerJ posted:

But after things like the hilarious dragon voice acting fiasco we all know and love, it's just a thing that bugs me.

What was the dragon voice acting fiasco?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Danger Will Robinson.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

The exact same thing you do with any other mod where you like 99% of it, but don't like that one little thing: Grab the modding tools and change it.

I think that's a step beyond what I'd say is reasonable for most people, but at that point, you're basically saying that the patch may be so big and wide-ranging in scope and do so many unexpected and undesirable things that users need to patch it. That's pretty much the possibility I'm pointing to. That's it, it's not the end of the world, and I'm still going to use it and recommend using it. If there's a point to this maybe in the back of my mind I wondered if there's enough curiosity for someone (like a hypothetical Future Me with free time) to actually investigate it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dr Cheeto posted:

What was the dragon voice acting fiasco?

Not quoting the OP for snark, just for convenience:

GunnerJ posted:

The Unofficial Legendary Edition Patch (USLEEP): This fixes all those annoying bugs that Bethesda leaves in because they're sloppy. If you're using the free High Resolution DLC, be sure to grab the Unofficial High-Resolution Patch too. There's rumblings that many of the "bug fixes" being made verge on subjective judgment calls about "how the game should be." To which, I think the developers would say, "Noooo!" (To resolve this strange bug in the patch which has not been fixed, consider Shut Up, Mirmulnir.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So are there actually any bad changes (dumb voice acting aside) that USLEEP makes? If not, who even cares? It's not like Arthmoor's coming 'round my house and putting up Oblivion Gates in my kitchen or anything.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

docbeard posted:

So are there actually any bad changes (dumb voice acting aside) that USLEEP makes? If not, who even cares? It's not like Arthmoor's coming 'round my house and putting up Oblivion Gates in my kitchen or anything.

GunnerJ posted:

That's pretty much the possibility I'm pointing to. That's it, it's not the end of the world, and I'm still going to use it and recommend using it. If there's a point to this maybe in the back of my mind I wondered if there's enough curiosity for someone (like a hypothetical Future Me with free time) to actually investigate it.

Gonna take that as at least one "no" to the interest check, then. :v:

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Arthmoor has, for the most part, done an excellent job keeping USLEEP on track. Anything untoward would be ridiculed pretty quickly (bad voice acting for instance).

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I think that's a step beyond what I'd say is reasonable for most people, but at that point, you're basically saying that the patch may be so big and wide-ranging in scope and do so many unexpected and undesirable things that users need to patch it.
I'm saying that at the end of the day, the USKP is a mod. Like any other. And like any other mod the author(s) may have included things you like and stuff you don't like. That's simply a thing when it comes to modding. And your only options when faced with a mod like that are to either change the thing you don't like, to live with it, or don't use the mod at all. If you ever come up with a 4th option there, I'd like to see it. But I don't think there is one.

If I understand you right you want the USKP to please everyone. Which is a noble goal, but impossible to do. Because of its size it (like any other big mod) can contain several things one or more of the gazillion users may not like.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 18, 2016

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Raygereio posted:

If I understand you right you want the USKP to please everyone. Which is a noble goal, but impossible to do. Because of its size it (like any other big mod) can contain several things one or more of the gazillion users may not like.

I think his point is less "Please everyone" and more a concern about if there are subjective changes that in the end aren't really what most people would want, like the dragon voice acting. It's a lot like how the fan translation for Final Fantasy 4 just stuck a bunch of pop culture references in where there weren't any in the original text, then the developers just shrugged and said "Can't please everyone" when called out on it.

Not to say there ARE these subjective changes, because who is going to bother reading that huge changelog. :psyduck:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Honestly, Arth just puts the subjective stuff into his "Cutting Room Floor" mod, which is a decent compromise. I read through the changelogs because it's interesting to me, and there's plenty of "reverted change X from before, too subjective."

Edit: And go to hell, GunnerJ, you just made me defend Arthmoor. :smith:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

"patch" implies fixing what is broken. everybody can agree that this is universally a Good Thing, fixing broken things that aren't as they were intended. if your "fixes" don't pass that test amongst your userbase, there's a good chance that you're overstepping your boundaries as a fixboy

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone have any recommendations for light source mods for use with ELFX? I can't see a single thing in the opening Helgen escape.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

I'm saying that at the end of the day, the USKP is a mod. Like any other. And like any other mod the author(s) may have included things you like and stuff you don't like. That's simply a thing when it comes to modding. And your only options when faced with a mod like that are to either change the thing you don't like, to live with it, or don't use the mod at all. If you ever come up with a 4th option there, I'd like to see it. But I don't think there is one.

