Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

nmfree posted:

And when water freezes over sufficiently, one can fish there as well.

The ponds and dams are semi-frozen right now and hopefully will be safe to walk on soon, if hockey kids don't scare the fish away I need a hand auger, any recommendations? I mostly target crappie so something small and cheap but not garbage is what I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Can anyone help me find the name of a lure? My attempts at googling have failed and I'm looking for a specific ice fishing jig. The style is close to this:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...33345/cat101073

I think they had a Scandinavian brand name, painted-on eyes, and I remember them being sold in packs of two.

Sorry I don't have any more to go on, but I couldn't find them around here anymore and I had really good luck using them tipped with a wax worm about 10 years ago.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How deep does the water have to be for ice fishing?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Deeper than the ice on top. :rimshot:

Not an expert by any means, but there are a ton of people who do it in a local marina in into maybe four feet of water.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

How deep does the water have to be for ice fishing?

I usually find myself at around 7-10 feet in submerged weed beds for pan fish in smaller lakes. When it's decent clarity you can watch them approach the bait if you look down the hole which I really like doing.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I caught some fish today.

Silver trevally:

a flathead

and some squid (not really a fish but w/e)

I sounded up a big school of kingfish and spent a while trying to jig one up. I could see them on the sounder following the jig up and down the water column but I couldn't tempt a strike. I think the water may still be a bit cold for them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Shoulda added some squid to the jig.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Anyone know of any good fishing spots here in North Georgia this time of year? My son really wants to go fishing. The only place in our immediate vicinity is Allatoona, and that place is a shithole. If there is a good place within an hour of the North ATL area, accessible from the bank or with cheap canoe rental, I'd love to hear it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Shoulda added some squid to the jig.

Yeah. I didn't really come prepared for kings, I was micro jigging with the lightest gomoku rod and a 260 size reel... I have no idea what I would have done if I'd actually hooked one

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

gay picnic defence posted:

Yeah. I didn't really come prepared for kings, I was micro jigging with the lightest gomoku rod and a 260 size reel... I have no idea what I would have done if I'd actually hooked one

Set the drag and let it drag your kayak around.

Learn to live a little man!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LingcodKilla posted:

Set the drag and let it drag your kayak around.

Learn to live a little man!
Honestly this. Fighting a fish that's big enough to literally drag you and your boat around for half an hour or so is something that everybody should experience at least once.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

It actually happens reasonably regularly. I've hooked a stingray that was strong enough to drag my anchored kayak 200m up current through a bunch of boats.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

It actually happens reasonably regularly. I've hooked a stingray that was strong enough to drag my anchored kayak 200m up current through a bunch of boats.

Did you land it?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Did you land it?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Well at least your rod lives on in our memories as a hilarious, wise-rear end reply.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Well at least your rod lives on in our memories as a hilarious, wise-rear end reply.

Rays and flatfish are brutes in general. Always amazed on how strong they feel compared to their weights.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 14, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Rays and flatfish are brutes in general. Always amazed on how strong they feel compared to their weights.

Goddamn, I miss fishing season. Wanna slay some bass so hard right now. Is there any good place to fish around Philly? I might be moving soon. My rod and reel can handle light ocean action (Medium Heavy 6.5 ft rod with 25lb test)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Waiting to land a new job before dropping major coin on a hobie pedal kayak. Gonna be an awesome summer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

It's also surprising how heavy they are for how big they look. I caught a small-ish skate once, less than 1m across and it was almost tough to lift. Granted they're a bit slimy and are an awkward shape but that thing must have been over 40kg.

I didn't get a look at the one that dragged me but the smooth black rays we get here reach a couple of meters across and can weigh in at 300kg. Their shape makes them hard to pull through the water and they have a nasty habit of sucking down on the bottom which makes them impossible to move.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It also lives on in the garden as a tomato stake

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Goddamn, I miss fishing season. Wanna slay some bass so hard right now. Is there any good place to fish around Philly? I might be moving soon. My rod and reel can handle light ocean action (Medium Heavy 6.5 ft rod with 25lb test)

I don't know anything specifically about Philly, but if you head like 30ish miles west you are in smallmouth heaven. That also puts you close to the Susquehanna flats and some great inshore fishing.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I don't know anything specifically about Philly, but if you head like 30ish miles west you are in smallmouth heaven. That also puts you close to the Susquehanna flats and some great inshore fishing.

