Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I have to build my drop decks.

... I don't want to build my drop decks.

I have a HBK-4G, a CN9-A (NCIX) and a CPLT-K2.

My scouting deck is my HBK because it's the only one that goes faster than 81kph.

Does the order matter in the Invasion drop decks? Should I just cut my losses in the scouting decks and throw in a trial light?

You choose the first mech and then decide what to drop in, order doesn't matter. Also consider throwing in a trial heavy or assault in your invasion if you can use them.

Also you can share mechs between decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
What are the current IS trial 'mechs? One of those is appropriately laser-y for CW I think?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
3lbl crab, gauss and 2 ERLL dragon, 3 lbl grasshopper, lrm 40 4ml stalker with tag and bap, and a 4mpl srm 18 Zeus

all of them but the stalker have XLs

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I have to build my drop decks.

... I don't want to build my drop decks.

I have a HBK-4G, a CN9-A (NCIX) and a CPLT-K2.

My scouting deck is my HBK because it's the only one that goes faster than 81kph.

Does the order matter in the Invasion drop decks? Should I just cut my losses in the scouting decks and throw in a trial light?

Grognan posted:

3lbl crab, gauss and 2 ERLL dragon, 3 lbl grasshopper, lrm 40 4ml stalker with tag and bap, and a 4mpl srm 18 Zeus

all of them but the stalker have XLs

Perfect, OK

For the invasion dropdeck you should probably do the -4G, the -K2, the trial crab, and the trial grasshopper

that'll give you a mech to push and a few mechs to poke. can switch out the -K2 for the cent for brawlier approaches

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Oh Snapple! posted:

Faction play skirmish on Polar Highlands might very well be the single worst experience I've had with this game.

Where you went wrong was playing faction warfare :)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I should have time to play with goons tonight, I'll get on comms so I can get the invite. Should have my own mech by then too.

Is there a reason that all these pubbies are using lrm boats other than :effort:?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PathAsc posted:

I should have time to play with goons tonight, I'll get on comms so I can get the invite. Should have my own mech by then too.

Is there a reason that all these pubbies are using lrm boats other than :effort:?

LRM boating is a way for people who are bad at the game to contribute without the onus of getting better. Sometimes this is fine like when they go with a good lurm medium but mostly they do things like bring lurm Atlases so they can feel safe. what this does is it turns what should be a robot that gets stuck in and makes the enemy waste heat and ammo trying to kill and hopefully kills one or more of them in return into a useless trash-heap that gets swarmed by five wounded robots at the end of the round.

So yes mostly it's because they're moral infants.

what were you thinking of buying?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Where you went wrong was playing faction warfare :)

i got a million cbills from my first match in it this week and it's been all downhill from there.. yet i continue to hunger for the taste of that sweet, sweet payout yet again.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pattonesque posted:

LRM boating is a way for people who are bad at the game to contribute without the onus of getting better. Sometimes this is fine like when they go with a good lurm medium but mostly they do things like bring lurm Atlases so they can feel safe. what this does is it turns what should be a robot that gets stuck in and makes the enemy waste heat and ammo trying to kill and hopefully kills one or more of them in return into a useless trash-heap that gets swarmed by five wounded robots at the end of the round.

Either a stormcrow or timberwolf, the wolf has more nostalgia attached to it because I love that thing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PathAsc posted:

Either a stormcrow or timberwolf, the wolf has more nostalgia attached to it because I love that thing.

Stormcrow is always a good buy but the Timber is more powerful right now. You can do laservomit (2 LPL/4ML) or poptarting (2 ERPPC/1 Gauss) or brawling (4 SPL/4SRM6A)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Pattonesque posted:

I built a Catapult with 4x LRM 20s and literally nothing else. Had to strip off every bit of armor from the butt too.

It wasn't very good, but I did take out someone named "Lurm Lord" with it, very early in a round.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I built a Catapult with 4x LRM 20s and literally nothing else. Had to strip off every bit of armor from the butt too.

It wasn't very good, but I did take out someone named "Lurm Lord" with it, very early in a round.

that is fine TBH, it's when people start lurming with Atlases or Timber Wolves or THE SPIRIT BEAR that it gets my goat

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pattonesque posted:

Stormcrow is always a good buy but the Timber is more powerful right now. You can do laservomit (2 LPL/4ML) or poptarting (2 ERPPC/1 Gauss) or brawling (4 SPL/4SRM6A)

I mean, I'm buying them both eventually, but leaning toward the wolf because I like my robots on the stompier side.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've been out of town for a week. How is the new Marauder IIc?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

consensus is very powerful offensively, a bit squishy compared to the OG Marauder but you can do crazy poo poo like 2LBX/20 and 4 SRM6s on it.

top-tier assault but not overly OP like the Kodiak. obsoletes the Warhawk at 85 tons

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Commoners posted:

It's also a weird build in that it's one of the few mechs that benefits from standard heat sink boating.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=30&l=7584e1d2fe88ccb243d103dc1c06cf5db74b6676

I missed this post, but I have to correct you about the single heat sinks thing. If you get DHS and drop endosteel, you can upgrade to a 300 engine, get better cooling efficiency, and still have one extra ton left for whatever (I would suggest a zombie laser in the head).

