Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

vyst posted:

I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm thinking of jumping on that Verizon upgrade deal. If i dont see myself using that Google assistant much what's the recommendation still on the Pixel vs Galaxy S7?

Pixel, hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pixel

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Wrong, the phone to get is the BLU Dash JR W D141w GSM Dual-SIM Android Smartphone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Wrong, the phone to get is the BLU Dash JR W D141w GSM Dual-SIM Android Smartphone.

He said Verizon :rolleyes::rolleyes: I totally thought you were making up that name

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Yup, get this bad boy, root the poo poo out of it, and slap on CM12 nightlies from rootzwiki

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lowen SoDium posted:

So Blackberry is out.

Just a name licenced to TCL now.

Good riddance to bad management.

Who won the death pool?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

They don't have this on Verizon...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

True then get a Pixel, the best phone.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So I dropped my moto X and the screen is black. It's still getting messages and the like though so I know it's on. I already replaced it but I want to know if theirs a simple way to pull the media off of it (pictures and such) without being able to unlock the screen. Turning it on and plugging it into USB is thus far not working :/

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Use power and volume down button to boot to fastboot mode, use ADB pull to get the files

http://www.teamandroid.com/2015/01/08/enter-moto-x-fastboot-mode/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10050925/how-do-i-adb-pull-all-files-of-a-folder-present-in-sd-card

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And backup your poo poo regularly or store stuff in the cloud.

There's no reason to lose contacts, pictures, videos, etc. in this day and age.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Is the Pixel's front-facing camera any good? I've never seen an Android camera with a good front-facing camera, they all look like mid-2000s webcams.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

Is the Pixel's front-facing camera any good? I've never seen an Android camera with a good front-facing camera, they all look like mid-2000s webcams.

It's excellent, but the S7/S7e/Note 7 front facing sensor is the best I've ever seen. Cameras is one thing Samsung nails.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's excellent, but the S7/S7e/Note 7 front facing sensor is the best I've ever seen. Cameras is one thing Samsung nails.

Samsung phones still use TouchWiz right? After having two HTC phones I'm kind of done with any Android UI that isn't stock. Honestly I'm not even looking for an amazing front-facing camera, just one that doesn't remind me of the Logitech webcam I bought in 2004.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Samsung phones still use TouchWiz right? After having two HTC phones I'm kind of done with any Android UI that isn't stock. Honestly I'm not even looking for an amazing front-facing camera, just one that doesn't remind me of the Logitech webcam I bought in 2004.

The Pixel is what you want.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I watched one video about app speed today, comparing 3T, S7 & Pixel. Why the Samsung phone is so goddamn slow? All Samsung phones I've used have been awfully slow, but I thought by now they would've fixed the slowness:

https://youtu.be/otwED6s3rCQ (starts at 1:17)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

And backup your poo poo regularly or store stuff in the cloud.

There's no reason to lose contacts, pictures, videos, etc. in this day and age.

Oh yes there is brother :byodood: :bahgawd:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Does anyone have a Pixel and wish they had gotten an XL or vice versa? Trying to decide between the Pixel and XL. I haven't had one of those larger screen phones so I'm curious how people that have it enjoy it for daily usage. The specs of the XL are alluring but I'm so used to the smaller screens.

*I know i'm being a baby

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have the moto g4 which is nearly the same dimensions as the xl and I like it. I came from a first gen moto g and it feels like a toy now. I thought I wouldn't like the larger size but I got used to it after about a week and wouldn't go back now. I am six feet tall and have normal sized hands so if you are much shorter or have tiny trumplike hands you may not like it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I went from a MXP (which is the same size as the XL, actually with a larger screen) to a regular Pixel and couldn't be happier.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's been 2 months of Pixel commercials on NFL Sunday and I only just realized that I don't think any of them have ever included the word "Android" in any way.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I got the standard pixel, moving down from the nexus 6. I couldn't be happier. 2 years with a giant phone is enough for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

Does anyone have a Pixel and wish they had gotten an XL or vice versa? Trying to decide between the Pixel and XL. I haven't had one of those larger screen phones so I'm curious how people that have it enjoy it for daily usage. The specs of the XL are alluring but I'm so used to the smaller screens.

