Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

:worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

So if I want that sweet 4k goodness, I'll need a pro with a 4k TV. But if the pro doesn't have a 4k drive, does that mean I need to buy digital versions of games for them to run in 4k?

games are different than movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is ace combat fully VR or not? Ive been seeing conflicting reports. If the whole game is actually in VR holy poo poo I cannot wait for it, but I keep hearing its going to be another 15 minute "experience"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

So is ace combat fully VR or not? Ive been seeing conflicting reports. If the whole game is actually in VR holy poo poo I cannot wait for it, but I keep hearing its going to be another 15 minute "experience"
Sounds like its an experience. Buncha bullshit

acksplode
May 17, 2004

My PS4 Pro has been randomly shutting sometimes after a few hours of gameplay, I assume overheating. I just tried my luck with support chat and they told me to back up my data and re-initialize. Anyone know any support hacks I can use to get this thing RMA'ed that are faster than waiting a couple days and lying about doing a bunch of stupid busywork?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

acksplode posted:

My PS4 Pro has been randomly shutting sometimes after a few hours of gameplay, I assume overheating. I just tried my luck with support chat and they told me to back up my data and re-initialize. Anyone know any support hacks I can use to get this thing RMA'ed that are faster than waiting a couple days and lying about doing a bunch of stupid busywork?

when my ps4 had the eject glitch i wasn't asked any questions i just said it was broken on the form and sent it in and got a new one in 2 weeks.

just make a warranty claim and they will send you the shipping box. they will put yours on the pile of ones to canabalize for refurb parts and send you a working refurb

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Can you guys give me some hot takes on this bad boy for my PS4: http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/43-class-ku6300-6-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un43ku6300fxza/

I don't have pro yet but I plan on getting one sometime next year -- probably when Horizon comes out if it's good. Does this TV seem like it's worth this price?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ks8000 or bust imo

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Real hurthling! posted:

ks8000 or bust imo

A bit out of my price range right now

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
KU6300 supports HDR input but the panel can't actually display the full HDR color gamut from what I've read, so the image would be compromised. Going to have to unhelpfully echo the KS8000 (KS7000 in Europe) recommendation.

More helpful edit: If you're just looking for 4k resolution gaming, the KU6300 is probably a good choice considering price and input lag etc. It'll handle the "increased peak brightness" aspect of HDR just fine, but you won't get much in the way of additional color depth.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 18, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

omg chael crash posted:

Can you guys give me some hot takes on this bad boy for my PS4: http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/43-class-ku6300-6-series-4k-uhd-tv-2016-model-un43ku6300fxza/

I don't have pro yet but I plan on getting one sometime next year -- probably when Horizon comes out if it's good. Does this TV seem like it's worth this price?

Wait a couple of years for 4K HDR poo poo to standardise

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I'm looking to spend around 550ish dollars -- is there anything you guys can recommend around the price? Sadly the ks6000 is about double what I can spend right now.

Would this question be better served in the TV thread?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

when my ps4 had the eject glitch i wasn't asked any questions i just said it was broken on the form and sent it in and got a new one in 2 weeks.

just make a warranty claim and they will send you the shipping box. they will put yours on the pile of ones to canabalize for refurb parts and send you a working refurb

Thanks for the tip. All their warranty stuff says in big red text that they need an itemized receipt but I didn't keep it, so I guess I'll try going to Target and getting them to look mine up by my credit card and print a copy. I'm a week past Target's 30 day exchange window or else this would be way easier :(

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You could try there, but "real" HDR is a high end feature with matching price tag and that isn't likely to change by March.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

omg chael crash posted:

I'm looking to spend around 550ish dollars -- is there anything you guys can recommend around the price? Sadly the ks6000 is about double what I can spend right now.

Would this question be better served in the TV thread?

The only 43" that does an OK job with HDR and not terrible lag is the Sony, goes for $650 currently.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d

But again unless you have a real burning need just wait. Not that long until CES and news model announcements. This stuff is all in its infancy, and it's a minefield buying a TV right now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Red Warrior posted:

The only 43" that does an OK job with HDR and not terrible lag is the Sony, goes for $650 currently.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d

But again unless you have a real burning need just wait. Not that long until CES and news model announcements. This stuff is all in its infancy, and it's a minefield buying a TV right now.

A minefield, where almost the only good choice (but requires some cash) is going to be the KS7000/KS8000 (though the LG oled would be the only thing superior right now). Anything else is going to be obsoleted really quickly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

acksplode posted:

Thanks for the tip. All their warranty stuff says in big red text that they need an itemized receipt but I didn't keep it, so I guess I'll try going to Target and getting them to look mine up by my credit card and print a copy. I'm a week past Target's 30 day exchange window or else this would be way easier :(

You should try talking to the customer service desk and see if they might let you exchange it anyways. Target is generally pretty lenient about returns as long as you aren't abusing it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I'm looking to buy right now because I'm currently using an old 720p, 22in computer monitor and it's just not doing it for me anymore.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

omg chael crash posted:

I'm looking to buy right now because I'm currently using an old 720p, 22in computer monitor and it's just not doing it for me anymore.

