Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

BovineFury posted:

The world's worst criminals caught in the act. Don't let the baby faces fool you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vktt2wurx6c

I do kind of wonder what it would be like to show these to someone from a culture where kids don't get away with this kind of thing so easily. Like, I'm glad, but I think some parents would go ballistic, not do the common American thing which is to first ask "What are you doing?" like they're not holding 453405 feet of toilet paper streaming behind them like cursor tails on an early Geocities webpage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Kids getting stuck. Almost makes you stop thinking about the poor tanker driver being burned to death in that traffic accident. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXtqUGtMoTk

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Chichevache posted:

Batsu games are the best thing ever and I wish America stole this wacky Japanese idea. Imagine Daniel Tosh, Dave Chapelle, Larry the Cable Guy, and Steve Martin being tortured on TV for 24 hours. :allears:

I imagine it well, but I also imagine if it was done in America various lawyers and things would step in and it would wind up very uninteresting and it'd just be a bunch of comedians eating Guy Fieri's mildly spicy pizza or something and freaking out over how much it burns.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Well Daniel Tosh would probably be up for it, if this clip is any indication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-yin26zbfg

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Nuebot posted:

I imagine it well, but I also imagine if it was done in America various lawyers and things would step in and it would wind up very uninteresting and it'd just be a bunch of comedians eating Guy Fieri's mildly spicy pizza or something and freaking out over how much it burns.

From what I understand, humor in the United States went like this: you have vaudeville, which is slapstick and jokes and skits and things, and it eventually evolves into stand up and what Americans find funny today.
Japan doubled down on the slapstick and hasn't ever looked back.

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat

Nuebot posted:

It would also end up with a laugh track and WACKY ZANY sound effects.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

u sp33k l33t br0 posted:

It would also end up with a laugh track and WACKY ZANY sound effects.

As long as the delightful Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano are involved.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

I'm glad he used his phone to record that instead of calling EMS to come help the man burning to death.

MizPiz posted:

As he very clearly stated towards the end, someone else should have done it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

:cripes:

SUMBADAH CULL NINE JUANJUAN (while filming on a cell phone)

So did none of you watch the video? He clearly said he already called them, and at the end he says "I'm gonna call them again"

Goons... :rolleyes:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Zipperelli. posted:

So did none of you watch the video? He clearly said he already called them, and at the end he says "I'm gonna call them again"

Plus he's at 50+ car pileup, it's a safe bet to assume emergency services are on their way.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Just be safe and check in with 911 every half hour or so.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Plus he's at 50+ car pileup, it's a safe bet to assume emergency services are on their way.

*watches woman being brutally murdered in the street along with fifty other witnesses*

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Outrail posted:

*watches woman being brutally murdered in the street along with fifty other witnesses*

If 50 women were being brutally murdered in the street I'm pretty sure someone would have the wherewithal to pick up their phone.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Zipperelli. posted:

I didn't hear him say it at the beginning. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I should call 911 and report the airliner that hit the World Trade Center, on the off‐chance no one else bothers.” :downs:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If 50 women were being brutally murdered in the street I'm pretty sure someone would have the wherewithal to pick up their phone.

Outrail is referring to the murder of Kitty Genovese in New York in 1964. It was originally reported that over 30 people heard/saw her being attacked but nobody called the cops because they all assumed someone else would. Later some of those numbers were disputed but it still gave rise to something called the bystander effect. Point is, if something may be life-or-death, always always always call 911.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

In a twist straight out of a Shel Silverstein poem, everyone refused to call 911, and they're still trapped to this day.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Data Graham posted:

As long as the delightful Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano are involved.

I appreciate this post, and I appreciate you.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The schaden is now me, I can't stop watching these things and I'm supposed to be getting my poo poo together for work dammit

Yeah, Gaki No Tsukai has some fantastic videos. Too bad American comedy isn't like that.