Nice. I can use my little Mitchell 310 for some crick action.

I picked up some of those Trokar Hooks you recommended awhile back, they're vicious.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Nice. I can use my little Mitchell 310 for some crick action.

I picked up some of those Trokar Hooks you recommended awhile back, they're vicious.

Yea, they are great. Some people don't like them for light line/tackle as they think needle points penetrate better with less force, but I am really liking how the Trokers and the Owner cutting points rip through the plastics with out a ton of pressure.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Tried slide baiting for the first time tonight.

Didn't catch anything but it feels like this technique has loads of potential once I've worked out how to cast a far heavier reel than what I'm used to. The rigs I made to stop crabs from destroying my baits worked really well too so I'm feeling pretty good about the session despite only catching a few salmon and getting very badly chaffed and sunburnt

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I live in the annoying spot where the water freezes but not deep enough to ice fish.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

YarPirate posted:

Can anyone help me find the name of a lure? My attempts at googling have failed and I'm looking for a specific ice fishing jig. The style is close to this:

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...33345/cat101073

I think they had a Scandinavian brand name, painted-on eyes, and I remember them being sold in packs of two.

Sorry I don't have any more to go on, but I couldn't find them around here anymore and I had really good luck using them tipped with a wax worm about 10 years ago.

Are you thinking of Skandia jigs? Those are pretty awesome, come in a nice little package with a polar bear picture on it?

Or theres Fiska Wolfram jigs. Both are good tungsten ice jigs, the clam ones are okay, but I've had multiple break on me now :(.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

DoctaFun posted:

Are you thinking of Skandia jigs? Those are pretty awesome, come in a nice little package with a polar bear picture on it?

Or theres Fiska Wolfram jigs. Both are good tungsten ice jigs, the clam ones are okay, but I've had multiple break on me now :(.

I found them! Marmooska is the line. http://htent.com/catalog/inventory.php?fam=120&cat=85

Drove me nuts for a week trying to find them. 14+ inches of ice on a few lakes here now so I need to get my rear end in gear.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Ahhh the marmooska! I have some of those, I had a couple bad joys though where the hook separated from the tungsten so I stopped buying them :(.

Where are you located?

I'll have to post a picture later, caught a nice walleye just the other day through the ice.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

DoctaFun posted:

Ahhh the marmooska! I have some of those, I had a couple bad joys though where the hook separated from the tungsten so I stopped buying them :(.

Where are you located?

I'll have to post a picture later, caught a nice walleye just the other day through the ice.

In central MN. Not close enough to my favorite lakes in the northwest unfortunately.

Do you use an underwater camera at all? I can't really afford any new gear but was considering rigging up an older smart phone on a line or something and giving that a shot. Seeing fish underwater is pretty much my favorite part of ice fishing

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I don't mess with them, they are just too much of a pain to get setup and pointed the right direction at the right depth. And then once you do the fish move! They are fun to use under the right conditions though.

My one piece of ice fishing equipment I can't go without is my flasher. Absolute necessity IMO.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So I just moved to a house within 5 minutes drive of a few decent sized lakes/ponds and a river, both full of fish. I have been a casual fisherman forever, but never really took much time to actually learn anything about why I was or wasn't (usually the case) catching fish. I've been watching a lot of Jon B. YouTube videos, primarily because he lives nearby and I have internet-detectived a bunch of spots from his videos and learned what baits work around here. In hindsight I think I have been throwing too small of baits in the past. I went on a spending spree and bought like $300 worth of poo poo in the past week and a half to try and tackle the waters once it warms up a bit. I'm primarily going to target large and smallmouth bass, trout and whatever else will bite in Northern IL.