Well, I'm not really interested in suggesting one, so :shrug:

Raygereio posted:

If I understand you right you want the USKP to please everyone.

what

Yo, how about you actually read the words I type where I explain what I want, Mr. "Read the Changelog!" :v:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 18, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agents are GO! posted:

owned

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

I think his point is less "Please everyone" and more a concern about if there are subjective changes that in the end aren't really what most people would want, like the dragon voice acting. It's a lot like how the fan translation for Final Fantasy 4 just stuck a bunch of pop culture references in where there weren't any in the original text, then the developers just shrugged and said "Can't please everyone" when called out on it.
Then that fan translation is some neat material for the Aweful Mods thread, but do you think those guys are somehow obligated to make an alternate version without those references?
I mean all mods are "subjective". That also goes for mods that happen to call themselves a patch. To give an example: Heimskr is supposed to go to jail if Whiterun goes to the Imperials. If you look at the packages and scripts, it's obvious that Bethesda intended that and the fact that this doesn't happen is a bug. The USKP fixes this. I however happen to like Heimskr's ranting. So i changed that fix to where Heimskr continues ranting while in jail and is set free a few days later. Because I find the idea of the guards getting fed up with him funny.

Should the USKP not have included that Heimskr fix just because I like his rants? I don't see any reason why it shouldn't.

GunnerJ posted:

Yo, how about you actually read the words I type where I explain what I want, Mr. "Read the Changelog!" :v:
:shrug: If you don't like the wording of that, we can change it to something like "The USKP shouldn't contain anything 'subjective'", but that is still impossible. Any mod that wasn't made by you, for yourself, can and probably will contain something you don't like.
If that really wasn't what you're going for, then I guess we're back to where I honestly don't get what it is you're trying to say. Oh well, hopefully this page was entertaining to read for someone.

Burns
May 10, 2008

lol. So that water problem I had posted a few pages ago is back. Tis a mystery.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

:shrug: If you don't like the wording of that,

What I don't like is that I literally, unironically, physically said exactly what it was that I wanted, the whole point of ever bringing this up, and you're ignoring it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

GunnerJ posted:

Not quoting the OP for snark, just for convenience:

Oh, I thought that was just a one-off joke. Had there been an attempt to correct those hilarious lines in the unofficial patch?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

Honestly, Arth just puts the subjective stuff into his "Cutting Room Floor" mod, which is a decent compromise. I read through the changelogs because it's interesting to me, and there's plenty of "reverted change X from before, too subjective."

CRF really is the most reasonable way to handle that stuff, and as much as we mock Artmoor, it was a good solution.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

CRF really is the most reasonable way to handle that stuff, and as much as we mock Artmoor, it was a good solution.

Yeah, and honestly I kinda like what CRF adds. I'll give credit where it's due. I definitely don't think there some Artmoorian rot at the heart of the Unofficial Patch team.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Oh, I thought that was just a one-off joke. Had there been an attempt to correct those hilarious lines in the unofficial patch?
The full story is that the first dragon you fight - Mirmulnir - has several combat barks and one death bark (Dovahkiin Noo!). These lines are active and in the game. However in the English version they don't have any voice files. They show up as subtitles if you have those enabled, but are completely silent. Other languages do have the voice files, so the unofficial patch team decided this was a bug and needed fixing. Which they did with hilariously bad amateur VA work.

It was immediately mocked. Arthmoor & co dug their heels into the sand because they don't like criticism that implies (or outright says) they did something bad and decreed the lovely VA work was perfect and would stay. Shut Up, Mirmulnir was born which deletes all of Mirmulnir's lines because the lines themselves are dumb regardless of whether they're voiced or not.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh, I have never played this game without the unofficial patch and had no idea those hilariously bad lines weren't part of the game itself. When I first killed that dragon I about died laughing at DOHVAKIN?! NOOOOOO!

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 18, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dr Cheeto posted:

Oh, I have never played this game without the unofficial patch and had no idea those hilariously bad lines weren't part of the game itself. When I first killed that dragon I about died laughing at DOHVAKIN?! NOOOOOO!

The other dragons never speak in English do they? Besides ol' whitey?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
On the bright side, it made Vader's awakening at the end of Episode 3 seem better by comparison.

Given one of the words is "Dovakin", how much work would it be to just use the Russian or German or whatever voice files?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

KakerMix posted:

The other dragons never speak in English do they? Besides ol' whitey?

Yeah, only Paarthurnax and Alduin have English lines, I think.

E: and Odahviing!

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 18, 2016

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Dr Cheeto posted:

Yeah, only Paarthurnax and Alduin have English lines, I think.

I was going to say that there was one other dragon with English lines that you only met after completing the main story, but then I remembered I was thinking of Dragon's Dogma :v:

There's also the one you trap in Whiterun who flies you to the final dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Oh how could I forget my main man Odahviing