The rear end game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxXHw_0XzfY

Chinko machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCRRJCGyqPw

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat it. I can't believe I just spent almost 2 hours going "Ok, just one more"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Most of those calls were people trying to get in touch with friends and family, my dude.

The cell network in 2001 was not nearly as robust as it is now.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
5 Rangers isn't really Schadenfreude (maybe for the bad guy?), but absolutely worth checking out if you like what you have seen so far. It's about a group of heroes that completely fucks up their costumes, ignoring the constant set of directions from the bad guy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

American comedy definitely needs giant text overlays and floating head reaction shots.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, Gaki No Tsukai has some fantastic videos. Too bad American comedy isn't like that.

The rear end game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxXHw_0XzfY

Chinko machine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCRRJCGyqPw

Impractical Jokers is pretty close I guess.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ragequit posted:

5 Rangers isn't really Schadenfreude (maybe for the bad guy?), but absolutely worth checking out if you like what you have seen so far. It's about a group of heroes that completely fucks up their costumes, ignoring the constant set of directions from the bad guy.

5 Rangers is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJSdeumzXFU

Love the guy who keeps wanting to be green ranger even if it's been picked already

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

51 years old may be a bit too old for boxing.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Stex T posted:

What are the rules for when someone gets literally knocked out of the ring?! This seems like something that would happen in an old school NES boxing game

*BU-BIFFF!!!! beuewbeuewbewuTHUDDDDDDDD*
*Frantic music starts playing as the ref counts down*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Panfilo posted:

What are the rules for when someone gets literally knocked out of the ring?! This seems like something that would happen in an old school NES boxing game

You get to hit him with a folding chair.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Stex T posted:

Maybe he's just not scrappy enough.
https://youtu.be/PkenYHDfpOc

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Panfilo posted:

Based on the commentators (e. and a random Yahoo answer), it was a 20 count and other people aren't allowed to help him.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I take no joy in watching an old man take that abuse. Fight sports have no happy endings. RIP in peace old punch man.

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

Kennel posted:

Based on the commentators (e. and a random Yahoo answer), it was a 20 count and other people aren't allowed to help him.

What I want to know is why the ref is halfway across the ring when Hopkins is already falling out and still getting pummeled.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
These violent delights have violent ends.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

Outrail is referring to the murder of Kitty Genovese in New York in 1964. It was originally reported that over 30 people heard/saw her being attacked but nobody called the cops because they all assumed someone else would. Later some of those numbers were disputed but it still gave rise to something called the bystander effect. Point is, if something may be life-or-death, always always always call 911.

Yeah I know exactly what the bystander effect is, it just isn't applicable to something on the scale of a 50 car pileup. Also you should probably know that the Genovese murder is much more myth than fact. In reality neighbors and passerby did come to her aid. In fact the reason she wasn't outright killed by her attacker was because a neighbor frightened him off. The thing that actually killed her was how long it took police to respond to the scene of the crime (the attacker watched her after she got away and attacked again when the cops didn't show up).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the orange juice one clearly says 'please use straw hole' so they don't have anyone to blame but themselves

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I feel that these two might be telling them something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell of a failure mode to design into a bathroom scale though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Data Graham posted:

Hell of a failure mode to design into a bathroom scale though.

That’s tempered glass, which is needed for strength and also so it breaks into small, pathetic chunks and not a few deadly shards.

Ideally you’d used laminated and tempered glass, so that if it breaks it’s still contained, but that would raise the cost and then Wal★Mart would buy from someone else and put you out of business.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, it's tempered glass. That's the best possible failure mode for a glass bathroom scale. Regular plate glass you'd end up with sliced tendons and huge lacerations.

Why glass scales even exist is somewhat less clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sagebrush posted:

Eh, it's tempered glass. That's the best possible failure mode for a glass bathroom scale. Regular plate glass you'd end up with sliced tendons and huge lacerations.

Why glass scales even exist is somewhat less clear.

So when a scale tells you that you've put on weight instead of losing it, you can throw it against a wall for a satisfying angry smash instead of a disappointing clang.