I now have at my disposal the following:

• Medium action spinning combo (Quantum Tenacity)
  • Ultralight spinning combo (Plfeuger Trion)
  • Medium heavy baitcast setup (Lew's American Hero Speed Stick + Abu Garcia Black Max)
  • lovely old Shakespeare baitcast combo which will probably not even be touched
  • 5wt fly setup (Orvis Encounter)
  • Assorted craws
  • 4" Senkos
  • Assorted soft body swimbaits
  • Popper frog
  • Jig heads
  • Gamakatsu assorted EWG hooks, weighted spring hooks and finesse hooks
  • Assorted wet, dry, nymph, popper, frog, mouse and other flies
  • New braid, fluorocarbon and mono line
  • Old lures/worms/etc leftover from the past decade
  • Forceps, line cutter, floatant, other fly accessories

Is there anything else gear wise I might be missing or want? I may get a small jon boat or canoe at some point, but assume I am fishing from the shore or wading for the time being. Anyone else to check out on YouTube besides the popular names like Jon B., LunkersTV, APBassing, etc.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I've done pretty much the same thing. I got started on InformativeFisherman on YouTube because he seemed to get a little more specific than the "googan squad" but I like watching those guys for the comedy and the way they get along. Once I got bit by the kayak bug I started watching KayakBassinTV. LakeForkGuy isn't too bad either, his path into the "pro" fishing circuit is interesting. I can't stand 1rod1reel or BlackTip.

I'm guessing you prefer finesse fishing instead of power fishing since I see no cranks of any kind, nor spinner/buzz/chatter-baits? What about full on jigs (football, swim, finesse)?

hagie fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 20, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

charliebravo77 posted:

So I just moved to a house within 5 minutes drive of a few decent sized lakes/ponds and a river, both full of fish. I have been a casual fisherman forever, but never really took much time to actually learn anything about why I was or wasn't (usually the case) catching fish. I've been watching a lot of Jon B. YouTube videos, primarily because he lives nearby and I have internet-detectived a bunch of spots from his videos and learned what baits work around here. In hindsight I think I have been throwing too small of baits in the past. I went on a spending spree and bought like $300 worth of poo poo in the past week and a half to try and tackle the waters once it warms up a bit. I'm primarily going to target large and smallmouth bass, trout and whatever else will bite in Northern IL.

I now have at my disposal the following:

• Medium action spinning combo (Quantum Tenacity)
  • Ultralight spinning combo (Plfeuger Trion)
  • Medium heavy baitcast setup (Lew's American Hero Speed Stick + Abu Garcia Black Max)
  • lovely old Shakespeare baitcast combo which will probably not even be touched
  • 5wt fly setup (Orvis Encounter)
  • Assorted craws
  • 4" Senkos
  • Assorted soft body swimbaits
  • Popper frog
  • Jig heads
  • Gamakatsu assorted EWG hooks, weighted spring hooks and finesse hooks
  • Assorted wet, dry, nymph, popper, frog, mouse and other flies
  • New braid, fluorocarbon and mono line
  • Old lures/worms/etc leftover from the past decade
  • Forceps, line cutter, floatant, other fly accessories

Is there anything else gear wise I might be missing or want? I may get a small jon boat or canoe at some point, but assume I am fishing from the shore or wading for the time being. Anyone else to check out on YouTube besides the popular names like Jon B., LunkersTV, APBassing, etc.

5 inch senkos throw better. Bass Pro shop stick-o's work almost as well and are more durable. I wouldn't use a light rod for largemouth because it's tough to generate the force to punch through.

EWG is bad for Texas rigging senkos in my experience because the backward facing point slides off the fish unless you let them get gut or gill hooked by waiting too long, you want a straight hook. My hookup rate went up really high after that.

You can fish wacky rig in a lot more places than you think, just don't throw Yamamotos on it without a wacky tool ring or you'll lose a pack faster than you drink your beer.