*I know i'm being a baby

I ordered a Pixel when the blue became available but kind of wanted the XL the whole time, then I finally saw a Pixel XL in stock at a Best Buy and knew I really preferred the XL. That's when the blue XL came in stock and I cancelled the first order and now that my girlfriend's Pixel is here I'm confident I made the right decision for me.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's been 2 months of Pixel commercials on NFL Sunday and I only just realized that I don't think any of them have ever included the word "Android" in any way.

Why would they? Any phone that's not an iPhone is an Android and everyone already knows this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Why would they? Any phone that's not an iPhone is an Android and everyone already knows this.
I read it more as them potentially moving away from that brand entirely, but we'll have to see what 2017 brings.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The full version of the ad actually says Android Nougat (in a blink in you'll miss it sort of way.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

The full version of the ad actually says Android Nougat (in a blink in you'll miss it sort of way.)
Must just be the 30 second TV spots that don't have it then, or I'm not paying that much attention to commercials -- likely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Must just be the 30 second TV spots that don't have it then, or I'm not paying that much attention to commercials -- likely.

Yeah, it's normally cut out. It's in the quick feature compilation flashes on the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rykmwn0SMWU&t=59s

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I read it more as them potentially moving away from that brand entirely, but we'll have to see what 2017 brings.

I don't know that they've ever been particularly strong at mentioning the Android branding. The only thing I can think of that specifically sought to tie Android to the OEMs was the forced inclusion of the "Android" boot screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdhGvK406Do

That said I don't think the Pixel actually uses that boot animation. It just has four dots jumping each other eventually turning into the G:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_U-nOy-mA4

So maybe you're right, no "Android" there.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

I'm not a big selfie person, so I don't have a ton of comparison. But my wife's Pixel took some really nice looking selfies of us when we went to Yosemite recently. Even blown up they looked like something taken by a back/primary camera on a decent phone. I was pretty impressed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incogneato posted:

I'm not a big selfie person, so I don't have a ton of comparison. But my wife's Pixel took some really nice looking selfies of us when we went to Yosemite recently. Even blown up they looked like something taken by a back/primary camera on a decent phone. I was pretty impressed.

Yeah and I don't think posting selfies on SA is a good idea to show an example, but the Pixel front camera is really good for sure.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Can anyone recommend a reliable micro-SD card? The SanDisk I had plugged into my Shield K1 as additional storage just crapped out and I haven't had it that long.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've been using a Samsung one for a couple years and it's held up

It's the orange and white Evo

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vyst posted:

*I know i'm being a baby

Regular sized Pixel is really nice after having a Nexus 6 and 6P. I like typing on a bigger keyboard, but don't really use my phone to watch stuff or play games, mostly just reading, music, and general internet stuff, so otherwise don't really benefit from a bigger screen. Normal Pixel battery life is also really good for me, so again, not really missing the advantages of the XL.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I've been dumping my music onto my old Droid MAXX (XT1080) running 4.4.4. Is there a way to get Android to recognize non-English characters in a .m3u playlist file without having to totally recreate the playlist on the phone? It's cutting a few of my playlists rather short due to either folder or file path issues.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I've been dumping my music onto my old Droid MAXX (XT1080) running 4.4.4. Is there a way to get Android to recognize non-English characters in a .m3u playlist file without having to totally recreate the playlist on the phone? It's cutting a few of my playlists rather short due to either folder or file path issues.
Encoding issue maybe? Try opening the playlist in Notepad and saving it with UTF-8 encoding.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Grey Area posted:

Encoding issue maybe? Try opening the playlist in Notepad and saving it with UTF-8 encoding.

Look at this amazing goon solving my problem with two sentences. Thanks!

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
Best Buy just got the same $10/month for 24 month deal on Pixel today. I got to keep my Verizon plan (my unlimited) and walked out with one.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

LastInLine posted:

I don't know that they've ever been particularly strong at mentioning the Android branding.

Isn't that because they had to pay Lucas Arts/Disney every time they used the word Android in an ad?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Wax Dynasty posted:

Isn't that because they had to pay Lucas Arts/Disney every time they used the word Android in an ad?

That was Verizon and Motorola with the Droid ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Apparently that Nova Launcher special prize for nova launcher prime owners was just some lame contest for icon packs