Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
God, I think the next part coming up is my favorite part of the game. It's too good.

Edit: Update on the previous page, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There's a trophy for sneaking through that entire part without killing anyone or getting caught, and I swear it might have been the toughest trophy to get.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that, even though 4 has tried so far to show a more realistic portrayal of human strength and effort, Drake still recovers instantly from grievous plot wounds and goes right back to jumping everywhere just like in 2 and 3. :v:

edit: Also, is it me or did it like... instantly go from cloudy and sunrise at 5:00 to plain ol' daylight at 8:30? Maybe the magical element this time around is that the sun comes up real fast in Libertalia.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 17, 2016

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sunrise happens quickly in the tropics! Curiously, it also waits until you're done loving around looking for ancient jars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh man, that part where you drop over the edge above the waterfall, godDAMN that's pretty!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Chip Cheezum posted:

We're back! Updates are back! Nathan's back! Puns can end forever now because Nate's back and there are men to jump on again.

Episode 17: Peep Pipe.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

That Baldurdash link goes to Ep 16. This one goes to 17.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I love the parallels they're trying to make with Sam and Burnes, and just how blatantly they're doing so. It has me really hoping that when that moment comes, Sam has Nate's back like instantly, to throw that comparison out right on its head, instead of the moment of hesitation I'd assume they're trying to foreshadow.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm curious about two things.

1. Does Nate say anything if you head back down to the piton skeleton?
2. Does the treasure map accurately point to treasure locations?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Nate, I don't know if that's a real treasure map. It has a :gizz: on it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Akratic Method posted:

That's where the booty's hidden!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Akratic Method posted:

all the real treasure maps have :gizz: :ssh:

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Geemer posted:

That's where the booty's hidden!

I think you'll find it generally works the other way around.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i hope it turns out there never was a drug lord and sam is just a moocher

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Alcazar actually killed Sam and did major plastic surgery to get Nate to take him to the treasure.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

It turned out the real drug lord... was friendship.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Friendship can be a drug! A seemingly dead brother turning up after more than a decade does mess with your brain chemistry. Much like staring straight at a mythical lost civilization, when you think about it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

stunning penmanship for a dying man.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I wanted the end of the episode for Sam and Drake take a step foward and fall through that matte painting

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The long lost city of Libertalia, which one Samuel Drake believes he discovered after 300 years, but was actually discovered by some dude in Kentucky loving around on Google Maps a couple of years ago.

'cos there's no way that place is hiding in the age of satellites.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still think that Rafe voice needs work. :colbert:

And man, an island that just creates red pandas would be way more interesting than piles of treasure.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The long lost city of Libertalia, which one Samuel Drake believes he discovered after 300 years, but was actually discovered by some dude in Kentucky loving around on Google Maps a couple of years ago.

it'd be plausible if there was a whole bunch of tree cover, we're only just now getting the ability to scan for human disturbances via vegetation and that kind of analysis isn't exactly open to public direction

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I really like the way this island looks. Beautiful, but also kind of sinister.

You just know that bad things can happen here and probably will.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

AriadneThread posted:

it'd be plausible if there was a whole bunch of tree cover, we're only just now getting the ability to scan for human disturbances via vegetation and that kind of analysis isn't exactly open to public direction

One of my advisors during my MA (Anthropology) is one of the archaeologists using LiDAR to uncover old meso-American cities located in dense jungle (See nat geo article here). From what he experienced, it is entirely feasible to detect something like Libertalia using existing satellites and small planes/drones, and for such a place to go undiscovered until modern times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Google Maps didn't exist yet, Uncharted 4 takes place in 1996.

edit: I mean, unless Elena and Drake bought a PS1 because they were feeling nostalgic that is. Maybe the PS1 is another ancient treasure, just like it is today.

edit again: Darn, apparently Uncharted 2 gave a concrete year on Drake's passport and it was 2009. Well it's fun to dream anyway.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 18, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

edit: I mean, unless Elena and Drake bought a PS1 because they were feeling nostalgic that is. Maybe the PS1 is another ancient treasure, just like it is today.

edit again: Darn, apparently Uncharted 2 gave a concrete year on Drake's passport and it was 2009. Well it's fun to dream anyway.

Also Drake recently solved a puzzle by snapchatting his brother.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah, I forgot he has a smartphone in this game. Darn.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Regardless of their smartphone proficiency, none of these people know how to program a VCR. Rafe's been loving up for years and just managed to GPS Sam and Nathan's Phone. This is not a man who can use Google Earth.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

CJacobs posted:

My Dad kept his Atari in his closet when he was growing up, don't think it's unrealistic for Elana to hang on to the PS1 from her collage days

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

I still think that Rafe voice needs work. :colbert:

Yeah. Personally, I think Rafe sounds like a knock-off Steve Buscemi.

CJacobs posted:

I thought we established way back when that Elena is a hard-core old-school gamer like that. And that that PS1 is probably the same one she got way back when it was new. At least, that's the conclusion I came to.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Apep727 posted:

Yeah. Personally, I think Rafe sounds like a knock-off Steve Buscemi.

WAIT, HOLD THAT THOUGHT!

My god, it's perfect! A whiny Gilbert Gottfried! That's the Rafe voice!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apep727 posted:

I thought we established way back when that Elena is a hard-core old-school gamer like that. And that that PS1 is probably the same one she got way back when it was new. At least, that's the conclusion I came to.

She wouldn't have knock off dual shocks if she were an hardcore old school gamer.

Say no to MadCatz

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sinners Sandwich posted:

My Dad kept his Atari in his closet when he was growing up, don't think it's unrealistic for Elana to hang on to the PS1 from her collage days

it is however unrealistic for a ps1 to work more than a year after being unboxed

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Its a small pc running an emulator in a recycled case. Very nostalgic.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blhue posted:

it is however unrealistic for a ps1 to work more than a year after being unboxed

Excuse me my PS1 worked fine for years as long as I turned it upside down

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

My PS1 still works just fine, for approximately two levels of any given game at a time, then it fails to load anything for an hour or so. But that's like a built-in mandatory break feature, so it's fine!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ruflux posted:

My PS1 still works just fine, for approximately two levels of any given game at a time, then it fails to load anything for an hour or so. But that's like a built-in mandatory break feature, so it's fine!

play only games without levels, bam ps1 works forever

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have two fully working fat PS1's, one that is a Frankenstein made from dead friends that works fully*, a slim that is fine and the 2 dead friends hanging about so I can donate their organs to Frank if he needs them.

Not that I ever play any of them nowadays.

*No idea how.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I have two fully working fat PS1's, one that is a Frankenstein made from dead friends that works fully*, a slim that is fine and the 2 dead friends hanging about so I can donate their organs to Frank if he needs them.

Not that I ever play any of them nowadays.

*No idea how.

I'm going to guess necromancy.

Most PS1s don't use human organs. Just... just FYI and all that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my old ps1 slim worked at least until this year when I gave it away

the lovely third party screen that was attached to it didn't tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I have a 100% functional PSone w/screen (the official one) and the only issue I've ever had with it is that the screen's brightness won't adjust; it's stuck at max. Otherwise, it works flawlessly.

Now, if we're talking Dreamcasts, well, my friends and I have gone through a few of those over the years...

And my original PS2 actually did die on me. First the DVD drive started getting flaky, then the memory card slots failed.

• Locked thread