BPS Stik-o's last forever on it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

hagie posted:

I'm guessing you prefer finesse fishing instead of power fishing since I see no cranks of any kind, nor spinner/buzz/chatter-baits? What about full on jigs (football, swim, finesse)?
I don't really prefer one or the other, forgot to list that I have a couple spinners and buzz baits. I'll probably pick up a few more too to round things out. Most of the jigs are just regular round heads, so I'll add some others to the list, along with a pack of 5" stick-os and the wacky rings.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

First fish of the year!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

First bass too!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

2017 off to a good start!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Hi, fishing thread. My friend and his brother want to go fishing in late June on the Delaware River in NJ. I haven't been fishing for like 16 years, and that was saltwater. I don't remember much from when I went fishing then, but what did stick with me was how fun it could be. My friend's dad has been fishing for a while, and inspired us to plan the trip. He's too busy to go fishing these days, and can't come with us, or he would be guiding us. My friend and his brother are using his equipment for the trip. We're going to get 2 day licenses, and try to do the drat thing. The focus of the trip isn't fishing, but it's gonna be something that we do while we're there. I'm going into it with the mindset that I will not expect to catch anything, but any bites will be a bonus. So a few questions

1) Equipment. Not trying to break the bank, but I'm comfortable with spending ~$100 for a rod/reel/line/ whatever. Trying to go off the OP (not sold anymore?) I found this rod (6 ft version?), and this reel. Are these close enough to goon-approved?

2) Trying to read up, and asking my friend, we'd be looking for brook trout, and smallmouth bass mostly. (There's apparently way more, but that's just what he mentioned in passing.) I've read that bait/lures for these fish run the range, spinning lures, little painted wooden replica fish, rubber worms, rubber lobsters (?), spoons lures, corn on a hook, balled up bread? Is it really that much of a crap shoot, is it all bullshit, or will these fish just be weird and bite or not bite depending on my tea leaves reading?

3) Rules/Regs - Like I said, we plan on getting 2 day licenses. Trying to look up the sizes and what I'm allowed to catch. I don't know poo poo about gently caress, and sort of want to get like a fish pic cheat sheet to tell them apart. Is this dumb? Is there anything else I should be considering to keep myself on the right side of the law? What about fishing etiquette? Is there such a thing?

4) Any goon-recommended learning resources for fishing? Like youtube channels or something? Nothing is too basic.

A lot of these, I'd ask my friends' dad in person, but he's a busy dude and lives a couple states over. Anyway, I appreciate any responses. Thanks a bunch.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Buy like a 6 foot six medium or medium light Shakespeare spinning rod and a 2000 or 2500 size Okuma spinning reel. Both should be about 30 bucks each.

For lures, look up "the Ned Rig" and by the Zman plastics and heads. Figure that you will each lose a dozen per day of fishing. Also look for "Charlie brewer Slider Heads" and some 4" "Zoom Trick Worms" to rig on them.

Both of these will be great for smallmouth, and are both pretty easy to fish. You could also look at getting some small say 1/8th ounce inline spinners, but they are harder to fish in current without losing a poo poo ton of them.

Really though, do as much reading about the Ned Rig and how to fish it as you can, it is pretty much the most "fool proof" lure on the scene today, it is pretty easy and fun to fish even for a novice and has a reputation for catching any fish that can fit it in its mouth.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

Rotten Cookies posted:

Fishing Questions

If you're going after smallies and brook trout you're definitely going to want to snag a moderately priced ultralight, fast action spinning combo with some 4 pound test line spooled on it. I've always liked Quantum's stuff but they can get pricey. For the line you can't beat 4 pound Berkley Vanish.

As for lures, grab a pack of dark colored jig heads between 1/64 and 1/32 ounce size and a pack of Berkley Power Nymphs. Those things are like cheating. Also take a look at the 1/32 or 1/16 ounce Rooster Tail spinners and the smaller size Rapala sinking lures (the smallest size will have just one treble hook on the back).

Staying on the right side of the law is easy, just Google the regulations for your fishing destination. Things to look out for is if you need a trout stamp or national forest permit to fish the particular waters/species you're after. There are also certain areas where only single, barbless hooks and artificial lures can be used, so no live bait or trebel hooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

WTF BEES posted:

If you're going after smallies and brook trout you're definitely going to want to snag a moderately priced ultralight, fast action spinning combo

My reservation in recommending ultralight stuff is that those little jigs and plastics are super easy for the bass to swallow if you don't detect a bite and set the hook right away, which might be hard for novices. I find the Ned/Slider rigs to be small enough to catch any size bass and decent sized panfish, but just big enough that you have a little leeway in hookset time.