Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

Everything in Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain is a callback or allusion to something in the rest of the series, it's great.

Vagina bomb is still bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Guy Mann posted:

Everything in Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain is a callback or allusion to something in the rest of the series, it's great.

I am ashamed of my words and deeds.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

My favorite Takashi Miike fact is still that he was the voice of Pascal in the Animal Crossing movie.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean the whole point of the scene with Paz in TPP is that it's basically just the medic being unable to cope with the fact that his fuckup caused Paz, Chico, and the other dudes in the helicopter to die, so he sets up this fantasy where she's still alive at least so he can feel like he didn't totally fail.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THe Paz tapes in TPP are wonderful

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

"Hey rape/abuse/racism/wahtever is a thing that exists. How about that?"

Lotta horribly misguided attempts at understanding stuff people don't understand

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nate RFB posted:

Those playing Shantae: Make sure you trade for the Gem and Blobfish dances at least once, even though you're not really getting a new item they count towards your Item completion %.

Is this playable now or something somewhere? I looked it up on Steam and it still says a couple days.

I want more metroid-ish platforming in my life :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ciaphas posted:

Is this playable now or something somewhere? I looked it up on Steam and it still says a couple days.

Kickstarter backers already got their codes, it's not widely available until 20th.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Kickstarter backers already got their codes, it's not widely available until 20th.

Harblargh. What am I gonna do today and tomorrow :mad:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Harblargh. What am I gonna do today and tomorrow :mad:

Speed run pirates curse

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

can't believe the winter sale is nearly here. it's been an entire 3 weeks since the last one. i'm dyin here

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Help Im Alive posted:

Sahelanthropus seems pretty final bossy

He would if that fight wasn't halfway through the game. Apparently they legit had to cut the intended final mission due to going way over budget and Konami pulling the plug. Sure, whatever.

I said come in! posted:

I thought this was a good watch, even over a year later I still like discussing this absurd game. I wish MGSV had more crazy cutscenes. I wanted a game with 2 hour cutscenes that you couldn't skip, that is what I think of when I think Metal Gear Solid. Being open world disappointed me the most.

I really didn't want 2 hour cutscenes but the game certainly was lacking in character in general. It took itself so goddamn seriously compared to other Metal Gear games. There was no fun involved in having Revolver Ocelot as your second in command because he acts nothing like Revolver Ocelot except occasionally pulling a revolver out. It's such a dry game considering it's still incredibly convoluted.

I do agree that the open world has a lot of drawbacks, including making story missions take place in the same town over and over, which really felt weak compared to specifically crafted setpieces like previous games. I guess part of that was just to showcase just how goshdarn good the vaunted Fox Engine was.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 18, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Let's not split hairs here, Konami cancelled TPP when it was certain the gambling bill was going to pass and they didn't need their gaming division to launder Yakuza money anymore.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how is that going for them

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

He would if that fight wasn't halfway through the game. Apparently they legit had to cut the intended final mission due to going way over budget and Konami pulling the plug. Sure, whatever.

Mission 51 would have wrapped up the subplot about where Eli and pals hosed off to but that was it, everything involving Big Boss was finished with The Truth. Also the end of 51 would have just been another fight against Sahelanthropus in a different setting.

If you're really that bothered by it then just pretend that Mission 31 was the end of the game and everything else after that was a really lengthy postgame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Mission 51 would have wrapped up the subplot about where Eli and pals hosed off to but that was it, everything involving Big Boss was finished with The Truth. Also the end of 51 would have just been another fight against Sahelanthropus in a different setting.

If you're really that bothered by it then just pretend that Mission 31 was the end of the game and everything else after that was a really lengthy postgame.

Yes, I know. It was just really weird to not have a clear ending point in the game and this huge dangling plot thread that seemed like an obvious setup for a final boss. I did not crave more lore.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Ciaphas posted:

Get environmental station alpha if you managed to miss it, fantastic game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Klaus Kinski posted:

Get environmental station alpha if you managed to miss it, fantastic game.

Nope! Played it and loved it!

Actually never played any of the postgame. Maybe I'll start playing that again for today.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ciaphas posted:

Nope! Played it and loved it!
Have you played Axiom Verge?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never finished MGSV and probably never will, so can someone explain as completely as possible the huge twist and ending fiasco that pissed everyone off?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

I never finished MGSV and probably never will, so can someone explain as completely as possible the huge twist and ending fiasco that pissed everyone off?

You are not playing as Big Boss but as a body double. This body double becomes the Big Boss who dies in the original Metal Gear. This is revealed by you replaying the first mission of the game with a few minor changes, followed by credits rolling.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That too yeah. Liked it a little less than ESA but still very good.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Ciaphas posted:

That too yeah. Liked it a little less than ESA but still very good.

I played through momodora today. It's way more combat focused and really short, but what's there is really good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

haveblue posted:

venom snake's wife leaves him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

You are not playing as Big Boss but as a body double. This body double becomes the Big Boss who dies in the original Metal Gear. This is revealed by you replaying the first mission of the game with a few minor changes, followed by credits rolling.

Lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Note that that's not the part that is annoying, that's the part that is an interesting reveal that, while relatively obvious by that point in the game, was executed well. The part that's annoying is that that's not the end of the story, it keeps going for a while afterward and then just forgets to end a second time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CJacobs posted:

Note that that's not the part that is annoying, that's the part that is an interesting reveal that, while relatively obvious by that point in the game, was executed well. The part that's annoying is that that's not the end of the story, it keeps going for a while afterward and then just forgets to end a second time.

i don't think that's right .......

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I spent the day playing stardew valley and the verdict is in - it's good

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

I have now played Let It Die, and boy howdy let me tell you: Let It Die fuckin rules.

As someone who is kinda broke-ish at the moment/has more important things to spend money on than new video games, Let It Die is like some kinda Christmas miracle for me. :unsmith:

I'm like 40 hours in to a completely free game and I'm still loving the poo poo out of it. Just broke the level cap for the first time too, so my seven playable characters all now have to get thrown out and replaced. Very good way of including the title in the gameplay mechanics: Time for new dudes, time to let the old ones finally actually die.

It's so gloriously weird and fun and the music's fuckin' fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrET4fkPs7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Cyq0svN2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T-fEbu-s68

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lurdiak posted:

There was no fun involved in having Revolver Ocelot as your second in command because he acts nothing like Revolver Ocelot except occasionally pulling a revolver out.

I believe that is intentional, since it's the first game where he's not putting on an act as a triple agent. This is the one game where you get to meet the real Ocelot, and he's kind of boring guy who tells you to avoid getting split in half by a helicopter's machine gun.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

the enemy sniper...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

I believe that is intentional, since it's the first game where he's not putting on an act as a triple agent. This is the one game where you get to meet the real Ocelot, and he's kind of boring guy who tells you to avoid getting split in half by a helicopter's machine gun.

I don't care why, it sucks. Just like it sucks how Master "Benedict" "Kazuhira" "Snuffleapagus" Miller spends roughly 80% of the game screaming at the top of his lungs that we have to kill Quiet. It's not compelling characterization. You can justify anything as being "intentional" or "making sense" in a work of fiction, that doesn't make it good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
"The laughing scene in FFX is deliberately bad"

yeah but like, it's also, at the same time, actually bad

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Looper posted:

Yes, but only a little bad, as compared with a whole host of scenes that are like actually thunderously embarrassing.

The game would be vastly improved, I think, if they just cut Tidus's voiceover narration entirely. I didn't notice a single place where it gave us information we needed, and it's all stuff like "Seeing that made me feel...... bad." It wouldn't fix all of the problems but it would fix a surprising amount of them.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Looper posted:

It's a decent scene as written but it'd take waaaaay better direction to pull it off than FFX had.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dewgy posted:

As someone who is kinda broke-ish at the moment/has more important things to spend money on than new video games, Let It Die is like some kinda Christmas miracle for me. :unsmith:

I'm like 40 hours in to a completely free game and I'm still loving the poo poo out of it. Just broke the level cap for the first time too, so my seven playable characters all now have to get thrown out and replaced. Very good way of including the title in the gameplay mechanics: Time for new dudes, time to let the old ones finally actually die.

It's so gloriously weird and fun and the music's fuckin' fantastic.

The only thing I don't like is the base raiding element for the sole reason that, just like MGS5, there's no way to opt out of it if you just wanna play the video game and not bother with the base defense stuff. It's a cool idea and I like it but it's frustrating to not be able to give up the rewards for raiding people in exchange for not being able to be raided, something I'm fine with sacrificing. Granted, you lose practically nothing from having your base raided successfully, but it's still pretty annoying.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

The only thing I don't like is the base raiding element because, just like MGS5, there's no way to opt out of it if you just wanna play the video game and not bother with the base defense stuff. Granted, you lose practically nothing from having your base raided successfully, but it's still pretty annoying.

Base raiding is how you get more playable characters and bigger wallets, so it's pretty unavoidable. It's also short and easy and kind of super addictive once you get into it. 100 perfect raids is one of the few trophies I've unlocked so far. :unsmigghh:

I actually think it's pretty cool and it incentivizes you to buy upgrades from the shop more than just running the dungeon would by itself. Weapons/armor from the shop don't degrade at all when they're on your defenders, while ones you find do, so there's a cool back-and-forth aspect between running the dungeon and running your base once you get it started.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it was a clever/ingenious design decision that you can't upgrade your bank/money/death metal carrying capacity until after you've done the raiding tutorial, which is what opens you up to being raided.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Someone just accidentally typed "Yu" instead of "You" to me at work, and now I find myself wondering:

What ever happened to Bob's Game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Someone just accidentally typed "Yu" instead of "You" to me at work, and now I find myself wondering:

What ever happened to Bob's Game?

According to a Forbes article published in January 2015, the developer has given up on the project, and plans to refund backers.[18] However, on January 20, 2016, Pelloni denied this claim as he stated via Kickstarter that he had not permanently stopped working on Bob's Game, and had been pitching the game to investors and publishers, to no success. Pelloni cited an unstable living condition and extensive re-writes to the game's code as additional reasons for the delay.[19]

Really don't think it's ever coming out, the guy sounds too unstable to actually finish this project.

• Locked thread