From my research a month or so ago, unless you're willing to go over $1,000 (more like $1,500), 4K HDR TVs are largely undeveloped and it's gonna take a couple of years for their prices to be realistic. You'd probably be better off finding a higher quality 1080p set if you need to buy now.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Looking for some recommendations. Just got a ps4 for the birthday, and exchanging a game that I doubled up on in gifts. I've got FFXV, Uncharted 4 and Rocket League. Where would that exchange be best spent? I'm considering Titanfall 2, got an itch for a shooter that isn't BF1 or maybe Watchdogs 2. Suggestions?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Strenots posted:

Looking for some recommendations. Just got a ps4 for the birthday, and exchanging a game that I doubled up on in gifts. I've got FFXV, Uncharted 4 and Rocket League. Where would that exchange be best spent? I'm considering Titanfall 2, got an itch for a shooter that isn't BF1 or maybe Watchdogs 2. Suggestions?
If you like shooting people you would be doing yourself a disservice not getting Titanfall

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 are the must buy shooters this year.

And overwatch.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Strenots posted:

If you just want a shooter seriously play Doom. The MP is mediocre but the campaign is awesome and you get to play arcade mode to keep you busy afterwards. Snapmap is cool if you like custom stuff too.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Strenots posted:

Seconding the recommendation for Doom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DOOM

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hell, I've played a lot of Doom on my PC wich has issues now and I'm thinking on getting a 20€ retail copy just to keep playing on PS4. It's that good.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just finished Doom this morning and it was easily the best shooter I've played this year.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Got it on PC already. Amazing game. Sounds like Titanfall it is.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

89 posted:

From my research a month or so ago, unless you're willing to go over $1,000 (more like $1,500), 4K HDR TVs are largely undeveloped and it's gonna take a couple of years for their prices to be realistic. You'd probably be better off finding a higher quality 1080p set if you need to buy now.

Maybe I'll just use the monitor for another month and pick up the 49in ks8000 when I can

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

If I can get this in an x-wing. as a full game. I will buy vr.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You should have distracted him with objects.

(Any game that has to have tutorial popups in the final part of the game has failed)

Didn't Portal 2 have a "Press R1 to shoot" moment right at the end? Or am I making that up? I think I remember it would do that if you purposefully left it long enough, which makes sense considering the rest of its idiotproof design.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheDarkFlame posted:

Didn't Portal 2 have a "Press R1 to shoot" moment right at the end? Or am I making that up? I think I remember it would do that if you purposefully left it long enough, which makes sense considering the rest of its idiotproof design.

You have to leave it for a LONG time, meaning you ignored or didn't pick up on the many, many non-explicit signs that you should shoot.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

acksplode posted:

It's possible the PS4 Pro has a specific problem, but some games just punish your console more than others. I remember TLOU doing that to my PS3 as literally the only game. No idea what it is about their games. Obviously this is not acceptable for a new console, but try to see if it's specific to "intensive" games or a general problem with your console.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

You have to leave it for a LONG time, meaning you ignored or didn't pick up on the many, many non-explicit signs that you should shoot.

Yeah, the moment is set up with a lot of buildup leading to it, so you should easily figure out what it wants. A big part of the story is about using moon rock dust to make the portal-conductive surfaces, so seeing that hole in the roof with a clean shot to that nice full moon in the sky should be an easy "Oh. OHHH, YES" :science: moment.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My Destiny white PS4 has started randomly waking up out of sleep and ejecting the dvd in it every now and then. Is this a known issue? is there a fix?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BlackMK4 posted:

My Destiny white PS4 has started randomly waking up out of sleep and ejecting the dvd in it every now and then. Is this a known issue? is there a fix?

It's the capacitive eject button building static over time. Turn the PS4 off instead of Rest Mode.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Why can't I bring myself to keep playing FFXV? Does it pick up the pace soon after you 'assault' an imperial base?

When can I start learning magic?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lite_sleepr posted:

5 minutes into the game? Use the elemancy menu to take the elements you've collected from nodes on the map, combine them with an item, and that will craft spells you equip in one of your weapon slots.

"Magic" is basically grenades in FF15

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lite_sleepr posted:

Why can't I bring myself to keep playing FFXV? Does it pick up the pace soon after you 'assault' an imperial base?

Maybe you're broken :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJPDl9khdLw

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's the capacitive eject button building static over time. Turn the PS4 off instead of Rest Mode.

Does this include the times it beeps 3 times then wakes up? :v:

• Locked thread