Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I really liked how the dumbass robot arm library room/razor sphincter ladder/antenna control platform sequence was like an upside down and backwards Luke Leaving Cloud City, that was cool as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

sinking belle posted:

I really liked how the dumbass robot arm library room/razor sphincter ladder/antenna control platform sequence was like an upside down and backwards Luke Leaving Cloud City, that was cool as hell

The "razor sphincter" also reminded me of this scene from the "Citadel" arc in Clone Wars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_1kv4qjYPg

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I got dragged to see this against my will (not a SW fan ever since I stupidly paid to see Attack of the Clones) and was surprised how much i dug it. Didn't notice any sign of reshoots while J was watching, nor did I realise that the space admiral guy was CGI until reading this thread. (Leia was pretty obvious though).

Is it worth checking out Revenge of the Sith or the animated film? I haven't seen either.

Dunno if you've seen the OT yet, but I hope this is enough to convince you to give it a shot.

RotS is the second best prequel after this one, but not that great. The Clone Wars series from season 2 onward is way better than the movie.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I got dragged to see this against my will (not a SW fan ever since I stupidly paid to see Attack of the Clones) and was surprised how much i dug it. Didn't notice any sign of reshoots while J was watching, nor did I realise that the space admiral guy was CGI until reading this thread. (Leia was pretty obvious though).

Is it worth checking out Revenge of the Sith or the animated film? I haven't seen either.

Confirms that you only see the CG if you want to. You noticed Leia was CG because you remembered her from the original and your brain told you its not possible that an actor looks this close, not that the effect was any worse than Tarkin.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Yeah, everyone's wrong but you dude. Nailed it.

Literally everyone I know that saw the movie and didn't know/rember who Tarkin was had no idea his character was CG until I told them after the movie. If someone miraculously has never been subjected to the iconic imagery of Princess Leia I'm sure they would have thought she was a real actor as well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I didn't remember Tarkin and I had to ask my dad why he was CGI after we got out.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Literally didn't know it was cgi until I read these posts.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Lea was fine, I spent quite a while trying to figure out where they got an actor that looks more like Cushing than Cushing himself, then I figured it out eventually. If I was just rolling with the movie I never would have noticed.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

It's almost like people are different and some people identify CGI more easily than others.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Radio! posted:

It's almost like people are different and some people identify CGI more easily than others.

No need to be a dick about it~

I wouldn't have noticed either unless people were mentioning it here. I mean I was just thinking they busted out a dude that looked like him pretty downpat. I mean it's been like 40 years, it stands to reason they can find people that look pretty similar to Carrie Fischer and Cushing and give them a crack at the mantles. Eventually James Earl Jones is going to pass away and they're going to need someone that sounds similar but I think there's enough folks out there in the past 40 year to replicate Vader's voice.

In general though as I haven't read every page in the thread but did it really feel like the characters themselves weren't really all that impressive? I mean I know people were flipping poo poo about a woman being the main character but she didn't like do anything super over the top or controversial, she was just kinda... there. And the main guy actor was a dick. It felt pretty hard to like him.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Servaetes posted:

In general though as I haven't read every page in the thread but did it really feel like the characters themselves weren't really all that impressive? I mean I know people were flipping poo poo about a woman being the main character but she didn't like do anything super over the top or controversial, she was just kinda... there. And the main guy actor was a dick. It felt pretty hard to like him.

This is the first time we've had a Star Wars main cast that wasn't going to be around for any other movies, so their arcs were really limited by comparison. There was certainly more growth from the main five or six than, say, the cast of Alien sans Ripley. Cassian was a huge dick, though, but he rediscovered some level of humanity by the end.

I look at the Rebellion itself as the main character in terms of growth. They start off as fractious, desperate and terrified, but rally around a new purpose and hope thanks to the efforts of the dirty half dozen.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I can see it pretty clearly in the first shot, but it gets better as the movie goes on. It was never really distracting to me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Filthy Casual posted:

There was certainly more growth from the main five or six than, say, the cast of Alien sans Ripley.

They're not tasked with change, but they act and react with a billion times more vibrancy and life than almost anyone in Rogue One.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Servaetes posted:

and blind monk were really good.

I personally felt that the blind monk was easily the worst part of the movie. He was obviously put there to appeal to kids and sell figurines. They went for the more realistic gritty angle, with people getting shot and blown up. Suddenly you have this literally blind monk slowly walking towards the switch and every single storm trooper misses him. How? There was literally no explanation given for this anomaly. Remember that the storm troopers even take up a position by a trench so they could take accurate shots at the gang. If you'll recall, one soldier attempts to run out and gets nailed before he can even make it out into the open.

It really tarnished the final half of the movie for me. They could have had a X-Wing swoop in to help, or maybe given him a light saber to even out the odds, but the fact that he was able to calmly and slowly walk towards the switch without anyone as much as taking a shot at him was a terrible decision on all fronts. I get that they're trying to appease certain demographics, but if you're going to go for a realistic approach, they should honor that. Especially when it comes to the major plot advancements.