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=30&l=beb0a61e58137446219e55e779329aa671403dc0

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 18, 2016

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys. Back again for good forever (maybe). Any new lights out?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

I missed this post, but I have to correct you about the single heat sinks thing. If you get DHS and drop endosteel, you can upgrade to a 300 engine, get better cooling efficiency, and still have one extra ton left for whatever (I would suggest a zombie laser in the head).

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=30&l=beb0a61e58137446219e55e779329aa671403dc0

The one factor that doesn't take into account is heat capacity; pretty sure the SHS build would beat out the DHS build there by a wide margin, even though it loses on cooling per second.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Haha, no. It's been over a year. Rumor from PGI is that the next new mech will be a light, but not confirmed yet.

Ever since they changed the preorder packs to be a flat price while MC/CB mechs are based on tonnage, there's no profit motive for PGI to release lights. Also lights are garbage and nobody wants to buy them.

They hosed up pretty bad.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

aniviron posted:

The one factor that doesn't take into account is heat capacity; pretty sure the SHS build would beat out the DHS build there by a wide margin, even though it loses on cooling per second.

extra 6 heat capacity, but .2 heat/s slower dissipation

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Counterpoint: they spent the last year making sure 20 tons was the best size for lights and buffing machine guns. The piranha is 20 tons, uses machine guns, and is commonly requested.

They'll probably release that then nerf lights and mgs again. Like the time they buffed catapults, released a new catapult hero, then nerfed catapults in the next patch.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

The new patch took single heatsink retardation out of play. It's bullshit. DHS is now completely 100% required, because :pgi: hates fun. But at least battlemechs just got a huge buff by stacking heatsinks, so its all good.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Scorch with 4 srm 6s and twin lbx 20s is just a King Crab that goes 64 kph.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

NihilCredo posted:

This is actually correct. I did the original calculations with an XL engine and large pulse lasers, in which the SHS boat edges out the DHS version, but switching to large lasers or ER larges and a standard makes it so that you can boat DHS more efficiently.

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Soupisgood posted:

Scorch with 4 srm 6s and twin lbx 20s is just a King Crab that goes 64 kph.

I just played a few rounds with the ECM Variant with Dual Gauss, and 2x ERLL. I know there's definitely builds with more firepower, but it brings a lot of pain for how cool it runs.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I enjoy my four ppc king crab

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

Commoners posted:

This is actually correct. I did the original calculations with an XL engine and large pulse lasers, in which the SHS boat edges out the DHS version, but switching to large lasers or ER larges and a standard makes it so that you can boat DHS more efficiently.

What's your Mist Lynx missile build?

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Anita Dickinme posted:

No, but they buffed machine guns. So, Urbanmechs are more than viable right now.

johntherussian
Nov 12, 2012

Fallen Rib

Beraiye posted:

No, but they buffed machine guns. So, Urbanmechs are more than viable right now.

The best thing is how incredibly incompetent pubbies are with machine guns that they feel the need to cry to buff them. When machine guns have always been viable. :ssh:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

My profile page says I have 192 hours (8 days) of banked premium time. I have no idea where it comes from (the only pack I ever bought was the smallest Resistance 2 pack, which doesn't include premium time), and the in-game display says I have 0D 0H 0M remaining - though the "Activate" button is still enabled.

Any idea as to what has happened?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

NihilCredo posted:

My profile page says I have 192 hours (8 days) of banked premium time. I have no idea where it comes from (the only pack I ever bought was the smallest Resistance 2 pack, which doesn't include premium time), and the in-game display says I have 0D 0H 0M remaining - though the "Activate" button is still enabled.

Any idea as to what has happened?
The in game display only shows active premium time. Activate would turn your banked time into active time.

As to where you got it, there were some old events that gave banked premium time. Maybe you did some of them and forgot?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Whatever you do, don't activate your premium time in game :pgi:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah they used to give away premium during events and it was stored waiting to be activated; eight days is a small enough amount that it sounds like that's what happened.

Doesn't make a difference if you activate it in-game or not for eight days though I think the shortest period of time you can activate it for is two weeks? If you use the in-game activate though it just does it all at once whereas the website lets you choose, or at least this is how it used to work.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
How did it take me this long to build the 6 ac2 idiot crabbe

Good lord I almost feel sorry for the pubs :black101:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Banano posted:

How did it take me this long to build the 6 ac2 idiot crabbe

Good lord I almost feel sorry for the pubs :black101:

Took you this long because the AC2 just got buffed last month and was not as worth running before.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Speaking of profiles how did I get 370hrs of robutt shooting :cripes:?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I would have done it regardless of how good they were. My inner ork would not have been able to resist

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
36 tons of shooting

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Banano posted:

I would have done it regardless of how good they were. My inner ork would not have been able to resist

This is why I liked the MAD-3R when it was first released with triple AC/5s in a zombie configuration and loads of ammo. You just walked at people holding the fire button down and wiggling your nose a bit.

Walked slowly that is. I downgraded the engine slightly for more ammo so I think it was scraping 60 kph top speed from memory.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DancingShade posted:

This is why I liked the MAD-3R when it was first released with triple AC/5s in a zombie configuration and loads of ammo. You just walked at people holding the fire button down and wiggling your nose a bit.

Walked slowly that is. I downgraded the engine slightly for more ammo so I think it was scraping 60 kph top speed from memory.

Man I want that banshee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

:rip: Marauder survivability before the resize.

• Locked thread