The blind warrior angle was pretty much straight up lifted from Japanese cinema archetype (see the Zatoichi franchise for those who are not familiar with Japanese cinema). Other than the weird bizarre Jar Jar Binks hijinks of the monk, I thought the final battle scenes were excellent.

Granted, if you're a fan of cinema like me you probably also noticed that this movie was so laden with tropes it almost felt like a homage to popular culture. The hero who struggles to pull the trigger, the tough bodyguard with a big gun trope. Hell, you even had the stupid villain draws out the conversation instead of shooting the protagonist dead trope. For the lay movie goer I'm sure the movie was fine, but I found it a bit lacking.

Don't get me wrong, I still thought the movie was entertaining, and I got my money's worth- but I don't think this movie will go down as a cinematic master piece any time soon. Just a popcorn flick to keep me amused until the next one comes along. You're free to disagree but this is pretty much how I felt.

Just so it doesn't feel like I'm groveling I thought the cinematography was excellent, and they nailed the character advancement. The CGI was acceptable and felt it didn't distract too heavily from the movie. Would I go see it again? Probably not. Will I pick it up on Blu-Ray? Probably.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

He didn't get shot because of the force. He was literally chanting that over and over.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

cargohills posted:

He didn't get shot because of the force. He was literally chanting that over and over.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but it seemed ambiguous as to whether he had the force or not, I just kind of assumed he used his Super Hearing to not get hit.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

He was walking slowly without making any other movements. He wasn't dodging anything.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just kind of assumed he used his Super Hearing to not get hit.

That's the force.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Did Jyn's crystal necklace ever come into play?

Robot Style posted:

That's the force.

I mean, I guess. It's just kind of vaguely glossed over.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Is this your first Star Wars movie, or something?

EDIT:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Did Jyn's crystal necklace ever come into play?

It definitely got Chirrut's attention. Without that catalyst he and Baze would've been in the city when it got lit up.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 18, 2016

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How did Luke shoot his missiles in the hole without a targeting computer this is bullshit

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TheMaestroso posted:

It definitely got Chirrut's attention. Without that catalyst he and Baze would've been in the city when it got lit up.

I thought it was going to figure into the climax somehow, like it would activate and she'd realize she had the force or something like that.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I thought it was going to figure into the climax somehow, like it would activate and she'd realize she had the force or something like that.

I'm real glad that didn't happen.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TheMaestroso posted:

I'm real glad that didn't happen.

:shrug: or something

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Servaetes posted:

No need to be a dick about it~

I genuinely wasn't trying to be, it just doesn't seem like there's a lot of places this argument can go.

Re: Chirrut, I think the movie makes it pretty clear he's Force sensitive, since he even says the "Force moves darkly" around Cassian at one point. He's just not a full-on Jedi.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
You could read it as a jedi who has given up his lightsaber, or someone who never got training in jedi ways, or something just.. different entirely. His whole schtick seemed to be in trusting in the force to place him in the right place at the right time, which I thought was pretty great.

Something the new canon outside the films have been going to some lengths to show is that while Jedi/Sith may be the most known and important force users, they are far from the only ones.

VV Luke wasn't a monk though. VV

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 18, 2016

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

cargohills posted:

When has this ever happened anywhere else? Was Luke chanting when he fired off the torpedos? Was Rey chanting when she sliced up Kylo Ren?

It really had no place in the movie. Like I said, that's just my opinion. I'm certainly not alone in this matter either. Just take a look around, it's a common complaint. We don't have to agree. I just found it a bit tacky and stupid.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I think I just got confused by the jail scene because he was like "i'm gonna open the lock with the force" and then someone else does it. He had the "ardent fanboy develops personal skills to fill in for lack of natural talent" arc, which was kind of neat, but like everything else it felt like there were a couple scenes missing that demonstrated that further. His friend kept dumping on him for not having the force, which I thought was going to be developed to further explore how people think the force is a sham fairy tale (this movie missed a lot of opportunities, I think).

edit: did the ship that pushed the big pointy ship into the other big pointy ship at the end have anything special about it? It was framed like some kind of secret weapon but all he said was something like "full thrusters!".

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think I just got confused by the jail scene because he was like "i'm gonna open the lock with the force" and then someone else does it.

I thought this was self-explanatory? He's not strong enough with the Force to use it directly, but he can influence how the Force interacts with others in small ways.

quote:

edit: did the ship that pushed the big pointy ship into the other big pointy ship at the end have anything special about it? It was framed like some kind of secret weapon but all he said was something like "full thrusters!".

Head fish honcho said "send in a hammerhead corvette" after the star destroyer is disabled, and then you see said ship ramming into the said star destroyer, knocking it into the other destroyer. Seems clear that the ship is designed for ramming.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

I find that following the droids bumble around on Tatooine in ANH is suddenly just a tiny bit more nerve-wracking knowing what went into getting those plans. Those jawas have no idea what they're getting into, disabling that little droid!

Their execution shortly thereafter feels very much more expected as well.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bioshuffle posted:

When has this ever happened anywhere else? Was Luke chanting when he fired off the torpedos? Was Rey chanting when she sliced up Kylo Ren?

It really had no place in the movie. Like I said, that's just my opinion. I'm certainly not alone in this matter either. Just take a look around, it's a common complaint. We don't have to agree. I just found it a bit tacky and stupid.

He's a monk. He chants. It's not really a great mystery.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

TheMaestroso posted:

I thought this was self-explanatory? He's not strong enough with the Force to use it directly, but he can influence how the Force interacts with others in small ways.

I guess?

TheMaestroso posted:

Head fish honcho said "send in a hammerhead corvette" after the star destroyer is disabled, and then you see said ship ramming into the said star destroyer, knocking it into the other destroyer. Seems clear that the ship is designed for ramming.

I wasn't sure if it was something we were supposed to know about. It just looks like a rando ship.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bioshuffle posted:

Most IRL mysticism recognises prayers and chanting as just an easy to remember way of introducing the mind (and/or soul) into the right state rather than something like a radio call for a divine airstrike.
The chanting could have been his way of inducing a trance and accessing the meager control he had over the force. There wasn't even any direct implication any of the stormtroopers ever fired at him in particular. There was lot of crossfire. Maybe his control of the force allowed him to "just get lucky".
Guy sniffed the unobtainium shard out in a crowd, could tell tell a sneaky guy was about to do sneaky poo poo, and, you know, probably had some sort of extrasensory capability since he mostly had a better idea about what's going on while being the blind guy.
It's always been ambiguous how exactly the force works and when somebody let Lucas get a bit more explicit and specific about it, Lucas gave us the midichlorian Antichrist.
The harder you burden MYSTICAL SECRET MAGIC with dungeons and dragons rules the more cringeworthy bullshit you end up with.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It would've been neat to see some telekinesis.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It would've been neat to see some telekinesis.

We did, in spades, at the end.

That aside though, I do like seeing a film through the eyes of characters who're ordinary and not tied in with the numerically tiny percentage of actual Jedi.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Part of me wanted him to stand there chanting real hard and actually flipping the switch with the Force, but him just miraculously not getting hit while walking was more appropriate.

"You mean it controls your actions?"
"Partially, but it also obeys your commands."

It's what makes it different from D&D "magic" or super hero powers. It's why child Anakin could do pod racing, it's why Luke was such a great pilot to begin with (let alone the Death Star shot). It doesn't have to be overt, like making everything go into "bullet time" or whatever.

Also, good contrast between Force monk guy doing that kind of stuff, then Vader going on a rampage.

Other stuff I liked:
- Technology has come to the point where droids in the films can do all the stuff they could do in games, literature, etc. Not Trade Federation droid cannon-fodder, big players like maybe IG-88 or HK-47 (whatever that "meatbag" one was).
- Aside from the CGI cast, Red Leader and Gold Leader were extremely convincing. Those WERE just look-alikes, right?
- Seriously, that Vader rampage. It kind of reminds me of when Battlefront first released Vader and had a trailer of him just obliterating an entire team.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mezzanine posted:

Part of me wanted him to stand there chanting real hard and actually flipping the switch with the Force, but him just miraculously not getting hit while walking was more appropriate.

"You mean it controls your actions?"
"Partially, but it also obeys your commands."

It's what makes it different from D&D "magic" or super hero powers. It's why child Anakin could do pod racing, it's why Luke was such a great pilot to begin with (let alone the Death Star shot). It doesn't have to be overt, like making everything go into "bullet time" or whatever.

Also, good contrast between Force monk guy doing that kind of stuff, then Vader going on a rampage.

Other stuff I liked:
- Technology has come to the point where droids in the films can do all the stuff they could do in games, literature, etc. Not Trade Federation droid cannon-fodder, big players like maybe IG-88 or HK-47 (whatever that "meatbag" one was).
- Aside from the CGI cast, Red Leader and Gold Leader were extremely convincing. Those WERE just look-alikes, right?
- Seriously, that Vader rampage. It kind of reminds me of when Battlefront first released Vader and had a trailer of him just obliterating an entire team.

No. Unseen footage
http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-rogue-one-got-its-hands-on-unseen-star-wars-f-1790250545

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mezzanine posted:

I'm glad he didn't flip the switch with his brain powers.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mezzanine posted:

It was apparently some combination of actual footage of them and voice lines from ANH mixed with Industrial Light and Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Wow, that's even more impressive than just finding look-alikes. Awesome.

• Locked thread